• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4-page interview with Nintendo of Japan execs: Corporate Management Policy Briefing):

Probably not a lot to do with games:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/kessan/060607qa_e/index.html

I haven't read it yet, but I will because I'm a sucker for any chance to pick Miyamoto's brain.

Some quotes I found interesting:

Iwata said:
When I am surfing on the net, I often see such terms as "Web2.0" lately and feel that the world of the internet has entered into a new phase since last year. Looking at how video game companies are using Internet technologies, we have been wondering if it is the right approach to consistently use them just to compete against each gamer for 5 or 10 years. This is how we came to propose WiiConnect24, which will use the Internet for people to enjoy sharing information. I am yet to know what kind of revolutionary entertainment can be created with WiiConnect24, but we will not stop challenging these unprecedented things. You may feel that Nintendo has been doing things that it did not used to. You will be feeling the same way in the future as well. Whenever we sense that users' new needs must be there or there's got to be unique opportunity for us to surprise customers, we would always like to be an aggressive challenger.
Sounds like Nintendo is embracing a Live-inspired connection and might really do some nice things.

Iwata said:
In the majority of the other businesses, you are told, "You should ask the customers because they know the truth." So, you will thoroughly ask your customers what are the issues they feel about your products and try to make a hit product by solving the identified problems. In case of video games our job, in a sense, is to surprise the customers. Asking our customers, "what will surprise you," is the silliest question. Our customers will be surprised and happy when we can provide them with something they have never expected.
I agree with this. I know some cynics (I love you, drohne) will say that the job of a company is to satisfy its customers, but when it comes to art/entertainment, I say screw that. Have the company do extreme stuff. I'd rather completely hate a product than be kinda entertained by it.

Iwata said:
As for the launch time shortage of DS Lite, a major issue we faced was that we could not achieve the expected level of the yield ratio with the bicolor molding. We could have made a lot more DS Lite if we had had compromised on the quality level, but we have never wanted to do so. We do not want to compromise on the quality level of our commodities. Because we wanted to market only the commodities that we could be satisfied with, the initial shipments were limited.
Dunno how much of that is BS, but it sounds like a production problem.

Ooooh, here's one for Sales-Age
Question said:
How do you feel about the general remark that only Nintendo titles have sold well among the DS software and third parties' don't.
Iwata said:
In Japan we currently have 10 DS titles which top the million-sales mark. Among them, 9 are from Nintendo and 1 is Tamagocchi software from Bandai, so the general impression must be that Nintendo's software alone are doing well. If we see the software market share at this point in time, it may be true. However, please understand that developing software and making great sales takes time. As of now, quite a few software publishers are making DS software. However, they saw the explosive sales of DS only from the end of last year. So, if they realized at that time that DS will be the one they should put their software development priority, these software naturally should not be ready by now. Also, some of the third parties are very strong in making games with a full volume of contents, which take more time than the others. For example, Square-Enix announced at our DS Conference (in October 2004) that they would launch Final Fantasy 3, but the actual launch will take place this summer.
Blah, blah, PR.

Question said:
What is Mr. Miyamoto interested in now? How are you spending your leisure time nowadays?
Iwata said:
Miyamoto, who made Pikmin when he was gardening and Nintendogs after owning a dog, will answer his hobby today (laugh).
Miyamoto said:
What am I interested in now? I am interested in many things. Maybe you'd love to hear that I recently owned a cat or lizard (laugh). But these are not the decisive factors for me to think about next games. Talking about Pikmin, for example, we were doing a lot of experiments on GameCube by having some concepts which were eventually resulted as Pikmin. It was just that I was doing gardening at that time, so I thought, "Maybe this might fit into the concepts that we are experimenting now". It is not that we made the game system because I wanted to incorporate my gardening hobby. This is similar to the remark Takeda made today. I like dogs and since I owned my dog, I thought that dogs could be a game. However, fact of the matter is, we could not think about the concrete way to make it a fun game. We, then, encountered the DS hardware and realized that we can finally make an application on that dog concept. I was a typical Japanese husband who has been neglecting family lives, but I am spending more time with my family now. I am now interested in how a family enjoys in one house, and that interest pretty much suits well with the concept of Wii hardware. In that sense, Wii will become a hardware which will satisfy my interests of the past 20 years or so, so that I am enjoying making software right now. Finally, I am doing something lately, but I think I need to refrain from talking about it today. Hopefully, I can tell you what it is in 6 months or so.
MIYAMOTO WORKING ON WIISIMS OR WIIMS CONFIRMED!!!1

Battersea Power Station said:
... but you left out the immediately adjacent sentence?

