• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Eyes |OT| A blind girl in search of her fat cat

TAeEYhW.png

Official Site

General Information
Developer: Tiger & Squid
Genre: Adventure
Platform: Xbox One/PC/Mac/Linux
Release: August 4 2015 (Xbox One), August 11 (PC/Mac/Linux), September 8 (PS4)
Price: $14.99
Purchase: Xbox One, Humble Bundle, Steam (Humble Bundle and Steam has a 10% discount for the next week)

About
Beyond Eyes is a modern fairy tale about finding courage and friendship as you carefully guide young Rae on a life changing journey, uncovering an incredible world, step by step. Blinded as a young child, and reluctant to leave the protection of her family home, Rae’s world is once more shattered as Nani, her pet cat, goes missing. Summoning up all the courage she can muster, Rae learns to face her fears and ventures out into the world, to find her best friend.

Reviews
Pure Xbox - 9/10
Everyeye.it - 8 (Italian)
PC Gamer - 75
Shack News - 6
IGN - 5.5
Destructoid - 4

Nice OT. Definitely one of the more pleasant surprises from today. I'll be picking this up in a few hours but I'm looking forward to reading some impressions.

Wozman23

Curious to finally leap into this tonight.

The alpha I played some time ago was pleasantly relaxing and refreshing, and it's come a long way since then.

Getting it this weekend for sure. Bad timing with Rare Replay turning up, but these two and Ori were the reason I got the Xbone for now.

Just to echo the others, didn't know it was out today. Loved what I played of it at a convention, hope it's as good throughout. Hope PC release is soon.

Just finished the game. Only took about an hour and 45 minutes although apparently I missed interacting with some stuff in the world as I missed the achievements for them.

Overall though...it's okay. It's definitely unique and the visuals and music are amazing but aside from that there's not much to it. A majority of the time you're just wandering around with little direction trying to find your way forward and a lot of the time it felt like I was moving at a snail's pace.

Getting all the achievements could probably stretch the game out to 2 1/2 hours or so but I doubt anything beyond that. Hard to recommend at $15 but on a sale at some point in the future I'd say it's a game worth experiencing.

Vert boil

Small warning. It only saves when you finish an area, no checkpoints.

Took a few hours to finish it. It's okay for an experience. Visually it's stunning and it does some interesting things with the subject matter.

Just finished the game. Only took about an hour and 45 minutes although apparently I missed interacting with some stuff in the world as I missed the achievements for them.

Overall though...it's okay. It's definitely unique and the visuals and music are amazing but aside from that there's not much to it. A majority of the time you're just wandering around with little direction trying to find your way forward and a lot of the time it felt like I was moving at a snail's pace.

Getting all the achievements could probably stretch the game out to 2 1/2 hours or so but I doubt anything beyond that. Hard to recommend at $15 but on a sale at some point in the future I'd say it's a game worth experiencing.

So it's a bit like a third person walking simulator with a twist? Or does it have any solid puzzles or anything like that?

So it's a bit like a third person walking simulator with a twist? Or does it have any solid puzzles or anything like that?

No real puzzles. Just some basic exploration to finish small objectives. I just finished it last night, and if you're curious, go for it. I wouldn't say it's worth $14.99, though. Might be best to wait for a sale.

As Bear Cub said, there aren't really any puzzles or anything.

Most of the gameplay consists of walking/wandering around to uncover the terrain and find your way forward. There are some things to interact with on the way and some obstacles here and there that you have to find your way around but nothing really all that complex.

On my initial playthrough there were a few times I got a little lost or it took me a few extra minutes to find the right way to progress but outside of that there isn't anything that's going to feel challenging. The areas, for the most part, are reasonably open. You're not walking down a narrow path the entire game but progression is usually based off of finding a specific passageway to go through so it will funnel you from one area to the next in that regard.

Beyond Eyes |OT| - Daredevil hunts for pussy at molasses speed

If I have to give more than one piece of
bread to seagulls
I'm out. No way I'm walking all the way back for more. And where is my damn run button? Beyond frustrated with this game.

golem

I thought the ending was a bit abrupt but enjoyed it overall. They really need to up the walk speed though- it would have been a good idea for areas already explored

Short but sweet. I think if it had been longer it would have outstayed its welcome.

Not really worth it unless you enjoy unique games, which I generally do.

Wozman23

Finished it last night and enjoyed it for what it is.

It's essentially a walking simulator with a few limited interactions.

The watercolor aesthetic is beautiful. It also does a few cool things with interpretation of sound. It toys with perception and throws you a few curve balls. I really wish there were more of the ominous elements.

I feel like the earlier build I played was a bit more intimate with letting you feel as if you were blazing your own artistic pathway, but the released version casts a wider swath that lets you witness more of the beautiful art. Somewhere in the middle there's a sweet spot worth exploring more.

I also feel like the game could have done a better job of letting you see the path you've created, as if to say, "Look at the unique work of art you've created." I feel as if there were points in The Unfinished Swan that did a much better job of that. With the camera behind you, the path you carved really wasn't in the field of view. But shifting the camera to look behind you could make you miss details in front of you. It's almost as if you needed to be looking both ways at once, or the camera needed to be panned out more.

The pacing is slow, with no ability to move any faster than a slow walk, which will anger some I'm sure. But it's a really mellow, relaxing experience - the antithesis to the majority of gaming.

Holy Smokes! That was a sad/depressing game...and not sad in the, "that got me in the feels" way. Sad like in a ton of bricks life sux sort of way.

The watercolor look is awesome and the way the world just blooms around the character is awesome.

The length felt right to me. I think if it were any longer people would be complaining that it was too long, mostly due to the pacing of the game itself. The character walk speed is frustratingly slow at times and discourages exploration.

IGN Review

I agree with a lot of what they said although I think the final score might be a little bit harsh. Pretty much everything positive and negative that was mentioned in the review is akin to my experience as well.

I was really disappointed with it. I got stuck on so many god damn walls and figuratively seeing snails run past you was frustrating especially when lost or backtracking. When i saw a piece of ground being uncovered I always thought "cool I can go there" and 9/10 times a wall would appear on the ground I could already see and my character would stop dead in her tracks even though she didnt even touch the wall yet. Fuuuuuck!

2/5

Just finished it and honestly had a really great time with it, especially coming off the back of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture earlier today. Not much in the way of gameplay, no, but it was a beautifully told story that felt like a real breath of fresh air. More of this sort of thing please.

wouwie

It's releasing on PSN this week, according to a Playstation blog post. Judging by the reviews, i'm going to wait until a sale.

This is on sale on UK PSN at the moment, for £7 instead of the usual £10. I still like the look of it and I do enjoy pretentious artsy stuff, but I won't be picking this up just now as I have too much in my backlog.

That was a really bittersweet adventure. For every happy moment, there is a dangerous one. Was not expecting it to go as dark as it did. Really liked it. Should recommend it to some cat lovers.

CVOwHxRWwAAIlU3.jpg
CVOwHJLXIAAka2z.jpg

CVOwHdQWUAAgQFZ.jpg
CVOwHX6XIAI0Vyi.jpg

Top Bottom