• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-Rec: a new videogame show from Red Letter Media

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
In what appears to be yet another attempt to get Rich Evans talking about videogames, Red Letter Media have released a new video called Pre-Rec. Unlike their previous game-related show, Gamestation, which more followed the style of their movie review show Half in the Bag, Pre-Rec appears to be more like Best of the Worst, in that the tone is more conversational and less focused on jokes.

8PrkMWO.jpg

001: Risk of Rain [youtube]
002: Banner Saga [youtube]
003: E3 2014 [youtube]
004: Titanfall [youtube]
005: Sonic, The Most Overrated Game Ever? [youtube]
006: Mario Kart 8 [youtube]
007: Invisible, Inc. [youtube]
008: Guacamele [youtube]
009: Alien Isolation [youtube]
010: Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link [youtube]
011: Crypt of the Necrodancer [youtube]
012: Why Mario is more Immersive than Call of Duty [youtube]
013: The Order 1886 [youtube]
014: Hands of Fate [youtube]

morningbus

Oh, good to see this thread get bumped.

I love their videos and their Order review is one of their best.

Derpyduck

Banned
I'm not sure why you expect anything other than a lock.

That said, I find it hard to disagree with many of their points. I bet I'd enjoy playing the game anyway, though.

Not sure why the other thread got locked. Modbot essentially closed a thread and said to use another thread that was locked a week ago.

The Foul

Love this show, always cheers me up when I'm sick of video game shit. Order review was a highlight, but Mike playing don't shit your pants on stream is still greatest of all time so far.

morningbus

I hope RedLetterMedia is big enough to be allowed their own thread, even if they're picking on a high-profile game.

If we don't get locked, I'll go back to the OP and fill in their latest episodes.

Nabs

I'm not sure why you expect anything other than a lock.

That said, I find it hard to disagree with many of their points. I bet I'd enjoy playing the game anyway, though.

There was literally no other place to post it without causing a scene. I'm not trying to hurt anyone, it's a fantastic breakdown that deserves to be seen.

There was literally no other place to post it without causing a scene. I'm not trying to hurt anyone, it's a fantastic breakdown that deserves to be seen.

Well, if the other thread was locked on accident by Modbot, this makes more sense. I figured it was locked for stronger reason. But that other thread just went down.

Toxi

Banned
After watching their wonderful Order 1886 review, I'm definitely watching more of their output. Watching recordings of the Metroid Prime stream right now.

The Foul

WHAT THE FUCK?

Thank you.....for subscribing....

OOOOHHHH MYYYYYYY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!

TBH I was skeptical at first that they were just going to be half-in-the-bag but for games, which it kind of is. But the format turns out to be incredibly enjoyable in its own right thanks to Rich Evans and Jack. When Mike and Jay crossover into the streams its always a fun time.

Reebot

Very often disagree with these guys but really enjoy their output. Everyone should give them a watch just to see whats what - though I'd bet most people will get mad about that Sonic video.

Want more Mike in the streams, having him stop by once in a while to talk about how much he hates games always brightens the mood.

morningbus

It's weird how angry people get about the Sonic video. People in the other thread are even using it as proof that their Order video can't be trusted.

I went and rewatched it, and even though the original games are some of my absolute favorites, they do make some good points.

It's weird how angry people get about the Sonic video. People in the other thread are even using it as proof that their Order video can't be trusted.

I went and rewatched it, and even though the original games are some of my absolute favorites, they do make some good points.
My main issues with that video is you can see that they're completely unaware of how to roll or what it does which is a huge part of the games and acting like the purpose of Sonic to make money for SEGA is so unlike the point behind most successful videogame mascots. I just don't think they paid it the same level of time or respect for the context it was released in compared to other similar games they DID grow up with like Mario and Mega Man.

That's not an issue with most of their other stuff focused on new releases or classic stuff they're obviously familiar with thankfully.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow...I watch Half In the Bag and Best of the Worst all the time, but I only this month found out that Rich and Jack are twitch streamers too. I've been devouring all their YouTube streams and reviews, they're such a great duo to watch. Their manner while streaming is perfect for me, never immature and usually more of a podcast-vibe than a usual twitch stream, they're so naturally entertaining. This is my idea of a perfect twitch streamer, interesting and casual, no gimmicks whatsoever.

Their stream of the Space Quest 1 play through is one of my favorite things in a really long time, between Rich completely amused by everything and Jack's actually-great readings of the dialogue. They did it justice, and I hope they keep going till at least SQIII.

Awesome Space Quest playthrough, starts about 10 minutes in

Looks like they're playing Bloodborne tonight, too. That should be fun considering Dark Souls gave them some entertaining episodes.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Their new Bloodborne episode is really cool. That's what I like a lot about these guys, more reviews should be conversational like this.

https://youtu.be/OTf-_FnGz68

They're also streaming No More Heroes on twitch tonight, should be fun.

morningbus

I hope people watch the Bloodborne review and see that the aren't trolling for hits with their videos like many claimed with the Order.

It's a good review. I'd be interested to hear what they think if they ever play more Dark Souls as a lot of the positives they talked about apply there, too.

mattiewheels

Superflat

Love Half in the Bag; Pre-Rec could really use more opinions than simply Jack and Rich because I find them grating after a couple minutes.

Tagyhag

Love Half in the Bag; Pre-Rec could really use more opinions than simply Jack and Rich because I find them grating after a couple minutes.

They should have a special video with Mike and Jeff Gerstmann.

The amount of cynism and sarcasm for all things in that video would make it so that no one in the world will be able to be positive ever again.

Fox Mulder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMqJWo1XMAs

Another E3 2015 impression video, mainly complaining about lack of gameplay stuff to be honest.

I don't get excited for cg trailers either, they don't show anything. Phantom Dust was revealed last year to some hype and look how that went.

I love how Bethesda just officially announced Fallout 4, which will release this year. I wish that was more common. Nintendo showed off stuff like mario maker way early, and now they are slammed for not showing anything new despite them being closer to release than stuff like FF7 or even Last Guardian.

Corpekata

Banned
They actually spoil stuff quite a bit throughout the video so if you're queasy I'd avoid it. Buy yeah the major stuff is after the warning at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef_ZI7tftZE

Batman: Arkham Knight. 45 minutes long and they start spoiling stuff I think around 27 minutes. They give a big old warning.
I liked this a lot. I agreed more with Rich than a Jack (don't understand the complaints about poor Batmobile handling at all), but they really nailed a lot of stuff like how Predator missions are easier for some reason. And they acknowledged how stupid the (spoiler)
"there was a cure for this last game but now it turns you into the joker"
thing was.

I liked this a lot. I agreed more with Rich than a Jack (don't understand the complaints about poor Batmobile handling at all), but they really nailed a lot of stuff like how Predator missions are easier for some reason. And they acknowledged how stupid the (spoiler)
"there was a cure for this last game but now it turns you into the joker"
thing was.

I'm at the spoiler spot in the video. They're right about most things, but there's still as much fighting and predator gameplay as there was before, definitely more predator sequences than in City (definitely overall, most likely even in just the main missions).

It's also always been easy during the stealth segments outside of modifiers and challenge maps. The increase in enemy numbers and the new enemy types keeps the difficulty on the same level, imo. The lack of challenge maps this time around is what keeps the potential difficulty form being apparent. The few in there are pretty hard too.

I just found out about Previously Recorded yesterday and after watching a couple videos, I have to say it is a pretty good gaming channel. Surprised at the lack of presence around here.

It shows that they know how to pace and set up a discussion very well. Never gets stale and while it at first doesn't look like there is a format to the talking, it actually is well structured and does''t get stale.

I'm liking it a lot as it feels like a different and well thought-out format compared to more "traditional" Youtube gaming channels. And any excuse to bump this to get more people be aware is a good effort.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just found out about Previously Recorded yesterday and after watching a couple videos, I have to say it is a pretty good gaming channel. Surprised at the lack of presence around here.

It shows that they know how to pace and set up a discussion very well. Never gets stale and while it at first doesn't look like there is a format to the talking, it actually is well structured and does''t get stale.

I'm liking it a lot as it feels like a different and well thought-out format compared to more "traditional" Youtube gaming channels.
Most of the discussion just moved to the normal RLM thread - www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=202474095

Top Bottom