• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney XD to air this E3's Nintendo World Championships in September

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

oti

Banned
Nice. Nintendo aced the game show presentation for the most part with their stage and music choices. The Splatoon segment was a bit chaotic but other than that a great show.

GamerJM

Banned
Trihex mentioned this on his stream a while back, apparently the competitors had to do exclusive interviews for this.

RPGCrazied

Nice, hope they can do this next year live so I don't have to deal with streaming issues. Maybe Nintendo could even make a deal with Disney and show their Digital Event on the channel, though if its anything like this year might not be a good idea, was terrible.

For 30 minutes?

Wasn't the actual event about 5 hours long?

That's not even long enough to cut everything and show just the footage from one round of each game, let alone the entire event.

Highlights might not be a bad way to do this. Nobody really needs to see everyone die vs Mother Brain, speedrunners can't handle 200CC or that guy who didn't know the controls in Splatoon (specifically y to reset camera) so stared at at the floor for the entire match.

A three parter with commentary and interviews could work quite nicely.

Don't know if it's related but Disney XD is the partner for the Yôkai Watch anime.
Off-topic: That is it for Yo-Pie What in the UK then. Them and their ancestors have been pretty terrible with anime in the UK. Killed Naruto by jump cut or freeze frame censorship and airing it the same time as Eastenders (which is the most popular TV program in the UK for better or worse) and as for Inazuma Eleven (which Nintendo UK delayed the game for 6 months just for the UK so the game could launch at the same time
also the game was one language per cart so no importing from say, France
) new shitty dub and they killed it after a few weeks (which means no 3DS port for UK
the DS cart is very cheap though
), I think ITV eventually picked that one up (as has the Nintendo anime channel).

Would have been this part of some of the talks of Nintendo with Disney?
Maybe just some commercial pyed thing for Mario Maker though. But could be really cool if they worked together to arrive to the young audience that watch those type of channels.
Here Disney Channel is a female based channel, theres no cartoons 99% of the time and is mostly female american sitcoms and even shitty south american soap operas. Even the official magazine is just for girls, is always pink and usually has gifts like make up stuff and nail polish.

Disney Channel Spain sucks major ass, I remember the days where Disney things on tv and official magazines were done for males and female audiences.

Briarios

Nintendo regularly advertises on both Disney channels -- in fact, they had a Splatoon contest with one of their show stars that ran for awhile.

For 30 minutes?

Wasn't the actual event about 5 hours long?

That's not even long enough to cut everything and show just the footage from one round of each game, let alone the entire event.

To be fair, the world does not need to see confused young people diligently shooting straight down at the floor and jumping off the platforms in Splatoon.

entremet

Looks like an edited version, which is welcome.

Hopefully they tighten up the production the second year going at it.

Bizzquik

I want a marriage of Nintendo and Disney.

Not ownership of one over the other, but....a partnership that gives us regular, multimedia Mario & Mickey team-ups (versus Wario & Donald shorts, in sports games, in cartoons, etc).

I want Nintendo to stay as far away from Disney as possible but it is inevitable that NOA will be pushing Ninty in all the ways Americans do best, I'm not looking forward to it at all

While I didn't expect them to replay the entire 5 hour event, 30 minutes seems light. A hour would give enough time to create some drama with the early rounds, then actually give some decent time to the later rounds in the 2nd half hour.

While I didn't expect them to replay the entire 5 hour event, 30 minutes seems light. A hour would give enough time to create some drama with the early rounds, then actually give some decent time to the later rounds in the 2nd half hour.

so was it a highlight reel type thing?

mclem

That seems like a paid for Mario Maker advert to me.

To be fair, that's entirely in the spirit of The Wizard!

I wonder if they'll edit the Blast Ball intro to acknowledge it's a Metroid game now, since being secretive doesn't really make sense now like it did then.

Cbajd5

It's on now.

Edit: It basically seems like a highlight reel with commentary by the players, with its own host of some kid. It also seems like it's an hour long? The schedule has it going from 8 to 9, and they've only gotten through Splatoon and TLoZ at the 15 minute mark.

Double Edit: BLAST BALL

Triple Edit: Yeah it's an hour, it's 8:31 and they only just finished Mario Kart 8.

4th edit: oh no balloon fight

5th Edit: I just noticed they blurred out the giant Nintendo logos in the back of the stage. Why?

Cbajd5

It's weird that they've blurred out Nintendo's logo in some shots

I just don't get it since they still have it in the NWC 2015 logo in between the blurred logos. And on all the players' shirts.

Also, SHULK.

Also it just wasn't blurred out in one shot.

RowdyReverb

I'd love to see a condensed and smartly edited version of the NWC. The finals were great, but I couldn't keep interested for most of it

Cbajd5

That's what makes this a mystery. The lines are blurred, like a logo in the background.

The only thing I would venture a guess is that there's some advertising law or something that's forcing them to blur the plain logos. Although that doesn't make much sense since they're still unblurred sometimes and are never blurred as part of the NWC2015 logo.

But if Nintendo didn't approve it I'd have to imagine it just couldn't happen.

Edit: Also it'll be on again at midnight, tomorrow at 7AM and 5PM, Friday at midnight & 7AM & 6PM, Saturday at 10 AM & 7 PM, and Sunday at 11AM & 9:30 PM.

Double edit: Yeah they had permission, one of the credits title cards was just the Nintendo logo and one for what I guess was the production company had something to the effect of "All titles mentioned used with the permission of Nintendo.".

Top Bottom