• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC15 Thread of iOS 9, Mac OS X 10.11 & watchOS: The epicenter of change.

celebi23

FaW051Q.png

wBmcmxT.png

2bvqZgn.png

• Web Site: http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
  • Where: Moscone West - San Franciso California
  • Dates: June 8th thru June 12th, 2015
  • Events: Keynote, Apple Design Awards, Workshops, Stump the Experts, WWDC Bash, Lunchtime Speakers
  • Purpose: Apple held conference to provide developers and IT professionals with in-depth technical information and hands-on learning about the powerful technologies in iOS, Mac OS X and watchOS.

SpKe7oY.png

Ld6BWRv.png

aqU6qiz.png

Like the last few Apple events, they will be broadcasting it live. It will also be available to watch again on Apple's Web site hours after the event has ended. The places that you can watch the video (again a few hours after the keynote has ended):
Text/Photos

(If you find other live blogs, please feel free to post the urls)

WWDC App:

dY5tneg.png

CKJzisn.png

MacStories
2015-06-04-013850.jpeg
2015-06-04-014132.jpeg

2015-06-04-204208.jpeg
2015-06-04-204415.jpeg

2015-06-05-182750.jpeg
2015-06-05-222008.jpeg

@viticci
Blurry shot, but here's what Apple put up on second floor of Moscone. Simple banners for iOS, OS X, and watchOS.
CG41ZGdWcAA-95j.jpg:orig

5BsGO1Z.png

• Will be updated after the keynote has finished

TuqOEvY.png

Special thanks to Andrex for the header images!

NUjNHmT.png

Ninja Dom

Very Nice!! WWDC threads here on NeoGAF go back 10 years.

I won't be able to watch the Keynote live as I'll be working. So I'll catch up during the evening (UK).

For me personally, I'm interested in new OS X, new iOS, anything Apple Watch, Music streaming service.

Blackhead

Redarse
I want :
  • Navigation for their new transit feature in Apple Maps. Notify me when to get off the street car and combine it with walking directions
  • Change all ugly iOS icons. Better yet, bring Complications from the Watch to iOS home screen and let me remove apple bloat apps I don't use
  • A native solution for using an iOS device via lighting connector and/or Wi-Fi as an external display for a laptop
  • Type questions and commands into Siri without using voice
  • Fix the keyboards. The default Apple keyboard is a UI mess and third party keyboard are hampered the Apple's restrictions.
  • Include extension support in Mail app. Allow extensions to work across all similar types of apps (browsers, mail apps, messaging apps etc)
  • A popover Safari web sheet. Or a quick way one-button/gesture to go back and switch between apps. No iOS app should ever have to create an in-app browser ever again.
  • A good file management UI or preferably a radical replacement for the file folder system
  • A good multitasking UI that works from a 4" iphone to a 9.7" iPad (not exclusively for a 12" iPad pro)
  • Change default apps

pronk420

Is there anything you need to do to get in on iOS public betas? I seems like I'm already signed up with my Apple ID on the page, but it only offers me the latest Yosemite beta, even when I visit the page on my iPad. I thought iOS 8.4 was in beta at the moment? Did I not get chosen or is there just nothing available?

If multitasking is in the beta I want that as soon as I can get it!

Ninja Dom

Is there anything you need to do to get in on iOS public betas? I seems like I'm already signed up with my Apple ID on the page, but it only offers me the latest Yosemite beta, even when I visit the page on my iPad. I thought iOS 8.4 was in beta at the moment? Did I not get chosen or is there just nothing available?

If multitasking is in the beta I want that as soon as I can get it!

I got an invite from Apple by email to join the iOS 8.3 Public Beta program (I'm part of the Yosemite Public Beta). I never bothered joining. That was in March 2015 for iOS 8.3 Public Beta. iOS 8.3 has now been released.

I never got an email asking to join the iOS 8.4 Public Beta which makes me believe that there is no iOS 8.4 Public Beta. Just Developer Beta.

Still hoping for an Apple TV with an App Store. Need that next gold rush.

Hear hear. This is what I'm looking forward to the most. I was really bummed when I read the NYT article saying it got bumped out of the WWDC. Hopefully they give us a preview, even if they don't release it until they have all the streaming deals with the networks lined up. However, after seeing this image this morning, (courtesy Federico Viticci, vis 9to5mac):

I see OS X, iOS, and (maybe) watchOS? I would guess there would have to be tvOS (or something like it) if they were to open up Apple TV...

jts

...hate me...
Hear hear. This is what I'm looking forward to the most. I was really bummed when I read the NYT article saying it got bumped out of the WWDC. Hopefully they give us a preview, even if they don't release it until they have all the streaming deals with the networks lined up. However, after seeing this image this morning, (courtesy Federico Viticci, vis 9to5mac):

I see OS X, iOS, and (maybe) watchOS? I would guess there would have to be tvOS (or something like it) if they were to open up Apple TV...

Apple TV runs iOS, uses iOS hardware. They can open it up and still call it iOS.

ramyeon

I got an invite from Apple by email to join the iOS 8.3 Public Beta program (I'm part of the Yosemite Public Beta). I never bothered joining. That was in March 2015 for iOS 8.3 Public Beta. iOS 8.3 has now been released.

I never got an email asking to join the iOS 8.4 Public Beta which makes me believe that there is no iOS 8.4 Public Beta. Just Developer Beta.
There certainly is a public beta for 8.4, I'm on it. I don't think I had to do anything extra to get access to it beyond signing up back when they offered it for 8.3.

TimFL

There is. The invite you got is for the general iOS Public Beta program (it started with 8.3 and spans every other future beta there is, iOS 8.4, iOS 9 etc).

I hope they send out another batch of invites with iOS 9. I read that the people reporting issues during the Yosemite Public Beta had higher chances of getting an invite, I had a huge list of issues written down but could never report them via the Feedback App (that thing was broken to hell and back for me).

What I hope for (in terms of iOS):
- Good price for the streaming service (maybe even combine it with iTunes Match)
- Add something like the Watch complications to the lock screen (weather etc.)
- Clear all notifications
- ApplePay for germany (gives me a reason to use my credit card)
- Fix the annoying "Update" turns to "Open" button bug in the App Store Update section
- Fix the silent/ringer switch (sometimes I switch to ringer and my notification sounds are still muted... ? No vibration either)
- Update all iCloud features to CloudKit for more robust syncing
- Give us the option to edit shortcuts in the control center (I see no reason for them not allowing us to switch out the calculator app shortcut with a setting or calendar one, or replace the rotation lock button with a GPS or mobile data one)
- No background app refresh should mean no (talking to you, facebook and Skype. Apple should forcefully stop these apps from performing any background activity).
- Allow us to clear the cache of an individual app (like put a button in Settings > Usage > App, add a warning that it could break the App and tell devs to stop relying on cached stuff for their apps to work)
- Open up the OS a bit more (allow us to send pictures via Bluetooth to non-iOS devices)
- NFC API
- Fix contact pictures suddenly turning extremely lowres or them having their position/scale reset
- Let me re-organize contact phone number/email fields (sometimes a contact of mine gets a new phone number and I want that one showing up first, why can't we drag&drop contact fields)
- Faces in Photos (I use that feature a lot on OSX)
- Tell facebook to get their act together and re-enable contact info sync for every contact again. The feature has been near useless for me for years now. Also if they ever decide to properly sync info again, sync highres profile pictures instead of the tiny ones that can't function as fullscreen caller id pictures

Delusional feature requests:
- Multi-user feature for iPads
- Increased free iCloud storage tier (5gb / device or 15GB default)
- Unlimited photo storage for iCloud Photo Library (to battle Google)
- Handle default apps just like 3rd party apps (I think it's a bad idea to rely on iOS updates to patch default apps, Apple should be able to patch the e.g. Music app individually via the App Store Updates section) and maybe give the option to pick default apps
- Add more payment methods to the iTunes/App store. I'm no fan of using credit cards, would rather pay directly via automated bank transfer or PayPal (I heard the US iTunes store has PayPal support?)
- Free on iTunes for non-US places (please?)

Majine

Banned
I hope for a complete re-architecture for notifications.

Unified notifications pool across all devices
Your iPhone notifications also pop up on the Mac and vice versa. I don't care if they can't do anything remotely. If I can dismiss them all on one device, that's a step forward.

Notification Sync across all apps
Basically dismiss a notification on one device, it dismisses on all devices. This has been in a few Apple apps, and there's apparently an API that developers can use, but they are very few, so it's time for Apple to step in and bring order.

One tap clear all
Pretty self-explanatory.

Apple TV runs iOS, uses iOS hardware. They can open it up and still call it iOS.

We'll see. If the Watch warranted a different name for its OS, I don't see why the TV wouldn't. They're both visibly different from normal iOS, though all three share a lot of the same foundations.

It would be different if they didn't open up the API for third party apps, but if they do (be it tomorrow or at another event) I see them differentiating the OS with its own name.

mf.luder

Please announce the Canada will get Apple Pay soon.

I'll be making a backup today of my mac to install 10.11 tomorrow. :D

entremet

I really need Apple to improve its native stuff.

I love their hardware, but I've been moving away from their services and apps.

iCloud has been a huge disappointment for me.

kaskade

I'm excited for tomorrow. We pretty much know that there's not going to be anything too crazy at this point (unless there is something we don't know). I think a lot of little changes is going to really add up though. My most wanted is probably really improved Siri stuff. its time they really start getting to work with that since both MS and Google seem to be pretty far ahead.

Enco

I really need Apple to improve its native stuff.

I love their hardware, but I've been moving away from their services and apps.

iCloud has been a huge disappointment for me.
Agreed.

iCloud is a complete joke. Absolutely useless.

Inbox/Outlook > Mail
Calendars 5 > Calendar
Google Photos > Photos
Simplenote > Notes
Google Maps >>> Apple Maps
Dropbox/anything else >>>> iCloud

Safari I would say is the best Apple product. Everything else is beaten by other providers.

GWX

Last year's event was hype, with tons of new stuff I didn't think we would see. Hopefully Craig will bring the goods this year as well!

I'm hoping that Apple moving iCloud mail to their own internal standard will allow for some post-IMAP/SMTP features like Inbox has, even though it'll also be one more death knell for email as a federated communication standard.

I'm all for the death of email because it's used for too much garbage and its etiquette is beyond fucked, but the good thing about email is that, unlike most communication standards, nobody owns it.

Ambient80

Can't wait to hear from Hair Force One. Dude is just a huge highlight for their events now lol.

Also some people must not have used Apple Maps recently. It's not as good as Googles still but it has VASTLY improved. Once it gets transit directions it will be even better.

Can't wait to hear from Hair Force One. Dude is just a huge highlight for their events now lol.

Also some people must not have used Apple Maps recently. It's not as good as Googles still but it has VASTLY improved. Once it gets transit directions it will be even better.

Apple Maps, at least for me, is fine for getting directions once you have an address but it still sucks at searching for things.

Agreed.

iCloud is a complete joke. Absolutely useless.

Inbox/Outlook > Mail
Calendars 5 > Calendar
Google Photos > Photos
Simplenote > Notes
Google Maps >>> Apple Maps
Dropbox/anything else >>>> iCloud

Safari I would say is the best Apple product. Everything else is beaten by other providers.

iCloud services head to head against it's competition does get crushed as you pointed out, but again, because of the seamless continuity many still use them. Apple takes advantage of that by not feeling they need to improve anything.

pathetic 20GB for a couple $ a month vs. unlimited Google photos, just laughable

Top Bottom