• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition

Thankfully, in our testing, both PS4 and Xbox One turned in excellent performance overall, delivering a smooth, stable 60fps for the vast majority of the duration. In fact, frame-rate on the whole is actually more consistent here than it was in its original console incarnation.

Unfortunately, for those interested in ramping up the experience to the next level, there is a caveat - there are slight performance issues on Xbox One when playing Legendary Dark Mode. This is an challenging gameplay mode previously introduced in the original PC version of the game that throws a much larger number of foes at the player. More than any other mode, this setting demands a perfect frame-rate - something that the Xbox One can't quite provide in all instances.

Essentially, we're looking at minor dips into the mid-50s - something that is just enough to interrupt fluidity. By comparison, these same sequences play without issue on PlayStation 4.

It should also be noted that a reasonable level of texture filtering is applied on both systems, unlike the initial release of DmC Devil May Cry on PS4 earlier this year.

As for which version to consider, it's pretty clear that the PC version comes out on top in terms of technical performance. Support for higher resolutions and hardware MSAA combine with excellent performance on a wide range of hardware to create a wonderfully polished experience from top to bottom - just don't plan on playing the game with a mouse and keyboard if you decide to go down that route.

Between the two console versions, it's easy to imagine that casual users would be happy either way since they both offer a nice improvement over the original release. That said, we have a real preference for the PlayStation 4 version due to flawless in-game performance in all modes and the more comfortable R1 and L1 buttons. Even considering these minor quibbles, Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition is perhaps the highest quality remaster Capcom has released this year - regardless of platform.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-face-off

Neoxon

So basically both run great overall, but the PS4 runs Legendary Dark Knight better. Fair enough.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's kind of nuts that the Xbox One doesn't run Legendary Dark Knight mode this well considering it's a remaster of a 2008 game.

I mean, the drops are minor, but still.

EDIT: Wait, there's no AA at all? C'mon...

Shin-Ra

Well done access games
Image quality-wise, both console versions run at a full 1920x1080 resolution but lack any form of anti-aliasing. This is a bit alarming considering that even the original Xbox 360 version utilised hardware multi-sampling - MSAA. Fortunately, the overall presentation is still acceptable as a result of the game's art direction, which avoids the use of high-contrast shaders and thin lines. It could be improved but during actual gameplay, image quality is still acceptable. It should also be noted that a reasonable level of texture filtering is applied on both systems, unlike the initial release of DmC Devil May Cry on PS4 earlier this year.
This is not something to be congratulated.

Percy

Banned
Is this the first time a Capcom game hasn't launched on PS4 with some glaring issue that puts it behind the Xbone version?

//DEVIL//

it's a friggin PS3 port. why there is a dipping in frames for the xbox one version in one of the modes ? the xbox is very capable hardware. they couldn't bother to optimize it a lil for a solid 60 fps in all modes ?

Edit: "lack any form of anti-aliasing" ??? you friggin kidding me ?

JordanKZ

If you've got the hardware to push it, the PC version is incredible. I was downsampling from 4K down to 2.5K with 8x MSAA and every setting to max:

Nv6liCs.jpg

it's a friggin PS3 port. why there is a dipping in frames for the xbox one version in one of the modes ? the xbox is very capable hardware. they couldn't bother to optimize it a lil for a solid 60 fps in all modes ?

Edit: lack any form of anti-aliasing ? you friggin kidding me ?
ive seen the video. framerate barely dips at all. Like between 60-57 frames in LG mode.
People were saying this in the official thread about no aa though. Not surprsing

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
you have a titan X. i dont think my R290 will do that on full HD screen

It may, but the post-processing performance is a little WTF. DMC4 non-SE runs in 200+ frames on most set-ups. Now SE runs in the 90's or so.

KingBroly

Banned
Probably not 4k at 8x MSAA but very likely most people with modern video cards like a 290 will be able to downsample it (or slather it in AA).

I'm able to do 1080p with 8x MSAA with my 970 no problem.

I think a developer on Steam said this version has a new lighting engine or something.

NotLiquid

Weird that MT Framework could be optimized to the extents it was on 360 and PS3, yet the PS4 and XBO versions aren't as up to snuff in their remasters.

JordanKZ

It may, but the post-processing performance is a little WTF. DMC4 non-SE runs in 200+ frames on most set-ups. Now SE runs in the 90's or so.

Should be stated that I'm running WIndows 10 insider preview build with potentially beta nvidia drivers. A friend of mine on W8.1 was similar hardware saw 10-15 frames higher.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I think a developer on Steam said this version has a new lighting engine or something.
...and as I said in the article I can do 1440p with 8x MSAA on a 780 no problem as well. For 4k I have to drop MSAA.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Weird that MT Framework could be optimized to the extents it was on 360 and PS3, yet the PS4 and XBO versions aren't as up to snuff in their remasters.

