• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechAssault: Phantom War (DS) new pics

king zell

mechassault-phantom-war-20060623051500008.jpg
mechassault-phantom-war-20060623051500899.jpg
mechassault-phantom-war-20060623051500430.jpg

mechassault-phantom-war-20060623051503461.jpg
mechassault-phantom-war-20060623051502336.jpg
mechassault-phantom-war-20060623051504899.jpg

more pics: http://media.ds.ign.com/media/811/811691/imgs_1.html

dunno looks pretty good for me?

if its got good multiplayer (online please), and controlls good, i will be there !

should be cell shaded though, that helps all 3d DS games :p

Why is it that this looks worse than the very first MechWarrior game made?

Can't we just start using fog again like the N64 so it's not THAT bad?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I may have been the only one at E3 to play this for more than five minutes, according to the FASA guy they had tending the kiosk. It actually seemed like a very above average game--controlled nice, needed to think about how you were going to fight, big variety of vehicles and mechs to jack. Liked the hacking minigame too.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
LOL!

(no really, I started laughing a lot at your post)

well..uh..thanks? B)

but yeah, this game doesn't look hot at all. Probably goes like 12 fps.

Servizio said:
I may have been the only one at E3 to play this for more than five minutes, according to the FASA guy they had tending the kiosk. It actually seemed like a very above average game--controlled nice, needed to think about how you were going to fight, big variety of vehicles and mechs to jack. Liked the hacking minigame too.

yeah man, it seemed pretty good to me. how exactly does it controll though?

graphic wise its kinda turdy, but seems good enough to enjoy.

Lapsed

Banned
I'm very hesitant of 3d games on the DS (they have a spotty record so far). To those that have played it, does the game control well? Do you have to go from stylus to D-pad and back?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
DS 3D.... god as much as I love my DS, the thing is a piece of shit when it comes to 3D graphics with possibly the exception of Viewtiful Joe.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
chespace said:
DS 3D.... god as much as I love my DS, the thing is a piece of shit when it comes to 3D graphics with possibly the exception of Viewtiful Joe.
FF3 and DQM look nice.

Rlan

They've tried to make the mechs look far too complicated. They hould really be streamlines a whole lot, especially in the colours.

Symytry

This looks like trash. They should reverse engineer Metroid Hunters and find out how to write a ****in game engine.

loosus

Banned
Game looks like crap, but developers can't be expected to waste their lives away trying to get decent performance out of crappy hardware like DS.

womp

As for anything like this on the DS, you HAVE TO HAVE VIDEO since the pics don't tell squat. Personally I was quite impressed by the video I have seen, it certainly looks a lot nicer than I thought was going to.

You want awful, lets get some Burnout Legends DS pics in here...Otherwise at least the guys putting this together seem to be AT LEAST trying to make it something decent.

We shall see.

On one hand, the DS is not a 3D powerhouse, but on the other, is it that hard to master 3D graphics on the DS? Nintendo's first party games are the only 3D games I've seen worth a damn.

mechugly.gif
kingkongugly.gif
nfs.gif

Fits in well. (didnt do the last one)

No, I don't think it looks that bad and I wouldn't mind playing games that look like UT99 as long as they play well and are fun.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
:Motorbass said:
mechugly.gif
kingkongugly.gif
nfs.gif

Fits in well. (didnt do the last one)

No, I don't think it looks that bad and I wouldn't mind playing games that look like UT99 as long as they play well and are fun.

:lol love your avatar too.

Deku

Banned
I only play mech warrior very rarely so I'm not sure if I'll enjoy this game even if its decent. The developers behind this is BackBone and they are the ones who developed Age of Empires DS for majesco, which turned out to be one of my favorites so far this year.

They also mentioned they switched to a 1 gbit card for this game, which can only be good news in terms of content.

Phoenix

Man that looks awful. If that looks 'good for DS', all the more reason to just not do 3D on the system.

wreckml

Why is everyone saying the graphics are bad like they are shocked? :lol 3D DS games look like crap, period. ITs just good thats not why we bought the system...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Scrow said:
it looks good... for the DS
No it doesn't. It looks like some mechs surrounded by a bunch of shit that looks horrible, even by DS standards.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Phoenix said:
Man that looks awful. If that looks 'good for DS', all the more reason to just not do 3D on the system.
I think it's more a stylistic thing. Mario Kart DS for example looks great, but not because it's technically impressive. Its style is just executed very well. Also, 3D on the DS looks absolutely horrible in stills, but appears much better once you see it in motion.

though in most cases i agree with you... 2D 4 eva!

There are worse things to worry about than the graphics; mainly, reasons why this won't ever be as good as a proper Mechwarrior DS could have been:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=694778

One of the few DS titles I spent a significant amount of time with this year was MechAssault: Phantom War, a surprisingly full-figured 3D mech experience on the handheld. The game plays a bit like its Xbox counterparts, with you controlling a small armored suit which has the advantage of being able to hack other larger mechs and various facilities, such as gate locks and whatnot.

The controls took a minute to get a handle of, but were surprisingly smooth afterwards. Movement is done via the d-pad, with the face buttons controlling your reticule; jump is on the L button and fire control on the Right. You cycle through your various weapons by tapping a button on the touch screen, and activate your defensive mods and "The Claw" the same way. The claw is an ability that lets you cling to certain surfaces, usually while your boost jets recharge. It's also what lets you grab onto an enemy mech and begin the hacking minigame.

The hacking minigame varies depending on what you're hacking, but it generally remains along the lines of a timed match-up challenge. You'll have four nodes with symbols on them, and you'll have to catch the corresponding symbol out of a stream of symbols and drag it to the correct node to open it.
Fast reflexes and quick eyes are mandatory.

All of the mechs seemed to be significantly different from one another, with different weapon loadouts, movement speed, and jumping ability. Some seemed better for one-on-one mech action while others were better suited to taking out squads of tanks and the buildings that spawned them.

GTA-ripoff + DS-gimmickry - proper MW customization - career mode - MW lore + first-gen PSX aesthetics = FAIL

chespace said:
Mario motha****in 64. But beyond that I can't think of much else. Oh, I know- Aminal Crossing. That's a game that meets us halfway in the graphics department.

Top Bottom