• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any chance Sony will release a Vita-successor for the Japanese market?

Looking at recent Media Create threads, I've come to the conclusion (along with just about everyone else) that, unless NX is a massive success, the home console market in Japan is pretty much done for.

However, the portable market is doing ok. Sure, it's not doing nearly as well as mobile, but I'd say it's not dead....yet.

This got me thinking: even though the Vita is pretty much dead in the west, it's still hanging on in Japan. Because of this, is there ANY chance Sony will move ahead with a successor to the portable for that market? I wonder, because if they don't, isn't the PlayStation brand pretty much done for in Japan? PS4 numbers are abysmal. It's going to take the system a bit longer to even catch up with Wii U's install base.

3DS has been a pretty big success in Japan. Nintendo's next portable will likely do decently as well. If Sony releases another handheld, it likely won't come close to doing Nintendo-numbers but it's almost guaranteed to perform better than any new home console from Nintendo or Sony.

I guess my real question is: what the heck is Sony's gameplan going forward for Japan?? A new Sony portable makes no sense for the west but doesn't it kind of make sense for Japan?

FluxWaveZ

They actually released the Xbox One in Japan. Even if everything "dies," the PlayStation 5 will be released there anyways.

Not going to happen. Sony are done with handheld gaming.

But does that mean they're pretty much done with Japanese gaming, outside of a very, very small niche?

Maybe PlayStation will move heavily into mobile development for Japan?

I mean, clearly Sony is going to continue to do great in the west. I'm just worried for Japan. : (

georly

I haven't been following the NX stuff TOOOOO closely, but was it ever confirmed that it's a home console and not just nintendo's next dedicated gaming device (that can still be mobile/portable?)

That said, I think sony won't be all that likely to make one unless they're willing to try something akin to wonderswan (a cheap to buy portable designed to compete against nintendo's) at which point... it wouldn't be that different from a vita by the time nintendo gets their next handheld out.

I haven't been following the NX stuff TOOOOO closely, but was it ever confirmed that it's a home console and not just nintendo's next dedicated gaming device (that can still be mobile/portable?)

That said, I think sony won't be all that likely to make one unless they're willing to try something akin to wonderswan (a cheap to buy portable designed to compete against nintendo's) at which point... it wouldn't be that different from a vita by the time nintendo gets their next handheld out.

Nothing's really been confirmed.

Mr Swine

Banned
The only way Sony would release a handheld if it was called Playstation 4 Portable. Even then I don't think it would sell more than what Vita does atm

Carl2291

It will be an expansion of the PlayStation App.

JP portable gaming going forward isnt on a dedicated handheld gaming device.

Heartfyre

*cough* We still don't know that the NX is a home console and solid arguments can be made to suggest it isn't *cough*

But regarding Sony, I don't think they'll be entering the portable arena again. Even in the West, not to mention Japan, the portable landscape is so dominated by smartphones that there probably wouldn't be enough of a market for it. Which sucks, because the Vita is amazing. But the PS4 is a thing. Just like the PS5 will be. If anything, Sony can better support their home console efforts by focusing on one device.

While they're perfectly capable of releasing a dedicated portable gaming device in future, no one will blame them if they choose not to.

*cough* We still don't know that the NX is a home console and solid arguments can be made to suggest it isn't *cough*

But regarding Sony, I don't think they'll be entering the portable arena again. Even the West, not to mention Japan, the portable scape is so dominated by smartphones that there probably wouldn't be enough of a market for it. Which sucks, because the Vita is amazing. But the PS4 is a thing. Just like the PS5 will be. If anything, Sony can better support their home console efforts by focusing on one device.

While they're perfectly capable of releasing a dedicated portable gaming device in future, no one will blame them if they choose not to.

You're right, we don't. I'm assuming NX is a platform, encompassing multiple devices. So, a separate portable system and a home console. Of course, like everyone else, I'm just speculating.

Exactly this!

The handheld dream is over.

Ok, then what is Sony's plan for Japan? If it's only the PS4, they're in big trouble. Hopefully increased mobile game development is a big priority for them.

I think Sony is done with the wider Japanese market. Its in a bad place, and Sony, unlike Microsoft, doesn't have the resources to turn a failing platform into an "ok" one, which in reality has always been the Vita's problem. It was the real victim of the PS3 debacle, since with Sony having sell one system at a loss and fund development for it, there were too few resources left over.

I suspect what Sony will end up doing is keeping the PS4 afloat as the Western AAA platform. That is a cheap model, including little development, only localization as a cost, and they will leave the portable market to Nintendo.

In the meantime, the Vita has life left in it for what is selling right now in Japan. It could of course be in better shape. If Sony actually spent time fixing up Unity and uncapped the processor, then mobile ports like the DQ games, and even things like KOTOR might have been possible at low cost($50K or less from Sony). But as Sony's handling of the PS4 firmware shows, the Sony software team isn't particularly good nor does it have much free-time. I expect nonetheless for the Vita to continue its Zombie existence through the end of next year with releases trailing off in 2017.

The one mobile thing you might see is something aimed at the higher end. That could be a mobile device or it could, as someone suggested, be a portable PS4 if the mobile technology advances that far(and the architecture may make that possible). But I honestly suspect the former will rely on Sony finding a partner willing to fund it. Google would, with hindsight, have been a good partner for the Vita back in 2010 when it was trying to get developers to actually port games to Android, but no longer has the need. Microsoft, ironically, is probably the best bet, but are obviously a competitor elsewhere. Nvidia for a Playstation Shield 2?

BadWolf

Nope and what would be the point anyway?

The Vita is already powerful as is and not many games are maxing it out, so a more powerful successor would be pointless regardless.

Wonder how powerful the 3DS's successor will be compared to the Vita.

Percy

Banned
But does that mean they're pretty much done with Japanese gaming, outside of a very, very small niche?

I mean, clearly Sony is going to continue to do great in the west. I'm just worried for Japan. : (

We all are. It's not a healthy market right now.

To be fair, PS4 numbers have been abysmal primarily because none of the series that traditionally sell consoles in Japan have appeared on it yet. When FFXV and MGS5 fail to move the needle, then SCEJ can go into panic mode.

I think a portable built to be just powerful enough to handle the sorts of downscaled ports of indie/"mid-tier" PS4 games whose PS3 equivalents thrived on Vita but not nearly as expensive as it was at launch might do okay. Maybe something built on the Intel Atom or whatever AMD equivalent may exist?

That said, I think it's more likely that they'll try and make a way for the developers/players who currently enjoy the Vita to be able to do their thing on existing mobile platforms (ie Android.)

Have you looked at the Media Create threads recently? The home console market is practically dead.

GTA5 sold over 1 million copies. Witcher 3 had a decent debut selling about 80% of Xenoblade X. There is not enough of a market to fund AAA development, but more than enough of one to simply localize AAA games funded from elsewhere. And Sony will have a de facto monopoly on Western AAA games, which given there isn't really a Japanese AAA audience or industry anymore, will be fine and very cheap.

cooperma

I want a vita with a 5.0ghz radio in it. Ever since installing my security system the vita lags on remote play. I have two choices -1) connect directly to ps4 and use party chat. I can hear but can't talk. Option 2) connect to router, open up party app on vita then start remote play which allows me to talk fine. But it is a lot laggier than direct....

GTA5 sold over 1 million copies. Witcher 3 had a decent debut selling about 80% of Xenoblade X. There is not enough of a market to fund AAA development, but more than enough of one to simply localize AAA games funded from elsewhere. And Sony will have a de facto monopoly on Western AAA games, which given there isn't really a Japanese AAA audience or industry anymore, will be fine and very cheap.

This is a good point.

Kyoufu

Have you looked at the Media Create threads recently? The home console market is practically dead.

Sony does make some mobile games here and there but their money maker is in the home console business. They're going to focus on PS4 and PS5 regardless of how irrelevant their domestic market becomes (already is) for games consoles.

gus_888

Banned
I think it would be the whole world or nothing, but it's kind of tough predicting what a company would do.

If they DID make one just for Japan though, I would be the first in line to order it. I import games anyway.. there wouldn't be too much of a difference.

Madness

Would be easier and more cost effective to just develop another mobile first, handheld game second device. As it is, they would probably have much more success just releasing a 'Playstation' branded Sony Xperia Z4 type phone. Give it a PS color scheme, startup screen, PS apps and functionality day one. Would probably sell very well because it'll keep the gaming aspect in the minds of these mobile players.

Abriael

Banned
I honestly chuckle when I see people absolutely positive that Sony won't make another portable.

First of all, what defines whether something is made isn't necessarily overwhelming success, but whether it makes money or loses it, and there's no indication to my knowledge that the Vita is losing money.

Second, even if we consider the Vita a failure (and that's debatable), it surely would not be the first failure that gets a successor in the console market.

To be fair, PS4 numbers have been abysmal primarily because none of the series that traditionally sell consoles in Japan have appeared on it yet. When FFXV and MGS5 fail to move the needle, then SCEJ can go into panic mode.

I think a portable built to be just powerful enough to handle the sorts of downscaled ports of indie/"mid-tier" PS4 games whose PS3 equivalents thrived on Vita but not nearly as expensive as it was at launch might do okay. Maybe something built on the Intel Atom or whatever AMD equivalent may exist?

That said, I think it's more likely that they'll try and make a way for the developers/players who currently enjoy the Vita to be able to do their thing on existing mobile platforms (ie Android.)

Whether or not Sony does a handheld follow-up will depend on finding a partner. The Android ship sailed in 2011 when Sony should have tried to partner with Google on the Vita. If Intel/AMD/Nvidia want to jumpstart high-end full-price mobile games because in the long-run the investment in building a market for their next-generation mobile gpus on devices will be worth it you could see them funding one and basically borrowing the Playstation brand and third party management. But because anyone is likely to lose money initially on any serious effort to make such a platform successful, the odds are creating one will have to be motivated by something else.

Japanese is done with Japanese gaming. From now on most Devs will have to focus on global market where Sony's portable system is also pretty much dead. So no. We won't see another Vita and say goodbye to your traditional Japanese games.

gus_888

Banned
I want a vita with a 5.0ghz radio in it. Ever since installing my security system the vita lags on remote play. I have two choices -1) connect directly to ps4 and use party chat. I can hear but can't talk. Option 2) connect to router, open up party app on vita then start remote play which allows me to talk fine. But it is a lot laggier than direct....

Do you have your 'Use Wifi in Power Save Mode' checked? If so, uncheck it.

Banned
Sony will start putting games on mobile for the Japanese market after the vita's production stops. They might leverage the vita TV more. But if you're asking if Sony will release a dedicated handheld gaming device in the future? I'd say no, the vita is the last one from them.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I can actually see a successor happening. Just not for a while and it would be something more in-line with a mobile phone, without the phone features...like a "Sony iPod Touch" or something.

The Vita has a few more years left, if not longer, in Japan. It's getting plenty of titles over there despite everything that's happening with the huge shift towards phones for mobile gaming.

cheesekao

Chances aren't exactly high but I really do hope Sony releases another handheld. The Vita gets a lot of hate but it has the best handheld UI,build quality and ergonomics for me. The Vita had so much potential and it's too bad most people didn't take a liking towards it.

Sony is an interesting position right now because they've got a lot of choices. They could make a successor to the PSP and Vita. They could continue pushing their games as a service via PlayStation Now and Remote Play on an expanded suite of devices. I think it's also possible for them to experiment with mobile VR on their phones like Gear VR, too.

zulux21

the answer to this question is obviously yes. Anyone that is saying there isn't even a chance is crazy :p

now how big of a chance that is another question. as even .000000001% chance they do is still a chance. (I mean if there wasn't either A this thread wouldn't have been made or B one of the first 5 posts would have a link to a sony announcement that there isn't a new handheld coming)

Personally I am still at a 90-95% chance that sony does release a vita successor, but that successor won't be the type of handheld one would normally expect from sony, but more of a budget targeted device perhaps capping at around $150 with as good of specs as they can get for that and likely using some sort of dual booting OS that allows them to have it been an android device as well as have unique exclusive games developed for it (and give it BC)

Sony is historically slow to kill things off, and haven't tried a budget wide appeal handheld yet so it seems like a route to go. I do agree no rumors for a new one are a bit suspect but when most people are assuming there isn't one it's a lot easier to hide something *shrugs*

AmFreak

You say niche and the Vita is doing much better in Japan than it is doing anywhere else, but the sales in itself aren't good.
In fact the ps4 is on Vita's course:

Vita: 4 million since Dec 2011 ~ 96.400 per month
PS4: 1.5 million since Feb 2014 ~ 99.200 per month

Top Bottom