• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details from french Shenmue 3 co-producer about the revival

http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/163...ur-francais-shenmue-3-raconte-dessous-revival

Rough translation : bold the interesting Sega part

This is the story of a fan that ends up being co-producer on a game people have been waiting for 15 years. On Shenmue 3 kickstater page, who just broke its $2 millions goal in less than half a day, tuesday, a frenchie is listed besides Yu Suzuki, as co-producer on the project : Cédric Biscay, through company Shibuya Productions. If the name doesn't rign any bell to anyone, millions of players can say thank you to it.

" I love Shenmue to begin with. I played the first two original games in japanese when they came out ". Though his company, Shibuy International who develops economic bridges through france and japan, he meets Yu Suzuki. " We started to talk about the project in 2013 in Monaco, then we talked more in Tokyo and San Fransisco ". The two men first think of two solutions : a real sequel or " something financially less risky. We finally ended up with the former because its what everybody is waiting for " he precises.

Still one big problem to take care : Sega. For years, the company refused to develop a sequel to Shenmue who ended up a financial fiasco on Dreamcast but they didn't want to give or sell the brand either. Biscay doesnt give details but he points that " Sega still holds the rights and accepted the project and the partners ".

No game reach $2 millions on Kickstarter as fast as Shenmue 3. But to create such an ambitious blockbuster, this is only pocket money at best. " Of course it's not enough " he admits. His company is already involved in the Astroboy anime reboot, is also participating in producing Shenmue 3. The other white knight is called Sony. If the game is a PS4 and PC exclusive, it's not by chance. Sony and Suzuki started negociating in GDC 2014. More than money, the Kickstarter is here to take temperature to gauge interest of fans. " If they push the project, then we will deliver " explained Gio Corsi who supervise Sony's projects with tiers publishers. The support isn't only logistic, Sony confirmed us that " of course " there is financial support.

The original Shenmue cost between $47 millions (according to Suzuki) and $70 millions (according to Sega). This sequel should be made for less even if the game use Unreal Engine and no home made software build from scratch like the original. According to Biscay, Suzuki already has a " clear " vision of the pacing of the game that should still be accessible for anyone who never played the original game. " Now the challenge is to make the game and not disapoint the fans " he says. We hope this will ned better than the Veronica Mars movie.

kickstart me if old

Hastati

took time to translate and no one respond :( too busy arguing in the other thread ? :)

No, thank you, this is a good read. Does this mean that Sega is fully on board, or is this some silly "for now" thing? That's not really possible though.

Really want to see how the financials go down over time, how much Sony will ultimately support it, etc. Glad that the Kickstarter has done so well regardless.

I feel like this was known, or maybe I was imagining it. It'll probably be a similar situation to Bayonetta as Sega owns the IP, but let Nintendo bring it to the Wii U.

No, thank you, this is a good read. Does this mean that Sega is fully on board, or is this some silly "for now" thing? That's not really possible though.

Really want to see how the financials go down over time, how much Sony will ultimately support it, etc. Glad that the Kickstarter has done so well regardless.

I guess Sega went " naaah, we won't give you a dime and we won't give you the rights either. We wont help we wont market it.. But you can do it. We'll take 20% royalties in the end, because you know, we still own the rights "

-Eddman-

The potentially sad thing about Sega wanting to keep the rights is: what if Shenmue 3 ends up being a financial success and then Sega just discards Suzuki and starts making their own bastardized sequels, spin-offs and mobile games?

HORRORSHØW

so it's just a reaffirmation of what we know, viz, that the kickstarter was to gauge fan interest and a "put up or shut up" declaration. since the project has reached its kickstarter goal the project can move forward and the primary investors will do the financial heavy-lifting with sega allowing assets to be used.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so, this is somehow similar to Bayonetta? Sega still owns the IP, and basically will receive royalties for each copy sold, without entering the dev/publòishing costs.

DR2K

Banned
The potentially sad thing about Sega wanting to keep the rights is: what if Shenmue 3 ends up being a financial success and then Sega just discards Suzuki and starts making their own bastardized sequels, spin-offs and mobile games?

The story will be finished with 3 regardless.

Shenmue 1 & 2: destroyed by Sony because of PS2
Shenmue 3: Revided due to Sony

The history of Shenmue can be an interesting book to read.

Joke aside, so excited to have Shenmue back.

It's sega. they won't do much other than Sonic and Miku games

Hastati

I guess Sega went " naaah, we won't give you a dime and we won't give you the rights either. We wont help we wont market it.. But you can do it. We'll take 20% royalties in the end, because you know, we still own the rights "

I wouldn't really be surprised ;-;

No actually it's looking like that's what happened.

At least it exists..!

I wonder how much funding Sony will give the game. The original costing around $70m is insane. I thought only modern games could reach figures like that? Probably to do with development budget inefficiency back in the day.

We would still have our trilogy. Finally.
We aren't supposed to support every blasphemy with the brand of Shenmue.

I wonder how much funding Sony will give the game. The original costing around $70m is insane. I thought only modern games could reach figures like that? Probably to do with development budget inefficiency back in the day.

Shenmue was pretty famous back in the day for its insane budget. I think it may have held a world record at some point?

Lain

Thanks for the translation.
I'm not a fan of Shenmue but it's always cool to know the details about these projects.

