• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney announces Infinity 3.0 Launch Info - Release set for August 30th

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Kotaku

Today Disney announced an August 30 release date for the Star Wars-themed Infinity 3.0 starter pack, but anyone who has invested in one of the annual toys-meet-games titles knows that the starter pack is just the beginning.

1331594078295176876.jpg

Info

Release Date - August 30th
Starter Pack - $64.99 Twilight Republic (Anakin + Ahsoka)
Special PS4 Star Wars Bundle - $114.99 comes with Rise of the Empire + Twilight Republic Anakin, Ahsoka, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Boba Fett
Rise of the Empire - Timed PS4 Exclusive only in bunduru
Inside Out - Pixar Playset (Joy + Anger)
Tomorrow Land Power Discs

Stand Alone Characters
- Star Wars Rebels Set
- Mickey
- Minnie
- Olaf
- Tron Set
- Sadness Disgust Fear

I'm still baffled that Mickey and Frozen don't have playsets. Still not sure on the game, best buy has it for fairly cheap with a pre order and gamer's club unlocked, but I've never been too big on Star Wars.

Vanillalite

Cool. I'll pick up Mickey and Minnie. Is Mulan coming later?

Yeah more characters should launch in wave 2 which will probably coincide with when they drop the Rise of the Empire playset for everyone outside of the PS4 Bunduru.

Expect more Disney characters along with the launch of more SW stand alones.

I REALLY hope they design some great Star Wars levels for this and not bombard it with silly fetch quests nonsense from the past entries. I want an excuse to buy these if they can make a great Star Wars game, period.

SND

Banned
Expensive Star Wars game releasing two days before Max Mad and Phantom Pain. “It’s a bold strategy Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off for him.”

Last year's game was a buggy mess, was hoping they would launch later this time to make for a more stable launch... and they push up the release earlier. Going to be very cautious this time.

RK128

The PS4 exclusive bundle looks like a good value overall; for the price of two full-retail games, you are getting:
-Two 'Play-Sets' that are each 10-20 hours worth of content
-Five Characters (which are normally 12-15 bucks per character) = 90$ Value
-The extra play-set (Episodes IV-VI) = 30-40$ Value

Not that bad overall, considering 3.0 is supposed to be a huge improvement over both 1.0 and 2.0. I hope with Sumo Digital and Ninja Theory on board (with Ninja Theory making the Twilight of the Republic Play-Set), I have hopes that this is a great game.

I won't get it due to not being a huge fan of the whole toys-to-life concept but I hope that its a great game for people who enjoyed prior Infinity titles :).

Zalman

Other than children, who buys these? I've never really seen the appeal. Perhaps I am missing something?
I just buy my favorites and display them. Disney has always been a big part of my life. The game itself isn't that great if you ask me.

curb

Banned
I got in on a deal and preordered that full Saga set a couple weeks ago. Fingers crossed that the gameplay improvements live up to their potential.

Other than children, who buys these? I've never really seen the appeal. Perhaps I am missing something?
Collectors. Disney's IP is pretty popular, a unified line of figures has its appeal. The game, although mostly composed of several licensed kid game-quality "sets" it also has an expansive 3D game creation sandbox

finalflame

Gold Member
I just buy my favorites and display them. Disney has always been a big part of my life. The game itself isn't that great if you ask me.

Ah -- so like Amiibos? If so, that makes sense. I just don't understand the appeal of the game itself, perhaps because I've never played it, but jut seems like generic beat 'em up with Disney characters?

The combination of the game + characters to the end of actually just playing the game seems expensive is all.

Sora_N

The characters I want are always in two pacjs.. Spiderman and ahsoka :/

I preordered mulan and the tron figures though.

jwk94

So I've never played this before, I'm vehemently against characters not having playsets but I finally caved because the Star Wars stuff looks like fun. Are the sets forward compatible? Would I be able to purchase some of the previous playsets and play them here or do I have to buy their games?

Vanillalite

So I've never played this before, I'm vehemently against characters not having playsets but I finally caved because the Star Wars stuff looks like fun. Are the sets forward compatible? Would I be able to purchase some of the previous playsets and play them here or do I have to buy their games?

Characters are forward compatible. Playsets at least 1.0 didn't work with 2.0.

