• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo figurines that were bundled with games

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Right before Nintendo struck gold by taking on the Skylanders formula in their own way, they released some pretty interesting limited editions of their games that were bundled with figurines/figures. The Skull Kid figurine (Majora's Mask 3D), Ganondorf figurine (Wii U + Wind Waker) and Blue Nazi Shell o' Death (Mario Kart 8) are three recent examples. If Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon and the upcoming Chibi-Robo games are anything to go by, it seems amiibo have taken the place of these "regular" figurines (at least for the time being).

Which other official Nintendo games came bundled with a figur(in)e? (Or were preorder bonuses.) I'm not talking about games like Hyrule Warriors that came with a scarf.

Toki767

Are you counting Nintendo publishing Bravely Default and including a figure in the special edition of that in Europe?

Pretty sure that's the only other time it was done, at least in the west.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Paper Mario came with an actual paper Mario.

Abnb6bD.jpg

Zalman

The closest thing I can think of is the PokéWalker in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, but... that's not really a figurine.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Kinda unrelated but i was going through some old junk and found a funky kong toy and im not sure where i got it from was there ever a mcdonalds toy deal with thr dk crew?

Tadaima

Yes, that's what I'm talking about! Didn't know those existed at all. Were those USA exclusive?

Not sure about the US, but they were available in Japan by pre-ordering. You received a bonus Arceus figure for pre-ordering both games, which I'm sure created a lot of arguments between siblings across the country.

Spainkiller

Thanks, man. Found an eBay seller who sold those exact three figures for 26 bucks :)

They're gonna look amazing next to my Ganondorf, Skull Kid, Blue Shell and amiibo!

mclem

I forget whether Nintendo published Monster Hunter Tri over here or if that was handled by Capcom, but the SE came with a bust of Lagiacrus in the box (there were some other busts, too, but they were distributed differently)

y3tQYNo.png

Spainkiller

Those two look a lot less impressive; it looks like Groudon is standing on a weird cookie.

Any more?

Well, the Majora's Mask figurine released in February and Amiibo have been around since last year. However it might've been planned before Amiibo blew up considering there were people disappointed it wasn't an Amiibo.

fernoca

Though Skull Kid was released this February, post-amiibo. Heck, some wished it was an amiibo. :p

But at least the amiibo serve both as a nice figure and can be used in the game to some extent.

It wasn't a pack-in but if you bought (pre-ordered?) Star Fox Adventures at Target you got a Fox bobblehead. Mine's still sealed, even.

This isn't my picture, I grabbed it from Google:

qMRP9WQ.jpg

I have both of these and they are indeed garbage. I got them from Walmart's website, I don't know if they were sold anywhere else. The Kyogre was broken off the base in the package. Both are extremely low quality, Groudon just looks terrible in general. Not even worth the $3 or so I paid for each of them.

Shantom

Amiibo aren't the first NFC figures that Nintendo have used. Pokemon Rumble U used them, and the collector's edition included two:

RWOvkdf.png

Spainkiller

I forget whether Nintendo published Monster Hunter Tri over here or if that was handled by Capcom, but the SE came with a bust of Lagiacrus in the box (there were some other busts, too, but they were distributed differently)

Seems there were three busts: Lagiacrus, Rathalos and Qurupeco.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys! For some reason I find this topic (figures that came with Nintendo games) really interesting and I had no idea there were so many Pokemon Rumble semi-amiibo. (Lots of shiny figures, for instance.)

I find it a little hard to believe that Nintendo had only started shipping figures with games the last few years, though. There must be more, right?

evanmisha

Amiibo aren't the first NFC figures that Nintendo have used. Pokemon Rumble U used them, and the collector's edition included two:

RWOvkdf.png

This was such a fucking shit show. They basically sent stores a single shipment, some stores sold their whole shipment to single customers, the pull rate of the rare figures was absurdly low considering how undershipped they all were, they never even sold them in Canada, they've somehow maintained value so they still go for an arm and a leg on eBay, and to top it all off, the game was awful.

Spainkiller

If anyone has a bunch of Pokémon Rumble U figures and wants to get rid of them, contact me, please :) I'm willing to buy them to complement my amiibo collection.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks came with two figurines if you bought a limited edition tin pack from GAME UK.

Funny thing about it is they accidentally put it up at the same price as the regular edition.

The Link is the same mould as a previous Link capsule toy series for Phantom Hourglass but with a different shield design.

Spainkiller

Those looks great, thanks for the info :) It seems that the Zelda games get added figures the most.

Ubersnug

Sacred 2 on the 360 came with a figure - and I couldnt help but burst out laughing when I first saw it in the flesh (so to speak)

942f4b246f3485cedbc8bde7c1833cf5.jpg

Honestly, it looks and feels like it came with a McDonald's happy meal...

Thankfully, it didn;t cost me any more than had I bought the normal boxed edition, or I would have been VERY Dissapointed.

Top Bottom