• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragonball fans - question about newer material

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Hey GAF question. I grew up a big Dragonball Z fan, and later when I was a bit older I made sure to watch every episode of Dragonball and DBZ. I think I prefer regular Dragonball a bit more myself, but DBZ is still classic. I tried watching GT once but it seemed kind of lame, maybe I just didnt give it a chance.

Anyways my son is 6 and is watching DBZ and regular Dragonball now. He seems to like them enough. I dont really care either way but now I know there are more series and stuff which I dont know shit about. Is there anythign good after GT to watch? And is GT actually good?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Hey GAF question. I grew up a big Dragonball Z fan, and later when I was a bit older I made sure to watch every episode of Dragonball and DBZ. I think I prefer regular Dragonball a bit more myself, but DBZ is still classic. I tried watching GT once but it seemed kind of lame, maybe I just didnt give it a chance.

Anyways my son is 6 and is watching DBZ and regular Dragonball now. He seems to like them enough. I dont really care either way but now I know there are more series and stuff which I dont know shit about. Is there anythign good after GT to watch? And is GT actually good?

No. Its not good at all and you can easly ignore it.
Move to super. It's not good either, but it has some interesting ideas, a few nice momments but with lame endings. Its just that the execution is bad(the god evil sayian for instance).

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
GT has some coolish enough transformations and that's it. It's miles worse than Z.

Super is pretty much universal saga. Rest sucks ass, except maybe future saga when goku black pops up for the first time.

Dragon Ball heroes is weird... And badly animated. Never fully watched to be honest.

New movies are kind of bad too except Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which is insanely good.

Last edited:

The_hunter

The Dragonball Super Broly movie is amazing, one of my favourite anime. The animation is insane. It takes place after Dragon Ball Super.

Dragon ball super will probably be enjoyable, but it has lots of filler and low budget animation. Some episodes are good.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This nice thing with introducing most children to the Dragon Ball universe is they typically won't have a bias on it like...us adults. Most children in Mexico watch the entire franchise starting with Dragon Ball and continuing on with Super. In terms of quality, it seems most children and adults enjoy Super more than GT. The overall thing with GT is that it can get tedious or boring at times. Super sorta throws everything all into one. Not great continuity with Super but I can't see them getting bored with it like GT.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
If your kid truly enjoys Dragon Ball introduce him to Dokkan Battle. It's a nice Dragon Ball Collectors game. There's no PVP element on it, so you can play it at your own pace.

Of course do it with the necessary precautions, since it's a gacha game.

Last edited:

JBat

Really like Dragonball Z and I've enjoyed what I've watched of super but got to a great saiyaman episode and can't bring myself to endure the cringe

Also this line is right up there with "over 9000" for me

Fbh

Super is probably the better continuation, and it's also the official canon, plus it should be getting new seasons at some point since the manga has kept going.
But neither Super nor GT are particularly good.

The latest arc on super was so fucking bad.
dragon-ball-super-goku-transformation-1245791.jpeg

lol, what is this shit?

With that said, GT has its moments. It was still a cash grab but at times you could tell people were actually trying to come up with interesting ideas.
I always liked the look and concept of SSJ4:
651062d3ee2c803184d869526a07fd0a0ace76f5r1-1024-888v2_uhq.jpg

In DBS they just get a different hair color every arc.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Early GT with the episodic stuff is good and it has an AMAZING opening.

Wouldn't even bother with Super. Literal zero stakes when people can blow up galaxies and shit now and they're just meeting up for casual BBQs. It's just weird.

If you like the original Dragon Ball, you might enjoy GT a bit more now. It tried melding elements from the original series with Z, and while it isn't as good as either of them, it's still pretty alright. Dragon Ball Super is pretty fun too, and very self-aware. It was basically made for people who grew up with this stuff.

If you do rewatch GT though, please check out the movie A Hero's Legacy afterwards. It's basically the epilogue, and very reminiscent of Stand By Me. It takes place post-GT, in a world without Goku, and the stakes are super low. It's a pretty heartwarming adventure story with Goku's great, great grandchild. Probably the best thing to come out of GT, and probably my favorite Dragon Ball movie.

Last edited:

Labolas

GT is some okay ideas but it isn't that good by no means. If you're liking Z, there are parts of GT that are decent for a Z fan. The concept of SSJ4 was an idea that I liked for example.

Amiga

GT and Heroes aren't cannon, Super is cannon and continues post-Bu.
IMOO Super is the best DBZ since the original Freeza arc. The future arc was one of the darkest and the universal tournament was the most fun arc yet.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
GT isn't canon and is basically trash. Super is basically fan service, but I found it to be super entertaining in its own way even though its no where near as serious as Z was. It provided some good laughs, some good character moments, and some great new characters.

That being said Super produced one of the best Dragonball movies period.

MV5BMjhhMDU5Y2QtMzcyZS00ZGE1LTg3ZjMtMTYyOTM0OTFlYTRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
I actually like GT more in terms of new forms, than super. Super kinda makes no sense. But GT has more cringe moments.

During Z I always wondered if Saiyans losing their tail kept them from peak power... GT answered that. And keeps ss3 more relevant than in super.

Super hands out new forms like candy, and it seldom makes any sense. But it's fun, and the Goku black arc is legit except for the end.

Basically super is better produced, but GT has better concept. Watch both, and the super movies. Esp. broly, which is far better than the other 2 super films.

killatopak

GT>Super

The only thing that got me hyped for Super was the movies.

At least GT art was consistent. Super art and animation range from trash to okay. There are a few moments where they actually had a budget for the animation.

bitbydeath

GT sucks and isn’t cannon, skip straight to Super.

Super has a really exciting 80 person Battle Royale, which is simply Epic!

Classic characters like Tien, Krillin and Roshi even fight in it.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Super is no Z but it’s still good. Just very inconsistent. You’ll have to trot through some garbage to get some good moments but some arcs are really fun still.

I got my son into dragonball when he was around 6 as well and he’s been a fan ever since. He’s 13 and we just went to watch the movie the other day together. Just remember not to take the DB too serious and just embrace the ridiculousness of it.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Thanks for all your replies guys! I will let my son dictate if he wants to watch GT or not. He already asked me about it becuase he got some DB cards and some were GT cards.

Its fun to watch with him. DBZ when Future Trunks comes/Goku tries to get his drivers license/They fight the androids is a lot better than I remember. Freeza fight was crazily long, longer than I remember.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Thanks for all your replies guys! I will let my son dictate if he wants to watch GT or not. He already asked me about it becuase he got some DB cards and some were GT cards.

Its fun to watch with him. DBZ when Future Trunks comes/Goku tries to get his drivers license/They fight the androids is a lot better than I remember. Freeza fight was crazily long, longer than I remember.

The pacing in the Android saga was amazing. Things actually happen every episode! Unfortunately, as much as I like Cell, the pacing slows back way down eventually. You can tell there were some animation budget struggles and intentionally dragging parts of the story out, focusing on repetitive character face reactions and comedic goofs to not have to animate as much.

Batiman

Banned
The pacing in the Android saga was amazing. Things actually happen every episode! Unfortunately, as much as I like Cell, the pacing slows back way down eventually. You can tell there were some animation budget struggles and intentionally dragging parts of the story out, focusing on repetitive character face reactions and comedic goofs to not have to animate as much.
Yeah android saga is easily one of my favourites. Once perfect cell starts the show turns crazy slow. Android saga is underrated IMO.

Saber

Gold Member

They exaggerated alot with the pacing of Frieza saga in the anime in comparison with the manga, but its a really good one.
Cell might be one of best though, it add a few good scenes. Though it still had a few ones, but overall very enjoyable. I aways enjoy sagas where all characters participate, even if their contribution isn't the best. The rost of characters is the best thing about Dragonball series. Its why Super is miles better than GT(tbh I don't even consider GT to be an existing one), Super has the Universe Survival Saga and its pretty enjoyable, even though its implementation on the anime isn't the best.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I actually think the Super manga kind of killed my interest in dragon ball. I think the last bit of interest I have is to learn how to draw the characters and actually make a good fan manga.

Top Bottom