• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Del Toro IGN interview on Silent Hills/P.T.

If you're devastated Silent Hills isn’t happening, you’re not alone - so is Guillermo Del Toro.

Last month Konami officially cancelled the much-anticipated collaboration between the Hollywood director and Hideo Kojima. While a lot of the details remain obscured, it's a consequence of the undisclosed issues surrounding Kojima and his long-term publisher.

While speaking to Del Toro about his next movie, Crimson Peak, I told him how devastated I was by Silent Hills sudden cancellation. "We are, too," he replied. "The collaboration between Kojima and myself, the meetings, and the friendship that was developing was beautiful. We had an agreement on where to go. We had an agreement on how we were going to push the new platforms. We were having a blast.”

Konami has stated it's "committed to new Silent Hill titles”, but what would Del Toro and Kojima’s entry into the long-running franchise have been like? What did they want to achieve?

Here’s what Del Toro told IGN:

“What we wanted to do with the game – and we were very much in agreement on this – was to take the technology and make it as cutting-edge as we could in creating terror in the house. The idea was very, very atmosphere-drenched.

“But what made Silent Hill so great was that you had the atmosphere but then you a pay-off with a very active, very intense series of moments. We wanted to do some stuff that I’m pretty sure – just in case it ever comes back, which honestly I would love for somebody to change their mind and we can do it – but in case it comes back there was some stuff that was very new, and I wouldn’t want to spoil it.

“Norman [Reedus, the Walking Dead actor who was attached to play the lead role] was super happy, Hideo was super happy, and so was I. I know there’s a petition going on the internet and it’s gathering signatures. I would add my signature to it, and hope that someone pays attention.”

This bit here stands out. Sounds like his enthusiasm to make a game is dying, if not already dead, after this and the THQ situation with inSane.

From speaking to him, it's clear Del Toro isn’t a Hollywood director wanting to play in the world of video games; he has a passion for the series, and truly believes in the form, but after two failed projects – the first being Insane, which was cancelled in 2012 following the demise of its publisher THQ – he’s unsure if he’ll ever make a game.

“Well, you know, I’ve tried twice and I don’t know if I’ll ever come back to the form. In one instance, the company went down, and in the second, the completely unexpected happened, which was Kojima and Konami separating. It’s kind of left me reeling.”

Link

sad-crying-cat.gif

wasted opportunity

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It would be better if we had never known.

Sometimes the truth isn't good enough.

Dark_castle

Just take it to Kickstarter with KojiPro with a spiritual game to P.T Silent Hills. It's going to hit its target goal within an hour.

Raist

Banned
Just make the same game and call it Quiet Mountains or something. Do a kickstarter.
Profit.

edit: guys wtf.

Timeaisis

Fuck kickstarter, Del Toro has enough sway in Hollywood to get some big distributor/publisher behind him. Del Toro should just get together with Kojima to make their own horror game.

RE_Player

I love when these film directors discuss games because you know all they would really do is throw some ideas and check in every other month during development.

artsi

Only if we could find a way to travel between alternate universes to that one where this project was actually completed. Such a shame.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Just take it to Kickstarter with KojiPro with a spiritual game to P.T Silent Hills. It's going to hit its target goal within an hour.
This. Fuck Konami and chase your dreams. If Iga can get funded in a day, Hideo Kojima can probably do it in a couple hours.

Sounds like we could have had something spectacular on our hands...

Getting Guillermo was such a smart choice, 'tis a fucking shame what happened to this.

VMAN01

Can't they just start brainstorming a new project together? This doesn't have to be the end.

They could, but they would have to get funding from a new publisher and also Kojima would need his own studio. Not entirely impossible, just difficult since Kojima's games can be quite expensive. Even though I wouldn't want his next property to be platform exclusive, I can see Kojima creating a Sony based studio based on his personal affinity and previous partnership with the company.

AmanoBuff

I don't care if they call it Pink Ponies and the Rainbow Castle, just Kickstart it Kojima. get del Toro and Reedus back and see the ludicrous amounts of money you will get.

DNAbro

I think some people are underestimating how much it would cost to make this game. Kickstarter probably isn't viable.

TimPV3

I wouldn't count on a Kickstarter. Star Citizen has the record at $82 million, and Kojima would blow through that in a weekend.

Skii

Considering Konami are completely abandoning console/PC gaming, would they be willing to sell the Silent Hill franchise to another publisher? I hope so but I doubt it. Sony would probably do the game justice.

One thing I would really like to know is how far they actually got into developing the game before it was cancelled. Did they already record some lines for Reedus or even build any new areas besides the PT demo?

NEO0MJ

I don't think KS can raise the sort of money they needed for this game, unless they manage to get Star Citizen numbers.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm sure there's a publisher out there willing to give Kojima and Del Toro carte blanche.
Sony, I'm looking at you.

Top Bottom