• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 64 fan game early Alpha released

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomblord1

Banned
Found this on another forum I frequent made by this user

NOT MINE

It's local co-op only atm (player 1 is keyboard player 2 is Xbox controller)

The game can be found here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2tR2_FH0_yVUVJsTm9KZUtEeFU/view
I downloaded the file scanned it with avast and verified it works not much going on right now though and is a bit buggy. It's a cool concept nonetheless

JohnWhitmer said:
1431453732.ridi_splatoon64alpha.png

This is just a small showing of how the game will play. Things in the demo is 2 player splitscreen, shooting, respawning, jumping

Controls:
P1: mouse and keyboard
wasd move controls
space to jump
left click to shoot
shift to change to squid
mouse to aim

P2: Xbox 360 controller
left joystick to move
A to jump
RB to shoot
LB to chenge to squid
right joystick to aim

Compsiox

Banned
Never saw that before. Amazing.

------------

As for the OP's game cool to see this sort of thing pop up.
Hopefully nintendo notices it's a fan game and doesn't feel it'll affect them enough to take it down

What if they refuse to take it down and their identity is forever protected?

watership

a) this game was never released

b) de blob was before this game even

c) all games are doom ripoffs

It only matters if it was released? In many ways it's very similar in that it's a shooter and your trying to get more of your colour everywhere. Even the two colours are similar, blue and orange. (Yes I know there are more colours, it's just that most of the 'hero' colours used in marketing is blue and orange.)

It only matters if it was released? In many ways it's very similar in that it's a shooter and your trying to get more of your colour everywhere. Even the two colours are similar, blue and orange. (Yes I know there are more colours, it's just that most of the 'hero' colours used in marketing is blue and orange.)

Its a pretty basic idea and those are complimentary colors or opposites. Easiest to distinguish. I dont see how splatoon is a ripoff, its very possible these are entirely independent.

Lynd7

Come on, its paintball basically. The most interesting mechanic in Splatoon is the swimming aspect anyway.

Jintor

It only matters if it was released?

it significantly lowers the possibility that the Nintendo EAD team ever heard of it for starters. even searching for the game on google mostly gets articles about people wondering if nintendo ripped it off or not

KHlover

Banned
ripofflolrcufg.jpg

To end this stupid discussion - no, they (most likely) didn't rip it off. This video probably had like 100 views before the Splatoon announcement, complete flatline..

FyreWulff

That 360 game didn't even do that first. There's been games with that gameplay on the fuckin' SNES.

Also, it's only one mode in the game.

Hackworth

Come on, its paintball basically. The most interesting mechanic in Splatoon is the swimming aspect anyway.
Man, if every game with paint in it is a ripoff of previous ones then the real losers here are the creators of Tag: The Power of Paint. Unless Wulff is correct, in which case I don't even know the earliest painting game.

Theres so many games out there that I bet for every major release if you dig hard enough you can find some game in the past that has the same basic concept, and most of the time they probably arent stealing ideas. Its just theres so many concepts out there and its very likely someone at some time had a relatively similar idea.

woopWOOP

Theres so many games out there that I bet for every major release if you dig hard enough you can find some game in the past that has the same basic concept, and most of the time they probably arent stealing ideas. Its just theres so many concepts out there and its very likely someone at some time had a relatively similar idea.
I know there's someone who created a Portal-like feature on an earlier engine, pretty impressive looking too, but never got an actual game made out of it or anything major.
Last I heard (years ago) he was hella pissed Valve took HIS idea and that they totally owe him money for it.
Basically, sometimes ripoffs, sometimes great minds think alike.

ripofflolrcufg.jpg

To end this stupid discussion - no, they (most likely) didn't rip it off. This video probably had like 100 views before the Splatoon announcement, complete flatline..

Not to be rude, and not to insinuate that Nintendo has ripped anybody off, but I noticed on the YouTube comments section people are saying this as well. It isn't in any way a valid defense.

If I'm a game designer and I see a video and then pitch the exact same idea to a publisher and they pick it up, I've still only registered ONE view. If the view count is 1 or more, then somebody in an influential position could have seen it.

Again, not saying in any way that Nintendo did or did not. Just disputing the "rock solid" defense.

Not to be rude, and not to insinuate that Nintendo has ripped anybody off, but I noticed on the YouTube comments section people are saying this as well. It isn't in any way a valid defense.

why would they even need a valid defense? they could just have copied it, nothing illegal or bad about it.

Kindred Dread

Neo Member
Such a shocker, it's not like the video games industry as a whole isn't full of similar games.

I don't see a problem with Nintendo evolving a concept, and even then it's not like any one entity can be seen as the sole creator of painting floors in video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom