• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa Womens World Cup 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohonky

Am I the only one excited?

I know everyone is excited to see our favourite evil corporation having it's upper management finally put through the ringer, but for many of us, it's our sausauge as John Oliver would say and this year sees the 2015 Womens World Cup taking place in Canada.

Personally I love the Womens game, some times more so than the Mens and yet the womens game is always a more muted affair with nowhere near the draw of the mens game.

The women don't have the same stength or power of the men it's true but what they lack there they certainly make up for it with a more no bullshit approach to the game. Japan won the last World Cup not by being bigger, faster or stronger than their opponents (hint, they were the opposite) but instead by simply being better at the fundamentals of the game. They played a tighter game that relied on simply principles; keep control of the ball, always have or provide options, never get caught out in possession and move the ball around with crisp and accurate passing. It was great to watch.

Perhaps best of all; more Football (Soccer for some of you) and less bullshit as diving and hitting the crowd like a sack of shit wailing like the world is coming to an end has yet to infect the womens game to anywhere near the same degree as the mens. Just get in there and play the game.

So yes with that said, I am really excited to see another Womens World Cup.

Also in case you missed it, here's some highlights of the action and drama provided by the last World Cup as the US first came back twice to send Brazil out of the competition before Japan performed exactly the same feat against the US in the Grand Final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30VhT_4SxK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNMTCT1lyhs

Clydefrog

This will have to be Leroux's cup with Morgan out. Leroux and Wambach up top is a nightmare for any team. Tobin Heathinho on the wing is going to be unstoppable too. I'm excited!

USA USA USA

Rivitur

Banned
Fox is broadcasting this and trying to shove the us women down our throats. Go to them but I can care less.

Paganmoon

Looking forward to this (Heja Sverige!).

Though looking at the stadiums, sort of disappointed all of them are artificial turf arenas. Hoping this'll be a one off thing for the tournament.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'll watch the recaps at the very least. I'll try to watch the Dutch team live. I'm kind of excited, I've never seen a women's world cup before, but the level the Dutch team presented in their qualifiers surprised me somewhat.

Happening in my city. News all over about the tickets nowhere near selling out :(
Shame. We don't deserve hosting this amazing event.

What's this artificial turf I keep hearing about? Is FIFA really making them play the whole damn WC in that bullshit non-grass? Because there's no way in hell a men's WC would ever play a single match in artificial turf, much less the whole tournament! That's disgraceful.

CoolOff

The 2011 one really surprised me when it came to the quality of play, especially how you could see a noticeable difference compared even to the previous WC, so I have high hopes for this one.

Wtf at it being played completely on plastic.

Shadow780

Alex Morgan <3

YoI1dvX.gif

Arjen

Will try to watch to cheer for our ladies. My knowledge of women's football is extremly low though.

elfinke

What's this artificial turf I keep hearing about? Is FIFA really making them play the whole damn WC in that bullshit non-grass? Because there's no way in hell a men's WC would ever play a single match in artificial turf, much less the whole tournament! That's disgraceful.

Yep, shit is embarrassing. John Oliver did a bit on it in the most recent Last Week Tonight.

That aside, can't wait! Bless the SBS.

It bums me out that people have to explain why they watch women's soccer. It's a fun sport to watch especially when you've got a solid team to support like the U.S. typically does.

Matilda's vs USNWT will be a great group match to watch.

I think we are a chance with some of the youngsters in the Matilda's now starting to play well.

Paganmoon

leg burns and such aren't as common in newer and better versions of artificial turf. Biggest issue is the injuries, much easier to get stuck on the turf, and twist your knees.
Another issue is that it changes the game dramatically, game gets a lot less physical, the ball behaves differently (bouncing and rolling), and so on.

It's not a perfect substitute for real grass pitch, and even FIFA agrees, as I don't think a single mens WC game will ever be played on artificial turf.

I agree they shouldn't be playing on a field that would not be deemed appropriate for a men's game, but don't they use artificial grass in a lot of men's competitions in the east of Europe? Russian teams that have played champions league may have used them recently iirc.

Nyx

I agree they shouldn't be playing on a field that would not be deemed appropriate for a men's game, but don't they use artificial grass in a lot of men's competitions in the east of Europe? Russian teams that have played champions league may have used them recently iirc.

In The Netherlands small clubs use it too cause it's cheaper than maintaining a field of real grass for a whole season.

But if it was me, I would ban it in every kind of (outdoor) football.

Arjen

There are a bunch of teams in the 1st Dutch league that use artificial grass as well. (8 out of 18)

I see that and raise you.

Anouk Hoogendijk

Both are beautiful, but wow...Alex Morgan.

Anyways, all I want to see is Canada place in the top three. I don't care if it's third or not, because I know we're not a bonafide powerhouse like the US and England.

Peru

Women's soccer is honestly the only female sport that I will watch and enjoy.

That's a pretty absurd principle. Why? Because you don't watch any other sports, period, or because you have some fundamental aversion to watching women athletes? I mean there are several sports where female athletes are as popular or close to as popular as the top men - like tennis, many winter sports, many olympic sports. In most olympic sports you would have no visual feedback on whether they're as good as the men or not - like you can't see that a female marathon runner is slightly slower than the top man, so there's no obvious reason not to enjoy it as much. In some olympic sports women can be better than men, like in the London 2012 team archery. Some sports are unisex of course, like equestrian events, not that I expect everyone to follow that.

I guess you're American and unlike continental Europe where, say, biathlon is big and women's biathlon as available as men's, you mostly see the big team sports on TV and there simply aren't any equivalent women's leagues. Women's handball is more popular than men's in my country, but that's obv not a big sport in America. Access to and popularity of female sport leagues is higher in Europe and Asia than in USA. But that's a problem of the system and not one you should endorce by saying you can't enjoy anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom