• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragonball Z appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember downloading the entire frieza saga (divx) and throwing it on like 20 DVDs. The damn fight was like 50 episodes long. I do believe it was the most memorable saga of DBZ back when I used to watch it. I lost interest after that.

AniHawk

In all seriousness, I watched this show until the middle of Toonami's airings of the Buu saga (the Goten/Trunks fusion guy I think had just been introduced) I liked it better when it wasn't The Super-Saiyan Show, Starring Goku and his friends, and when it had people somewhat on the same level as each other. Even Piccolo was a weak bitch at the end of the show. The Frieza saga was all right, but the show as a whole was completely laughable. Looking back, I love (hate) "five minutes" lasts five episodes with everyone just powering up as Namek slowly explodes. Then Frieza looks around and says "uhh... five MORE minutes!" :lol

My favorite "saga" was the first one with Vegeta, since it wasn't so ridiculously ridiculous. My favorite scene from the series was at the end of the Cell saga. It's the last time everyone joins in on the fight together (to defeat Cell).

I cringe whenever I think about/watch it now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Does anyone remember the Toonami days when they kept restarting the series over and over again? It went on for like 2 years. They showed every episode up until right before Goku became a Super Saiyan for the first time, and then went right back to the pilot again. :lol

bjork

Grizzlyjin said:
Does anyone remember the Toonami days when they kept restarting the series over and over again? It went on for like 2 years. They showed every episode up until right before Goku became a Super Saiyan for the first time, and then went right back to the pilot again. :lol

I think that had to do with Pioneer only releasig the first 53 episodes before Funimation got it, so there was nothing to air. That shit used to royally piss me off, though...

AniHawk

bjork said:
I think that had to do with Pioneer only releasig the first 53 episodes before Funimation got it, so there was nothing to air. That shit used to royally piss me off, though...

I liked the original dubbing a lot more. I remember being so disappointed when I first heard the Funi dub (even though it was censored less).

bjork

AniHawk said:
I liked the original dubbing a lot more. I remember being so disappointed when I first heard the Funi dub (even though it was censored less).

I agree. The original Vegeta sounded more sinister to me, and the Piccolo was more of a brute. I wonder why they didn't get the same actors? Are voice actors under contract to one company?

Beezy

Gohan going SSJ2 on Cell was so ****ing great. I was getting tired of seeing Goku saving the day every single time. The Freiza Saga was the best though.

AniHawk

bjork said:
I agree. The original Vegeta sounded more sinister to me, and the Piccolo was more of a brute. I wonder why they didn't get the same actors? Are voice actors under contract to one company?
The original actors sounded a lot more natural. It sounded like either everyone else was being forced to speed-read their parts, and/or just looked at the character and just guessed what it should sound like.

Funi Bullma was awful. I can still hear her screeching ringing in my ears. :(

Rotanibor

I like the original Dragon Ball more, but Z is still a really fun show.

Although the voice acting in DB seems to be so rushed near the end. Which is a shame, because for like the first half of the series it was absolutely perfect, mostly had the original background music and everything(except when the song had lyrics sung in japanese, then it was cut). Its like they either got their budget cut or were coming up on a deadline. The quality of voice acting just goes down so much.

You'd do yourself a favor to just watch it in subtitles. The acting is much more dramatic and makes the show much more suspenseful.

I like DragonBall more than Z. It's just more inspired. Plus, the fights don't last ten episodes and they don't power up since Super Sayian wasn't even mentioned, IIRC.

bjork

I had a customer once who had everything figured out, how if DBZ characters existed in the real world. Vegeta was a black guy and Piccolo was a mexican and I forget what else, but it was all pretty factual and very funny.

AniHawk

bjork said:
I had a customer once who had everything figured out, how if DBZ characters existed in the real world. Vegeta was a black guy and Piccolo was a mexican and I forget what else, but it was all pretty factual and very funny.

Great story, shakespeare.

Ashodin

I used to watch it too on Toonami before Funi actually made more eps. I was so happy (since I had read spoilers for ahead episodes) to see Goku go Super Saiyan, it was magical to watch.

Just like how magical it was to watch Gohan go SS2. God, I love Gohan so much.

Stephanie Nadolny (Gohan's voice) did such an awesome job with him going SS2, that episode is and will always remain my favorite (plus the episode after where Gohan is totally badass and kills the Cell Jrs. without hesitation or remorse).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVuoaEttYEg&mode=related&search=Gohan SSJ2 English version of the above. 16 has such a great voice.

"AND I WON'T WATCH THIS ANY MORREEEEEEEEEEE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Gohan breaking the ground (loved that part because the animation went to top-notch)... _sigh_

9858601699498100.jpg

Badass at its finest

AniHawk said:
In all seriousness, I watched this show until the middle of Toonami's airings of the Buu saga (the Goten/Trunks fusion guy I think had just been introduced) I liked it better when it wasn't The Super-Saiyan Show, Starring Goku and his friends, and when it had people somewhat on the same level as each other. Even Piccolo was a weak bitch at the end of the show. The Frieza saga was all right, but the show as a whole was completely laughable. Looking back, I love (hate) "five minutes" lasts five episodes with everyone just powering up as Namek slowly explodes. Then Frieza looks around and says "uhh... five MORE minutes!" :lol

My favorite "saga" was the first one with Vegeta, since it wasn't so ridiculously ridiculous. My favorite scene from the series was at the end of the Cell saga. It's the last time everyone joins in on the fight together (to defeat Cell).

I cringe whenever I think about/watch it now.
Yup, the Frieza saga was my personal high-point for the series. A fight that lasts longer than a single season of any other show? Sounds boring, but they ****ing did it! :lol

Grizzlyjin said:
I remember they would pimp "New DBZ Episodes This Fall", then when the time came they would premiere like 3-4 new eps and start all the way back from square one. That really pissed me the **** off :/

AniHawk said:
The original actors sounded a lot more natural. It sounded like either everyone else was being forced to speed-read their parts, and/or just looked at the character and just guessed what it should sound like.

Funi Bullma was awful. I can still hear her screeching ringing in my ears. :(
QFT. The Pioneer dub remains one of my favorite of all time, right up there with Shogun Assassin ;)

Christopher

Did they ever go and redub the old episodes to make them consistant with the new voices...I hate when anime companys totally switch voices.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
How did I know this thread was created by Himuro even before I saw the thread creator beside it..

Christopher said:
Did they ever go and redub the old episodes to make them consistant with the new voices...I hate when anime companys totally switch voices.
Yup, in the new Unrated DVD releases Funimation put the old team out of commision and had their own cast provide a new dub. As it's been mentioned, it's a bit flatter than the original and has a bit less variety and distinction.

:/

Ashodin

Himuro said:
god why can't I find Japanese footage of SSJ2 Gohan kicking ass?!

God Bruce Faulconer makes some killer music. Gohan's piano music with the guitar simply rocks. I get goosebumps.

Christopher

master_shake_05 said:
Yup, in the new Unrated DVD releases Funimation put the old team out of commision and had their own cast provide a new dub. As it's been mentioned, it's a bit flatter than the original and has a bit less variety and distinction.

:/

Well at least their is some sort of consistancy. I don't mind if a dub goes all out in changing it as long as they keep the oringal spirit that the writer was trying to get through. Music changes and all those little things don't matter much...I'm a stickler for consistancy and accuracy though. One thing I can't stand though is Japanese lyrical music in dubs...it just breaks the feeling of what your trying to watch.

/before I get flammed by the anime crew.

bjork

Christopher said:
Well at least their is some sort of consistancy. I don't mind if a dub goes all out in changing it as long as they keep the oringal spirit that the writer was trying to get through. Music changes and all those little things don't matter much...I'm a stickler for consistancy and accuracy though. One thing I can't stand though is Japanese lyrical music in dubs...it just breaks the feeling of what your trying to watch.

I dunno, for DBZ it's kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't.

DBZ subbed = head-cha-la is cool, but some of that other music is goofy as shit

DBZ dubbed = WOW HEY BRO GOKU HERE'S A GUITAR RIFF etc

Subs with no sound ftw

Christopher said:

Eh, you've got a point. But I like many others like many others enoyed the Pioneer voice cast a great deal. More spirit, more characterization, more heart than the Funi team.

Vegeta kinda went from sounding like an evil mother****er to a British dude on some downers :/ And don't even get me started on Piccolo...

AniHawk

master_shake_05 said:
Eh, you've got a point. But I like many others like many others enoyed the Pioneer voice cast a great deal. More spirit, more characterization, more heart than the Funi team.

Vegeta kinda went from sounding like an evil mother****er to a British dude on some downers :/ And don't even get me started on Piccolo...

And then there was Bullma.

I think they had a whole episode of just (funi) Bullma. I stabbed my ears off.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ah, I still can watch some good DBZ (and DB of course).

Goku vs. Vegeta I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ApYIK280A

Super Vegeta vs. Android 19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqQ_siIVeVo

Piccolo vs. Cell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQmAtaUzszo

Piccolo vs. Android #17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJ23IRkCq4

Goku vs. Cell - Cell Games
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzCj3kSK1pI

SSJ2 Gohan vs. Cell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGiDkfXEqQ

Goku vs. Vegeta II - Probably the best fight of the series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vL9Wrq2FoY

Eh, there's more. The funny moments rock as well.

AniHawk said:
And then there was Bullma.

I think they had a whole episode of just (funi) Bullma. I stabbed my ears off.
Bullma is on a whole 'nother level of suck. At her worst, the scenes during the Frieza saga when she encounters Ginyu Frog.

