• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Fantasy Football Discussion/Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchamba

Draft season is quickly approaching for us fantasy football enthusiasts so I thought now would be a good time to create a thread where everything from draft strategy, sit/start dilemmas, trade advice, team name puns, keeper advice, daily fantasy games and commissioner woes could be discussed. Everybody from long time veterans to 1st year noobs are welcome!

I have my first of three drafts coming up on the 22nd, fairly certain I'll be going with a 0 rb strategy. How does everybody else prepare for their upcoming drafts? Below is my favorite mock draft tool.

DraftWizard_Laptop_NFL_2015_2.png

http://draftwizard.fantasypros.com/?sport=nfl
I grew tired of waiting for a Yahoo or Espn mock room to open up and then sit there for several minutes for my pick to come up only to have somebody ruin the draft by taking Flacco in the first.
I love the Ravens, Flacco funna throw 100+ tds this year
. Luckily, fantasypros came out with a mock draft tool a few years ago that lets you get through entire mock drafts in minutes. Check them out, it's free for standard snake drafts with custom rosters and number of teams. You can also pay to have more options like keeper inputs and custom draft orders like 3rd round reversal. I don't think they have anything for auction mocks, sorry auction drafters master race.

JSR_Cube

Any recommendations for guides or sites that can get me back up to speed. I mean, I follow the NFL all year round but not as closely as I probably need to. I've got an auction later this month and I need to prep for it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fullbacks are the best defenders to have, they get more bonus points. Wingers and attacking midfielders too. DMs get hardly any points unfortunately.

I won my league last year by drafting a RB in the first and second round, so I'll probably do that again....that said, not crazy about the crop this year. AP could boom or bust, Lynch might have peaked, Charles never lives up to (sky high) expectations, and Forte is getting old. Lacy is a great pick, but I don't trust GB to run the ball enough.

So kicker in round 1?

Ferny

This season is kind of crazy in that you either have to go in on early RBs or not get anyone great. QB depth is awesome this year, WR as well.

bchamba

Any recommendations for guides or sites that can get me back up to speed. I mean, I follow the NFL all year round but not as closely as I probably need to. I've got an auction later this month and I need to prep for it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fantasypros has some free auction rankings

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/auction-values/calculator.php

I won my league last year by drafting a RB in the first and second round, so I'll probably do that again....that said, not crazy about the crop this year. AP could boom or bust, Lynch might have peaked, Charles never lives up to expectations.

So kicker in round 1?

If those options give you some worry then Lacey might be your safest choice. Being the only guy in town in that offense could easily net him 13+ tds.

Edit: didn't see your edit. I don't think it matters if GB doesn't run the ball enough because defenses will never stack the box and GB will usually be up and want to run out the clock. If you're in a PPR Charles might be the better pick.

If those options give you some worry then Lacey might be your safest choice. Being the only guy in town in that offense could easily net him 13+ tds.

Edit: didn't see your edit. I don't think it matters if GB doesn't run the ball enough because defenses will never stack the box and GB will usually be up and want to run out the clock. If you're in a PPR Charles might be the better pick.

I agree, Lacy and Charles are probably the safest RB picks...but then maybe this is a good year to go for great WRs early. Maybe pickup Dez, Brown, or Beckham early while everyone scoops up the top RBs.

Does anyone think Lynch has peaked yet? He always feels like a wildcard to me, but he was absolutely clutch last year.

bchamba

I agree, Lacy and Charles are probably the safest RB picks...but then maybe this is a good year to go for great WRs early. Maybe pickup Dez, Brown, or Beckham early while everyone scoops up the top RBs.

Does anyone think Lynch has peaked yet? He always feels like a wildcard to me, but he was absolutely clutch last year.

Yea I prefer going 0 rb for a while and taking wrs instead since the rb position is so volatile. Do you know what position you're picking in the first round yet?

t-ramp

Are there any free leagues forming on NeoGAF? I saw the MaddenGAF fantasy thread with a secondary free league, but maybe I missed something in my search. I really enjoyed playing with some friends last year, but I don't know if anyone else is interested this season and don't want to miss out.

Yea I prefer going 0 rb for a while and taking wrs instead since the rb position is so volatile. Do you know what position you're picking in the first round yet?

Nope, we do a drawing the day of the draft.

