• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CGI animated films from the past 15 years that everyone already forgot about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Animated movies have been on an upswing the past few years with excellent entries from Disney, Pixar, and maybe some other guys. Since CGI more or less replaced 2D films for many studios, there have been a lot of animated features. Some are modern day classics that have been beloved for years, while others completely fell off the radar. Let's talk about those films now.

I nominate ROBOTS
Robots2005Poster.jpg

Does anyone even remember this? It's about robots. Apparently it made a ton of cash though, $260 million off of $75 million. Makes you wonder why there wasn't a Robots 2.

Rapstah

I watched Robots and didn't even remember it until now. What about those "animals do stuff animals don't normally do on a farm" films that were released all at the same time in like 2006?

ionitron

Animated movies have been on an upswing the past few years with excellent entries from Disney, Pixar, and maybe some other guys. Since CGI more or less replaced 2D films for many studios, there have been a lot of animated features. Some are modern day classics that have been beloved for years, while others completely fell off the radar. Let's talk about those films now.

I nominate ROBOTS
Robots2005Poster.jpg

Does anyone even remember this? It's about robots. Apparently it made a ton of cash though, $260 million off of $75 million. Makes you wonder why there wasn't a Robots 2.

I love this movie. I've seen it so many times, but I don't know if it'll hold for me if I watch it now. I do remember it fairly well though.

Doogal.
Motherfucking Doogal.

But comon', that's not really worth remembering.

Yesterday I was watching The Road to El Dorado on Netflix and then I did some early 2000 movie hunting, and I was so shocked when I remembered that this movie

51XZd3GS0DL.jpg

is in the Disney animated canon.

Dicer

Banned
Animated movies have been on an upswing the past few years with excellent entries from Disney, Pixar, and maybe some other guys.

Sorry that made me lol....

Anyway, on topic.

Shark Tale
Hoodwinked
And Mega motherfucking Mind, which was fantastic...

Tuck

I remember Robots. I remember liking it well enough, though I couldn't tell you what it was about now - I forget.

tcrunch

Legend of the Guardians, not to be confused with Rise of the Guardians (which everyone also forgot).

rqvEwqv.gif
JuxkDE2.gif

CxemwoP.gif
TMuDERX.gif

Why yes, it was directed by Zack Snyder.

Rlan

I remember being excited for robots -- i really likedthe style, and robin williams, but was disappointed once i saw it. Kind if boring and too many dumb jokes for me.

Edit: I nominate Flushed Away. CG film made to look stop motion, Aardman style. Enjoyed the villian and the French Frogs.

That movie sucked and the faces were cringe-worthy. No wonder it was forgotten so quickly, fell right into the uncanny valley.

I mean look at some of this shit:

Would you stare at that for two hours?
It looks like they made a movie marketed towards kids and made every character out of pure nightmare fuel, no wonder why it tanked.
escape-from-planet-earth01.jpg

I'm adding this movie to the fail list.

jett

D-Member
SpMwTTU.jpg

I kinda like Zemeckis's Beowulf. It was refreshing to see a high budget CGI movie that wasn't kiddie fare. Been eight years since and nobody has tried to do that again since, lol. I guess Avatar is as close as it got. :p

samn

That's really not very much. The studio gets ~50% of the box office back, so $130m, and marketing costs were likely $50m ish. At which point any profit would have to come from DVD sales and TV showings.

womp

Over the Hedge.

And over the Hedge:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f7/Over_the_Hedge_Poster.jpg

Look at that cast you would have thought it would be huge. One movie with Bruce Willis,Gary Shandling, Steve Carrell, Wanda Cykes, andNick Nolte? Crazy.

No way, we watch this a couple times a year and my eight year old loves it. If anything it is one of the best CGI films I've seen outside certain Pixar ones. Rest of this thread is pretty spot on though.

But CGI speaking? Over the Hedge is a lot of fun and I've always enjoyed it. Hammy 'freezing' time by going so fast at the end of the movie was totally ripped off in X-Men Days of Future Past too. :p

kewlmyc

SpMwTTU.jpg

I kinda like Zemeckis's Beowulf. It was refreshing to see a high budget CGI movie that wasn't kiddie fare. Been eight years since and nobody has tried to do that again since, lol. I guess Avatar is as close as it got. :p

I really like this movie too. Too a girl on a date to see it, which wasn't the brightest idea.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It doesn't feel like The Book of Life made much of a splash, which is unfortunate. One of my favorites.

But yeah there's a looooot of stuff that seems to have fallen off; Gnomeo and Juliet, Valiant, The Ant Bully, Barnyard, Monster House, Astro Boy, Surfs Up, The Wild... The Clone Wars movie seems to be forgotten even though the series was really successful.

Holiday movies tend to kind of get lost in the shuffle too, due to the fact that retailers only stock them during the appropriate season. Hop, Disney's CGI Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey, Arthur Christmas, The Polar Express, etc. And not a movie, but Disney's Prep and Landing was a really solid effort.

Allforce

I can dig Beowulf too for that reason, that scene in the giant hall is crazy.

Those Guardians movies are forgettable but still top-tier blu-rays for image quality. I think both of them are STILL Top 10 on AVSforums ever-evolving list of best looking releases.

Jebusman

Banned
escape-from-planet-earth01.jpg

I'm adding this movie to the fail list.

This one hurts not because the movie is bad (it's not, its just not very good), but because of the studio behind it. Rainmaker Entertainment, the ReBoot/Beast Wars company.

Also note they're doing the Ratchet&Clank and Sly Cooper films.

This thread already looks like that big dump bin in the aisle of every WalMart that is chock full of shitty blu-rays that nobody wants to buy. 2 for $7, and nobody's buying.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Everyone forgot about the Puss in Boots movie, which was far better than the last two Shrek movies.
It was much better than all of the Shrek movies, I feel. Why yes, I am that one person who thinks that the first two movies have not aged well at all. The general plots are decent, but all the pop culture references and swipes against Disney just feel out of place these days.

Also, Doogal? Wasn't that The Magic Roundabout movie re-edited for the US?

This one hurts not because the movie is bad (it's not, its just not very good), but because of the studio behind it. Rainmaker Entertainment, the ReBoot/Beast Wars company.

Also note they're doing the Ratchet&Clank and Sly Cooper films.
Ouch, that does hurt, I loved Beast Wars, I hope they get some success from the Sly and Ratchet movies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Pretty much the entirety of Disney's output from the early 2000s
Aside from Lilo and Stitch everything was pretty forgettable and ranged from okay (Treasure Planet) to horrible (Home on the Range)

Those ain't CGI tho

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Pretty much the entirety of Disney's output from the early 2000s
Aside from Lilo and Stitch everything was pretty forgettable and ranged from okay (Treasure Planet) to horrible (Home on the Range)
CGI.

Not that the general sentiment doesn't still apply. Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt haven't had much staying power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom