• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two: Bioshock franchise "really important for us"; series 25M, Infinite 11M

Even though no new BioShock games have been announced, the franchise remains "really important" to publisher 2K Games, parent company Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick said today.

Speaking during the Technology, Media, & Telecom Conference in New York, Zelnick revealed that the BioShock franchise in all has sold more than 25 million copies. BioShock Infinite alone, he said, has sold 11 million copies.

"It's a really important intellectual property for the company," Zelnick said. "And while I don't have any announcements to make, yes, it's a really important franchise for us."
Development on the BioShock franchise going forward will be handled by 2K Marin. A year ago this month, Zelnick said during a presentation that he thinks BioShock series still has a lot of room to grow--creatively and commercially.
Gamespot

Toxi

Banned
Meanwhile...

cv128.jpg

Whatever they do next, I hope they put their focus on gameplay/abilities

I have very little hope that they could do a story/world anywhere near the quality of 1 and Infinite so just make it play awesome and it'll be cool

Hell maybe take it in a different direction and break away from Infinite's fairly rigid storytelling (or even the radio/objective structure as a whole) and make it all silent exploration of whatever world they create. Bring back the isolation.

If they try to go down the wormhole of Infinite...good luck

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Great to hear although it sucks Irrational and Ken Levine are no longer on the franchise...Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Although i understand that Bioshock Infinite was a huge money sink(which wasnt worth it by the end IMO, i still feel sad about it.

I was never particularly attached to Bio 2 at all.

I hope they just reboot everything and just do something new if they are going to make another bioshock.

Of course, i'd buy an HD remaster trilogy

I'm interested to see where they take the franchise as I wasn't really a fan of the (Infinite + Infinite DLC spoilers)
infinite universe thing as I felt like it cheapened or removed the impact of Bioshock 1. It's just another lighthouse, just another story etc

I imagine whatever they do it will look gorgeous, though. I can't imagine that whoever is doing the next Bioshock wouldn't make visual design as big of a priority as it always has been.

Armadilo

Banned
Ok give me a prequel to Bioshock the game's protagonist will be a reporter that heard a rumor of an underwater city,as he investigates something happens and you get see what led up to the events of Bioshock.

I loved BS 2 and think the series is in good hands at 2K Marin. Levine simply isn´t the guy who is doing the same stuff over and over again, it´s good he left for something new.

CHC

I kind of wish Bioshock could be left in peace. I don't think any of the games have aged particularly well, and the latest entry (Burial At Sea 1 & 2) was a self-indulgent mess, frankly. I feel that in many ways Bioshock embodies all of the things that I want to leave behind from gen 7.

Didn't they say that BioShock Infinite sold under expectations? 11 million is a lot. Maybe it was just the long, troubled development that was the problem.

I'll take more BioShock. The first one and Infinite were among my favorite games last gen.

Didn't they say that BioShock Infinite sold under expectations? 11 million is a lot. Maybe it was just the long, troubled development that was the problem.

That's always the problem

Zolo

Levine gave us the mess that was Burial At Sea, so it's probably for the best.

Yeah. To be honest, this isn't a case like Kojima or the guy behind Earthbound where I feel like someone wouldn't be able to get the same/similar kind of style as the previous creator.

Steel

Banned
No, the story was just a retread of Bioshock 1 and if you're playing Bioshock for its gameplay there are far better games out there.

From a gameplay perspective Bioshock 1 and 2 played in a pretty interesting manner. Infinite was the only one I'd call generic.

Daemul

Minerva's Den is the best Bioshock. Better story and better gameplay.

Minervas Den is beautiful. I thought people were exaggerating when they were calling it the best piece of DLC ever, but it surpassed my expectations and then some.

scoobs

No, the story was just a retread of Bioshock 1 and if you're playing Bioshock for its gameplay there are far better games out there.

There aren't far better Bioshock games though. Bioshock 2 played the best, and was every bit as entertaining story/world-building wise for me as the original was. To each their own... but to dismiss Bioshock 2 entirely I think is really misguided... it was a good game, and it proves Bioshock can live on without Ken and his team working on it.