In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube.

Not that it matters because everyone will argue about what "far" means.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
... but you left out the immediately adjacent sentence?

In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube.
confirmed: nintendo leaving console business after wii

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I do not intend to declare how many Wii we will be selling today, but Wii will be a failure if it cannot sell far more than GameCube did. In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube. Naturally, we are making efforts so that Wii will show a far greater result than GameCube.
Japan could make it happen for you Iwata, just launch with Brain Training.

donny2112

jj984jj said:
Japan could make it happen for you Iwata, just launch with Brain Training.

Brain Training is great because you can pick it up and play anywhere. Brain Training (at least in its current form) on a console? Bleh.

Cheebs

donny2112 said:
Brain Training is great because you can pick it up and play anywhere. Brain Training (at least in its current form) on a console? Bleh.
Exactly. They are aiming Wii Sports and Wii Music as the brain training of wii. Educational software doesn't work on a console like a handheld.

ant1532

Banned
donny2112 said:
Yea but the Japanese will buy it. It doesn't matter how much it sucks. It's a new trend

But wouldn't it be nice to have a New Brain Age on Wii and DS with Interchangable stats? So i have my states shared between the too, i play one on the go and one on the big screen at home. Online comparisons? Yes.

Tsubasa no Tenshi said:
Can anyone give a quick summerized version of the interview?

-Internet sounds fun
-Nintendo am growing up?
-DSL sales up sky, shortages total
-Haha third parties? Suck on a Brain
-Lolz I'm a bad Japanese husband
-Will Wright rocks, I'll steal his ideas w00t

Polari

Interesting interview. I don't know if I'm convinced of their appraisal of the Gameboy Micro's performance though. Marketing was the least of its problems. As for the Brain Training, I'm sure Nintendo has something cooking on that front. As Iwata said, the development time on those titles is very low (4 months for the first DS version, I imagine it will be similar if not shorter on the Wii) so the lack of an announcement doesn't mean it isn't coming near launch. I think it will work well on Wii, just as a more social game. Train on the DS version, compete with your friends and online on the Wii one.

Amir0x

Banned
i think Gameboy Micro simply hit the unspoken wall of "too many revisions" that all consumers must face at some point - being fakely 'trendy' and also pointlessly expensive didn't help it either.

PhoenixDark said:
-Internet sounds fun
-Nintendo am growing up?
-DSL sales up sky, shortages total
-Haha third parties? Suck on a Brain
-Lolz I'm a bad Japanese husband
-Will Wright rocks, I'll steal his ideas w00t

Thanks PhoenixDark! That was good both as a summery and for a laugh :)

Calidor

nice interview, I readed the full thing on the provided link, and I think the most interesting question is the last one (about Wii horsepower)

Sounds like $150 for the Wii hardware.

Also interesting that Iwata says they're willing to spend more on R&D/game development upfront to ensure there's a constant flow of software especailly for the post-launch period.

Smart.

Hopefully Star Fox Wii and Wave Race Wii are in development to fill in those gaps.

Archie said:
confirmed: nintendo leaving console business after wii

The important stuff was already translated last week by Reuters, Bloomberg, IGN, etc.

1up, Gamespot and many other sites had huge updates about this Business Meeting. Most of the stuff is only for shareholders and there is a boring Q&A video of the press conference too.

There are some threads about Nintendo's meeting on Gaf too.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2006/06/07/afx2798521.html

http://today.reuters.com/stocks/Quo...CH-JAPAN-NINTENDO-UPDATE-1-PICTURE.XML&rpc=66

2.2 million DS Lite production/month ... I smell a price cut coming for the US and Europe this fall.

They can coast off inflated DS pricing in Japan for a long time so they'll always have that cushion.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
ant1532 said:
Yea but the Japanese will buy it. It doesn't matter how much it sucks. It's a new trend

But wouldn't it be nice to have a New Brain Age on Wii and DS with Interchangable stats? So i have my states shared between the too, i play one on the go and one on the big screen at home. Online comparisons? Yes.

hey you're back, how you been

Terrell

MIYAMOTO WORKING ON WIISIMS OR WIIMS CONFIRMED!!!1
Uhhh... NO.
If anything, when you read the whole sentence, it seems like he's been more interested in making a multiplayer or collaborative use game, not some Sims rip-off.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Calidor said:
nice interview, I readed the full thing on the provided link, and I think the most interesting question is the last one (about Wii horsepower)

What was said? I can't read the interview from work.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mr. Miyamoto, aren't you facing any issues when you are making software due to the fact that Wii is not HD-ready or haven't you felt the Wii does not have high enough spec? How about you, Mr. Takeda?

