• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED ASH Kickstarter crashes n burns (Comcept/Inafune/Hyde making Mega Man Legends 3)

DNAbro

I don't think you have any idea how much animation costs. $150,000 is nothing when it comes to an animation budget, especially high quality animation like Studio 4c's.

I do know it costs a shitton. A 5 minute episode as the first goal is incredibly stupid though.

He's gonna take Kickstarter for it has at this point. 2 seperate Kickstarters for two projects under the same copycat franchise. Pretty disgusting.

Busaiku

Yeah, it's fucking nuts. I mean, hell, if this does get a physical release like MN9 ended up getting, it'd be cheaper to wait for that (granted, it has to actually get one, of course).
Knowing Comcept, it'll only be a Backer exclusive, ghetto DVD for PC only.
Then, 2 years later, the publisher announces a physical release.

BiggNife

MN9 comes out in 2 months so it's pretty much done and has publisher backing

I don't think they do this as "insurance"

that game is out in what 2 months though? a lot of the people like artists would have finished by now, gotta be near going gold too

My point is more that regardless of whether or not MN9 is a flop or a massive disappointment, this money would be enough so they could continue their next project. The jury's still out as to how MN9 is going to end up.

In the case of Massive Chalice, it was clear from the beginning that it was being made by Brad Muir and the Iron Brigade team, which had an established pedigree. In this case we kinda need to have faith that comcept knows what they're doing since their first big project isn't out yet.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TQ6vi0r.png

Hatchtag

Banned
I cannot find any information the on the developer Hyde.

They're really feeling themselves too. First stretch goal at 1.3 million. I don't think Inafune realizes MN9 hasn't enjoyed the best of impressions post-kickstarter.

I think he does realize that, hence him putting the kickstarter up before MN9s release.

This is a terrible idea. Even if this gets funded I don't see Inafune's next project seeing the light of day owing to kickstarter

jett

D-Member
is this the first time one person put up 2 kickstarters at the same time?

Well, the MN9 kickstarter is over so it's not exactly what you said, but Double Fine also put up another kickstarter before they shipped Broken Age.

Double Fine was actually kind of scummy, they waited until their Massive Chalice kickstarter was over before announcing that Broken Age would have to be split in two halves, therefore delaying the full game much more than anyone had thought.

Kusagari

Yeah, I kind of have the feeling this won't take off like Inafune seems to have planned.

It will reach the goal but reading between the lines he seems to be expecting MN9 numbers, which isn't happening.

Well, the MN9 kickstarter is over so it's not exactly what you said, but Double Fine also put up another kickstarter before they shipped Broken Age.

Double Fine was actually kind of scummy, they waited until their Massive Chalice kickstarter was over before announcing that Broken Age would have to be split in two halves, therefore delaying the full game much more than anyone had thought.

He has a kickstarter for a game and one for its anime launched at the same time, I dont remember that (2 at once) happening before

Crocodile

I cannot find any information the on the developer Hyde.

They're really feeling themselves too. First stretch goal at 1.3 million. I don't think Inafune realizes MN9 hasn't enjoyed the best of impressions post-kickstarter.

I think he does realize that, hence him putting the kickstarter up before MN9s release.

The vast majority of negative "impressions" I've heard about Mighty No. 9 boil down to "this game doesn't look exactly like the concept art, ergo Inafune is a hack fraud" or "how dare he not use the money he set aside for specific purposes to fund things he didn't alot a budget do during the initial Kickstater, ergo Inafune is a hack fraud!". Neither really tell us much about the quality of the game.

I'm a supporter of Inafune but why not wait to see how Might 9 does and develop this game with Mighty 9 profits?. If you need money, then ask the fans to support.

What is he going to do with Mighty 9 profits?.

NotLiquid

Yeah, nah.

Props to Inafune for getting some actual names this time around and I'm not against the man trying Kickstarter again, but actually reading this through this just strikes me as yet another attempt on his part to capitalize on the spiritual sequel train of another fan-favorite franchise because he knows how to push their buttons. Setting aside this not even being the first time he's doing it, maybe I wouldn't have had a problem with it if what he's showing isn't just a bunch of what is essentially brainstorming. This entire project reeks of as if this just came straight out of an elevator pitch with no one else taking a time out for it. A bunch of promises with nothing that gives us a solid indicator of how the end product will be after it had at least some time put into the oven.

I figured he'd at least figure out what didn't work for MN9's Kickstarter and the answer for that is just do separate Kickstarters? That's... not enough. Hell when you look at that fact alone it kind of seems self-congratulatory considering how laughably little there is to actually prove us on the concept. I'm tired of devs only walking into these things with what is essentially just concept art. At least have something of a prototype to show.

Reading over the Kickstarter though, the team really needs to give more information. I really want to know what platforms it will be on (and put physical copies down like Shenmue 3's Kickstarter has with PS4) and how contingent is the Kickstarter in getting funds to create the game? Concept has Mighty No. 9 coming out soon, so why do they need a Kickstarter in the first place?

Shauni

That's what they did for Mighty No. 9.
I put money down for this, cause I do want it to exist, but if we don't get better details, I'm definitely gonna pull it this time.

Yeah, I'm going to wait a bit before I put any money down. I thought I would be much more excited for a spiritual successor to Legends, but this...I just don't really know about this.

Hatchtag

Banned
The vast majority of negative "impressions" I've heard about Mighty No. 9 boil down to "this game doesn't look exactly like the concept art, ergo Inafune is a hack fraud" or "how dare he not use the money he set aside for specific purposes to fund things he didn't alot a budget do during the initial Kickstater, ergo Inafune is a hack fraud!". Neither really tell us much about the quality of the game.

A lot are about the bad graphics, but there's been a large amount of people complaining about how boring the level design looks. I've heard that easily as often as I've heard the graphics complaints.

jett

D-Member

A lot are about the bad graphics, but there's been a large amount of people complaining about how boring the level design looks. I've heard that easily as often as I've heard the graphics complaints.

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing... And also my personal opinion, not gonna lie. :p

Nordicus

Does whether the negativity is justified make one bit of difference if people with the open wallets feel like they have been burned / could get burned here?

kewlmyc

I hope the project is a success for all the MML fans out there (but didn't they want MML3 due to MML2 ending on a cliffhanger? This won't solve that.)

However, this whole situation with two kickstarters for a multi-media project reminds me of this tweet.

IJhNdJm.png

SpotAnime

Well, I backed for the game and the soundtrack, simply because I want to see the game get made. But that anime... man, I'd back if it wasn't $94 for the blu-ray. All the other tiers only include an SD download. For that I'll just wait for Crunchyroll or Funimation to get a hold of the streaming rights, or wait for the physical disc to show up at Rightstuf.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I will stay far away from this after MN9. I hope it succeeds and creates a good game though, of course.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Mmmh I felt a little burned on the M9 one regarding the graphics.
So this will be a wait and see for me.

Pretty sure they're going to have ways for people join in late.

Top Bottom