• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: The Taken King We Are Guardians Trailer

taken king seems like:
2344605-Illidan.jpg

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED! lelelelellelelellelelelelle

sith23

Neo Member
Really hoping Bungie turns people's view of the game around with The Taken King.
Lots of cool stuff in there.

Kalentan

Fine Bungie. You know, I already loved your game despite it's issues. But I'm in for this one as well. Looks too good...

But really Bungie? Why did you do it? Why did you release it the 3rd week of college? xD Couldn't release it just before summers end?

Well, won't let my studies be hampered, but I will spend most of my free time in Destiny. ;)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They really are putting a lot into this expansion.

I like the focus on weapon manufacturers. Adds a bit to the world.

Pretty hyped at this point, which I didn't honk was possible.

Hyped for this, just hope it lives up to expectations somewhat.

Lately been focusing on the Crucible stuff since PvE took a dive with PoE and my weekly raid group disbanded long ago after TBD launched. Would be great to have another PvE experience like VoG.

funkypie

Banned
not played destiny in a month and at the TTK price point, I don't think I can be bothered becoming legend (again).

Kup

Haven't played for a while as I've been catching up with other things. But I'm ready for this. TAKE ME.

Virdix

Was disappointed until I got halfway through, man looks like Bungie is making this the game it was supposed to be(I Hope).

I'll eat crow, said I was done with Destiny and wouldnt buy TTK

The shot of Crow (Queen's brother) got me inexplicably excited about the possibility of them actually doing something with the events and characters of the base game. It'll probably be nothing though.

Was disappointed until I got halfway through, man looks like Bungie is making this the game it was supposed to be(I Hope).
From what? Do you think you're going to be controlling a ship in those space battles? If you felt burned over Destiny 1 and the two expansions, I can't fathom what you saw in this trailer that suddenly made you think this will rectify the issues you had.

They actually used a segment in that trailer to show the cool stuff you had already done.

Which in the trailer looked far more awesome than i remember it being in game

So I highly distrust the footage of the new stuff as I imagine the same trailer hype applies there too

Bungie seems to be putting in a lot of work to turn the game around but a lot of the new info sounds a bit off putting in itself. I don't want my year 1 weapons to be useless and restart the grind again - I just want that sweet gunplay

Not sure the taken king is for me :(

They actually used a segment in that trailer to show the cool stuff you had already done.

Which in the trailer looked far more awesome than i remember it being in game
It makes me laugh that they keep using that epic shot of the guardian running up to Crota with a sword and swinging right as Crota swings.

That guardian is dead.

The shot of Crow (Queen's brother) got me inexplicably excited about the possibility of them actually doing something with the events and characters of the base game. It'll probably be nothing though.

It's an intersting place Bungie is in terms of all that. If they want to tell an actual story, they will end up designing missions that don't do well in terms of repeat playthroughs, because they will be too cutscene, dialogue and script heavy.

But if they go for replayable content, they need to do the most light and basic storytelling and cut it down as much as possible, as they did with Destiny 1.

It's an interesting place, caught between building this massive universe with foundation to tell some cool stories, but a gameplay system that doesn't work well with a story heavy structure.

It's an intersting place Bungie is in terms of all that. If they want to tell an actual story, they will end up designing missions that don't do well in terms of repeat playthroughs, because they will be too cutscene, dialogue and script heavy.

But if they go for replayable content, they need to do the most light and basic storytelling and cut it down as much as possible, as they did with Destiny 1.

It's an interesting place, caught between building this massive universe with foundation to tell some cool stories, but a gameplay system that doesn't work well with a story heavy structure.
If only they could implement a way that we could... I don't even know what word to use for this.............. "skip" the cutscenes? I don't think I'm making sense here, sorry.

kiri

Already asked in another thread, but thought I should double check here because I'm still confused.

Used to live in Japan, now in the UK.
In Japan, I bought Destiny (physical) and DLC 1 (registered to JPN PSN when setting up Lvl 28 character) so which is better......

1) Buy DLC2 and Taken King from JPN PSN Store
or
2) Sell Destiny disc & buy UK copy of Taken King Legendary Edition and install on my JPN ID [if this is even possible?!]

On a side note, if I could figure all of this out AND still get the SUROS stuff then I'd be a happy man - any advice welcome!

Hahaha, more than half the footage is from the games that've already been released. Gotta love Destiny.

They have ten ton brass balls for basically saying, "No, we aren't going to explain anything about your characters. Like who the emo guys are or WTF the robots are. You don't care, just keep shooting aliens".

I might buy it, but not if it's just more of the same. I am not going to get excited about a new gun that's effectively identical to the old ones, but with bigger numbers to match the bigger HP pool of the enemies.

I give no fucks that Heckler & Koch iiiiiin SPAAAACE have a premium range of combat tested products that are totally better than those cheap SPAAAACE-kalashnikovs. That is not the type of universe-building lore that makes me care about the game world. We know more about the history of the gun manufacturers than we do about any of the characters or races.

ocean

Banned
Already asked in another thread, but thought I should double check here because I'm still confused.

Used to live in Japan, now in the UK.
In Japan, I bought Destiny (physical) and DLC 1 (registered to JPN PSN when setting up Lvl 28 character) so which is better......

1) Buy DLC2 and Taken King from JPN PSN Store
or
2) Sell Destiny disc & buy UK copy of Taken King Legendary Edition and install on my JPN ID [if this is even possible?!]

On a side note, if I could figure all of this out AND still get the SUROS stuff then I'd be a happy man - any advice welcome!
House of Wolves standalone is US$20, TTK is US$40. For the same US$60 you could get the Legendary Edition which includes everything.

What you have to check are the currency differences. Activision has rather controversially opted for some truly punishing conversion schemes. I don't have access to the JP or UK stores so first check what the pricing is like on these options.

Whichever you end up getting, all your old player progression will be tied to your original PSN login.

Fliesen

So, is a person who doesn't have a group of friends to raid with still in as big of a disadvantage in TTK or are they finally leveling the playing field a bit more?

i'd love to get back into Destiny, for the Crucible alone. :/

If only they could implement a way that we could... I don't even know what word to use for this.............. "skip" the cutscenes? I don't think I'm making sense here, sorry.

Cutscenes can be skipable, sure. But they can't make you skip ingame scripted moments that need to play out or have a character present in the game world that just walks around and talks at you.

Bungie can do what do now, cutscenes and the start and end, make them skipable and it would be okay. But it would still just be a game designed around levels that are made to be played endlessly and not a well scripted and designed singleplayer level that tells a story insidethe level and not outside of it.

Tovarisc

So, is a person who doesn't have a group of friends to raid with still in as big of a disadvantage in TTK or are they finally leveling the playing field a bit more?

i'd love to get back into Destiny, for the Crucible alone. :/

Afaik GAF communtiy for game is still strong and welcoming people, I did some raiding etc. with fellow GAF members during "vanilla" and it was great stuff. Have a look in Destiny OT, I'm surprised if you don't find raiding mates; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088658

----

Trailer got me excited for TTK, game may get actual and epic storytelling? :O

Keasar

So there is a story this time or?

I played the Destiny trial and while I liked the gunplay, enemies, combat overall, I just found the lack of a story and context to be sad. I wanted things to be told about the world I was in, all the environments were fantastic and I just kept wishing there would be an audiotape or something somewhere to just give the stuff a history.

Not to mention that the story in the trial was "Here is Ghost. Go to city. Here is dude with Mask. Darkness is coming. Stop it." "Sure."

I wanted to hear more about the world, the pre-fall Earth, the alien races that have invaded earth, who the machines players can be are. So much could be told but the game said jack shit, gave me a gun and told me to just shoot stuff. :(

Klyka

Banned

I played the Destiny trial and while I liked the gunplay, enemies, combat overall, I just found the lack of a story and context to be sad. I wanted things to be told about the world I was in, all the environments were fantastic and I just kept wishing there would be an audiotape or something somewhere to just give the stuff a history.

Not to mention that the story in the trial was "Here is Ghost. Go to city. Here is dude with Mask. Darkness is coming. Stop it." "Sure."

I wanted to hear more about the world, the pre-fall Earth, the alien races that have invaded earth, who the machines players can be are. So much could be told but the game said jack shit, gave me a gun and told me to just shoot stuff. :(

All that info is in the grimoire cards you unlock and can read on Bungie.net.

Queue the "It should be INSIDE THE GAME" comments in 3...2....1....

Keasar

Oh. So that what those were? I thought they were Achievements or something that you collected, I couldn't find anything in the game relevant to them so I just assumed that.

Skele7on

Banned
This game, THIS FUCKING GAME MAN.

It's actually starting to shape up to be what they originally were inspired to create.

Carn82

Looks like that they will be, in some form or another. Ghost will be able to 'scan' things and share some exposition. If this will mean that it will make the actual grimoire cards available in the game isnt clear yet.

Oh. So that what those were? I thought they were Achievements or something that you collected, I couldn't find anything in the game relevant to them so I just assumed that.

It's worth checking them out, the lore itself is pretty decent and well written. Which makes the 'lack of storycontent' in the game even more painful ;(

Keasar

It's worth checking them out, the lore itself is pretty decent and well written. Which makes the 'lack of storycontent' in the game even more painful ;(

I will, but sadly I'm gonna tread old ground like Klyka said and say:

That shit should have been in the game. :p
How can you fail to design a simple lexicon or something in the game to read a bunch of text blurbs?

Virdix

From what? Do you think you're going to be controlling a ship in those space battles? If you felt burned over Destiny 1 and the two expansions, I can't fathom what you saw in this trailer that suddenly made you think this will rectify the issues you had.

Woah, calm down. I stopped playing after farming Hardmode Crota and being bored. Wasnt sure I wanted to drop 40$ on the next Xpac. Came back last week and had a blast doing flawless trials and 35 PoE, at the end of the day its about playing with my friends.

I wouldn't ask for you to fathom what issues it resolved as you dont know what issues I had with the game.

If they really wanted to, they could probably do it and make it possible for the player to skip it. I just have a hard time seeing how they could do it in a always online thing, where three players are connected at the same time.

But sure, they could make a "You're entering a scripted sequence, press this button to skip it".

kiguel182

Aside from the Grimoire cards apparently this expansion will also add some scanning mechanic where your bot will tell you things about the lore and stories about the world around you.

Keasar

Aside from the Grimoire cards apparently this expansion will also add some scanning mechanic where your bot will tell you things about the lore and stories about the world around you.

In just the new content or the old as well? Cause that would be really nice.

Top Bottom