• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State your Hardware Biases - Round II (now with poll!)

What's your Hardware Bias?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hey everyone... if you remember, a few months back we had an interesting hardware bias thread. While I didn't start it, I somehow ended up being the fellow tracking all the details.

That was a load of annoying work.

Anyway, e3 has come and gone, and it's time to review our biases. Has GAF shifted in allegiance, or are things as they always were?

Choose the manufacturer(s) you have a clear bias for. If you would always opt for one company over another, or favor one company if you had to choose between them, the choice should be easy.

Again, vote for your bias... I'll keep you updated on the totals.

Special Notes:
1. Console hardware bias only. PC games are an entirely different animal, and as such are not listed. "Other" represents other consoles, NOT "computer gaming".

2. No, you can't vote for all three hardware manufacturers - if you did, you wouldn't have a bias. Come on... there must be ONE company you prefer.

3. If your gaming tastes are more aligned with who you hate than who you love, you might like the combo boxes.

Baker

Banned
All of the above. I like video games. Each company pleases and pisses me off in their own special ways.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
perplexcity said:
All of the above. I like video games. Each company pleases and pisses me off in their own special ways.

Beaten.

Nintendo is the only company doing almost everything completely right in my eyes. This wasn't true a few years ago but it is now.

lyre

Dead systems.

My backlog is just too much for me to even consider playing these new-fangled billion hour 'epics'. Add to the fact I play games to death before I move on, ... yeah.

McHuj

Nintendo all the way. I can't wait for the Wii.

I had a PS2, now have a Xbox360, but honestly, I don't find any of the games to be really fun. I got caught up in the hype and traded my PS2 for the Xbox360 when Oblivion/GRAW came out, but for about the last 2 months, my xbox360 has been gathering dust. I should have kept the PS2 until after GOWII came out.

That's ok, I have a DSlite now and that will keep me busy until Wii comes out.

i was a fan of Sony, but tilted torwards MS for this new gen, but frankly with Sony's price gauging and MS's ****ups, Nintendo's looking more and more like my platform of choice now.

IMO, I haven't played one game on the Xbox360 that's as fun as DS' NSMB.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Nintendo mostly, but I voted MS & Nintendo because of my intentions to own both consoles this gen.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I went "flavor of the moment" and voted MS. Nintendo might win me over with the Wii, but they've burned me too much in the past to get my vote now. And Sony, I just don't know where you are right now. You're like the girlfriend who I lived with for a couple years but you just said they needed some time apart and moved out. Maybe we can work it out. We had so much fun together, I don't want to just let you go. :_(

Microsoft.

I suppose I went with microsoft by default because if they were the first to enter the Nex-Gen market. If for example Sony entered, I probably would have bought the PS3 and supported them throughout the generation. Microsoft just came first and now they will be the only company to get what little money I throw at the market.

db

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sony and MS. I lean more to the Sony side, but I do be loving me XBOX360 and use it on a daily basis.

Honestly, I enjoy games from all three camps...but a lot of the software that Nintendo pushes really does nothing for me and the constant praise that software then receives annoys me.

Sony is my favorite simply because they've provided the greatest quantity of awesome software with the most variety AND have the best first party productions (IMO). MS doesn't have anywhere near the variety, but their killer apps are generally worthwhile (Halo being the king there).

SuomiDude

Nintendo definately. Has always been and will always be.

That's not to say however that I couldn't enjoy games on Sony's or M$'s consoles. Because I do enjoy quite a few games on their consoles. But Nintendo just has that special charm in their games, and even consoles (usually the looks and the controller) which makes me prefer them over anything else in videogames. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
With the DS and the Wii, Nintendo has gotten me back on board for the first time since the SNES... I absolutely love their philosophy (even going so far as to write a paper on the Gameboy as "disruptive technology" for a class back in '04, before Nintendo made it their mode d'emploi), their games have been consistently improving in quality approaching their classic levels of greatness (New Super Mario Bros, MKDS, the Fire Emblem games, etc), and they aren't afraid of tapping into the classic/2D games market (with the VC and such).

MS I think they are on the right track, with Live and XBLA and all, but they just can't get that Japanese support no matter how hard they try.

Sony was my choice the past 2 generations but the E3 debacle has basically killed off any interest I had at buying a PS3 right away...

cvxfreak

Talking on overall terms (handheld and console), I'm gonna go with Nintendo again. Their games are some of the best on the market, and they look to be kicking all sorts of ass on the Wii.

I'd co-pick one of the other two if Biohazard 5 were on ONE of them. But, nope, it's on both and there isn't a Silent Hill or Onimusha game to tip the balance.

