• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Review Thread

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This is a clear example that film critics today are useless.

The movie is one of the best adaptations I've seen and has many references from Gamecube to Nintendo 64, in fact from its entire universe.

This is the movie I always dreamed of before the Nintendo 64 came out and never got it until now, and we are lucky that we survived the Covid-19 pandemic to see it.

I give it a 9.5 rating.

Heimdall_Xtreme

he notes the thread bare plot but realises who the audience is and still gives it a nice score.

what is wrong with that?

Such a mediocre video and such an irritating commentator, I don't agree with him... the movie is very good... the only difference between him and me... is that he doesn't know about videogames and he's noisy... I'm a lifelong gamer and intelligent.

For this reason, apart from giving the video a dislike, I give the movie a 9.5

poodaddy

I'm a lifelong gamer and intelligent.
Neil Degrasse Tyson Hello GIF

Bond007

It’s from the same studio that did Despicable Me, right? I liked all three of those movies more than this one. Not Minions though, those movies are garbage.

Kiddos loved the Mario movie. I thought it was just ok. Idk why people complain about the story. Also, I saw it in 3D, the 3D was super weak. I guess they don’t really make scenes designed for 3D like they used to back when that fad was going on.

Yea i would avoid 3D unless it was filmed in that manner (Avatar).
Since Avatar 2 they have been trying to slap it on everything again for a quick buck.

Bragr

Banned
It's doing great numbers. It opened at 66 million, and that is only the first day.

It's a little better than the Sonic 2 movie, which opened at 58 million in its first weekend.

However, the weak reviews of Mario might mean that Sonic's total gross of around 400 million might still stand as the top game-movie adaptation after this is done.

"The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ saw big opening day numbers in box offices around the world, collecting $31.7 million domestically and $34.7 million internationally, bringing its total day-one earnings to $66.4 million."

"With the numbers on opening day, it’s expected that ‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ will earn its projected earning of $92 million over the weekend, and $141 million in the first five days of its release."

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
It's doing great numbers. It opened at 66 million, and that is only the first day.

It's a little better than the Sonic 2 movie, which opened at 58 million in its first weekend.

However, the weak reviews of Mario might mean that Sonic's total gross of around 400 million might still stand as the top game-movie adaptation after this is done.

"The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ saw big opening day numbers in box offices around the world, collecting $31.7 million domestically and $34.7 million internationally, bringing its total day-one earnings to $66.4 million."

"With the numbers on opening day, it’s expected that ‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ will earn its projected earning of $92 million over the weekend, and $141 million in the first five days of its release."

This projection doesn't seem right, does it? It did 66 million on a wednesday, but over a 5 day period, including the weekend, which is when most people have time for stuff like movies, it is projected to do only 141?

Edit: Oh, maybe this number only refers to the US? If that's the case then yeah, that makes sense.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Yea i would avoid 3D unless it was filmed in that manner (Avatar).
Since Avatar 2 they have been trying to slap it on everything again for a quick buck.
Since this movie is CG, it shouldn't really matter from a stereoscopy perspective since it wasn't "filmed", so mathematically perfect reprojection is "free". But, admittedly, there are still good and bad decisions from the viewpoint of the enjoyability of the 3d.

Last edited:

Bond007

Since this movie is CG, it shouldn't really matter from a stereoscopy perspective since it wasn't "filmed", so mathematically perfect reprojection is "free". But, admittedly, there are still good and bad decisions from the viewpoint of the enjoyability of the 3d.

Good point. But in this case i would imagine it was a last minute addition rather than going for the implementation from the start or scenes revolving around showing off the tech.

Watched it last night, great film, exceeded my expectations after the mainstream critics’ reviews.

Near-perfect for a Mario film, even explained the accent.

Listen to Alex Jones people, forget these mainstream crickets!

Trilobit

Is this movie colorful and gorgeous enough visually to be the only reason to see it? It's been a long winter and I'd like to smear some sugar over my eyes, so I don't care about the story(or lack thereof).

Is this movie colorful and gorgeous enough visually to be the only reason to see it? It's been a long winter and I'd like to smear some sugar over my eyes, so I don't care about the story(or lack thereof).
It's sort of like a comic book film or one of those 80s action flick like Cobra or Commando. Just turn off your brain and enjoy the action.

BlackTron

Got to see it today. I especially liked the role of power-ups and platforming challenges, it felt like a truly authentic Mario movie.

trikster40

Just got back from watching it with the fam, it was awesome. Lots of humor, Easter eggs for us old folks, and overall, they just handled it nearly perfect. Can’t wait to watch it again with the kids.

Halcyon

Movie was fantastic. My daughter loved it. Great Mario movie. Critics are wrong. We had a packed theater and everyone was happy and giddy coming out to the lobby.

Salmon

I'm a liberal and didn't see anything wrong with the movie... in fact, it was a kids movie that had no political content at all. It's pathetic when people on both sides try to dictate what everyone else watches or plays.
It's not the movie in general, it's about the "critics". They hate Pratt and that's about it.

Eotheod

Saw it last night, was a great film for its simplicity. Tons of Easter eggs, and I thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack mixing newer styles with the old school game tracks. Especially liked the inclusion of Mario Kart 8 mechanics into the movie.

I feel like children's movies with video game connections always have bad reviews because adults are expecting their childhood nostalgia to be exact and anything different is bad. It definitely hit the nostalgia train though, felt like a kid again seeing the NES connections and even GameCube ringtone. Animation was brilliant too, crazy to think how far we have come from older films in the 2000's.

Last edited:

belmarduk

It's not the movie in general, it's about the "critics". They hate Pratt and that's about it.

He wasn't all that great in Mario and not the best actor in general, maybe some people feel he's overexposed.
Personally, I wanted Charles Martinet to voice Mario like he does in the games but I was glad he got a role in the movie at least.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
There was also no forced diversity in the cast of characters, which they hate.
A story about brotherhood and importance of family, which they hate.
The princess needed help, which they hate.

Sgt.Asher

I saw it last night, it was ok. Fun movie, nothing spectacular. I think it was the "Illumination" feel that brings it down.

- Easter egg: the movie
- good art direction
- Crap voice casting
- Animation was average. Thought some of the shots had way too much squash and stretch too.
- Terrible story and script
- Pacing felt super rushed
- So many odd story elements and just weird decisions
- poor character development
- Could have done without half the crap they added in and used that time to flesh out the rest.
- terrible humor
- BORING

Gru and the minions movies feel miles better than this. This movie felt like it had a C+ level team assigned at all steps of the way.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I thought it was just ok. The animation is top tier and the voice acting was good but none of the jokes landed for me. I wasnt expecting a plot from a Mario movie (like the game) but it just felt like a bunch of scenes and not an actual movie, like playing cutscenes from a game and not showing the gameplay in between. Solid 2.5/5
Exactly what I thought when watching the trailer. It sure is pretty though.

Marvel14

Banned
Professional critics like to smell their own farts. I don't know why anyone listens to them.
Critiques focus on artistic merit not entertainment value. The Greatest Showman had awful reviews and stayed in cinemas for months.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Critiques focus on artistic merit not entertainment value. The Greatest Showman had awful reviews and stayed in cinemas for months.
Like I said, they like to sniff their own farts. These cinematic sommeliers tend to forget why most people go to the movies, and it's not for artistic merit. It's to be entertained.

Last edited:

Davevil

i see the movie today...do you like the expand's lore with it?
the Mario Nutty's family , the fact that Peach came maybe from the same world of Mario, the concept of more tribe in the Mushroom Kingdom like Penguin or Donkey's tribe, Donkey's tribe creator of kart ?

Last edited:
Just got out of the movie, I loved it. The kids loved it. My wife loved it. It was a fantastic Mario movie. It had the right amount of nostalgia, considering. There was nothing wrong with it. Haters gonna hate.

Last edited:

mclaren777

My local theater had 25 showings of this movie today and they were all at least 80% capacity.

My kids and I both enjoyed the crap out of it!

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I paid for the whole theater. And I really enjoyed the film. Some rowdy 8 years olds yelled a little much for me. But the movie was fun.

Punch out references. Wrecking crew. Jump man all good stuff.

TheMan

Took my son today. He’s 8 and really liked it. For adults I’d agree the plot is thin and predictable but it’s fun and well done. Tons of references to various Mario and Donkey Kong games throughout. Ending credits music is a mix of classic recognizable Mario tunes like the underwater theme from the first super Mario game.

Overall it’s a movie for fans. Folks who somehow have no love or nostalgia for the games might get bored

Heimdall_Xtreme

NBC Universal has blocked the video in my country, what was it about?

It was a scene asking them to lower their voices... Especially Diddy Kong... But Dixie Kong and Kiddy Kong also appear.

They focus on the 3 characters.

It gave me my emotion as an inner child and I almost cried, because I could never imagine being in the cinema watching the characters of a video game that I really liked, such as DK 2.

E-Cat

It was a scene asking them to lower their voices... Especially Diddy Kong... But Dixie Kong and Kiddy Kong also appear.

They focus on the 3 characters.

It gave me my emotion as an inner child and I almost cried, because I could never imagine being in the cinema watching the characters of a video game that I really liked, such as DK 2.
Thanks, DKC2 is also my fav DK game so it does feel pretty surreal.

Trunx81

Saw it yesterday with my daughter (7) and we both had a great time. She had fun with the thin story and the colorful pictures, I was easter egg hunting and went home with a big grin on my face.

As someone who saw the original Super Mario Bros. movie in theaters back in the days, I wonder if the last act was an homage to it ..
But right from the beginning, the film contained so many nodds to the games and Nintendos history, that I will definetly have to watch it again to see what I missed. Loved the Mario Kart scene and the soundtrack with all the nods to the classic themes.
Humor was decent and not that much "on the nose" Marvelesque like other movies nowadays (although, Toad playing the flute in sync with the soundtrack is such an old trope). And they managed to make every character likeable, which is, especially for an Illumination film, always a good thing.

Top Bottom