• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uma Thurman's performance in Kill Bill (Vol.1 & 2) is second to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
She is up there with greatest characters of all time with her portrayal of Beatrix. To this date, I doubt a female action hero has been done this well, and has been played this well by an actor. You can only admire just how well she does what she does here.

Kill Bill is an incredible piece of film. Whatever you want to say about this film ( I count it as one), you have to accept that, though some of it may not be for you, it is very well put together and it is a very rare piece of work. Where else will you get a high budget Hollywood piece of original work that comprises of the best the east (japanese/chinese cinema) and west has to offer? You get a 10 minute scene of full fledged and legit japanese animation right in the middle of your movie. I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. From then on, the love letter writing to japan continues unrelenting to a bloody and severed limbs filled climax, followed by a serene and awe-inspiring ending credits that is second to none. And all of this in just the first volume.

Honestly, this has to be one of the best out there.

Yep, The Bride is a legendary action film character.

The Kill Bill films were my first QT films, so they'll always hold a special place in my heart.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I really liked Michael Jai White in his cut scene.

hydruxo

Yeah she was great. Though I have to say Lucy Liu out acted her IMO.

giphy.gif

-Plasma Reus-

Yea I also look away at the teeth breaking. Every single damn time.
The narration in this film is outstanding. The accompanying cuts to tell the story and elaborate on her narration are maddeningly well done.
Sigourney Weaver was actually nominated for Best Actress for her role in Aliens.
Oscars have no value to performances like this.

On another note - While I'd really like to see a release of The Whole Bloody Affair at some point, I strongly believe that the decision to split the film into two volumes was a wise choice.

It functions brilliantly as two distinct films, and I think I'll always prefer it as two distinct films.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oscars have no value to performances like this.

Sigourney's performance still outclasses The Bride easily, though. There's intensity to The Bride, but not much depth.

On another note - While I'd really like to see a release of The Whole Bloody Affair at some point, I strongly believe that the decision to split the film into two volumes was a wise choice.

It functions brilliantly as two distinct films, and I think I'll always prefer it as two distinct films.

Have to disagree. The second film never reaches the highs of the first. Merging them into one film makes the flow better and reduces expectations on the second half of the story. I think a lot of the disappointment surrounding Part 2 is that people were expecting it to build to a climax on the level of Part 1. Make it one story and you simply have a complete film with a really awesome action crescendo in the middle.

Love the scene where she claws herself out of her grave. Music is so awesome.

Morricone da GAWD

Have to disagree. The second film never reaches the highs of the first. Merging them into one film makes the flow better and reduces expectations on the second half of the story. I think a lot of the disappointment surrounding Part 2 is that people were expecting it to build to a climax on the level of Part 1. Make it one story and you simply have a complete film with a really awesome action crescendo in the middle.

tumblr_n3y8umeOFz1rey868o1_500.gif

CassSept

It's incredible how they are two pieces of a one whole, but at the same time are so unlike each other. They complement each other so well, with vol. 1's craziness and vol. 2's focus on relationships between individual characters.

Veelk

Banned
I can't get over how anticlimactic the fight with bill was. I realize that was the point, and I still consider it a great movie, but I am so sad we got robbed of what could have been the best sword fight in the movie.

-Plasma Reus-

Uma plays multiple characters as the Bride. There is immense variation to her performance. She doesn't just play one character, she plays many.

M.D

I watched the first one again on TV this week and thought how awesome was her performance in those films

She also looks beautiful

I've never found Vol. 2 the least bit disappointing. Vol. 2 carries the bulk of the narrative load. Vol. 1, by comparison, is very light on story.

1 is a taut action extravaganza. 2 is a deeply personal, story-driven experience. Tonally, the two films are so different that they ultimately work better as separate films.

Plus, the cliffhanger was great.

-Plasma Reus-

Her ferocity is a fucking marvel to behold. I have never felt such rage from a character so viscerally.

Really?

I like the films, but Thurman's performance is my least favorite part. I only notice her head-shaking which for whatever reason she thinks is THE way to deliver dramatic lines. I could've used either more subtlety or more irreverence. She's also not at all convincing in the Crazy 88 fight.

giphy.gif

tumblr_lzx0k8Eu441roz5p1o1_500.gif

Smellycat

I absolutely love Kill Bill! Awesome movie(s), and my first Tarantino movies too

The man also knows how to pick his music

Fury451

Banned
I'm surprised by the responses here; I feel like I was watching a different movie because I always found her performance to be ham and cheese on dry.

Is it supposed to be? Maybe that's what isn't connecting for me if so. I didn't like the movies much either tbh outside of seeing Sonny Chiba, Gordon Liu, Lucy Lu and David Carradine, so that could be it too.

Showaddy

I think the pacing would be way to uneven if it was 1 film though. It's obviously down to personal preference but the slower moments with Budd & Pai Mei were probably my favourite moments from either film.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think the only thing the second film lacked was a fight scene on par with the first. There were tons of good action scenes, but nothing like the Crazy 88 fight.

I didn't mind it though, there were so many good parts to the second film, I'm glad there was never an attempt to one-up the fight scene in the first. And I absolutely love the subdued nature of the confrontation with Bill.

Did you know most of the shots and cinematography were either an homage or copy of older films? I remember when I was obsessed with this movie, I found about two dozen films he paid homage to or copied that he called classics. So good. It's a total mix of a few B level genre films. It kind of reflects his personality in how sporadic it feels.

I think the only thing the second film lacked was a fight scene on par with the first. There were tons of good action scenes, but nothing like the Crazy 88 fight.

I didn't mind it though, there were so many good parts to the second film, I'm glad there was never an attempt to one-up the fight scene in the first. And I absolutely love the subdued nature of the confrontation with Bill.

In the original script which you can still find, that second half had a huge set piece where she battles the twin sister of Go Go and faces Bill on a beach side in a sword battle. He couldn't film them because he used too much time and money. The Weinsten brothers told him to hurry up so he had to cut a few scenes out and alter the Bill fight.

I feel like a Kill Bill historian. If you watched all the movies he based Kill Bill off of, your mind would be blown at how many frames of the film are taken straight from another film.

I can't get over how anticlimactic the fight with bill was. I realize that was the point, and I still consider it a great movie, but I am so sad we got robbed of what could have been the best sword fight in the movie.

It wasn't, original plan was to have an epic beach sword fight but Bob Weinstein wouldn't fork over the dough for it. Stupid decision.

It wasn't, original plan was to have an epic beach sword fight but Bob Weinstein wouldn't fork over the dough for it. Stupid decision.

Yup. He took two full chapters out, completely changed the fight with Elle after he watched the Jackass movie and toned down the Bill chapter because he ran out of time and they didn't want to give him anymore money.

Yup. He took two full chapters out, completely changed the fight with Elle after he watched the Jackass movie and toned down the Bill chapter because he ran out of time and they didn't want to give him anymore money.

Wait what caused him to change the Elle fight due to seeing the Jackass movie? Did they do his idea first or?

Wait what caused him to change the Elle fight due to seeing the Jackass movie? Did they do his idea first or?

I'm sure if you google it you can find it but in the script, it's a straight one hit sword fight after The Bride calls her out. They duel in front Buck's trailer and she pulls her eye out, that's it. He decided that's not as exciting and after watching the Jackass movie, he wanted to make it a dirty, brutal fight.

If you read about Go Go's twin sister's chapter, you'll be even more upset. Not only did he write in an insane tracking shot that follows her into a swimming pool and out for a big chase in the backyards of a suburb (the director of cinematography said it would be an impossible long shot) but the nurse from Pulp Fiction was in it as well to heal the Bride (he wanted to connect it to all of his films).

Kaneda Shotaro, you're killing me. I wish I hadn't known part 2 is missing one or two incredible action sequences (but I think making the fight between Elle and The Bridge dirty was a great decision).

Walpurgis

Banned
We'll never get Kill Bill vol 3.
I will never forgive Tarantino for this.
Move that toe
I didn't understand the purpose of this scene when I was a kid. I just found her mishapen toes to be scary looking. Now that I am older and understand it, I don't know what to say. Although, at least it's not as bad as iCarly. That show is just criminal.
I'm sure if you google it you can find it but in the script, it's a straight one hit sword fight after The Bride calls her out. They duel in front Buck's trailer and she pulls her eye out, that's it. He decided that's not as exciting and after watching the Jackass movie, he wanted to make it a dirty, brutal fight.
That sounds like a good change to me. I really enjoyed the brutality of that fight. It is one of my favourite scenes in the film.
If you read about Go Go's twin sister's chapter, you'll be even more upset. Not only did he write in an insane tracking shot that follows her into a swimming pool and out (the director of cinematography said it would be an impossible long shot) but the nurse from Pulp Fiction was in it as well to heal the Bride (he wanted to connect it to all of his films).
I can't believe this. That Weinstein guy is an idiot. Tarantino HAS to make a third one now and incorporate the sister as Gogo's daughter or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom