• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the 2 main characters are in an established relationship?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So while watching the original Gears 4 gameplay reveal, I suppose out of the human tendency to ship together any pairing of two fictional characters, I had briefly wondered if the two characters shown were actually a couple. After having discounted that possibility a few minutes into the demo, it got me to thinking about how I had never actually seen a co-op game where it seemed like the two main characters were well into a relationship.

Usually in games, it seems characters are always trying to fall in love. Games focus so much on courtship and so little on characters just actually being in a relationship is a thing that just doesn't happen. Something like Catherine is obviously a game about being in a relationship but Vincent is really the lead male and both Katherine and Catherine are secondary characters to him.

So, are there actually any games where...
A.) There are two primary protagonists with relatively equal status in the game's story
B.) Those two protagonists are clear couple (no ambiguities)
C.) The game either doesn't portray their initial romance at all, or if they do, it becomes a much more minor plot point to their actual relationship within the game

This relationship doesn't even have to be the focus of the game, I just find the concept rather compelling to include. Like imagine if the Gears 4 characters actually were in a relationship? Or maybe it's co-op zombie survival game and it's just one couple trying to survive? Or some kind of co-op platformer? I guess the second character could be an AI controlled partner, as long as both characters are equally relevant to the story.

Obviously doesn't matter if the characters are gay or straight.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Geralt and Yennefer in Witcher 3

Snow and Serah in FF13 (but she's not playable I guess...well neither is Yen)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They don't seem like a couple to me in the game. They were in the prologue but that took place on the past

They are very much so in a established relationship. You might choose not to continue to pursue it but it's a fact that they are in a relationship, throughout the entire series in fact (which is fucked up considering what you do when you have no memory)

Also the Telltale games have a bunch of couples but I'm not sure that counts

Rhaknar

Also the OP asks for the 2 main characters and that is maybe a bit too specific

ZealousD

They are very much so in a established relationship. You might choose not to continue to pursue it but it's a fact that they are in a relationship, throughout the entire series in fact (which is fucked up considering what you do when you have no memory)

I haven't played any of the Witcher games but it's my understanding that Geralt is clearly the main character and any women he gets into a relationship with (or just straight up sexes) are part of a supporting cast.

Kind of looking for games where the two characters have basically equal importance to the story and are the two main protagonists.

Edit: Like Sheva/Chris in RE5. Or Jacob/Evie in AC:Syndicate. But we're looking for couples, not platonic work partners or siblings.

AC:Unity gets close with Arno and Elise, but not quite. It's still ultimately Arno's story.

Nairume

Banned
Kaim and Sarah from Lost Odyssey are a married couple
though they start the game having been estranged for a number of years

rekameohs

Banned
Bowser and Peach are married in the opening cutscene of Super Paper Mario.

They are two main playable characters (of four).

The marriage is only briefly mentioned again and does not have any more impact on the story after the opening.

Eh? Eh?

Their relationship is... complicated.

Ah ok. I'm still pretty early in the game and haven't Seen Yenn since she took off right at the start so there's probably more I have yet to see

Rhaknar

I haven't played any of the Witcher games but it's my understanding that Geralt is clearly the main character and any women he gets into a relationship with (or just straight up sexes) are part of a supporting cast.

Kind of looking for games where the two characters have basically equal importance to the story.

Well I just said that wanting the 2 main characters is too specific :) as you can see no example in this thread qualifies, hell most games only have 1 main character, even Gears

Dice//

Banned
Cecil and Rosa I guess?? They seemed pretty close and inseparable; they're married with a kid by the sequel.

Tifa and Cloud
do sleep together under the Highwind, so there's that

This is a tough topic, most seem to "flirt" during the journey more than anything.

Rhaknar

Oh! Don't you play both ladies in Fear Effect 2? They are the main characters and are in a relationship

250px-Fear_effect_2.jpg

ZealousD

Well I just said that wanting the 2 main characters is too specific :) as you can see no example in this thread qualifies, hell most games only have 1 main character, even Gears

Sorry, I edited my above post for non-romantic examples. Marcus/Dom would have been close enough if the two were gay. Sheva and Chris would have counted if the RE series clearly didn't have a fuckload of unresolved sexual tension (pretty sure there was a thread on this). AC: Syndicate is coming out with a brother/sister pairing. Enslaved has two main characters with Monkey/Trip. This is what I mean by having two primary protagonists. This isn't really a new concept in games. There are plenty of two-player co-op games. But the partners are usually friends or something. Rarely, if ever, a couple.

Somnid

I really want to see more of this but even the topic feels broad. I want to see a game lead by a married couple. I'm sure some exists but I can't think of one.

Adaren

I really want to see more of this but even the topic feels broad. I want to see a game lead by a married couple. I'm sure some exists but I can't think of one.

Tyrande and Malfurion in Warcraft 3, sort of.

They're married and frontline characters in an ensemble cast.

ZealousD

This is a tough topic, most seem to "flirt" during the journey more than anything.

Yeah, it's like the two characters are fighting off feelings for each other, or they flirt, or the sex scene becomes the "reward" at the end.

But nobody's like... "Hey baby, can you help me up this ledge?" You know, like some kind of intimate dialogue between two people who are in a relationship and know each other really well, without it always having to be about sexy times or talking about how much they love each other.

ZealousD

Tales of Xillia? The whole Jude and Milla thing?

lol, nope! Jude is clearly thirsty as fuck and Milla's like "you're a good friend, Jude". Like she wouldn't even know if some dude was crushing on her.

ZealousD

Xenoblade comes damn close to meeting those requirements, but is not quite there.

I think I quit about 15 hours in. When does this happen?
Does the girl who died come back from the dead or something? :eek:

Daverid

4gq3FlF.jpg

Even the search for Ciri in The Witcher 3 has nothing on the emotional power behind Kyle's journey for revenge.
The entire final sequence with Tavion is by far my favourite moment in video games.

Top Bottom