• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroki - A colorful 60FPS propeller-platformer from Picomy/Sega, iOS, $7.99

https://appsto.re/us/GvAB8.i
http://youtu.be/g-e9SNkk7lM

Fly into a beautiful action adventure and save a whimsical world full of flight and fantasy. Master the wind to fly, freefall, dash and bash your way across beautiful 3D rendered sky-islands, jungles, seas and deserts.
uyFJ8Bd.jpg
E8AQv7p.jpg

• 10+ hours of deep gameplay
  • Explore four stunning worlds
  • Meet and befriend a cast of friendly characters
  • Face dozens of unique enemies and prepare for an epic boss battle
  • Fly, freefall and fight, with the help of the wind and a propeller
  • Walk and explore when on land
  • Push, pick-up and throw objects
  • Master new skills such as powerful Dash and Bash attacks or use the power of Wind to solve puzzles
  • Spawn many Power-ups such as a Shield, Hourglass, Aeroblade and more
  • Find hidden treasures and collect many items
  • Discover a host of islands within your village to play mini-games and side-quests to earn special rewards
  • Multiple control schemes including intuitive Flow-motion controls
    Game Center Achievements
  • 60FPS performance with beautiful console-like graphics
  • iCloud saving
QiCK1Np.jpg
62nRAzd.jpg

orioto

Good Art™
Super pretty and makes me sad somewhere .. I'd like a videogame industry where this isn't a smartphone game but a full new great ip for consoles from sega. It's not even about being a smartphone game, it's more about being something little on the side.

I mean that character and those graphics, in the 90's it would have been E3 best game of the show :p

Things change..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's weird is that I have a hard time justifying the purchase of this simply because I do not enjoy playing games on my phone and rarely do so. Yet, if this were a super late Dreamcast release selling for, say, $60 I'd buy a copy right now.

It does look pretty neat, though, but the reality is that I really don't play games on my phone. I'm never in a situation where it makes sense to do so and I never really enjoy it.

Really wish it would be released on Vita.

Super pretty and makes me sad somewhere .. I'd like a videogame industry where this isn't a smartphone game but a full new great ip for consoles from sega. It's not even about being a smartphone game, it's more about being something little on the side.

I mean that character and those graphics, in the 90's it would have been E3 best game of the show :p

Things change..
Being on mobile isn't exactly a mark of shame anymore nowadays. A lot of critically acclaimed games come out on the platform. While some may still see mobile as a shitty wasteland, many devs and publishers today don't. It's just another viable platform for games.

And I wouldnt be surprised if it comes to consoles eventually. A lot of mobile games are, or are launching cross platform. Forgotten Memories, Badland, Submerged, etc. Especially since Sega is publishing

Not only that, many devs behind popular indie games started on mobile before expanding to consoles and PC. Devs of Papers Please, This War of Mine, Serpent in the Staglands, Hand of Fate, and more started on mobile.

pdk27

Posting my impressions from the iOS thread:

Ok I played the tutorial and the first level. The production values in this game are great. A lot of times I feel like shortcuts are taken on mobile games in comparison to portables but everything here from a production point of view screams quality.

Played around with all three controls schemes and settled on the floating stick in the corner. With the other two schemes my finger would end up blocking the view too often for my liking. My only suggestion with the controls would be that with the control stick scheme, maybe consider making the dive bomb control only work on the right side of the screen. When playing with a virtual stick I take my finger off quite a bit and a bunch of times when I brought it back the character would start to do the drop (the dive bomb command is just touch anywhere on the screen at the moment).

The first level is a nice open area where go around collecting the usual platforming elements. There are just a couple enemies so there is no worry of dying. I was just flying around trying to find all the hidden stuff I could. It was pretty enjoyable. Seems like there is an upgrade system as well so I'm guessing you get a few more powers. Right now I can dive bomb and pick up boxes to throw at enemies.

If the rest of the game keeps up the quality of the first level, I would have no problems recommended it at it's premium price. Hopefully it catches on because I'd rather see Sega publishing games like this than yet another Sonic runner.

orioto

Good Art™
Being on mobile isn't exactly a mark of shame anymore nowadays. A lot of critically acclaimed games come out on the platform. While some may still see mobile as a shitty wasteland, many devs and publishers today don't. It's just another viable platform for games

And I wouldnt be surprised if it comes to consoles eventually. A lot of mobile games are, or are launching cross platform. Forgotten Memories, Badland, Submerged, etc. Especially since Sega is publishing

Not only that, many devs behind popular indie games started on mobile before expanding to consoles and PC. Devs of Papers Please, This War of Mine, Serpent in the Staglands, Hand of Fate, and more started on mobile.

Yes that is true enough. But you know what i mean, it's not call of duty :) Times where a game like that would have been a big star are far away.

Apdiddy

This looks like a game the Sega of Genesis/Saturn days would have made. I'll definitely get this and I hope to see this on PS4/Vita someday.

Aki-at

Been interested in this game since they announced it thanks to the art direction. Hoping they can get it on Android at some point, love to have more platformers on the go.

SmokyDave

Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4.

There we go. Hopefully I've used up this threads entire allocation and we can come to terms with the fact that this iOS game is on iOS, rather than two failed platforms, one also-ran, and one unsuitable system.

Anilones

Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4, Vita, Wii U, Android, PS4.

There we go. Hopefully I've used up this threads entire allocation and we can come to terms with the fact that this iOS game is on iOS, rather than two failed platforms, one also-ran, and one unsuitable system.

Do you not frequent the iOS thread anymore? I've not seen you post there for sometime, perhaps since the migration to Community.

SmokyDave

Do you not frequent the iOS thread anymore? I've not seen you post there for sometime, perhaps since the migration to Community.
Not really since the move to Community. I tend to look into the OP of each one to see what I might've missed the month prior though. Nowadays I predominantly check out announcement threads, seethe at the endless port begging (or even better, the posts about not wanting to play phone games or touchscreen games) and then move on.

Eh, perhaps I should frequent the dedicated thread more often.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Let me clear, I don't have any problem with smartphone games or this game being exclusive to iOS, I just hate that it'll probably disappear without a trace, especially if they've been working on it for five years.

The optimal release strategy seems to be "release in niche community or on a niche platform to a controlled audience" > "release to smartphones once hype has peaked and general awareness is high"; I suggest Wii U because that fanbase is vocal and it makes particular sense for this game, but it could be anywhere, really.

Ellendway

Neo Member
I am surprised that it's optimized for iPhone 5. I expected that I would need to have iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. I must look so great on 6 Plus btw.

SmokyDave

Let me clear, I don't have any problem with smartphone games or this game being exclusive to iOS, I just hate that it'll probably disappear without a trace, especially if they've been working on it for five years.
I'd be willing to bet it'll be on Steam before the first autumn leaves fall from the trees.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes that is true enough. But you know what i mean, it's not call of duty :) Times where a game like that would have been a big star are far away.
One of the most acclaimed titles this year on the Xbox One has been Ori and the Blind Forest while Cuphead received more attention than Halo 5 at E3. Shovel Knight is getting a retail release. I mean, the best of the best indie games are right in line with the classic games of old. Those old 16-bit games were made by small teams too. The AAA games of today simply weren't being made in the past. Not like today.

Klart

Ugh, so SEGA pretty much stops bringing out stuff for consoles & now they make/finance great looking games...

Really awesome looking game. Love the art style. I wish more mobile games had an approach like this instead of being freemium. Hopefully I can get my hands on it one day.

heringer

It's sad that the port begging rule doesn't apply to mobile games.

Anyway, game looks really good. My backlog is way too big right now, but I'll keep my eye on it.

Anilones

The amount of comments in mobile threads about ports or consoles is crazy. Smartphones are for gaming too, accept this fact.

mdb

Neo Member
Dev here:

Thanks soo much for all your awesome comments!

We have just launched our full (still bèta) website www.picomy.com (or www.heroki.com) which gives a pretty good presentation about the game. You can find lots of information and videos there.

We'll also keep an eye on this topic for any feedback :)

jamsy

Looks really pretty. Would get if I had an iOS device.
Any chance of an Android version in the works?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's sad that the port begging rule doesn't apply to mobile games.

Anyway, game looks really good. My backlog is way too big right now, but I'll keep my eye on it.

Always been like that, tho the shitposting is much worse and even then it's rarely taken action against anyway.

:(

rjc571

Banned
On what planet does this have "beautiful, console-like graphics"??? It looks like a Wii game (and not a particularly impressive one either, compared to sidescrolling 60 fps Wii games like DKC Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn/Return to Dreamland, Klonoa remake, etc.). Well the Wii IS a console, I guess...

On what planet does this have "beautiful, console-like graphics"??? It looks like a Wii game (and not a particularly impressive one either, compared to sidescrolling 60 fps Wii games like DKC Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn/Return to Dreamland, Klonoa remake, etc.). Well the Wii IS a console, I guess...
Answered your own question

rjc571

Banned
Answered your own question

Then they might as well make a game with Atari 2600 graphics and say that it has console-like graphics. When they say console graphics you expect it to look like it came from a modern console, not one with 15 year old hardware. It's shitty advertising any way you look at it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Then they might as well make a game with Atari 2600 graphics and say that it has console-like graphics. When they say console graphics you expect it to look like it came from a modern console, not one with 15 year old hardware. It's shitty advertising any way you look at it.

Bler.

Plenty of decent indie titles on console that this is comparable too.

Looks really good, will buy.

Dev here:

Thanks soo much for all your awesome comments!

We have just launched our full (still bèta) website www.picomy.com (or www.heroki.com) which gives a pretty good presentation about the game. You can find lots of information and videos there.

We'll also keep an eye on this topic for any feedback :)

Welcome to the forum! :) Your game looks beyond amazing. Colourful, beautiful and wonderful. Please do consider an Android port at some point as I and I'm sure many others would purchase your game in a heartbeat if it was made available on other platforms. If I had access to it now (Android phone user) I would have purchased it hours ago.

So please do keep us informed. Are there currently any plans for Heroki to debut on more platforms in the near future?

I would think a game of this quality/price wouldn't do well on Android with the rampant piracy. Probably not worth the dev cost.

Anilones

I would think a game of this quality/price wouldn't do well on Android with the rampant piracy. Probably not worth the dev cost.
Absolutely right from my understanding with Android. Even Monument Valley, which was a lot cheaper, was pirated to insane levels (>90% if I recall correctly).

Top Bottom