• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite power ups in gaming

What is your favorite power up in video games?

I will say the star from Super Mario Bros. It was so much fun. Also I will say the ROCKET LAUNCHER from the Metal Slug series.

New002

I always liked the Piece of Power from Link's Awakening.

LA_-_Piece_of_Power_2.gif

h#shdem0n

At their best, the fast shoes in Sonic let you fly over half of the level. However, they were just as, perhaps even more, likely to get you killed. Still, I'm gonna give 'em the shout out because of those times where they just work.

I'm one of those weirdos that generally hates power-ups. I like the main character to have all the tools they need from the start, or acquire those tools permanently as the game progresses.

So, that said, I don't like Mario power-ups.

But I love the 5x critical bonus from fully upgrading the handgun in RE4.

Also Wrench Lurker in BioShock.

Also double jump. Always double jump. All games with double jump.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
images

Yellow eco vents in Jak and Daxter. Let you shoot yellow hadokens with one hand, pretty much.

latest

ku-xlarge.gif

Double Cherry - Super Mario 3D World
Lucky Bell - Super Mario 3D World
Invincible Star - Super Mario series
Feather - Super Mario World
Yo-yo - Kirby Super Star
Ice Beam - Super Metroid

That's all I can think of. I can't think of many games that use power-ups and I'm not sure if it's right to call Yo-yo a power-up.

Cat mario. I don't know how they will ever top it, and Mario's gonna be aroind a long time.

Agreed, can you believe that after nearly 30 years if amazing power ups, that they are still getting better?

Cat Suit is even better than such legendary items as Tanooni Suit, Hammer Bros Suit, and the Cape Feather. Also, the Gold Flower from NMSB 2 is really fuckin' cool.

Soltype

The starman from Mario 3 is one of favorites, loved how the flipped through the air.
yx3zeVc.gif

Another favorite of mine is the lightning shield from Sonic 3, all those rings playing catch up was pretty cool.

Screw Attack in the Metroid series

item_screwattack.gif

This is a great one. I always remember reading the description of the Screw Attack as "making Samus nearly invincible to enemies" which seriously was badass at the time. The way it looks (it changes colors with all 3 suits) and sounds is fucking awesome - by far my favorite item/power-up in the game.

KOMANI

KOMANI
At their best, the fast shoes in Sonic let you fly over half of the level. However, they were just as, perhaps even more, likely to get you killed. Still, I'm gonna give 'em the shout out because of those times where they just work.
Came in to say this

REDSLATE

I imagine invulnerability is popular no matter what the game.

With that being said, creatively, the tinfoil body-armor in Sarge's Heroes stands out to me. It worked just like body-armor in 007 (layering on top of your health), except that you were a plastic toy soldier covering yourself in aluminum foil. It was clever.

Top Bottom