Miyamoto:
I have made demo software for E3 and I have been making Wii titles now, but I have never felt that Wii needs more processing power. Actually, whatever spec numbers you may be talking about, there are always some technological limit. If anyone makes a game for HD, the hardware machine power must become more than quadrupled just to make it HD applicable. A similar thing can be said about the memory size. When developers are told that they can use as much memory size as they want, someone use them indiscriminately without thinking how it will affect other development activities, and it is becoming difficult for game directors to control the whole game development process. Such uncoordinated activities by each developer make the hardware work less efficiently and unnecessary development efforts must be taken for these activities. What we are trying to do is to create brand new freestyle entertainment that can be enjoyed by all the family members as well as by a single player. In making such entertainment, I have never felt stress about the power of Wii. Honestly, I have not been able to use 100% of GameCube's power yet, so I am very happy with Wii's far superior functionality.

Takeda: I don't think we have any problem about the hardware. It's just the matter of how you use the available technologies. We could use technologies to effectively process HD. In fact, Wii is using 90nano, SA and other state of the art technologies as well as DRAM integrated technology that others are also doing. Only the difference is, we are using these technologies differently from the others. Each company has its own idea on how they should use the technologies, and we believe our ways are the most desirable one for software creators.

Iwata:
I am still a developer at heart, so allow me to add my comment. I think it is just a matter of the balance. As I said earlier, the notion to be able to make more beautiful graphics is tempting. High-resolution sounds tempting too. I myself can tell the resulted difference in these areas even if many others can't, and I don't say I don't like technologies. I am one of the engineers so I am excited with new functionality. However, if I only listen to the voices of my engineer spirit, the resulted machine will be bigger in size, will take a longer time to start playing after turning on the switch and must be pretty difficult to employ such unique functions as WiiConnect24. So, we made the decision by asking ourselves, "which would let us make more attractive proposals to the consumers?" and "which will be the more balanced way to use the technologies?" We did not include some functions but it is not because we couldn't do so. It was just that we eliminated them to make Wii a better proposal. Of course, we have had very heated discussions. Now that we had decided to take this approach, after attending E3 and having listened to the feedback from so many people, we are convinced that the decision we made was the right one. Of course, 5 years from today or 10 years from today, we will need to review and determine the new balance in order to come up with our new proposals in terms of the actual needs of the customers and many other factors including affordable price. I am not saying that Nintendo will never launch HD-ready hardware. Rather, it can happen. However, when we seriously look into the current penetration ratio of HD TV, the need to take a long time to start software applications after turning on the power, the big console body, heat, power consumption, etc., etc., we had to make a more well-balanced machine. So, we have no regret about Wii in terms of its well-balanced nature.

Here ya go, bolded some parts for easier reading.

rafman400

ant1532 said:

If it can recognize my fours. >.>

Iwata first made that comment about Revolution outselling GameCube over a year ago.

ant1532 said:

Which sucky BT games have sold well so far?

The first 9 months of the Wii's lifecycle will probably determine whether or not it's going to really outsell the GCN significantly.

A $150 price point + strong software would probably do the trick though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
soundwave05 said:
The first 9 months of the Wii's lifecycle will probably determine whether or not it's going to really outsell the GCN significantly.

A $150 price point + strong software would probably do the trick though.
Much like the DS where the fireworks didn't really hit home till September/October last year. I guess the Wii will have the typical "Nintendo start" that has happened ever since the N64 but the catalyst might just be Mario Galaxy plus a few other titles.

speedpop said:
Much like the DS where the fireworks didn't really hit home till September/October last year. I guess the Wii will have the typical "Nintendo start" that has happened ever since the N64 but the catalyst might just be Mario Galaxy plus a few other titles.

If they don't get the Wii going within 9 months, I think they're in big trouble.

The DS actually got rolling in Japan within 5-6 months with Nintendogs.

The DS really hasn't hit stride in the US even yet, but that's a bit of a unique situation because of the GBA.

The DS got a lot more leeway too because it's a new handheld, and Nintendo dominates that sector, whereas with consoles ... really for a lot of people the last thing Nintendo did on a console that most people cared about was Zelda: OoT or GoldenEye.

They've lost a lot of mindshare in consoles over the last 8-9 years.

The other problem they have is the longer it takes the Wii to get going, the cheaper the XBox 360 and PS3 will get ... so that pricing advantage will be less and less of an advantage as time goes on.

They need to capitalize on that early on.

You read what Iwata says and I think he clearly understands this. Specifically what happens in months 4-10 (the post launch period) for the Wii will determine the system's fate IMO.

speedpop said:

I'd say the opposite.

R-User!

BorkBork said:
Mr. Miyamoto, aren't you facing any issues when you are making software due to the fact that Wii is not HD-ready or haven't you felt the Wii does not have high enough spec? How about you, Mr. Takeda?

Miyamoto: I have made demo software for E3 and I have been making Wii titles now, but I have never felt that Wii needs more processing power. Actually, whatever spec numbers you may be talking about, there are always some technological limit. If anyone makes a game for HD, the hardware machine power must become more than quadrupled just to make it HD applicable. A similar thing can be said about the memory size. When developers are told that they can use as much memory size as they want, someone use them indiscriminately without thinking how it will affect other development activities, and it is becoming difficult for game directors to control the whole game development process. Such uncoordinated activities by each developer make the hardware work less efficiently and unnecessary development efforts must be taken for these activities. What we are trying to do is to create brand new freestyle entertainment that can be enjoyed by all the family members as well as by a single player. In making such entertainment, I have never felt stress about the power of Wii. Honestly, I have not been able to use 100% of GameCube's power yet, so I am very happy with Wii's far superior functionality.

Takeda: I don't think we have any problem about the hardware. It's just the matter of how you use the available technologies. We could use technologies to effectively process HD. In fact, Wii is using 90nano, SA and other state of the art technologies as well as DRAM integrated technology that others are also doing. Only the difference is, we are using these technologies differently from the others. Each company has its own idea on how they should use the technologies, and we believe our ways are the most desirable one for software creators.

Iwata: I am still a developer at heart, so allow me to add my comment. I think it is just a matter of the balance. As I said earlier, the notion to be able to make more beautiful graphics is tempting. High-resolution sounds tempting too. I myself can tell the resulted difference in these areas even if many others can't, and I don't say I don't like technologies. I am one of the engineers so I am excited with new functionality. However, if I only listen to the voices of my engineer spirit, the resulted machine will be bigger in size, will take a longer time to start playing after turning on the switch and must be pretty difficult to employ such unique functions as WiiConnect24. So, we made the decision by asking ourselves, "which would let us make more attractive proposals to the consumers?" and "which will be the more balanced way to use the technologies?" We did not include some functions but it is not because we couldn't do so. It was just that we eliminated them to make Wii a better proposal. Of course, we have had very heated discussions. Now that we had decided to take this approach, after attending E3 and having listened to the feedback from so many people, we are convinced that the decision we made was the right one. Of course, 5 years from today or 10 years from today, we will need to review and determine the new balance in order to come up with our new proposals in terms of the actual needs of the customers and many other factors including affordable price. I am not saying that Nintendo will never launch HD-ready hardware. Rather, it can happen. However, when we seriously look into the current penetration ratio of HD TV, the need to take a long time to start software applications after turning on the power, the big console body, heat, power consumption, etc., etc., we had to make a more well-balanced machine. So, we have no regret about Wii in terms of its well-balanced nature.

Here ya go, bolded some parts for easier reading.

The All New Nintendo Wii: part of a well-balanced diet! :)

yum!

DrGAKMAN

Banned
ant1532 said:
hey lol, good :D
Anyways heres the video of thoe whole thing with slides... In English.

Edit*
woops, link.
http://www.irwebcasting.com/060607/04/969fa340e1/main/index_hi.htm

Fricken awesome, Iwata had alot to say. Says there's more software that's outside current "genre's" created to expand the market much like WiiSports or WiiMusic that they're not showing yet. He made mention of the feature of being able to put your face in the game and that more games outside of WiiSports would use this feature. We already knew this, but this still sounds fun to me.

He talked about three levels of game types that could be sold at different price levels. VC games being the lowest of course, while epics (like Zelda) would be more full price and Brain Training type games would be in between. I think some people misunderstood what he meant about lowering the price of games...

He said there would be 3 to 4 "new" types of touch generations game every year to keep people playing NDS...as well as other non-game software like the Opera browser & TV tuner. Hopefully they're planning on an official NDS media player and an official PDA app...to me, this would explode NDS outside of Japan. As far as touch generations type games I had an idea of like a love survey. Girls love those stupid "test your love" quizes in teeny bopper magazines, plus there's even more of this online. Imagine a "Love Training" game set-up like the Brain Training games where you take a series of tests to see what type of personality or "lover" you are and cross-compare that to possible mates games. I also thought about a "Heart Training" game, again like Brain Training but with the focus on excercize instruction. If they can make NDS a virtual cookbook thenanything's possible.

Top Bottom