• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakdown of spend on each platform for EA, Activision Blizzard and Ubisoft

ZhugeEX

Banned
I got bored so made the below-

Basically it's showing the decline of last generation platforms but still shows that console platforms are seeing more spend from consumers over PC and mobile as adoption of next generation consoles takes place. Activision Blizzard have seen healthy spend from consumers on PC/Online gaming due to World of Warcraft and other subscription based/f2p PC games.

EA and Ubisoft are seeing more spend on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One than any other of the individual platforms whilst Activision Blizzard still sees more spend from PC.

Mobile continues to grow for all 3 publishers and now represents a healthy part of the business. This has fuelled digital sales growth among all three companies with EA now seeing 51% of total revenue generated from digital sales over the past 12 months. Digital distribution was the main area of growth for Ubisoft as well and Activision blizzard

According to Activision Blizzard internal estimates, overall industry digital gaming revenues for the six months ended June 30, 2015 increased by approximately 19% as compared to the same period in 2014. The primary drivers of the increase in digital gaming revenues were increases in micro-transactions and consumer purchases of full games via digital channels. Digital revenues are an important part of Activision Blizzard's business, and they continue to focus on and develop products, such as downloadable content, that can be delivered via digital online channels. Digital sales represented 50% of total revenue for the six months ended June 30, 2015.

Further, while the new console cycle has started strongly and demand for next-generation games was higher than expected, the retail demand for prior-generation games declined at a faster pace than the growth of retail sales for next-generation titles, resulting in the overall decline in sales in the retail distribution channels, down 7% in North America & Europe YOY. According to The NPD Group and GfK Chart-Track, retail sales from prior-generation platform games declined by 55% for the six months ended June 30, 2015, as compared to the same period in 2014. However, the increase in digitally distributed games, including full-game downloads, add-on content, and free-to-play games, has offset the negative trends in the retail distribution channels.

HmmyLsh.jpg

Doodis

Still making a good chunk of change on the old consoles. I can see why they're reluctant to move completely to the most recent consoles.

Tenebrous

Just about missed the Reaper of Souls launch which would've upped the ActiBlizz PC figures even more. All that was released by Blizzard during that period was Warlords of Draenor, a Hearthstone expansion (or seventy), and Heroes of the Storm.

_woLf

Strikes me as odd that only EA has Mobile and Other separated but the other two don't. I wonder what they consider "other" to be in each case.

I imagine last gen's percentage will shrink significantly in the next year. A lot of the newly announced titles are current gen only.

ZhugeEX

Banned
What's in the other section for EA? They don't still make games for Nintendo systems do they?

Other includes anything not mentioned in the pie chart.

For Activision Blizzard
Revenues from mobile and other include revenues from dedicated handheld, mobile and tablet devices, as well as non-platform specific game related revenues such as standalone sales of toys and accessories products from the Skylanders franchise and other physical merchandise and accessories.

For Ubisoft
Revenues from other include dedicated handheld sales, Nintendo home console sales as well as non-platform specific game related revenues.

For EA
Revenues from other include dedicated handheld sales, Nintendo home console sales as well as non-platform specific game related revenues.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just about missed the Reaper of Souls launch which would've upped the ActiBlizz PC figures even more. All that was released by Blizzard during that period was Warlords of Draenor, a Hearthstone expansion (or seventy), and Heroes of the Storm.

This is also a down year for EA since Battlefield Hardline did not have good comps to Battlefield 4.

Can't tell if Ubisoft is doing well on PC or if EA is just under performing. There is a stark difference in quality between their offerings in my opinion.

Wii is probably a significant chunk of Ubisoft's last generation offerings when you consider Just Dance. Seems unfair?

Tenebrous

Can't tell if Ubisoft is doing well on PC or if EA is just under performing. There is a stark difference in quality between their offerings in my opinion.

Wii is probably a significant chunk of Ubisoft's last generation offerings when you consider Just Dance and Zumba. Seems unfair?

Don't think the Wii comment is unfair at all.

As for EA, in the last 12 months on PC... Fifa 15, Dragon Age, and Hardline? I can't think of anything else. Ubisoft have put out a lot more than that (smaller titles). Hardline flopped, Dragon Age probably didn't outdo Far Cry and AC, and Fifa 15 is irrelevant.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Why aren't the PS3/360 and PS4/XB1 displayed separately?

Because neither Activision Blizzard and EA break them down.

... and people ask themselves why cross generation titles are still made?!? There is the answer ;).

Yup, same happened last gen as well, especially because PS2 was selling so well into Gen 7.

But this gen I expect last gen titles/ports to drop off drastically in 2016 due to the sharp decline that Gen 7 software sales have seen.

Maybe only the massive franchises like Fifa will remain on PS3/360 but pretty much every other sequel/new IP will be new gen from 2016 onwards imo.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Because neither Activision Blizzard and EA break them down.

Yup, same happened last gen as well, especially because PS2 was selling so well into Gen 7.

But this gen I expect last gen titles/ports to drop off drastically in 2016 due to the sharp decline that Gen 7 software sales have seen.

Maybe only the massive franchises like Fifa will remain on PS3/360 but pretty much every other sequel/new IP will be new gen from 2016 onwards imo.

I think the big factor will be the lack of comparable price drops for PS360 compared with PS2 for example. Either they will find a way to drop the price while keeping the margins high enough or they will simply have to kill the console off if PS4 and Xbox One need to drop in price to a similar enough level. We shall see :). I think their current PSNow architecture will push them to reduce the manufacturing cost of several key PS3 chips even further.

Kill3r7

Surprisingly Acti/Blizz is pretty diversified. I guess having some of the top selling franchises in each sector helps.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think the big factor will be the lack of comparable price drops for PS360 compared with PS2 for example. Either they will find a way to drop the price while keeping the margins high enough or they will simply have to kill the console off if PS4 and Xbox One need to drop in price to a similar enough level. We shall see :). I think their current PSNow architecture will push them to reduce the manufacturing cost of several key PS3 chips even further.

... and by 2016 PS3 will be close to being 10 years old...

Big factor is pricing + fast adoption of next generation.

I really don't see a price drop for PS3 at this stage, maybe 360?

You say PS3 is 10 yrs but you forget that PES2014 released on the 13 year old PS2 :p

Top Bottom