RK128

Ah -- so like Amiibos? If so, that makes sense. I just don't understand the appeal of the game itself, perhaps because I've never played it, but jut seems like generic beat 'em up with Disney characters?

The combination of the game + characters to the end of actually just playing the game seems expensive is all.

The Infinity series a jumbled mess regarding its gameplay :l.

1.0 had a very odd mixture of gameplay styles for each playset; Pirates mirrored ACIV, Cars was a semi-open world racing game, Lone Ranger was semi-open world action game, Monster's University was a 'pranking' game, Toy Story was something (don't know if it was just the Toy Box but stretched into a play-set or a action game :l) and Increadables is a open-world brawler. None of them were amazing but at least it offered a lot of verity per play set (and the Pirates, Monsters and Increables all being in the starter pack was really nice).

2.0 was far more scaled back in terms of content; Avengers and Spider-Man were direct copies of one another for there open worlds, the combat system was simple and while you had normal levels, they felt to 'samey' overall to be anything more then just average. Guardians of the Galaxy was completely original but it mirrored its gameplay to the Pirates playset form the original game; lots of action and combat mixed with some world exploring. In a effort to have the playsets be more focused, they ended up making them less 'special', leading to them being very similar to one another.

Kitoro

Haven't played since 1.0, even though I scored the Marvel 2.0 starter pack for $34 last Black Friday.

Are the playsets still just cookie cutter sandboxes with fetch and kill quests for the most part, or are they becoming more distinct and worthwhile?

Neoxon

I think it was. He said they already announced Ultron but didn't know about figures for the other two (being the twins) *wink*. I think it's happening.
If it was a hit, my gut is telling me that they'll be the pack-ins for whatever the Marvel playset is.
And obviously Disney would have my money, but they already do with everything else Marvel & Star Wars.

Elginer

Hmm... so tempted to finally get into this but the idea of me spending soo much money keeps me away.

curb

Banned
If it was a hit, my gut is telling me that they'll be the pack-ins for whatever the Marvel playset is.
And obviously Disney would have my money, but they already do with everything else Marvel & Star Wars.

Who knows really. I'm wondering if there'll be any Ant-Man content. 2.0 didn't tie to the movies directly so they could pull Ant-Man into the Ultron story.

I'm still hoping for a Captain Marvel figure myself.

mreddie

Who knows really. I'm wondering if there'll be any Ant-Man content. 2.0 didn't tie to the movies directly so they could pull Ant-Man into the Ultron story.

I'm still hoping for a Captain Marvel figure myself.

I have her power disc, but I get the feeling she'll just have Nova's moves.

Didn't sales do well?

It think it does fine. The ESA puts out their yearly summary document (page 11) and it contains the top 20 games on console and PC according to NPD. Disney Infinty 2.0 was 15 and Skylanders wasn't on the list. I doubt it's going away anytime soon.

Fair enough - I just always had the feeling it had under-performed for Disney, but then if we don't get any sales figures or any official word from them it's hard to tell.

robotrock

Banned
I think I'm going to finally check this out this year. I just want an excuse to buy the Inside Out Playset. What a good movie.
Every one of these sets goes for 50% off on Black Friday, so if you're in the US and have patience, just wait.

Good to know.

suikodan

I'm trying to understand. If I buy this Starter Set and play the Star Wars Adventure, can I match Buzz Lightyear with the Anakin figure included?

Or each world is "still" exclusive to its characters and that I need to build myself a level where Anakin, Buzz and McQueen can co-exist?

Stanng243

I'm trying to understand. If I buy this Starter Set and play the Star Wars Adventure, can I match Buzz Lightyear with the Anakin figure included?

Or each world is "still" exclusive to its characters and that I need to build myself a level where Anakin, Buzz and McQueen can co-exist?

They are coming out with Toy box takeover games(Sold separately of course) which i believe lets you use characters from different worlds together.

For the Disney side the new toybox game has a mini-form of a narrative that brings those characters together at least.

Lan_97

Pre-ordered the saga bundle. I jumped in at 2.0 after seeing the combat improvements and Marvel characters. The 2.0 playsets were too anemic in content, but 3.0 looks to be another large improvement.

Most worlds are exclusive. Like, you'll not be able to play the Star Wars playset as Buzz Lightyear or Sully. Disney property holders are very specific about who can go where in things. They're OK with them mixing in Toy Box related stuff, because it is branded as a toy box.

Top Bottom