Ogni-XR21

Thanks for the translation, really appreciate all the background info I can get on this.

I read somewhere that it will take at least until Shenmue 4 to finish the story. Originally the plan was for it to span 5 games.

I don't see 3 being the end of the story. Man I really hope this will be successful and we actually get closure for the story with part 4.

big_z

well it was on Saturn before dreamcast so it had a lot of dev time. it was also a technical marvel for its time. by todays standards Shenmue is a pretty straight forward game and if they simply make a 3rd one the cost would be feasible. the game would be poor though since the gameplay is dated and not fun. i think well end up with something on par with the yakuza games in terms of budget and design.... that or an interactive graphic novel.

Could someone clear this up please

Sega still owns Shenmue, what say if any do they have in the creation of Shenmue 3

Could Sega be like, "No", and then Shenmue 3 is canceled?

they approve the project. but there is 0 mention of Sega taking any kind of financial risk or giving manpower or logistic support.

And as they are Being Sega and they own the rights, it wouldn't surprise anyone if they still end up taking a royalty fee on each sales

Klart

From the kickstarter page: "SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue" license."

Says enough, no?

Walpurgis

Banned
Thanks for the translation!!
http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/163...ur-francais-shenmue-3-raconte-dessous-revival

No game reach $2 millions on Kickstarter as fast as Shenmue 3. But to create such an ambitious blockbuster, this is only pocket money at best. " Of course it's not enough " he admits. His company is already involved in the Astroboy anime reboot, is also participating in producing Shenmue 3. The other white knight is called Sony. If the game is a PS4 and PC exclusive, it's not by chance. Sony and Suzuki started negotiating in GDC 2014. More than money, the Kickstarter is here to take temperature to gauge interest of fans. " If they push the project, then we will deliver " explained Gio Corsi who supervise Sony's projects with tiers publishers. The support isn't only logistic, Sony confirmed us that " of course " there is financial support.

GDC 2013
large.jpg
Yuu Suzuki and Mark Cerny

GDC 2014

Found from this video.

I know it says GDC 2014 in the article but I think they might have been talking before that.

GDC 2013

GDC 2014

Found from this video.

I know it says GDC 2014 in the article but I think they might have been talking before that.
Gdc 2014 might have been the time Adam Boyes start talking to Yu Suzuki, but I wouldn't be surprised the past relationship between Mark Cerny and Yu Suzuki help moving things along

GDC 2013

GDC 2014

Found from this video.

Indeed. Maybe Sony was in talk before. But the french guy from the interview speaks for his company so maybe they weren't involved before 2014

lupinko

That figure was for the engine creation, R&D, Saturn Project Berkley, DC 1&2.

Walpurgis

Banned
Indeed. Maybe Sony was in talk before. But the french guy from the interview speaks for his company so maybe they weren't involved before 2014

This makes the way they distanced themselves from the Kickstarter at their conference even stranger.

Disclaimer: I am happy that Shenmue isn't relying on crowdfunding and will get big Sony dollars and I don't want to derail the thread with that stuff. I am just trying to piece things together.

This makes the way they distanced themselves from the Kickstarter at their conference even stranger.

Disclaimer: I am happy that Shenmue isn't relying on crowdfunding and will get big Sony dollars and I don't want to derail the thread with that stuff. I am just trying to piece things together.

My guess:

1. Sony wants the marketing muscle that comes from a sure-fire successful Kickstarter
2. Sony doesn't want to come across as being "the first big, big company that uses Kickstarter instead of using 100% of their own money"
3. Shenmue as an IP, is one of those with very fervent fanbase, and Kickstarter is the ultimate rally cry for hardcores.
4. In the 1% chance it flops, Sony mitigates their risk in this. Sony doesn't want to come across as a villain that took away Shenmue from fans.

fedexpeon

Banned
Gdc 2014 might have been the time Adam Boyes start talking to Yu Suzuki, but I wouldn't be surprised the past relationship between Mark Cerny and Yu Suzuki help moving things along

I mean, who wouldn't listen to Mark Cerny after what he did for Sony?
The badass MFer created the best handheld system of this generation in term of technology and then followed up with the PS4 that ignited Sony brand to a greater height than the PS2.
If Mark suggested that Sony should consider talking to Suzuki about a Shenmue plan, I am all in.

Coxswain

I'd really like to have, if not an actual dollar figure, then at least a general ballpark of what Sony is kicking in for development versus what the Kickstarter is supposed to raise. Like with Bloodstained, we knew pretty early on that Deep Silver was putting in somewhere in the ballpark of $5m ("90% of the development cost" was quoted, with a minimum funding goal of $500k).

I'd hope that a $2m initial goal is a bigger proportion of what they're expecting to spend than the $500k was with Bloodstained. I'd rather see a lean, $10-15m game than something that balloons up to $20-30m+.

MaulerX

No game reach $2 millions on Kickstarter as fast as Shenmue 3. But to create such an ambitious blockbuster, this is only pocket money at best. " Of course it's not enough " he admits.

Which is why people are scratching their heads as to why Sony didn't just pony up the 2 million. So far it has roughly 37k guaranteed buyers and most of them at $29. How many copies will this sell at the end of the day? Now I see why nobody wanted to touch this with a ten foot pole.

Yup, if so sounds like basically what we'd expected Sega had been doing for the last decade.

Top Bottom