• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Alien Isolation

Working through my admittedly large backlog here and I have arrived at this, IMO one of the best survival horror games released and finally the truly terrifying Alien game we have all been waiting for.

I got a lot of this done before I moved onto something else, chapter 13 IIRC.

I am going to start fresh on this as I have forgotten some story details.

For anyone interested I will stream on twitch.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for anyone who basis his or her purchases on IGN reviews, because that IGN review of Alien Isolation had to have definitely alienated some.

This game, to me, feels nothing short of a 9.

This game is amazing. My biggest fear was that it wouldn't be able to keep up steam for the daunting 20 hour play time I had heard about.

20 hours later the game ended and I loved almost every minute of it.

ThisOne

I'm currently playing it right now for the first time. I'm on chapter 8. Really liking it so far. I'm playing on normal so nothing too frustrating so far. I've heard chapter 10 is a pain and that by about chapter 13 the game starts to drag but I haven't gotten there yet.

I feel bad for anyone who basis his or her purchases on IGN reviews, because that IGN review of Alien Isolation had to have definitely alienated some.

That ign score still makes me mad. I mean don't get me wrong there are a couple issues but still.... 5.9? Seriously?

Syf

Banned
That ign score still makes me mad. I mean don't get me wrong there are a couple issues but still.... 5.9? Seriously?
IGN routinely gives shit reviews. I never pay attention to their scores anymore. Isolation is an 8 at the very least.

Recall

I've never agreed with an IGN review. I'm totally fine with reviews having different opinions to my own but IGN always seem to have either a dismissive agenda or easily pleased. It's like they've already made their minds up before they play a game and then try and skew their reviews accordingly.

Then again IGN rely on 7's as average and that just seems...odd

Cetra

I'm loving it. Drips with atmosphere. The art direction is fantastic. Really an under-appreciated gaming experience IMO.

120v

I'm lttp too... pretty blown away. Nothing really to say that hasn't been said yet... presentation is best I've seen in a game since god knows when. Only complaint is it can be overly obtuse at times as to what you need to do to progress

For anybody who really enjoyed what CA did, I would recommend picking up The Art of Alien: Isolation. Its a really good read and give a lot of good insight to their Creative Process.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's a fantastic game, loved every bit of the experience

Will understand if we don't get a sequel but would love one, or for the same team to attack a franchise like Terminator with the same passion. You could FEEL the love of the IP ooze through the game

Will understand if we don't get a sequel but would love one, or for the same team to attack a franchise like Terminator with the same passion. You could FEEL the love of the IP ooze through the game

Terminator would be dope, but I personaly would love a game like this but for The Thing.

Edit: in b4 avatar quotes

For anybody who really enjoyed what CA did, I would recommend picking up The Art of Alien: Isolation. Its a really good read and give a lot of good insight to their Creative Process.

I wish they would come out with some high quality lithographs or something. I would decorate the hell out of my office with Isolation stuff.

Woffls

Heh, I love seeing all the LTTP threads for this brilliant game. This was my 2014 GOTY by a huge margin. It's just marvellous for so many reasons.

Play it on hard.

Catdaddy

Have to check that out. 20th Century Fox provided them with all the art/models from the actually movie which makes it even more great as far as atmosphere.

Probably one of the most pleasant surprises as far as games go, never heard of the game until it popped up on Amazon while looking for something else. Didn't hear a lot about it and when it came out the reviews (except for one or two) were all glowing.

It's somewhat of a niche game, as I can see and know people that didn't like the pacing (no CoD style kill everything) or the creepiness/scares. I do hope they make more.

FaintDeftone

I bought it for PC dirt cheap and played a bit of it. I haven't even encountered the alien yet but I'm digging the atmosphere. I really need to put some time aside to play this.

hew9753

A Friday The 13th game could be awesome with this formula. Being stalked through Camp Crystal lake by an unpredictable Jason...it's a no-brainer.

Sephzilla

A Friday The 13th game could be awesome with this formula. Being stalked through Camp Crystal lake by an unpredictable Jason...it's a no-brainer.

c8Ene56.gif

That's a damn good idea

In about two hours, when it starts getting dark, I am going to turn all the lights and crank my surround system up, see if my nerves hold.

If there ever is a sequal the one thing I hope they really improve is the AI kinda of hovering over the player. It got a little to aggressive at some points.

Someone on GAF in one of these Isolation threads suggested a jurrasic park game in a similar style as Isolation.

I thought it was a brilliant game with quite a few pacing issues. Audiovisual presentation is phenomenal and the core gameplay is excellent, although it's a bit over-long and I'd have gladly seen about a quarter of the content cut out.

Working through my admittedly large backlog here and I have arrived at this, IMO one of the best survival horror games released and finally the truly terrifying Alien game we have all bee waiting for.

I got a lot of this done before I moved onto something else, chapter 13 IIRC.

I am going to start fresh on this as I have forgotten some story details.

For anyone interested I will stream on twitch.

So what do you have to say about it, other than telling us you'll be streaming on Twitch?

EBE

So what do you have to say about it, other than telling us you'll be streaming on Twitch?

Tune in to his Twitch stream to find out!

on topic, i recently started the game up as well and im not really liking it. its not capturing any of the original Alien vibe.

on topic, i recently started the game up as well and im not really liking it. its not capturing any of the original Alien vibe.