In short, bring on more Bioshock!

fork_bomb

Banned
I do attribute my love for gaming somewhat to BioShock. I didn't like Infinite at all, but I suppose every developer's got their one rotten game. Still have hella respect for Ken Levine, though. Guy's great. Whatever game comes next in the -shock series, I hope he's involved in some fashion.

Please remaster the series now.

Or remake BioShock 1 on a purely technical level, since it's a mess.

Also I wish GAF could stop acting like Infinite is a bad game that people don't like.

DOWN

Banned
Remaster 1 and Infinite please!

That iOS port can't be the last version of BioShock 1 released. It just can't be.

Tapejara

Loved all three BioShock games (well, 1 and 2 more than Infinite), and would love to see more. I'd take a remaster.

Minervas Den is beautiful. I thought people were exaggerating when they were calling it the best piece of DLC ever, but it surpassed my expectations and then some.

It really did surprise me. It's got a reasonable amount of depth and tells its story really well.

From a gameplay perspective Bioshock 1 and 2 played in a pretty interesting manner. Infinite was the only one I'd call generic.

There aren't far better Bioshock games though. Bioshock 2 played the best, and was every bit as entertaining story/world-building wise for me as the original was. To each their own... but to dismiss Bioshock 2 entirely I think is really misguided... it was a good game, and it proves Bioshock can live on without Ken and his team working on it.

In short, bring on more Bioshock!

They aren't generic but there are games with similar gameplay that do it better. Deus Ex: HR and Dishonored have far tighter gameplay.

But still I prefer Bioshock because I really don't like the artstyle or the world or the story of Dishonored, however the gameplay is definitely better.

Bioshock 1 has some cool plasmids, but the guns are awful, awful, like some of the worst ones in a game I've ever played. The best way to play that game is to enchant the shit out of your wrench and just wreck everything.

Remaster 1 and Infinite please!

That iOS port can't be the last version of BioShock 1 released. It just can't be.

That's how I feel. BioShock 1 is like the perfect candidate for a remaster. Historically and culturally important game, a GREAT game, a much beloved game, and a game that could use a technical update. BioShock 1 at 1080p/60fps, BioShock 2's hacking as an option, and a better use of the engine to allow more kinds of enemies on screen at once would be phenomenal.

BioShock 2 is a stronger game mechanically without all the thematic impact and narrative construction that makes BioShock 1 crucially important to the video game canon. I don't write off BioShock 2 like many do, but it really can't hold a narrative candle to BioShock 1.

Infinite also seems like a no-brainer given how popular it is and the PC version already having ultra specs.

Toxi

Banned
Only people who didn't play BioShock 1 at release say these messy comments. There's a reason 2 is the least successful in every measurement.
Bioshock 2 is a far better game than Bioshock Infinite.

Bioshock Infinite has some of the worst designed combat in any FPS I've ever played. The story is also a complete fucking mess, and the world design comes across more as a giant theme park than a real lived-in place.

fork_bomb

Banned
That's how I feel. BioShock 1 is like the perfect candidate for a remaster. Historically and culturally important game, a GREAT game, a much beloved game, and a game that could use a technical update. BioShock 1 at 1080p/60fps, BioShock 2's hacking as an option, and a better use of the engine to allow more kinds of enemies on screen at once would be phenomenal.

B-but I liked the pipedream hacking minigame :'[

Orayn

I really hope they go back to the immersive sim roots of System Shock for the next one. It should be a game that people compare side by side with Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex Humanity Divided rather than the "CoD except watered down and with magic powers" feel that Bioshock Infinite had.

Game4life

Banned

Bioshock Infinite has some of the worst designed combat in any FPS I've ever played. The story is also a complete fucking mess, and the world design comes across more as a giant theme park than a real lived-in place.

That was the point.

Better to have his hands out of the pudding honestly. Infinite was an embarrassing disaster.

Except it wasn't, and it's a hugely successful and beloved game. Just like TR2013, which GAF likes to think they're too good for.

Sorry Infinite was a linear shooter with singular themes. You got two BioShock games in Rapture. Infinite is its own thing stylistically and mechanically. If you don't like it, move on.

You people are crazy, yes the combat in Infinite was generic, but the combat in Bioshock 1 was downright bad.

Edit: Oh 2, never mind, still that's some crazy hyperbole. There are far worse FPSs out there than Infinite.

Top Bottom