• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo figurines that were bundled with games

Tom_Cody

Right before Nintendo struck gold by taking on the Skylanders formula in their own way, they released some pretty interesting limited editions of their games that were bundled with figurines/figures. The Skull Kid figurine (Majora's Mask 3D), Ganondorf figurine (Wii U + Wind Waker) and Blue Nazi Shell o' Death (Mario Kart 8) are three recent examples. If Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon and the upcoming Chibi-Robo games are anything to go by, it seems amiibo have taken the place of these "regular" figurines (at least for the time being).

Which other official Nintendo games came bundled with a figur(in)e? (Or were preorder bonuses.) I'm not talking about games like Hyrule Warriors that came with a scarf.
I took those to essentially be Nintendo testing the market for making toys/Amiibos in general. I think it's less the case that Amiibos replaced those than it is that they were prototypes for Nintendo's Amiibo venture.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Hm, never thought about that. Certainly does explain why Nintendo suddenly decided to release figures around that time.

Galang

Banned
It wasn't a pack-in but if you bought (pre-ordered?) Star Fox Adventures at Target you got a Fox bobblehead. Mine's still sealed, even.

This isn't my picture, I grabbed it from Google:

qMRP9WQ.jpg

That is fucked up. I'd be scared to even take that home

It wasn't a pack-in but if you bought (pre-ordered?) Star Fox Adventures at Target you got a Fox bobblehead. Mine's still sealed, even.

This isn't my picture, I grabbed it from Google:

qMRP9WQ.jpg
As scary as that is it is no survival kit (it came with toilet paper, was someone in marketing thinking "oh this game is shit better pack some toilet paper"...that would be like Earthbound coming with a clothes peg because "this game stinks").

Amiibo aren't the first NFC figures that Nintendo have used. Pokemon Rumble U used them, and the collector's edition included two:

RWOvkdf.png
They were a lot, lot cheaper than amiibo...even if they were blind bags and you could find 0.35 retailers that acutally had stock of them.

CassSept

because these figures look decent, the other pic looks like some happy meal shit

I agree, but: how? Why? Different regions?

Probably, the ones I posted were from Europe.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/2...ng-limited-edition-steelbook-versions-europe/

No wonder they were cheap looking, they came free for steelbook preorders.

I have both of these and they are indeed garbage. I got them from Walmart's website, I don't know if they were sold anywhere else. The Kyogre was broken off the base in the package. Both are extremely low quality, Groudon just looks terrible in general. Not even worth the $3 or so I paid for each of them.

Yep these were terrible. My Kyogre slipped from my fingers while I struggled with opening the package and the base broke off immediately. It's not like it looked hot with the base either.

ChrisD

Nintendo had a hand in the first Epic Mickey, right? The Collectors Edition of that came with a Mickey Mouse figurine.

Can't remember if they helped publish or if it was just lots of advertising on their part.

As scary as that is it is no survival kit (it came with toilet paper, was someone in marketing thinking "oh this game is shit better pack some toilet paper"

I thought it came with toilet paper because it also had Krystal stickers.... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Zelda Minish Cap came with an animation cel, didn't it? Also, there was a Beyblade collector's edition for 3DS the came with an actual top.

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom