• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile has a fantastic library of games

Edit: I'm on vacation so I didn't have time to add pictures or blurbs here. If you'd like images, info, and even recommendations and impressions, these threads are better to check out

Why IOS Rocks
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676
A list of 200+ recommendations, categorized by genre. I need to add games from the last few months though.

If you'd like more recent recommendations, here's the link to the July 2015 IOS thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073333
Links to all previous monthly threads can be found in third OT post

---

Mobile has come a long way since the App Store launched. And it's only continuing to grow, with devs know using Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5

Here's a look at what's available:

- Warhammer 40k: Deathwatch
- Monument Valley
- Implosion
- Autumn Dynasty
- Sorcery series
- Prune
- Device 6
- The Room series
- Year Walk
- Space Marshals
- Trigonarium
- Wayward Souls
- Out There
- Shadowmatic
- Jet Car Stunts 2
- Hitman GO
- Splice
- Dark Echo
- Card Crawl
- Nub's Adventure
- Hero Embkems
- 868-Hack
- Inferno 2
- rymdkapsel
- Shapist
- Sky Force
- Blek
- A Dark Room/The Ensign
- Touchtone
- Alto's Adventure
- Icebreaker
- A Ride Into The Mountains
- Bug Heroes 2
- Block Fortress
- Ziggurat
- Boson X
- Waking Mars
- Duet
- You Must Build A Boat
- Slayin
- 80 Days
- Badland
- Penumbear
- Incoboto
- Leo's Fortune
- Nihilumbra
- CLARC
- Framed
- Battleheart/Battleheart Legacy
- Plague Inc
- Hoplite

Ports can't be discounted either. When a game like Limbo or Spelunky comes to Vita, it's praised and the indie library due to crossbuy listed as a reason why it's a good handheld.

Same goes for mobile platforms. On iPad, one can be introduced to some of the best classic PC games and modern indie titles. Here's a list of what's out and what's coming

- This War of Mine
- Transistor
- Bastion
- Limbo
- FTL
- SpaceChem
- DoorKickers
- The Banner Saga
- Papers Please
- Brothers
- Prison Architect
- Dungeon of the Endless
- Race The Sun
- KOTOR
- Bioshock
- Space Hulk
- Uplink
- Don't Starve
- Crimsonland
- Eurofloria
- Geometry Wars 3
- World of Goo
- Rex Rocket
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall
- XCOM Enemy Within
- Particle Mace
- Submerged
- The Walking Dead
- The Wolf Among Us
- Her Story
- King of Dragon Pass
- Botanicula
- Broken Age
- Gemini Rue
- The Last Express
- The Longest Journey
- Grim Fandango
- Valiant Hearts
- Machinarium
- Another World
- Fotonica
- Kero Blaster
- Stealth Inc
- VVVVVV
- Incredipede
- Baldur's Gate 1/2
- Icewind Dale
- Frozen Synapse

And that's only a partial list. Some other highlights include Static Sky, a cyberpunk tactical shooter made by the co-founder of Unity, and Eisenhorn, a 40k Inquisitor action game with voice acting from Mark Strong
full05@2x.png

Eisenhorn-Xenos-2.jpg

Jeremy

I still haven't made the transition to mobile gaming yet. I've been playing DBZ: Dokkan Battle but the last game I played before that was QuizUp!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mobile threads don't end well on GAF. We should create a mobile thread bingo:

- touch screens? ick.
- old graphics
- angry birds
- candy crush
- my mom plays angry birds and candy crush
- no controller???
- shallow gameplay
- good luck trying to play ____ on a mobile
- my battery!

Seriously though, I'm with you, OP. Love how you put Deathwatch first :)

sheaaaa

Hey man, you do a great job in the Indie Games and iOS threads. That said, long lists are not gonna get anyone interested. You have to sell the game - why is it different, why is it unique? If I have an hour at most to choose a game and play, why 868-HACK? The sentiment behind this is great (and I love 868-HACK), but you've got to work on the presentation.

antitrop

I've been enjoying Monster Strike, recently. It's kind of like Brave Frontier, except that it has actual gameplay for its battle system, where you slide your monsters around an arena like air-hockey pucks.

How many full-fat original JRPG's are there?

Last time I looked a year ago all you could get was the kemco IAP ridden garbage and the square chaos rings games.

Tizoc

OP add Heroki, Sonic 1 and 2 remasters to that list
Bookmarking this for future use. I do feel like a list of must play mobile games needs to be made, as I really don't want to miss out on any good mobile games.

Tizoc

How many full-fat original JRPG's are there?

Last time I looked a year ago all you could get was the kemco IAP ridden garbage and the square chaos rings games.

While not exactly jRPG there's
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes
Dragon Quest games
FF Tactics
The World ends with you
Steven Universe: Attack the Light

Hey man, you do a great job in the Indie Games and iOS threads. That said, long lists are not gonna get anyone interested. You have to sell the game - why is it different, why is it unique? If I have an hour at most to choose a game and play, why 868-HACK? The sentiment behind this is great (and I love 868-HACK), but you've got to work on the presentation.
Don't have the time to add blurbs unfortunately for everything, but I'm more than welcome to recommend specific stuff

there are certainly innumerable amazing mobile games. but for some reason, i can never take a mobile game seriously and play for more than like 10 minutes. it just doesn't feel like something i want to dedicate my "game playing" time to as more than a time waster.

Yep, also id like to add :
Monster Hunter Unite
both Lost wind games
Goove train 2
Skullduggery
Republique
to the list as awesome mobile games as well.

there are certainly innumerable amazing mobile games. but for some reason, i can never take a mobile game seriously and play for more than like 10 minutes. it just doesn't feel like something i want to dedicate my "game playing" time to as more than a time waster.
There are myriad ones with hours or dozens of hours of gameplay. Not just "time wasters"

Deathwatch alone will last a few dozens hours at least

While not exactly jRPG there's
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes
Dragon Quest games
FF Tactics
The World ends with you
Steven Universe: Attack the Light

Steven Universe: Attack the Light is the only original game you've listed. :/

The main thing that concerns me about the mobile platforms is that that the genres I like tend to get either only ports or be so full of IAP they ruin the game.

I tend to check JRPG's every now and then because it's one of the genres I like that most lends itself to being played on mobile, and yet very few companies put out something half decent. "Mobile has a fantastic library of games" might be a true statement in the main, but certainly not for the kind of games I like.

Shiggy

I absolutely loved playing the Broken Sword games as well as Stealth Bastard on Android. Monument Valley was also a great Amazon freebie.

The main thing that concerns me about the mobile platforms is that that the genres I like tend to get either only ports or be so full of IAP they ruin the game.

I tend to check JRPG's every now and then because it's one of the genres I like that most lends itself to being played on mobile, and yet very few companies put out something half decent. "Mobile has a fantastic library of games" might be a true statement in the main, but certainly not for the kind of games I like.

Huh, I could have sworn M&M was originally a mobile game but NOPE, came out for the DS first.
Still a super awesome game, highly recommended.

TM94

I played Monument Valley for the first time this week and was blown away.

Breathtaking on every level.

Portugeezer

Flick Homerun is as far as it goes for me. I tried getting into mobile games when I got my new phone, but I can't. Heat and usually bad controls are an issue.

SerTapTap

No I know, that's what I'm saying. Time wasters are the only mobile games I actually play and can enjoy.

For me it went from this, to emulated JRPGs (save states, fast forward and no timing issues made them the most playable option), to eventually just checking twitter/gaf/etc instead of trying to play games. My gaming sessions are long and mobile is generally highly uncomfortable or complicated to play in a "standard" way. Need special controllers and mounts or video out, otherwise you're sitting with your phone in your face for an hour. I did it for a while with my first android phone and my first ipad, but just can't keep up with it.

And for me, the worst part is having to look at that store. It's a sea of trash even if there's great pearls floating somewhere in there. I just don't want to deal with it, don't want to be a part of supporting it, even.

Tizoc

Ah my bad, but I see what you mean.

Here you go, a better formatted thread that I've been maintaining since last year.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676

Thanks for the link mate.

Hugstable

Banned
Dragon Quest 3
Dragon Quest 4
Dragon Quest 5
Hearthstone
Love Live!
Shin Megami Tensei
Final Fantasy V

I have alot of good gaming on my mobile phone

To be honest, and I know this might sound dumb, but one of the main things stopping me from mobile gaming is that it makes my phone pretty much unusable.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Unlike some others i don't have prejudices on mobile, there are some games i would like to play.

Ports can't be discounted either. When a game like Limbo or Spelunky comes to Vita, it's praised and the indie library due to crossbuy listed as a reason why it's a good handheld.

Wanting mobile to be loved using vita as an example is not a good idea at all for these reasons:

1)on vita there are some good physical controls, especially the dpad, i'm sure that those games are perfectly playable on mobile but on vita they play better.

...but most of all...

2)because Vita is hated and EVERYTHING on it is discounted just for hating purposes, especially indies and ports.

Cant wait for list wars - mobile edition.

But i aint starting full on mobile gaming till i get a second phone/device. Shit drains your bat fast.

I'm super addicted to DBZ: Dokken Battle right now.

Monument Valley is one amazing game and well worth the price.

There are also some really fun endless runners. I really liked Sonic Dash.

The OT's for mobile games are among the most active over at the community page so it does have its place on GAF.

And I agree that over the past year mobile games have really coming into their own. The problem lies in the fact for every actually good game mentioned in that list, there's 3 f2p garbage out to make quick money (not all f2p are bad), so it really saturates the market.

Huh, I could have sworn M&M was originally a mobile game but NOPE, came out for the DS first.
Still a super awesome game, highly recommended.

Yup, I've got it. In point of fact I have every single game tizzy listed on their original consoles apart from Steven Universe. Therein lies the problem. :/

Ushay

I've always struggled to enjoy mobile games, the controls suck ass as do the graphics most of the time.

I can see the benefit in extra apps that supplement main games like the Fallout app.

The only game I ever got into was Angry birds epic.

Top Bottom