Really? Wow. I felt like if anything, it was best at capturing the original alien vibe.

I guess diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

EGM1966

You've lost me there. The game is absolutely slavish to the vibe of the first film to the extent it's essentially a love letter to Scott, Cobb, Foss, Geiger, O'Bannon and co.

Fantastic game. Horror stuff never really does much for me, because I honestly don't get scared by much of it, but playing this game was genuinely terrifying and dread inducing.

Falchion

I have it installed on my system and everything but have yet to start it. I KNOW it's great but I just haven't had the time yet.

Auctopus

Bought this for £13 on a PSN sale and love it. I've been distracted from it because of Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 & Driveclub but I'll definitely get back to it around Halloween.

So much atmosphere and tension, it's brilliant.

Auctopus

IGN gave this an 5.9??? LOL IGN

Garbage site

You should see their review for Heroes of the Storm. I know nothing about MOBAs really and I can still tell Mitch Dyer is completely uniformed.

Although this is the same guy who said the human eye can't perceive 1080p unless it's on a 42" TV or higher.

EBE

Really? Wow. I felt like if anything, it was best at capturing the original alien vibe.

I guess diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
i dont know. ive seen Alien a whole bunch of times. its one of my favorite films of all time but just having a game that LOOKS like parts of Alien doesnt mean it captures the same vibe.

Alien has a tension between its characters thats difficult to explain. it was a class, race, and sex thing-it was Parker and Brett being looked down upon as the lowly mechanics assigned to the lower decks, it was Parker being the only black man aboard the ship, and it was Lambert and Ripley being vulnerable to the sexual advances of the males as well as of the alien.

it was about the power struggle between Dallas, Ripley, and Ash.

and it was scary precisely because you rarely saw the Alien, whereas in Isolation you see him all the damn time. i simply cannot be scared by it.

i dont know. ive seen Alien a whole bunch of times. its one of my favorite films of all time but just having a game that LOOKS like parts of Alien doesnt mean it captures the same vibe.

Alien has a tension between its characters thats difficult to explain. it was a class, race, and sex thing-it was Parker and Brett being looked down upon as the lowly mechanics assigned to the lower decks, it was Parker being the only black man aboard the ship, and it was Lambert and Ripley being vulnerable to the sexual advances of the males as well as of the alien.

and it was scary precisely because you rarely saw the Alien, whereas in Isolation you see him all the damn time. i simply cannot be scared by it.

Well, they're not retelling the movie. Since the main character is alone for the majority of the game, most of those things you mention don't really apply. I agree it makes it different, but I feel the atmosphere and (what 'vibe' means to me) vibe gel pretty well together between the game and movie.

Also, I feel like the Alien is a lot less visible in Isolation than in other games where you're 'fighting' against a monster/monsters.. Sure, you see it more than the movie, but the game is also significantly longer (and again, different).

Scared the hell out of me on a number of occasions, and was very tense throughout for the most part I felt. Sorry you didn't feel the same way, but everyone's different :)

EGM1966

Ah I see where you're coming from. Not sure i'd class that as "vibe" though. That's more specifics of delivery.

For me the vibe (or vibes) of Alien are truckers in space, fear of the unknown, sense of being helpless prey, increasing sense of isolation in face of hostile universe, corporate greed, paranoia, body fear, class tension, sexual tension, etc. LOL that's quite a lot of vibes actually!

In the game I'd say most of those are present and correct however the delivery in different due to game vs film medium differences, So the class, corporate etc tensions and "truckers in space" comes through logs, background files, the rundown, cheap nature of the space station, the Joe's etc.

There are however two strong elements of Alien I think are missing: strong body/sexual fear and interpersonal sexual/class tension.

I think that's invevitable though as not only would a game struggle to match the ease with which the film conjoured the sexual/class tension between Parker & Brett and Ripley and Dallas but the film goes more for Aliens' "where did everyone go and how do I survive this failed colony?" plot that Alien's "ten little Indians in space" plot.

But yeah I can see your point and in that regard it's not matching certain elements of Alien. I'd vibe wise though it's still very, very slavish overall to the original and not just in design.

As an aside I was slightly dissapointed they didn't include essentially Alien the movie as they clearly had all the assets to do so (and with two elements of DLC they delivered cut down "bits" of the film). I'm probably being greedy but if they'd included essentially Alien in its entirety as well as the Isolation narrative I'd have been over the moon (even though they'd have had to compress some stuff to avoid endless cut-scenes early on).

MMaRsu

Banned
You should see their review for Heroes of the Storm. I know nothing about MOBAs really and I can still tell Mitch Dyer is completely uniformed.

Although this is the same guy who said the human eye can't perceive 1080p unless it's on a 42" TV or higher.

lol that guy is an idiot. I mean, how can someone so uninformed still have a job?

Lettuce

Dare i say that Jason would probably been even more scarier that the Alien, just imagine hiding under a bed in a dimly lit log cabin with the thunder and lightning outside and the rain battering the window, watching just Jason's feets pacing around the room just to then stop pause for a moment and then immediately walk rapidly towards your position and flip the bed over and stick his machete in your head!!!

Top Bottom