• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED ASH Kickstarter crashes n burns (Comcept/Inafune/Hyde making Mega Man Legends 3)

I really don't see the need in naming the characters Beck and Call in this game. We don't need them to be named that to KNOW this is the Legends game for Mighty Number 9. It just seems unnecessary.

Foffy

Banned
He talks about full freedom, but he sure liked to give two characters names his previous Kickstarter game had. And Beck and Call made sense for the type of homage it was.

Is he really pulling the same tricks again?

so if i got this right...
theyr doing a kickstarter to make a new anime, and a kickstarter for a game about said anime at the same time.
Wouldnt that be kind of awkward if the game funded but the anime didnt :p

Yeah it's a bit weird

I didn't know there was demand for a MML anime

TDLink

theyr doing a kickstarter to make a new anime, and a kickstarter for a game about said anime at the same time.

It is basically the opposite of that

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
At the anime expo reveal, looks like it's a big partnership with studio 4c since they're already announcing an anime to go along with it. They're describing It as an action rpg.

I've never played MM Legends. How approachable are they nowadays for someone who's only really familiar with the original series and X?

RK128

Yeah I find it interesting how they decided to move on to a new project instantly instead of dicking around, I would rather have this sooner than later.

Or, they had an idea of the project or had it in planing-stages while Mighty No. 9 development was still underway, so they held on to the idea and figured "We should announce this anime-like product at the Anime Expo, that way our kickstarter and the anime studio's kickstarter has a strong platform to work with".

Regardless, Mighty No. 9 is now at the 'gold' area, where they are polishing the work already done with the game, fixing bugs/glitches and adding the final layer of polish on the project. So, it is more then fair for them to move on to another project; I would rather this then them doing nothing while the core-bulk of Might No. 9 is done :l.

And....considering Beck and Call's names are being brought back, I think Inafune is pulling what the Mega Man series pulled in the past; different sub-series that have radically different gameplay but have a similar 'core'. Just this time, the names are only being carried over, everything else is completely original.

He talks about full freedom, but he sure liked to give two characters names his previous Kickstarter game had. And Beck and Call made sense for the type of homage it was.

Is he really pulling the same tricks again?

what are you talking about?

Shauni

I want to back this, since I love Legends, but PC only? I'll wait for more platforms to be announced or added to stretch goals or whatever. And $89 for a physical copy? The fuck...

wrowa

Is Comcept even a development studio? I was under the assumption that it's structured similar to Mistwalker and is mostly just Inafune managing/designing projects that are in development at other studios.

I want to back this, since I love Legends, but PC only? I'll wait for more platforms to be announced or added to stretch goals or whatever. And $89 for a physical copy? The fuck...

Yeah no other platforms even mentioned at all and $89 for a phyiscal copy make this very unattractive currently

Kusagari

I find the whole thing kind of awkward.

They want us to literally back both at the same time? Just feels ehh to me. I mean you're kickstarting an anime for a game about characters we know nothing about.

Inafune/Comcept sure know how to keep busy.

Donated my 25 buckaroos to it, but I sure wish all these cool kickstarters would space themselves out a little more so I can have more spare change to spend.

TDLink

At the anime expo reveal, looks like it's a big partnership with studio 4c since they're already announcing an anime to go along with it. They're describing It as an action rpg.

According to the kickstarter the initial funding goal for the anime is just a 5 minute episode. Reaching 2.48 million gets a full feature film. And then everything in between. No matter what it's not a full series though. A movie at most.

jett

D-Member
lol it's literally Mighty No.9 Legends, the main character is even called Beck too.

I'm definitely not donating anything until I see something that resembles a game. And I think it's a mistake to have two separate kickstarters, good luck with that.

edit: $90 for a physical copy? Holy shit they're fleecing people.

DNAbro

According to the kickstarter the initial funding goal for the anime is just a 5 minute episode. Reaching 2.48 million gets a full feature film. And then everything in between. No matter what it's not a full series though. A movie at most.

...are they serious?

ItsTheNew

Haven't checked the kick starter video but they showed a 8 minute gameplay/creation/storyboard animated short , is that what's on the kickstart?

I thought it was being co-developed between Comcept and Armature?

Is it just Inafune and Armature?

Basically Comcept is Inafune. It's like Sakurai and Sora Ltd. or Hironobu Sakaguchi and Mistwalker. They lead the game but hire other studios to be the main force developing the game

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I am at the panel and he just said they are trying to find a vertical slice. My hype is a bit in check from that.

The timing concerns me, since people's wallets may have been stretched thin with the announcement of Shenmue 3, and Mighty No 9 still awaiting release. However, hopefully MN9 is a success on a wide scale and helps further fund this game.

TDLink

...are they serious?

Haven't checked the kick starter video but they showed a 8 minute gameplay/creation/storyboard animated short , is that what's on the kickstart?

GrYUXQq.jpg

komplanen

Maybe it's just me but perhaps people should wait and see how this man's other projects turn out before backing a Kickstarter after Kicstarter solely based on his work at Capcom.

But who am I kidding, it's [insert familiar franchise]'s reboot so takeallmymoney.jpg amirite?

Maybe it's just me but perhaps people should wait and see how this man's other projects turn out before backing a Kickstarter after Kicstarter solely based on his work at Capcom.

But who am I kidding, it's [insert familiar franchise]'s reboot so takeallmymoney.jpg amirite?

It's $30. Many people feel like that's not a huge amount for taking a chance on something they want

I love how he is still making Mega Man games and putting his own new twist on it as well.

It's a nice touch that Beck and Call are still in this game as well, but are different characters from the Mighty No. 9 version like Mega Man in every different subseries. Just so cool!

ItsTheNew

Studio 4c producer ms tanaka is here and she's talking a big game about meeting with inafune and ~seemingly~ Making it sound like the anime is well underway

FUCKING
YES

I was just saying last night how I want something like this, and what do I see first thing this morning?? I'm speechless

Backed.
You got me again Inafune-san. Suck it Capcom.

Foffy

Banned
what are you talking about?

The trick he had for Mighty No. 9 was it was Not Mega Man, so it sold those fans. This new project is also Not Mega Man, but particularly, Not Mega Man Legends. A far much smaller niche, but the same approach all over again. The Beck and Call name reuse gave it away more than anything, for he's now relying on the success of that crowd-funded project to help fund this one. By "trick" I mean its main selling point.

My comment about freedom was a joke, for he's shackling himself to his past works to help fund his current ones. :p

spinz

The other important thing to remember if comparing this to double fine: mighty no. 9 is only a few months off schedule at the moment, and plan to release in a couple more months. Broken age on the other hand took way way way longer than reported.
I mean, inafune probably still deserves some grief about double kickstartering though.

Kickstarter said:
Pledge $2,999 or more

0 backers Limited (6 left of 6)

WELCOME TO <YOU>!

An area of KalKanon named after YOU! Your name will be the first thing Beck sees when entering your area!
Ugh. I hope no one backs at this level.

joe2187

Banned
If they can deliver something along the lines of similar to MML and Misadventures of Tronne bonne, then Im all aboard.

Those games are still so enjoyable.

Yarbskoo

I hope this succeeds. I was pretty disappointed when MML3 was canceled, and I never even played the previous ones.

The trick he had for Mighty No. 9 was it was Not Mega Man, so it sold those fans. This new project is also Not Mega Man, but particularly, Not Mega Man Legends. A far much smaller niche, but the same approach all over again. The Beck and Call name reuse gave it away more than anything, for he's now relying on the success of that crowd-funded project to help fund this one. By "trick" I mean its main selling point.

My comment about freedom was a joke, for he's shackling himself to his past works to help fund his current ones. :p

Well obviously yeah. I feel like MML is different enough from MM to not make this too weird. As long as it works for him and the fans get what they want it's win-win no?

Shauni

edit: $90 for a physical copy? Holy shit they're fleecing people.

Yeah, it's fucking nuts. I mean, hell, if this does get a physical release like MN9 ended up getting, it'd be cheaper to wait for that (granted, it has to actually get one, of course).

jett

D-Member
I cannot find any information the on the developer Hyde.

This is super fucking fishy.

They're really feeling themselves too. First stretch goal at 1.3 million. I don't think Inafune realizes MN9 hasn't enjoyed the best of impressions post-kickstarter.

Top Bottom