What's your ranking for WRs? Who would you pick in the first round, assuming they're available?

Oh, and I totally forgot about Bell...he's awesome, but he'll be out the first 2 games.

bchamba

Nope, we do a drawing the day of the draft.

What's your ranking for WRs? Who would you pick in the first round, assuming they're available?

PPR or not my order for wrs would be Brown, Dez, Julio, Demaryius, OBJ. The only other non rb I might take is gronk only because that position is a wasteland after him.

In my league we made QB's over powered last year. They were at 10 yards per point and 6 points per TD which is the same as RB's and WR's. This year we changed it to 20 yards per point and 5 points per TD. So they're still strong, but not ridiculous like last year. We also have a 4 point bonus for 40+ yard completions, receptions, and rush. So with all that in mind do you think a top QB is worth taking in the 1st round or should I wait and try to nab a quality QB in the later rounds?

Aside from that I'm tempted to go use the RB/RB strategy as my first two picks. Last year we saw how their were a lot of WR's that could put up points, but not too many reliable RB's. I was thinking about going with RB's and first and try to pick up guys like Jordan Matthews or Andre Johnson in the later rounds believing that they will blow up this year because of the changes to their current situation.

EDIT: BTW this is a 12 man league.

I used the Zero RB strategy to a degree last year in a 14 team league... my first 2 picks?

1st round: Demaryius Thomas
2nd round: Antonio Brown

Needless to say that won't happen this year, we are doing 16 teams. The best thing I can say is have 3 draft plans, one where you're in the first 4-6 picks, one where you're in the middle, and one where you're the bottom 4-6. If I'm doing Zero RB but I have a chance to nab one of the Top 3 RBs do I pass? Have that answer ready beforehand and not when the timer is ticking down.

PPR or not my order for wrs would be Brown, Dez, Julio, Demaryius, OBJ. The only other non rb I might take is gronk only because that position is a wasteland after him.

Speaking of TEs, it'll be interesting to see how high Jimmy Graham is drafted. After Gronk and Graham, though, good fucking luck. Olsen is pretty good...I guess.

I used the Zero RB strategy to a degree last year in a 14 team league... my first 2 picks?

1st round: Demaryius Thomas
2nd round: Antonio Brown

Needless to say that won't happen this year, we are doing 16 teams. The best thing I can say is have 3 draft plans, one where you're in the first 4-6 picks, one where you're in the middle, and one where you're the bottom 4-6. If I'm doing Zero RB but I have a chance to nab one of the Top 3 RBs do I pass? Have that answer ready beforehand and not when the timer is ticking down.

Brown in the 2nd round in a 14 team league. Jesus, you got lucky.

This will be my 3rd year doing Fantasy Football. The first year I went RB heavy to start and it worked out great. Last year in the SiF gaf league I did a mix of RB and WR to start which started great but completely collapsed at the end. This year if I don't get a top 5 or 6 pick I'll probably go WR first and RB second unless Luck or Rodgers is still available.

Speaking of TEs, it'll be interesting to see how high Jimmy Graham is drafted. After Gronk and Graham, though, good fucking luck. Olsen is pretty good...I guess.

I always go TE really late. I get 3-4 RB's, 3-4 WR's and a QB before I get a TE.

If I don't get a Top guy, I'm waiting as late as possible. Saw a stat where the difference between the #2 TE and the number #15TE scoringwise was 10 points... That's nothing. It's Gronk or bust unless I see something in camp that tells me Seattle is suddenly throwing to their TE.
Brown in the 2nd round in a 14 team league. Jesus, you got lucky.
It was last year... lot of guys didn't know about Brown's 5/50 floor.

bchamba

Need to get this thread going.

Should pick up in the next few weeks when people start drafting. I got my first draft on Saturday. Not too psyched about how early it is because of all the injuries that have been occurring but it's a live draft and this is the only day we could get all 12 people together.

bchamba

I am in position 4 for my draft. Due to his point performance last year, I am considering taking Peyton in Rd 1. Thoughts?

I think you'll hear most people advocate not taking a QB early because you only start 1 and if there's 12 people in your league and you're the last one to take a QB you still get a top 12 QB. I like to fill the rb and wr positions first because with a flex there are potentially 36-48 wrs being started and 24-36 rbs being started. At 4, PPR or not I would be looking at Antonio Brown or if you prefer rb the consensus top 4 seem to be Peterson, Charles, Lacey, and Bell.