This is apparently a "new version" of MT Frameworks.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Shin-Ra

Textures are supposedly based on the 'enhanced' PC artwork but to our eyes, the results appear more as if a sharpening filter were applied to the base assets.
DMC4texturesharpening.gif
Why the fuck would they do that?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
you have a titan X. i dont think my R290 will do that on full HD screen

My 8800GT ran the original release in 1280x1024. My HD5870 ran it in full HD with 4XAA. I wouldn't worry a bit about your 290 running the remaster at 1080p :p

Shin-Ra

It's sad that these remasters keep getting farmed out to developers lacking both the technical and artistic sense to really do them justice.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's sad that these remasters keep getting farmed out to developers lacking both the technical and artistic sense to really do them justice.

Let's not pretend Capcom themselves would be above applying sharpening filters :p

dark10x

Well, I guess I won't be buying this. Why can't these remasters do it right? Preserving quality or increasing quality does not mean CSI style image enhancing...
Those textures were originally made for the PC version (original release), though. That's just worst case.

vg260

This was the quote:
DMC4SE runs on our updated MT Framework engine which supports additional post processing effects not present in the original DMC4. In addition to new visual effects, some texture assets have also been updated with higher resolution versions.

This is one of the reasons why the system requirements (including VRAM size) have gone up a bit.

Don't really care for the visual "enhancements", so it's rather unfortunate the performance takes a hit.

PC is probably the one to get if this bothers you because I think you can remove the blur. Although it's a tougher sell on PC if you already have the old version with no upgrade or discount option and not being able to carry over progress.

Those textures were originally made for the PC version (original release), though. That's just worst case.
Never had the original... well then I wonder why they carried over the "enhancement" to the new version. Surely no one actually likes that look.

Say it isn't so!

The PC version runs beautifully on my i5-2500k/7850, no drops below 60, max settings with 4x MSAA. The lack of AA on the console versions is a shame, surprised there's not at least 2x MSAA or FXAA or something.

Javin98

Banned
To me, this seems like a port where the devs went "Oh, it's 1080p/60 on both consoles! That's good enough!". This would explain the lack of AA and 16× AF. Also, those sharpened textures look like shit.

jett

D-Member
I'm never going to understand why DF never has a a minimum/average/max framerate chart for these things.

I was totally on my way to SSS shadow dante and then a poorly sharpened texture caught my eye and I threw up all over my controller. I want my money back, crapcom

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well shit .. this makes me think how well the original PS3/360 version holds up, especially considering its one of the earlier games of that generation.

Shin-Ra

The updated water actually has a higher transparency at a higher angle, with less direct sunlight bouncing off.

dark10x

I'm never going to understand why DF never has a a minimum/average/max framerate chart for these things.
It doesn't make as much sense when the frame-rate is capped. It's not like a PC benchmark where you can test headroom.

vg260

To me, this seems like a port where the devs went "Oh, it's 1080p/60 on both consoles! That's good enough!". This would explain the lack of AA and 16× AF. Also, those sharpened textures look like shit.

I feel like this is becoming a thing with ports. Just look at USFIV on PS4. It looks like the PS3 version in 1080p, with the same low-res effects and assets and no AF (except one stage). Hopefully they're going to fix those in the next patch (fingers crossed).

Javin98

Banned
I feel like this is becoming a thing with ports. Just look at USFIV on PS4. It looks like the PS3 version in 1080p, with the same low-res effects and assets and no AF (except one stage). Hopefully they're going to fix those in the next patch (fingers crossed).
Well, this is a thing with cheap ports, at least. Quality ports are good deal ahead of the last gen versions in visual fidelity. Just look at TLOU:R and GTA 5. However, it is sad that there is a lot of more of cheap ports than quality ports.

Angel_DvA

Capcom are the worst, easy money for them, will buy it used on PS4 or on steam sales.

the Xbox One version has framerate dips in Legendary Dark Knight and that's why I go PS4 if I go console.

Fury451

Banned
Wow, so basically all versions are good? Excellent.

Sad to see some game still have some technical problems considering their age, but I've had zero complaints with my version so far.

nded

Capcom are the worst, easy money for them, will buy it used on PS4 or on steam sales.

the Xbox One version has framerate dips in Legendary Dark Knight and that's why I go PS4 if I go console.

I dunno. Weird visual issues aside, they did add three new characters with unique move sets. I think that alone elevates this above the 'lazy remaster' category.

Top Bottom