• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC15 Thread of iOS 9, Mac OS X 10.11 & watchOS: The epicenter of change.

I just hope that "Proactive" is a real thing that's announced tomorrow. I'm not sure if the average Apple user will be excited about only getting bug fixes and performance.

I just hope that "Proactive" is a real thing that's announced tomorrow. I'm not sure if the average Apple user will be excited about only getting bug fixes and performance.

Honestly, the best recipe for better performance/less bugginess isn't introducing fewer new features/APIs, it's more widespread testing and easier, more responsive bug reporting. I think the iOS 9 public beta will be a great step toward that.

That said, arguably fewer new APIs might help. Revamping the design of the Mail app and adding new features to the lockscreen/homescreen/notification center/control center/app switcher elements or Apple's own apps, however, would be unlikely to introduce anything in the way of systemwide bugs. There's a lot of room for improvement that shouldn't need to distract from fixing bugs.

Quick

Banned

Same. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing them address some issues with the coming update, it wouldn't really feel like a big jump in versions if that's all it's going to be. There's always a feature or two that will distinguish iOS versions between each other.

Same. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing them address some issues with the coming update, it wouldn't really feel like a big jump in versions if that's all it's going to be. There's always a feature or two that will distinguish iOS versions between each other.

Even iOS 8, which had some pretty big changes behind the scenes, felt underwhelming in many regards because there wasn't one really big marquee feature that got users excited in my opinion.

Don't forget that the S generation usually gets a new exclusive marquee feature and one or two exclusive camera features. That stuff's under development too, presumably.
Even iOS 8, which had some pretty big changes behind the scenes, felt underwhelming in many regards because there wasn't one really big marquee feature that got users excited in my opinion.
To be honest this stuff is generally more incremental than people realize. I mean, iOS 6 introduced very little in the way of positively received new features (passbook, facebook integration, apple maps).

Don't forget that the S generation usually gets a new exclusive marquee feature and one or two exclusive camera features. That stuff's under development too, presumably.

The current rumor is that the secret feature, beyond anything camera related, is the inclusion of force touch.

Apple better finally introduce split screen multi tasking with the iPad, it was heavily rumored last year, hope it makes the cut with iOS 9

The current rumor is that the secret feature, beyond anything camera related, is the inclusion of force touch.

The 2GB RAM, like on the iPad Air 2, makes a huge difference in day to day use for the simple facts apps don't constantly refresh like they do on my iPhone 6+ when I switch between apps and when switching between safari tabs

Until Force Touch is pretty universal and can actually give more room for features, I suspect it'll just be another gesture for the most part outside of stuff like basic audio/video controls (though the whole 'go deeper' thing is useful alongside the iOS 7 'depth' visual metaphor) - it'll probably mostly duplicate the functionality of the press-and-hold rather than resulting in subtle new features all over the place. I'm kinda more excited for the Taptic Engine than about the deep tap gesture.

I'd love to be wrong about that, of course, but I think treating it properly would require a pretty serious UI overhaul anyway instead of tacking it onto an existing schema.

Until Force Touch is pretty universal and can actually give more room for features, I suspect it'll just be another gesture for the most part outside of stuff like basic audio/video controls (though the whole 'go deeper' thing is useful alongside the iOS 7 'depth' visual metaphor) - it'll probably mostly duplicate the functionality of the press-and-hold rather than resulting in subtle new features all over the place. I'm kinda more excited for the Taptic Engine than about the deep tap gesture.

I'd love to be wrong about that, of course, but I think treating it properly would require a pretty serious UI overhaul anyway instead of tacking it onto an existing schema.

You're probably right, although just replacing press and hold with a force touch would be pretty nice. I agree with you about the Taptic Engine, if Apple can get it to work right on iOS devices it'll be pretty special.

You're probably right, although just replacing press and hold with a force touch would be pretty nice. I agree with you about the Taptic Engine, if Apple can get it to work right on iOS devices it'll be pretty special.

What's the point of taptic engine on a phone when it's sitting in someone's pocket and in a case? Unlike the watch, it's not going to be felt. Hell, I wear tighter jeans then the average guy and still miss most vibrations (thankfully with apple watch this no longer is an issue)

What's the point of taptic engine on a phone when it's sitting in someone's pocket and in a case? Unlike the watch, it's not going to be felt. Hell, I wear tighter jeans then the average guy and still miss most vibrations (thankfully with apple watch this no longer is an issue)

I assume it'll be used like the Macbook trackpad and give us the feeling of actually clicking into the iPhone screen.

More about haptic feedback during active use rather than replacing the existing vibrate function. Presumably you'd be able to get the feeling of a 'click' with a hard press to let you know that you'd sort of done that 'depth level 2' force touch thing, or certain screen elements would be able to sort of tap your finger back upon scrolling over them.

That makes sense, but like you said it would take a system wide implementation of it, not something I see for iOS 9

Yeah. And, looking back on Siri/TouchID, neither of those required (nor really allowed) any input from third party developers to work (which was why they were able to launch day one with their hardware and generally not feel half-assed). Force Touch/Taptic Engine might end up feeling REALLY inconsistent for a while unless really carefully and shallowly implemented, which might then feel like a waste.

It may take a while for Force Touch / Taptic to be properly implemented by the majority of developers, although I imagine Apple will have some big name developers ready to go with some unique apps, but the idea has me really excited. I can just imagine the million pressure sensitive drawing apps that will be released.

cjp

Hope this rumoured split screen multitasking for the iPad is shown off tomorrow.

I have a feeling that it might only show up later in the year when they reveal this iPad Pro and that it'll be an exclusive feature. Hope I'm wrong.

I like the sound of Proactive too, but I'm fond of how Spotlight currently works and how it brings up the keyboard automatically when you swipe down. Having to click a text field to initialise it would be much less fluid.

And while I think it will never happen, I can still dream that Control Center gets moved to a Notification Centre tab and the swipe up gesture activates multitasking instead. A man can dream.

Ovek

7Member7
I hope they implement force touch on the iPhone and iPad soon, it's by far the most impressive thing Apple has developed in quite some time.

celebi23

I just hope Apple adds Siri to OS X at some point. Knowing them, it'll be tied to some new hardware rev feature :/ I mean, come on. Cortana is in Windows 10 :p

Zaph

Google kinda sealed their own fate by pushing webm before they sorted out the licensing situation and documentation. Thanks to that I doubt it'll ever evolve past google first-party and niche corners of the internet.

Pretty 100% sure there will be no new hardware announced. AppleTV was the only thing speculated and it was leaked that it won't be announced as it is not ready.

MacPro might get an update whenever the CPU gets released from Intel, they may be waiting for the Skylake version so they can just stuff it with Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C ports all up in it. I'd just wait for Skylake for TB3 and H.265 decoding

Different apps?

Also what is this Proactive that you're all talking about?

I would love if iTunes was just Music which had your music, radio, streaming and iTunes store.

Then Videos could be a new app / update of Quicktime which had your videos, rentals, iTunes Store

App Store iOS apps should join the Mac App Store and anything to do with iOS back-ups/synching/updating/restoring should all be done through a separate iOS app.

I just hate how bloated iTunes is

XavandSo

Neo Member
All though I don't really like the iPhone and the ecosystem as a whole*, if iOS 9 does come to the iPhone 4S, all I can do is applaud Apple. That's how you do support. My current phone's from the same year and never got any system updates. I don't usually say this but Apple are unrivalled in older device support.

*I will admit I miss my 3GS though.

Erebus

All though I don't really like the iPhone and the ecosystem as a whole*, if iOS 9 does come to the iPhone 4S, all I can do is applaud Apple. That's how you do support. My current phone's from the same year and never got any system updates. I don't usually say this but Apple are unrivalled in older device support.

*I will admit I miss my 3GS though.
I'm curious to see if they end up supporting the 4s with iOS 9 as the rumors suggested.

Hope this rumoured split screen multitasking for the iPad is shown off tomorrow.

I have a feeling that it might only show up later in the year when they reveal this iPad Pro and that it'll be an exclusive feature. Hope I'm wrong.

If that's the unfortunate case, my current iPad will be the last iPad I own

Enco

Apples take on a Google Now like feature.
I don't see how it'll get close to Now without Google Maps and search.

Apple has much weaker services. I hope I'm wrong but Apple Maps completely threw away my positive expectations with new Apple services.

Apple has much weaker services. I hope I'm wrong but Apple Maps completely threw away my positive expectations with new Apple services.

I don't think it needs Google Maps and Google Search to be a useful feature. If it can automatically track my meetings, flights, deliveries, etc based on my emails I think it could still be a very compelling feature.

Mindwipe

And a week after Cook goes on stage to talk about privacy.

Pick one of "privacy" and "a good Google Now competitor" because you don't get to have both.

MercuryLS

Banned
Straight outta Compton, crazy motherfucker named Tim Cook
From the gang called Apple Inc.
When I'm called off, I got a lawsuit off
Squeeze the trigger, and patents are hauled off
You too, boy, if ya fuck with me
Google are gonna hafta come and get me

lol

Sean

Banned
I would love if iTunes was just Music which had your music, radio, streaming and iTunes store.

Then Videos could be a new app / update of Quicktime which had your videos, rentals, iTunes Store

App Store iOS apps should join the Mac App Store and anything to do with iOS back-ups/synching/updating/restoring should all be done through a separate iOS app.

I just hate how bloated iTunes is

I just can't see Apple unbundling everything like this, making several apps just seems way more confusing for the average user. Sales of video rentals and stuff would probably plummet in this scenario.

Best case scenario is an "Apple Media Player" and "Apple Digital Store" but I don't even think they'll do that either. We're probably stuck with the current iTunes setup for a long time yet.

I still don't see the advantage of turning iTunes into a bunch of different apps. I feel like it would just add more confusion without much of a benefit.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I still don't see the advantage of turning iTunes into a bunch of different apps. I feel like it would just add more confusion without much of a benefit.

I prefer the way Google separates things. Play Movies, Play Music, Play Books, etc. Much easier to understand for a newcomer. "oh this is where I buy books, movies," etc.

iTunes is an ancient relic at this point.

Top Bottom