• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni- screens (PS Vita, from Senran Kagura producer)

Endless

1427097966-valkyrie-drive-bhikkhuni-logo.jpg

valkyriedrive.marv.jp

fedexpeon

Banned
Yup, that the iconic design of Senran Kagura producer.
Day 1 to support his ever fight to spread the love/joy of breasts.

Does that team only make (what seem to be) comedic hentai games, or do they actually try to take themselves seriously in terms of tone and plot?

Tohsaka

Does that team only make (what seem to be) comedic hentai games, or do they actually try to take themselves seriously in terms of tone and plot?

There aren't any hentai games on modern consoles or handhelds, games released on them in Japan don't even contain nudity.

Mandelbo

I'm always surprised by how decent these games look, graphically at least. SV looked better than I expected it to as well. Just hope that this takes itself a little less seriously than Senran Kagura does.

Vex_

Banned
I actually like the idea of people turning into weapons.

Reminds of that one anime that I cant for the life of me remember the name of.

I meant it more in the sense of softcore ero, I guess.

Takaki also made Half Minute Hero, which is completely different from this or SK, although it's still comedic. He did a bunch of interviews at E3 where he was asked about why he makes these types of games

TT: There are some players who would otherwise be interested in the combo-based brawling gameplay, but they’re dissuaded by the fanservice and the aesthetics. Have you considered any ways to accommodate them during development? Do you have any thoughts on these sorts of people?

Takaki: Uh… not really.

I wanted to make a solid game but something I really enjoyed playing. As long as the game mechanics are solid, when people play it, they’ll understand it. It’s really hard to please those people and have the essence of what this game is.

TT: So… this is a different sort of question. The persona that you show is a very bombastic, focused, driven, single-minded sort of persona. Is that you? Or is that sort of this character that you like to portray for the mythos?

Takaki: [Laughs.] I try not to lie about who I am. I am pretty single-minded, and I just love games. I’m creating something that I enjoy, and I’m hoping that others will enjoy it or get something out of it.

Past titles, like Half-Minute Hero, have had my characteristics in a different way, too. It’s very comical, but has a different tone of what I’m trying to say. For those who haven’t played it, I would love for them to pick that up and see a different characteristic that I have. That was all me, too.

http://www.technologytell.com/gamin...ras-kenichiro-takaki-series-overseas-success/

What could you do, or what have you done, to make the games more inviting to people who might be discouraged by the degree of fanservice in the game?

Takaki: There are voices I’ve heard say that while they don’t mind clothes being ripped off in battle because that makes sense in context, characters appearing fairly undressed during talking scenes or adventure mode cutscenes is too jarring. I hear what they’re saying, but that is sort of the essence of Senran Kagura in the first place. If they can overlook that, I’d be happy… but there’s also an option in Deep Crimson that allows players to view the cutscenes without costumes or practical nudity… that sort of thing.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/2...ro-takaki-talks-sexualization-and-crossovers/

Thanks for posting that, Solidsnakex. This game looks great.

(I half-hope that whenever we get a new thread for the next Call-of-Gears game, that the first page is filled with people pointing out that it contains violence, or guns, or gun violence..)

SephLuis

Might come as a surprise, but the writing on Senran Kagura shinovi versus was really good. Check it out if you see a sale.

Kudo

Takaki is the hero we don't deserve. Definitely looking good, never doubted him.
Might import this but looking at Xseeds track-record pretty confident we will see it here too.

I don't know how comfortable I feel about playing as sexualised 14/15 yr olds weapon girls... but I really want to play it

edit - I just read there's a boob ranking system?! wut?!?!

xzeldax3

I don't know how comfortable I feel about playing as sexualised 14/15 yr olds weapon girls... but I really want to play it

edit - I just read there's a boob ranking system?! wut?!?!
As long as their bio says 18 in the localized version, you are good!

TheRook

I wonder if the girls from the other media of Valkyrie Drive will be added in later as DLC or something.

Also I gotta figure out how to play the social game when that launches.

Serious question and I'm not trying to troll. Is there a thread to discuss the issues some people have about the sexualisation of minors that some might say is prevalent in these types of games? I'd be interested in reading/commenting on it but don't want to just wade into this thread and be banned if there is another that is more appropriate.

fedexpeon

Banned
Serious question and I'm not trying to troll. Is there a thread to discuss the issues some people have about the sexualisation of minors that some might say is prevalent in these types of games? I'd be interested in reading/commenting on it but don't want to just wade into this thread and be banned if there is another that is more appropriate.

Welp!
ABANDON SHIP!

OceanBlue

You could make a thread for the topic. It'll let the thread stay focused on that discussion, leave this thread for purely discussing the game, and make examples from other games more relevant.

There have been threads on the topic before, but people on Gaming side seem to make multiple threads on the same topic all of the time so I don't think it's a huge issue.

Tohsaka

There have been multiple threads, they usually go on for 20 pages or so and end up getting locked after people accuse others of being pedophiles and get banned.

Gizuko

I actually like the idea of people turning into weapons.

Reminds of that one anime that I cant for the life of me remember the name of.

Soul eater?

I like the concept as well, just wonder what they will make of the plot (setting obvious joke aside).

GorillaJu

You mean every thread on every anime game, ever? There were actually people complaining that the Splatoon characters were too sexualized.

Teknoman

Depends on what country you are in and what age is considered a minor there I guess?

You mean every thread on every anime game, ever? There were actually people complaining that the Splatoon characters were too sexualized.

It really gets out of hand in a lot of cases. Games like Criminal Girls I understand, but when the design is clearly not of the loli variety, either not being sexualized or simply not appearing to be a minor, it gets to be annoying.

Oh dear. You might as well close this thread now.

SerTapTap

After estival versus I really wish I could play this on ps4 too... Soooo lurvely. But vita will do too I guess.

Oh good people are already trying to ban the game because anime

The plot itself is somewhat serious and gas dramatic/sad moments though I don't see what's wrong with focusing on comedy

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
After estival versus I really wish I could play this on ps4 too... Soooo lurvely. But vita will do too I guess.

Oh good people are already trying to ban the game because anime

Now I don't really care about the existence of this game either way.

But let's not make it seem like this is entirely what anime is about here.

Top Bottom