• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: February 2002 - June 2006 (Incomplete)

Hey gang. Nothing new in this topic, just the compiled old. I've personally kept track of the weekly Media Create hardware numbers since the release of the DS and PSP. Nobody seemed to have a complete record of Media Create's numbers since they began tracking in 2002, but I compiled what I found. Having done that, I now share them. I swear it's a coincidence this thread is coming within a few hours of a similar NPD thread!

Other than the numbers I've kept track of for the past year and a half, I combined three sources to create this. GameScience was my main source for numbers from September 2003 through 2004. Where they had gaps, or just didn't exist yet, I went to the GameFront archives, but their data only goes back to August 2002. Before that I've got some data saved in a text file that must have come from GAF, though I didn't make note of who or where it came from. It has incomplete data from February 2002 to August 2003.

With all this combined, I've got... a splotchy mess with a lot of holes and rounding. Sometimes a system stops showing up on the chart, then reappears. Far from complete, so if you know another good source or see a mistake in here, a notice would be appreciated. In a few places gaps on the weekly charts could probably be estimated by using the YTD values on GameScience or GameFront, but for the purposes of this sharing I didn't want to mix up my own interpolation with the original data.

I didn't include the YTD information for a few reasons. One being that just adding together the rounded weeklies gets you pretty close the rounded YTDs. As long as we don't have the single digit values anyway, it seems close enough. Also, in some of those places where GameFront or GameScience had a gap and then resumed, their YTD numbers ceased to match up anyway.

Data in comma-ful TXT format for easy modifying and pasting into various programs
Data in the OpenOffice.org 1.1 format
Data in bigass HTML format exported from OpenOffice.org

cvxfreak

Ooooh. Good job Joshua! :)

I'm sure Jonny doesn't mind me talking about this, but we've been tinkering with the idea of an expansive sales archive for GSc. Of course it's a huge undertaking and we're quite busy, but we've thought about it for awhile.

cvxfreak said:
Ooooh. Good job Joshua! :)

I'm sure Jonny doesn't mind me talking about this, but we've been tinkering with the idea of an expansive sales archive for GSc. Of course it's a huge undertaking and we're quite busy, but we've thought about it for awhile.

Sort of like EOE (ioi's site)?

Jonnyram

randommcreate0pk.gif

I have some other random data around somewhere and might be able to get access to some older data. Let's see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

cvxfreak

N64 only sold 3.7 Million in Japan according to Media Create?

DAMN, that's even less than the GC. Nintendo moving on up in Japan! :lol

Wow. Other than the fact that it's 5 weeks summed up, that's the most specific I've ever seen Media Create numbers. Original Game Boy and N64 numbers in August? Weird.

That is pretty interesting, though. There are August numbers. With gain/loss one could calculate July numbers. Using those and the monthly average one could get a really really rough idea of January-June numbers.

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wow. Other than the fact that it's 5 weeks summed up, that's the most specific I've ever seen Media Create numbers. Original Game Boy and N64 numbers in August? Weird.

Can you pull a GC and PS2 total from afterwards?

cvxfreak said:
Can you pull a GC and PS2 total from afterwards?
Many of the weekly values are rounded, but doing a sum from September 2, 2002 to this week's numbers, I get

PS2: 9,695,937
GCN: 2,526,074

Jonnyram said:
So no comment on PocketStation sales then?
Oh wow, I didn't pay attention to that. Higher than PSP so far?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Totals for PS2 and GC (thanks to JoshuaJSlone and Jonnyram):

PS2 19,392,770
GC 4,431,110

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
PS2 sales was only 2,631,036 after 8 months period (12/31/2001 - 09/01/2002)
DS sales was more than 3m in less than 5.5 months this year.

kia said:
Totals for PS2 and GC (thanks to JoshuaJSlone and Jonnyram):

PS2 19,392,770
GC 4,431,110
A few months ago with one of the MediaCreate weeklies wasn't there an LTD for the current systems? Doubt there's too much difference.

cvxfreak said:
GC seems suspiciously high... hmm.
Yeah. GCN's first 3 calendar years were about 1 million apiece by other trackers, so being at 1.9 million months before the holiday season seems funky.

DarkMehm

Untill September 2002 GCN sold ~744k in that year. I think it's very possible that it had ~1,16 Million in 2001.

Edit: I have 4,430,621 for GCN. Gamefront's 2002/2003 numbers are unfortunately rounded, so the Total might vary ~100 units.

That's strange. Nintendo shipped 4 Million units, maybe MediaCreate contains the Panasonic Q's numbers, but I doubt that they were ~400k. ^^

ioi

Banned
Hmmmm interesting thread :D

First observation is that there is some support to what I've said previously about MC. Pre 2000 they tracked very low, especially for Nintendo stuff and less so for other stuff. Then randomly in 2000/2001 they started tracking way too high for Nintendo stuff (they had Mario Tennis 64 on 1.35m- only shipped 1.1m, Zelda:MM on 950k, only shipped 750k, GC numbers inflated for that period) and seem to have settled to be really quite accurate today.

The GB numbers (about 16m for GB+GBC) are far too low. It doesn't count 89-90 but is still way off the 32m sold, and the N64s 3.7m number is about 2/3 of what it should be.

It is interesting tho, and I'd like to get some more hardware stuff for 2000/2001 since my 'guessed' PS2 numbers seem to be a bit off when compared to Nintendo's chart they used the other week.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
JoshuaJSlone said:
A few months ago with one of the MediaCreate weeklies wasn't there an LTD for the current systems? Doubt there's too much difference.
GCN - 4,144,964 through June 4th.

cvxfreak

You know, come to think of it, it probably IS the Panasonic Q that made all the difference in those numbers. I mean, it had to outsell the original Xbox. :D

Top Bottom