Sony.

SInce 95, I've owned or still own: Saturn, N64, Xbox, GBA, GBC, GBP. GB, Dreamcast-- and I play my Sony machines more anyway. I'm fond of Sony's 1st and 2nd party stuff and they get the lion's share or 3rd party stuff. Now that I play games a lot less, I feel even less inclined to pick up additional systems than I have in the past. This generation I'll probably end up with only one system: Xbox360 or PS3. I'm leaning to the PS3 right now, but it's an open question. 360 hasn't screamed "buy me!" just yet, and the PS3 might not either.

Christopher

cvxfreak said:
Talking on overall terms (handheld and console), I'm gonna go with Nintendo again. Their games are some of the best on the market, and they look to be kicking all sorts of ass on the Wii.

I'd co-pick one of the other two if Biohazard 5 were on ONE of them. But, nope, it's on both and there isn't a Silent Hill or Onimusha game to tip the balance.

Biohazard will be the console I love as well...as Biohazard is an immence franchise.

I'd say Sony, but I don't have an eversion to any hardware or an excessive hatred towards a company like most people on here. I would buy an Atari handheld straight away if they released one.

DDayton

Musashi Wins! said:
I feel antipathy toward all the next gen home consoles right now.

Are you addicted to pie graphs or something?

Nah... it's just that many folks indicated an interest in seeing what the biases would be like after e3.

DDayton

Luna104 said:
I think because we're Juniors. Only 27 posts to go...

Hmm...I wasn't aware junior members couldn't vote, if that's true... of course, you can always come back and vote after you lose your junior status.

Kabouter

I'm gonna go with Microsoft.
Just for the fact that they're the most into Western gaming, which is largely the only kind I'm interested in :p.

I'm a multi-console type of guy, but I'm most partial to Nintendo. Their software is generally second to none, and their hardware is the most balanced and resilient of the three manufacturers.

While there is seemingly the most overlap between the XBox and PC libraries, MS nonetheless comes in second for me right now, due in part to their future potential, especially with XBox Live. (Though I'm still not subscribing for Gold.)

Sony on the other hand took a decisive plunge. While they have had the best third party support for the past two generations, their hardware generally has the most issues, making every purchase something of a leap of faith. (Even though I haven't yet had a problem, I'm still not taking it for granted.) Their hardware also tends to be the least optimized for gaming in one way or another. The final straw could be the high price for the PS3 if it doesn't drop fast enough. Either way, I can't see the likes of Atlus giving it much support due to high development costs and most likely to be lower than PS1/2 penetration.

Whether it's racing, boxing, soccer, Iron Chef or gaming, I always support the underdog. I have a feeling my bias will be changing over the coming year.

Trurl

Banned
I'm a Nintendo fanboy, I'll get a 360 either this year or in 2007 and a PS3 at an even more distant date but only Nintendo can make me giddy.

DDayton

Rorschach said:
What's this "not pc" @*&#(*&#? >:O

Well, this is a hardware manufacturer bias poll -- IBM Clones running a Windows OS aren't made by a single manufacturer. Besides, computers and game systems are different beasts...

genjiZERO

I'll get a Wii because I can afford it, and a PS3 because it has Final Fantasy, MGS and VirtuaFighter (but not until one of those games comes out). What's keeping me from a 360 is the utter lack of Japanese games.

duckroll

Voted for Sony. While I enjoy mostly games on both Sony systems and Nintendo systems, I'm a tech whore as well and simply prefer Sony's push on technology on the hardware.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Primary Sony, don't really care about the rest....although I end up playing most of the good games on the other systems too.

Jiggy

Nintendo.
I almost voted for Sony and Nintendo because 1) I really hate Microsoft, 2) it looks like we're talking mostly if not exclusively about home consoles and Nintendo home consoles are almost nothing compared to their portables, and 3) because I want to like Sony again...
...but I couldn't vote for it, because Sony's making it nigh-impossible with things like five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars, and their US branch's disdain for 2D when I'm a 2D elitist.

DDayton

Jiggy37 said:
2) it looks like we're talking mostly if not exclusively about home consoles

It's hardware manufacturer bias. Home units and handhelds are both perfectly valid for your consideration.

mug

I'm a big fan of handheld gaming and Nintendo pwn3d me with the GBA/DS. As for regular consoles, I had was a huge Sega fan until they went under. Now these days I'm still sticking with Nintendo products because they are more in my pricerange and show similar Sega qualities in their simple/durable hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom