• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tango (The Evil Within) puts up 18 job postings, looking for Unreal Engine experience

Mikami supposedly wanted to make a Sci-Fi game when Tango first got purchased by Bethesda, but they wanted him to do something he's better known for instead. I wonder if he'll get to do the sci-fi game this time.

BadWolf

If not TEW2, wonder if it's something new or another take on one of his previous games with Capcom/PG.

Either way, really looking forward to his team's new game.

Fisty

Mikami supposedly wanted to make a Sci-Fi game when Tango first got purchased by Bethesda, but they wanted him to do something he's better known for instead. I wonder if he'll get to do the sci-fi game this time.

In that case hopefully Zenimax pulls a Rockstar and buys the Vanquish IP for him :DDDDDDD

Neff

Hopefully we can get something along the lines of Project Zwei or whatever it was called, that was a very interesting premise. Tango certainly proved they can get the sales, so hopefully Zenimax gives them some creative freedom to make whatever they want

Kind of sad we never got the stuff from the concept art, it looked interesting.

0oADgx.jpg

I'd love another horror title from Tango, but if Mikami wants to direct, maybe I'd prefer it if they went in another direction. Not because I was dissatisfied with TEW (I loved it), but because I want to see what he can do in other genres.

Sounds yummy.

Whether it's TEW2, not-Vanquish, or some other spiritual successor (Remember he talked about God Hand and Dino Crisis?) I'm just glad he's still in the business of making games without needing to beg for kickstarter money- That's getting hairy with all the scrutiny.

Neff

Whether it's TEW2, not-Vanquish, or some other spiritual successor (Remember he talked about God Hand and Dino Crisis?) I'm just glad he's still in the business of making games without needing to beg for kickstarter money- That's getting hairy with all the scrutiny.

I dread the day Mikami has to whore himself for those willing to spend $800 for a portrait of themselves in the mansion of his new horror title, Sweet Hazard. Joan Sandwich stretch goals!

God I'd love to see what he could do with sci-fi!

Probably something with a protagonist in a hi-tech white suit.

Kazuhira

I don´t know if this is old news but someone on Gamefaqs posted that a new edition of the game may be coming in september.
It´s called "TEW:100% Uncut Edition"
Here

Survival Horror always means that you should be scared? Nothing to do with gameplay or a good atmosphere? I'm curious. In recent memory, what would you say are 5 good surival horror games?

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Outlast
Alien: Isolation
Metro: Last Light
Silent Hill: Downpour

SURGEdude

Looking forward to what they can come up with next. I imagine the difficulties of working with a rarely used poorly fitting suited engine like iDT5 sapped a lot of time away from the game. TEW was just a few tweaks away from going from decent to really good. I think the likelyhood of them nailing a sequel are very high. Or a new IP if that's the direction they choose to go.

Whether it's TEW2, not-Vanquish, or some other spiritual successor I'm just glad he's still in the business of making games without needing to beg for kickstarter money- That's getting hairy with all the scrutiny.

If you finished the second dlc then it's pretty obvious they are making a sequel.

I'm glad they changed engines, and i hope it helps but to be honest it looked like they had just started to fix most of the main games problems in the dlc
the framerate was rock solid, the camera and fov was improved, and they sorted out a much better camera for aiming.
I hope the lighting can still be as good with unreal engine....

"Hide and seek" horror games aren't survival horror though.

Fine, I'll refine my list in accordance with the statement.

Alien: Isolation (there's combat against Android characters throughout the game, so not really "hide and seek"
Dying Light
The Forest
Fatal Frame V (Coming West officially soon, I've just imported it though)

Does this work better?

Sweet christ baby jesus, we don't deserve them.

I fully expected Evil Within's mediocre sales performance to immediately shut the studio down.

Whatever keeps Mikami in the industry as a director or even producer, we are better for it.

I fully expected Evil Within's mediocre sales performance to immediately shut the studio down.

Whatever keeps Mikami in the industry as a director or even producer, we are better for it.
I thought it sold pretty well, given its overall reception and the fact it was a new IP?

Is Mikami staying? I thought he said TEW was the last game for him, but I'm probably misremembering.

He originally said he intended on retiring from game directing after Evil Within, but the experiences he had while directing the game (and I think pressure from Bethesda lol) convinced him otherwise. So you aren't misremembering, at least.

I thought it sold pretty well, given its overall reception and the fact it was a new IP?

Yes, I'm fairly sure it sold well.

why do people continually say this?, i know most people hated this game but c'mon son... It deservedly sold huge amounts and was one the best selling games when it released.

DVCY201

I don´t know if this is old news but someone on Gamefaqs posted that a new edition of the game may be coming in september.
It´s called "TEW:100% Uncut Edition"
Here

I'll double-dip immediately.

I'd love for a sequel though, the story is set-up and it's just nice seeing another horror franchise alongside Resident Evil. Especially with them working with Unreal instead of iDTech, ugh, that was an awful idea.

-MD-

Is Mikami staying? I thought he said TEW was the last game for him, but I'm probably misremembering.

He originally said he intended on retiring from game directing after Evil Within, but the experiences he had while directing the game (and I think pressure from Bethesda lol) convinced him otherwise. So you aren't misremembering, at least.

You're close but he had come to the conclusion to retire on TEW before work on TEW began, that comment was made because he thought he would have no spare time to direct games while managing the studio.

"I probably shouldn't have said that," says Mikami. "My bosses were pretty upset. That was something I decided before I started Tango, that the next project would be my last. ... I was thinking back then that I would have to spend more time managing the studio and training people rather than directing. But now because Tango is part of Bethesda, I have less management overhead. So I have more time to get involved with a game than I originally thought I would."

-------------------

223b1d.gif

Fine, I'll refine my list in accordance with the statement.

Alien: Isolation (there's combat against Android characters throughout the game, so not really "hide and seek"
Dying Light
The Forest
Fatal Frame V (Coming West officially soon, I've just imported it though)

Does this work better?

Slightly but like MD I'm not too sure why Metro is there? I thought it's "horror" in the vein as Bioshock or something.

And Downpour... I don't know man...

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I don't think that any game is scary if you're a teenager or an adult. Maybe to a kid but that's it.

The Evil Within was an excellent game and im looking forward to a sequel. Word of advice to Tango - make sure the game is full screen and move back the damn camera in general and especially when aiming. Those three things get done and I'll be a happy camper.

Personally, I don't think that any game is scary if you're a teenager or an adult. Maybe to a kid but that's it.

The Evil Within was an excellent game and im looking forward to a sequel. Word of advice to Tango - make sure the game is full screen and move back the damn camera in general and especially when aiming. Those three things get done and I'll be a happy camper.

Those are fixed in the latest patch. Camera is moved back and the game is in full screen.

Even wolfenstein had issues. Long load times, texture pop ins, etc.

I think RAGE is the only game that used that engine that didn't have many problems (I never played RAGE)

TEW was just clogged with tech, gameplay, story, world building issues, that it was among the worst games I played in 2014. At least with them getting rid of idtech, I have some confidence their next game will run well
Rage has and continues to have major texture streaming issues, along with every other game using that engine.

Huh? It sold decently. Pretty sure Bethesda was pleased with the sales.

Neff

Nobody's definition of survival horror matches up outside "IDK, like RE1 I guess?"

RE4 and The Evil Within pretty much are that, minus the fixed camera angles, locked doors and backtracking and stuff.

Pretty big gap I'll admit, but still a more substantial connection than the crop of hiding games which have been (incorrectly imo) blessed with the Survival Horror brand.

KyleCross

Please please PLEASE be better than your last game. That's all I ask of you, Mikami. You made some of the finest games ever made, but boy howdy was TEW... something else.

Top Bottom