HORRIBLE.

Christopher

master_shake_05 said:

Oh I agree too I remember watching the old ones and the new ones and thinking ...wtf happened to Vegeta espcially...he sounds like he has a cold in the new ones.

Like bjork said it's just a matter of preference but if you ever read what anime fans and how they cruicify dub companys to shreds if they change someone's name from "Kimi-Chan" to Kim it's quite funny. When I first started going on the internet I was a big DBZ dork and I remember the constant bitching of fans.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Vegeta FTW! Sad that he had to keep getting his ass beat though. Majin Vegeta was frickin incredible.

Edit:
maijin20vegeta.jpg.w300h222.jpg

Now days, I wonder how the hell I managed to watch the show. Five damn episodes for Goku to charge a spirit bomb, and two more to throw it.

Christopher said:
Oh I agree too I remember watching the old ones and the new ones and thinking ...wtf happened to Vegeta espcially...he sounds like he has a cold in the new ones.

Like bjork said it's just a matter of preference but if you ever read what anime fans and how they cruicify dub companys to shreds if they change someone's name from "Kimi-Chan" to Kim it's quite funny. When I first started going on the internet I was a big DBZ dork and I remember the constant bitching of fans.
My friend used to write DBZ fanfiction FOR THREE YEARS. In fact, he created a whole new series based on Goku and Gohan tag-teaming old enemies in the "Final Dimension", and introduced a shitload of characters too. I even helped him write a few "episdoes", since I was such a ****ing DBZ freak back then :lol

BTW, what's the 411 on the Unrated DVD releases (Vegeta saga)? Yay or nay?

Christopher

master_shake_05 said:
My friend used to write DBZ fanfiction FOR THREE YEARS. In fact, he created a whole new series based on Goku and Gohan tag-teaming old enemies in the "Final Dimension", and introduced a shitload of characters too. I even helped him write a few "episdoes", since I was such a ****ing DBZ freak back then :lol

:lol it's cool

BTW, what's the 411 on the Unrated DVD releases (Vegeta saga)? Yay or nay?
I wanna check them out just for the sake of checking them out to hear how they came out...so I'm going to say Yaynay for now.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Damn...I remember when drawing DBZ characters made you hot shit. Everyone started off drawing goku.
I started on Vegeta, and made my way towards Goku. I was pretty damn good, and a few years ago I sent a drawing to Shonen Jump. I dunno if it ever got published :/

Beezy

Bulma's voice during the Freiza Saga was the worst. I remember everyone back in junior high school complaining about the new voices. :lol

Oldschoolgamer said:
Damn...I remember when drawing DBZ characters made you hot shit. Everyone started off drawing goku.

So true. :lol

I drew a pic of Gotenks(?) all in pen and shaded it in with pencil. I won 2nd place in an art contest during junior high for that, but what pissed me the **** off was that they threw everyone's pictures away once it was over. I would've dropped a Spirit Bomb on the school if I could. :mad:

AniHawk

Oldschoolgamer said:

Trunks2.jpg

This was done about 6 years ago. My sister did the same picture, but lacked perspective (it looked like Trunks head-on). She's the artist in the family, but I wanted to give it a shot since her original drawing (copy) always bugged me.

Christopher

Oh my god I just remembered this I think it was in 6th or 7th grade there was talk about how DBZ is the greatest and yata yata yata the b/s we talked about as kids and this kids sister who never left us alone was telling us how Sailor Moon would kill DBZ guys in an instant, so her brother took off her Sailor dolls head and threw it across the room and said this is what Goku would do to that bitch. She was only 6-7 and cried so bad I laughed my ass off back then but it was so wrong :lol

DBZ 4 life!!

...hmm actually I believe I got disinterested when the cell fight took FOREVER.

Damn, that Raditz clip just reminds me how awesome Piccolo's original dub was :/

My favorite part from the whole Vegeta saga, the beam cannon ripping through Raditz and
Goku sacrificing himself in order to make it happen. Goku would probably out-do Jesus H. Christ, if JC had any chi powers :lol

EDIT -- Just checked. I've still got a few old VHS tapes and graphic novels from DB/DBZ. Thanks for giving me something to do tomorrow :lol

Beezy

AniHawk said:
Trunks2.jpg

This was done about 6 years ago. My sister did the same picture, but lacked perspective (it looked like Trunks head-on). She's the artist in the family, but I wanted to give it a shot since her original drawing (copy) always bugged me.

You suck, but at least you still have your picture. ;_;

AniHawk

You suck, but at least you still have your picture. ;_;

No shit, here's the original picture.

trunks01.gif

This was back before I knew *how* to draw. So I didn't, for the most part. But it was summer and I was bored.

Beezy

The eyes in your pic are hilarious when compared to the original. You made Trunks look retarded. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom