• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The promised answers to Metal Gear Solid V questions (spoilers marked)

One boss in 15 hours "and it really seemed like I wasn't even halfway through the story."

One boss and feeling you're close to halfway isn't a good sign.

Urgh, I really don't think this is going to be a MGS for me :(

Mifec

One boss in 15 hours "and it really seemed like I wasn't even halfway through the story."

One boss and feeling you're close to halfway isn't a good sign.

Urgh, I really don't think this is going to be a MGS for me :(

he DIDN'T feel close to halfway done.

TheXbox

This thread is tops. A little bummed to hear the story is kinda sparse relative to the other MGS games, though. This is the first Metal Gear where I'm more excited for the gameplay than I am for the story.

he DIDN'T feel close to halfway done.

"I wasn't even halfway" is different to "didn't feel close to halfway" to me. I hope I'm wrong and interpreting it wrongly, but based on what we know about the structure of the game and it's relation to PW, I worry.

The game seems to be pretty huge. Maybe the story missions end abruptly... But it did seem like one of those games you can spend 100 hours on.

Oh yeah that's fine, it sounds great from a gameplay perspective.

But like I said, it's not the MGS I want.

Wait so the
Quiet boss fight is better than the sniper wolf one...but is it better than The End aka best Metal Gear boss fight ever.

I need to know this. The gameplay potential is huge for this kind of boss fight.

Thanks for the info. Re-posting my question just in case.

Are kills tracked on a mission-by-mission basis? I may be remembering wrong but in Peace Walker the game was much more forgiving about kills where you could just replay the mission again later to get an S rank rather than go back to an earlier save like the previous games.

SomTervo

I honestly don't remember many details about hand customizations, but they're there. You have to unlock them through regular R&D procedures. They allow Snake to run and get to prone faster (somehow), to reload guns faster and to take less damage, or to make Reflex mode last longer. There's probably more down the line too.

Nice, thanks for all the info!

I can imagine a hand would help him get to prone quicker if it was reinforced or something. So when he dives he can put more weight on the hand rather than his sensitive man-bits.

As for running faster... Who
the fuck
knows

Javin98

Banned
PS4. Yes, although it has (or at least had when I played it) a couple of graphical hiccups and a lot of textures that would make GAF throw a fit.
Hopefully these issues will get resolved before release. Can you specify what these graphical hiccups are? I know GZ had a low level of AF and ugly dithered shadows. I hope these will be improved in TPP.

Can you play as other soldiers of your army same as PW?

Can you also customize your soldiers to look like the ones in MGO or is that strictly multiplayer only?

NotLiquid

Wait, so the game has almost gone completely gold then?

mv2dCPL.jpg

Ridley327

Wait, so the game has almost gone completely gold then?

I think it's content complete for a while now, and The Development Team Formerly Known as Kojima Productions have been spending their time these days optimizing the crap out of it and squashing bugs. I'm expecting this game to be remarkably polished for an open world title.

I think MGS4 was pretty much done when journalists got to play it a few months before it came out, though I remember that was a little bit more important to the game's flow as they took their feedback and made adjustments (particularly shortening the first half of Act 3's gameplay section).

Brazil, meu Brasil brasileiro, I envy you so fucking much right now.

Did you see anything regarding inventory slots varying with your clothes/camo? And what about rock climbing, is that a gimmick or does it present you with cool opportunities?

Abracetas!

Whoa.
WHOA.
Well, I'll be damned!
This is amazing actually.
Please guys, heed the warning and don't click the obvious spoiler in that post. It's tremendously spoilery. It's so spoilery, if it comes near fruit, that fruit is spoiled in an instant. That's how spoilery this spoiler is. Don't spoil yourself.

EDIT: Okay, seems like Barzil was embargo'd. Sad. But it still was an AMAZING thing behind that spoiler. Makes me want to play the game even more, regardless of all that Kojimagate shit going on about it.

Hey Brazil, did it feel like Co-ops is a feature waiting to be unveiled?
You might not be able to answer that if it's embargoed, I guess.

& thanks for answering my questions, improved AI is cool.

Try answering this without obviously spoiling anything too dramatic.

The trailers so far teased some issues that could be deemed controversial but actually progress gaming as an art form. i.e. blood diamonds and especially child soldiers and eventually fighting or recruiting them.

Anything in your gameplay session that could spark a positive/controversial discussion outside the realm of games media?

If I haven't played a Metal Gear game before, would it be possible for me to pick this up and understand it from a Gameplay perspective without a problem?

Ridley327

If I haven't played a Metal Gear game before, would it be possible for me to pick this up and understand it from a Gameplay perspective without a problem?

Yeah, this is a new style for the series, so you're on the same boat as everyone else. If you do have a PS4 and PS+, you can download Ground Zeroes for a better idea of what to expect from the gameplay, as well as having a refresher for the previous game's story available.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Judging by Ground Zeroes I'd say yes. It's the first Metal Gear game where the controls are not actively a problem. Previously the controls were so bad, it would take half the game to get used to them if you hadn't played an MGS game before.

Yeah, this is a new style for the series, so you're on the same boat as everyone else. If you do have a PS4 and PS+, you can download Ground Zeroes for a better idea of what to expect from the gameplay, as well as having a refresher for the previous game's story available.

Judiging by Ground Zeroes I'd say yes. It's the first Metal Gear game where the controls are not actively a problem.

yeah, cuz its the first MGS without problematic controls
May your harvests be bountiful

Brazil the destructoid preview mentioned one mission where he was supposed to assassinate some dudes and instead he fultoned them and they join the base. So what happens when you replay the mission and instead kill them? Do they remain on the base, is replaying a mission not tied to the active base? Can you just replay missions infinitely and get things over and over?

Or vice versa, kill them first then replay to collect them. Does that work?

Top Bottom