Peyton with the 4th pick is bad... more balanced offense in Denver this year, Peyton hasn't even been the 3rd QB selected overall in most mocks (Luck, Rodgers, Wilson, Brees picked ahead of Manning)

UberTag

Taking a QB early can be smart... IF you're in a 2-QB league, a 16-team man's league, a 6-point per passing TD league or some other format where scarcity is prevalent.

But I would take all of the players Herpes Reasons mentioned ahead of him (with the possible exception of Brees). I like some other QBs he didn't mention better as well. Main factor is that even if the offensive playcalling wasn't going to be more balanced this year in Denver (and it is), Peyton's numbers will fall off a cliff as it gets colder and he literally only evades the cold in Week 13 (which is often the most meaningless week of the fantasy season).

Are there any free leagues forming on NeoGAF? I saw the MaddenGAF fantasy thread with a secondary free league, but maybe I missed something in my search. I really enjoyed playing with some friends last year, but I don't know if anyone else is interested this season and don't want to miss out.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1091712
GAF Justice League is a free league. Three free leagues, actually. Looking for people to join too, so follow the link if you're interested!

MikeRahl

I've done only one draft so far this year and was pretty happy with it so far

1. (3) Adrian Peterson (Min - RB)
2. (18) Andrew Luck (Ind - QB)
3. (23) LeSean McCoy (Buf - RB)
4. (38) Emmanuel Sanders (Den - WR)
5. (43) DeSean Jackson (Was - WR)
6. (58) Lamar Miller (Mia - RB)
7. (63) Tom Brady (NE - QB)
8. (78) Vincent Jackson (TB - WR)
9. (83) Julius Thomas (Jax - TE)
10. (98) Eric Decker (NYJ - WR)
11. (103) Larry Fitzgerald (Ari - WR)
12. (118) Tre Mason (StL - RB)
13. (123) Stevie Johnson (SD - WR)
14. (138) Carolina (Car - DEF)
15. (143) Phil Dawson (SF - K)

Preseason is awesome though with 4 of my 7 starts currently being listed as 'Out'. I was mad during the draft because I was wanting to take Benjamin at 38 but we went at 37 so... bullet dodged I guess.

Kal_El

Small rules to live by:

Only take a QB in round 2 if it's Rodgers; maybe Luck and Rothlisberger. Even that maybe too early.

Grab RBs early because depth is lacking this year. Grab handcuffs AFTER you have a full team not including kicker. Be weary of RB by committee.

A great WR with a terrible QB is a average WR. Think about the QB before getting that wideout. A #2 WR with a Great QB may post similar numbers as a #1 and you can get him a few rounds later.

Wait for a TE Gronk and Graham are exceptions by rd2-3 at the latest. A M Bennett can be had in the later rounds and he did like 90rec 900yrds etc

Don't be a homer; reaching for players because they're on your team never works out.

Grabbing Dez and Megatron might sound like a great idea in rd 1-2 but when you have Gurley and Gerhart (j/k just making example) as your starting rb it sucks.

Depth is the most important. Your draft lineup will rarely look similar at the end of the year. Keep up to date on the waiver wire and injuries.

Good Luck

spyder_ur

Thanks - didn't know this thread was up yet.

I agree that QB is very very deep, but at the same time in a 6pt PATD league and with the way the league is changing towards more open, passing gameplans, if you don't have an QB that is competitive with the elite you can be at a real disadvantage. A good fantasy QB's TD total for the year is no long 26-30, it's 35 and up. The perks of taking a QB early isn't necessarily how much better they are, but that they are very safe. Elite QBs are very consistent from year to year; how many years have we seen Brees, Brady, Rodgers and Manning in the top 5? How many elite RBs have had that run of consistency? Almost none, Charles I guess. That being said, given that this year I have seen guys like Romo, Stafford and Brady going in the 7-8th or even later, it's a great opportunity.

I feel much the same about WR. After the first 4 or 5 picks, give me guys like Dez, D Thomas, Megatron, etc. over what to me seem like huge questions at RB - guys like McCoy, Murray, Forsett, Anderson, etc. who all have either huge injury concerns, have moved to a new system, are somewhat unproven, or are some combination of those.

I generally like safety at the top of the draft though.

Guys I find myself targeting this year at various points in the draft:

Calvin
Mike Evans
TY
Jeremy Hill
Cooks
P. Manning
Crowell/Duke Johnson
Joique Bell
Allen Robinson
Doug Martin
Danny Woodhead
Ryan Mathews
Tre Mason
Jordan Matthews
Nelson Agholar

John Brown
Sam Bradford
Matthew Stafford
Owen Daniels

I generally play in PPR leagues so this reflects that. Absolute favorites in bold.

SummitAve

Banned
My strategy this year is to grab a top WR and Gronk with my first two picks. The order depends on where you are drafting, but I'm avoiding going RB early.

TE drop off after Gronk is massive, and RB has been too unpredictable outside the few top guys with injuries and committee approaches by the coaches.

Not that I'll get the number 1 pick, but if I did, I still have no idea who to pick...Bell, Peterson, Charles, Lacy or Lynch. I think I'd almost prefer to go last this year.

ACE 1991

Here's my strategy, mostly ripped off from a site (Playing in a standard 12 person league)
Gonna take the highest ranked player at each stage using this ranking: http://www.borischen.co/2015/08/2015-fantasy-football-draft-kit-standard.html

Round 1: If top 6 pick, take an elite RB; if picking 7+, grab Gronk or best WR available
Round 2: If you don’t have an RB yet, take one; If you do, grab best WR available
Round 3: Draft either a second WR or a second RB (depending on the strength of players still available at this point in the draft. If RB is thin, take an RB; if WR is thin, take a WR, unless a player still available is too good to pass up)
Round 4: Draft best available WR or RB depending on what you drafted last round
Round 5: Take an RB or WR unless a very good QB that is too good to pass up is still on the board
Round 6: Take an RB or WR unless a very good QB that is too good to pass up is still on the board (depends on selection made previously)
Round 7: If you have 3 WR and 3 RB, take a TE or QB (best available)
Round 8: TE or QB
Round 9: Draft a QB, RB, WR (depending on need)
Round 10: Draft a QB, RB, WR or TE (depending on need)
Round 11: Draft a QB, RB, WR or TE: (depending on need)
Round 12: Draft a QB, RB, WR or TE: some good value sleeper if possible
Round 13: Draft Stephen Gostkowski; if you can’t, take a fifth RB or WR (whichever you still need to have 5 of) or a backup QB if you don’t have one.
Round 14: Draft a K or D/ST
Round 15: Draft a K or D/ST

spyder_ur

Here's my strategy, mostly ripped off from a site (Playing in a standard 12 person league)
Gonna take the highest ranked player at each stage using this ranking: http://www.borischen.co/2015/08/2015-fantasy-football-draft-kit-standard.html

Round 1: If top 6 pick, take an elite RB; if picking 7+, grab Gronk or best WR available
Round 2: If you don’t have an RB yet, take one; If you do, grab best WR available
Round 3: Draft either a second WR or a second RB (depending on the strength of players still available at this point in the draft. If RB is thin, take an RB; if WR is thin, take a WR, unless a player still available is too good to pass up)
Round 4: Draft best available WR or RB depending on what you drafted last round
Round 5: Take an RB or WR unless a very good QB that is too good to pass up is still on the board
Round 6: Take an RB or WR unless a very good QB that is too good to pass up is still on the board (depends on selection made previously)
Round 7: If you have 3 WR and 3 RB, take a TE or QB (best available)
Round 8: TE or QB
Round 9: Draft a QB, RB, WR (depending on need)
Round 10: Draft a QB, RB, WR or TE (depending on need)
Round 11: Draft a QB, RB, WR or TE: (depending on need)
Round 12: Draft a QB, RB, WR or TE: some good value sleeper if possible
Round 13: Draft Stephen Gostkowski; if you can’t, take a fifth RB or WR (whichever you still need to have 5 of) or a backup QB if you don’t have one.
Round 14: Draft a K or D/ST
Round 15: Draft a K or D/ST

Personally I think this is way too rigid of a draft strategy. It's fine to have an idea where you want to go in the first couple rounds, but after that you have to be way more nimble this and be able to adjust to the flow of your draft, capitalizing on players who are slipping and trying to get ahead of positional runs rather than lagging them.

Oh, and kicker should always be your last pick.

ACE 1991

Personally I think this is way too rigid of a draft strategy. It's fine to have an idea where you want to go in the first couple rounds, but after that you have to be way more nimble this and be able to adjust to the flow of your draft, capitalizing on players who are slipping and trying to get ahead of positional runs rather than lagging them.

Oh, and kicker should always be your last pick.

Ok! This will be first foray into Fantasy, so this is good advice. Should I just look to get the best possible picks at RB, QB and WR after round 1?

I'm in a 16 teamer and I have 3-4 different strategies depending where I actually pick. I kinda hope I'm Top 6 or Bottom 6 in the mold of, "If you're not first, you're last." Makes getting those ignored players easier..

Really liked the way Lacy looked in the preseason game today against the Steelers. I can definitely see him as a #1 pick now.

edit: Oh no - Jordy Nelson might have torn his ACL on that play. Tragic, if true.

UberTag

Really liked the way Lacy looked in the preseason game today against the Steelers. I can definitely see him as a #1 pick now.

edit: Oh no - Jordy Nelson might have torn his ACL on that play. Tragic, if true.
Apparently a dummy Twitter account pretending to be Ian Rapoport from NFL.com circulated that torn ACL info and it fooled a bunch of sites including Rotoworld.
At least that's what my FBG mailing list is telling me.

Could make for some fun shenanigans for anyone drafting this afternoon.

Apparently a dummy Twitter account pretending to Ian Rapoport from NFL.com circulated that torn ACL info and it fooled a bunch of sites including Rotoworld.
At least that's what my FBG mailing list is telling me.

Could make for some fun shenanigans for anyone drafting this afternoon.

News is spreading like wildfire. I really hope it's not true. It's crazy because I've watched the play like 6 times now and Nelson didn't even seem to be in much pain, and he walked normally to the locker room afterwards.

edit: NFL.com is reporting it on their homepage now. Looks bad.

Darkman M

I'm picking 9/10 in my draft, thinking of going Dez & Demaryius back to back, or maybe reaching and taking Calvin instead of one of the two.

LionPride

Banned
Which posistion should I go for first in my draft tomorrow, WR or QB? I'm thinking get 2 great WR or TE and get Ryan Tan as my QB later in the draft

reKon

Banned
I'm in a sleeper yahoo league and I picked up odell and matthews (eagles WR) as free agents last year....

yeah I'm about to slaughter this league again..

My advice is don't draft Jordy Nelson.

This also could potentially hurt Cobb's draft ranking. He's effective in the slot because of Nelson.

Which posistion should I go for first in my draft tomorrow, WR or QB? I'm thinking get 2 great WR or TE and get Ryan Tan as my QB later in the draft

I can't imagine any scenario where you'd grab a QB in the first. There's plenty of depth at that position.

UberTag

News is spreading like wildfire. I really hope it's not true. It's crazy because I've watched the play like 6 times now and Nelson didn't even seem to be in much pain, and he walked normally to the locker room afterwards.

edit: NFL.com is reporting it on their homepage now. Looks bad.
Yeah, it hit Rapoport's legit Twitter account too. Maybe he's got two and was signed in to the other when he reported the news initially.
Clearly this improves Davante Adams' draft stock considerably. I would drop Cobb slightly.
And Janis / Montgomery are now worth fliers... especially in deep leagues. I like Janis the most between the two.

mackaveli

I have a draft in a couple of hours.

What are some decent RB's in the mid rounds?

I plan on going RB - WR - WR - WR i like having top WR's and then having like 3 or 4 RB's and pick the best one for the match up etc., and have RB by committee.

Any sleepers or RB's I should take a chance on that could in a couple of weeks be a stud?

Darkman M

I mean you can get guys Romo, Rivers, or Stafford, really late in drafts. I wouldn't take a QB early unless Arod was sitting there in the third or fourth round.

I have a draft in a couple of hours.

What are some decent RB's in the mid rounds?

I plan on going RB - WR - WR - WR i like having top WR's and then having like 3 or 4 RB's and pick the best one for the match up etc., and have RB by committee.

Any sleepers or RB's I should take a chance on that could in a couple of weeks be a stud?

Decent RBs in the 5th round and up? Eek,,,I dunno, man. Maybe Randle (he won't go that late), Latavius Murray, and Todd Gurley if they're still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom