• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tango (The Evil Within) puts up 18 job postings, looking for Unreal Engine experience

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It looks like Tango is ramping up for their next game.

The job postings (all in Japanese): http://jobs.zenimax.com/locations/view/45

It also sounds like they've decided using an engine that isn't really in Japanese was a bad idea. To note, some of these ask for experience with engines like Unreal while others ask for experience directly with it, varying per posting.

There's probably other interesting information to be had somewhere in here if anyone speaks Japanese fluently.

・UnrealEngineを使ったゲーム開発の実務経験
・各種ゲームエンジン(UnrealEngine4等)の豊富な知識
・UnrealEngineやUnity等ゲームエンジンの知識

Hypron

Thank god.

This gives me hope that they don't have to use the shitty IDtech5 engine anymore.

I wouldn't call it shitty. It works well for what it was intended for: run first person shooters on console at a locked 60 fps (Rage, Wolfenstein). It just wasn't well suited to what they wanted to do with The Evil Within.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Thank god.

This gives me hope that they don't have to use the shitty IDtech5 engine anymore.

They already using Id-tech6/Void engine for Doom and Dishonored 2 so id-tech 5 is dead. but it's weird that they using UE4 and not their new engine.

sjay1994

I wouldn't call it shitty. It works well for what it was intended for: run first person shooters on console at a locked 60 fps (Rage, Wolfenstein). It just wasn't well suited to what they wanted to do with The Evil Within.

Even wolfenstein had issues. Long load times, texture pop ins, etc.

I think RAGE is the only game that used that engine that didn't have many problems (I never played RAGE)

TEW was just clogged with tech, gameplay, story, world building issues, that it was among the worst games I played in 2014. At least with them getting rid of idtech, I have some confidence their next game will run well

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They already using Id-tech6/Void engine for Doom and Dishonored 2 so id-tech 5 is dead. but it's weird that they using UE4 and not their new engine.

It's hard to work with an engine that isn't in your own language and your tech support is in vastly different time zones than you.

Id-tech 6 and Void Engine are also separate engine, with even Battlecry and Arkane Austin using CryEngine instead, so there is almost no technological unity within ZeniMax.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Good news, but I hope that the lighting in their next game is as good as TEW. It looked phenomenal.

You have three lighting choices with Unreal Engine 4.

You can use Lightmass, which is Epic's internally developed solution.

You can use Lionhead's dynamic lighting solution.

Or you can use Enlighten, which is the lighting engine used by game like Battlefront and Need For Speed 2015.

Thank god, I hope everyone around Bethesda drops idTech5 ASAP. I didn't think The Evil Within was astounding but I am definitely interested in their future games.

They should just ape Resident Evil 4 for The Evil Within 2, or whatever, because there is no way they are going to be able to make a good survival horror game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I look forward to whatever it is they're working on next, though I do hope for some sort of horror game as a horror enthusiast.

Koobion

What about idTech6? Such a shame they're abandoning it after idTech5 was so brilliant.
/s, but I actually think The Evil Within's visuals are great on PC

Survival horror games are meant to be scary. It's kind of in the name of the genre.

If you found The Evil Within scary, an actual horror game would probably kill you.

Survival Horror always means that you should be scared? Nothing to do with gameplay or a good atmosphere? I'm curious. In recent memory, what would you say are 5 good surival horror games?

Awesome! Loved TEW but it's technical problems were a huge bummer. Hopefully this helps out a lot with that and they can focus on design.

Also, Mikami quote here for all the 'survival horror' debating:

“It’s a close genre but the difference between pure horror and survival horror is that in the latter you can defeat the monsters and feel good about it. You have to have that sense of being able to defeat a monster, even if it’s tough.

“I’ve made Evil Within to be a very difficult game but when you finish the game, you will feel a sense of achievement. It is scary, but don’t be scared too much.”

TEW was never going to be a hide and seek outlast or amnesia style horror game, and I'm glad for it. It's an intense one where you are hunted and feel underpowered, but ultimately can prevail through quick thinking and precise shooting.

Survival horror games are meant to be scary. It's kind of in the name of the genre.

If you found The Evil Within scary, an actual horror game would probably kill you.
Nah, horror doesn't HAVE to be scary. Just have horror themes. PT wasn't scary to me, but my enjoyment came from it being an exceptional experience. I still call it a horror game, though, as do many others.

Odrion

Banned

Nah, Rage and Wolfeinstein had shitty engines.

A game site literally programmed their website to parody the awful texture loading of Rage.

-MD-

Some people found it to be scary, I personally didn't.

I will say it was tense though during the first playthrough, they nailed the atmosphere/survival portion of it. If something like Revelations 2 can be marketed as "survival horror" The Evil Within most definitely can.

Neff

Without descending into badass territory here, I personally don't find any games what I'd call scary. Creepy, yes. Unsettling, yes. But not actually scary. And it's worth bearing in mind that the criteria for instilling fear (at least in entertainment) varies hugely from one individual to the next, possibly more than any emotion human beings feel. There's no barometer for scary or not scary outside of real-world dangers, and even then, one man's vertigo is a high steel worker's bread and butter.

What's more, Shinji Mikami has gone to great lengths to describe exactly what Survival Horror entails (the term was coined by Capcom/Mikami after all), and The Evil Within is consistent with his philosophy.

The Evil Within may be(next to Alien Isolation)one best survival horror games I've played in a REALLY long time. Actually, the both of those are two of the best games I've experienced in any genre.

Fisty

Hopefully we can get something along the lines of Project Zwei or whatever it was called, that was a very interesting premise. Tango certainly proved they can get the sales, so hopefully Zenimax gives them some creative freedom to make whatever they want

What if Tango's next game was called "And Cash"? And what if Kurt Russel and Sylvester Stallone were both voice actors for this supposed next game?

gelf

Cool, I'll look forward to what they do next. Loved Evil Within no matter what genre it did or didn't belong to.

Top Bottom