• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameinformer Developers Survey

yoopoo

Banned
Are you excited for the Wii?

Yes 77%
No 23%

If you port to the Wii, how hard is it to adapt your title to that system?

Hard 67%
Not so Bad 33%
Easy 0%

PS3 too expensive?

Yes 63%
No 37 %

How would you rate the PS3 dev kits at this point?

Good 20%
Bad 20%
Average 60%

Which system are you more excited to develop for?

360 37%
PS3 16%
Wii 32%
PC 5%
DS 5%
PSP 5%

Its from TXB though, so can't vouch for its vadality.

What about the retarded questions like

Q: Will more development time yield better games with PS3?

A: No. For some reason I am feeling like the Saturn all over again.

jjasper

Mark Gonzales said:

Yeah who said that?

I know it is in the mag, but did it say who?

Another negative PS3 thread. This has grown beyond tiresome. It's become almost psychotic, this canine hatred of PS3 exhibited by a certain group here. You can almost see the spittle.

yoopoo

Banned
Pedigree Chum said:
Another negative PS3 thread. This has grown beyond tiresome. It's become almost psychotic, this canine hatred of PS3 exhibited by a certain group here. You can almost see the spittle.
Get used to it, you'll go blind crying when the PS3 launches.

Pedigree Chum said:

Comparing it to Saturn isn't negative. I enjoyed Virtua Fighter on mine :)

Aryuken

Banned
all i have to say to that Survey is "Ouch!"

The wii 0% on easy to port made me giigle thought. Looks like wii60 is running strong in this survey, 60% on average.

Kolgar

Pedigree Chum said:

Sometimes the truth, as they say, hurts.

Chiggs

Pedigree Chum said:
Another negative PS3/Xbox 360/PSP thread. This has grown beyond tiresome. It's become almost psychotic, this canine hatred of the PS3/Xbox 360/PSP exhibited by certain groups here. You can almost see the spittle.

I'd say this is a little more fair.

Is that it? That's all the questions? and is there any context to the questions? Anything more then what was written, how many developers were asked? How many are actually making games for the Wii? Anything?

Pedigree Chum said:
Comparing it to Saturn, which failed miserably, IS negative. Not only that, it's absurdly off-base.

The system most similar to the Saturn is the DS. The Saturn didn't fail because of its hardware, though. It failed because of its price. In that regard, the complaint is not too far off base.

ethelred

Open Source said:
The system most similar to the Saturn is the DS. The Saturn didn't fail because of its hardware, though. It failed because of its price. In that regard, the complaint is not too far off base.

How in the world are the Saturn and the DS similar?

jko said:
you SURE this is a US mag you're getting this from? :lol

Developers want to do new stuff. Publishers want to do same old stuff. Wii is new stuff. Developers also want good tools and documentation and familiar libraries. Xbox 360 has that. Tech gurus want to develop for PS3 because it means they'll never be out of a job, like with PS2.

Pedigree Chum said:

I don't see how the first post is overtly negative. He didn't even include the Saturn comment.

Sons are so protective of their mothers.

Kolgar said:
Sometimes the truth, as they say, hurts.

The "truth" about a console that has yet to hit the market? That kind of "truth" is somewhat unreliable, wouldn't you say? How about the reliable truth, that which is evident, such as the truth about how that "doomed" console's closest competitor, the 360, has failed to meet any sales projection despite being available for almost a full year? Or the truth that the PS2, archaic remnant of a generation since passed, is outselling that new "next-gen" system?

I don't mean to belittle the 360, as it's proven to be a decent system in the short time it's been available, but it's inadequate in a number of ways. Which means that we, as gamers, should be hopeful that Sony fulfills the myriad promises they've set forth. Instead, the same people bore us with their pretense of interest in how the PS3 fares, as if they have any interest in seeing it succeed.

I want to see ALL these systems succeed, which could very well happen, because it's great for US. We get to see what the PS3 is capable of, with developers having an incentive to make us of the Cell; 360 owners are greeted by games by developers looking to prove the 360 can keep up with Sony's system; and Wii owners are able to enjoy a brand new approach to the manipulation of these games.

Unfortunately, it seems as if some of you would rather see a system fail than enjoy a multi-console future.

Chris Remo said:
Knowing Game Informer, I suspect they have connections with very few PC developers compared to the number of console developers they usually deal with.

PC gaming is dying. As a PC gamer, this makes me sad. With a few exceptions, all that's left are casual and subscription games, niche games, crap that got rejected from consoles, and ports from consoles.

The PC section at my local EB games keeps getting relegated to smaller and smaller spaces. Even the used movies have better placement there now.

Nozi

Banned
Mark Gonzales said:

I remember the Saturn was extremely powerful in the right hands, but also extremely difficult to program.. only a few devcos really pushed its 3D capabilities.

Pedigree Chum said:
The "truth" about a console that has yet to hit the market? That kind of "truth" is somewhat unreliable, wouldn't you say? How about the reliable truth, that which is evident, such as the truth about how that "doomed" console's closest competitor, the 360, has failed to meet any sales projection despite being available for almost a full year? Or the truth that the PS2, archaic remnant of a generation since passed, is outselling that new "next-gen" system?

I don't mean to belittle the 360, as it's proven to be a decent system in the short time it's been available, but it's inadequate in a number of ways. Which means that we, as gamers, should be hopeful that Sony fulfills the myriad promises they've set forth. Instead, I've observed the same people bore us with their pretense of interest in how the PS3 fares, as if they have any interest in seeing it succeed.

I want to see ALL these systems succeed, which could very well happen, because it's great for US. We get to see what the PS3 is capable of, with developers having an incentive to make us of the Cell; 360 owners are greeted by games by developers looking to prove the 360 can keep up with Sony's system; and Wii owners are able to enjoy a brand new approach to the manipulation of these games.

Unfortunately, it seems as if some of you would rather see a system fail than enjoy a multi-console future.

This survey isn't about what customers want; it's about what developers want. Guess what? We hated developing for the PS2, too, but it seemed to do alright.

But yeah, I hope the PS3 fails miserably. Tired of development budgets being burned up on tech instead of the game itself.

Nozi

Banned
Open Source said:
This survey isn't about what customers want; it's about what developers want. Guess what? We hated developing for the PS2, too, but it seemed to do alright.

Agreed, developing for the ps2 was not the most fun experience.

J-Rzez

Open Source said:
PC gaming is dying. As a PC gamer, this makes me sad. With a few exceptions, all that's left are casual and subscription games, niche games, crap that got rejected from consoles, and ports from consoles.

The PC section at my local EB games keeps getting relegated to smaller and smaller spaces. Even the used movies have better placement there now.

Yep... expect to get your next WoW expansion pack and various RTS games from a guy in a trench-coat in an alley behind a shadey Tony-Danza type molester van...

But... the creators of Steam saw this coming i think... thus it's development...

bud

360 37%
PS3 16%
Wii 32%
PC 5%
DS 5%
PSP 5%

m3g4ton!!!11one

Nozi said:
I remember the Saturn was extremely powerful in the right hands, but also extremely difficult to program.. only a few devcos really pushed its 3D capabilities.
that's true, but nothing has been said that PS3 is "extremely difficult to program". The same survey shows that 80% of devs think the PS3 kits are average/above average and it will only get better.

On top of that, the PS3's true trumpcard is the standard HDD. Not the "Reality Synthesizer" or whatever bullshit PR Sony's now spouting, but a simple ****ing standard hard drive. For PC devs, optimizing for a HDD is second-nature and even console devs got experience this gen with the XBox HDD and the PS2 HDD (barely used, but still). Not even close to being the same situation as the Saturn's hardware differences.

The analogy is laughable.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mark Gonzales said:

That does not compute. If there ever was a console that saw an improvement in it's graphics over time, it was Saturn.

Were there any more quirky answers like this?

jko

Pedigree Chum said:
Another negative PS3 thread. This has grown beyond tiresome. It's become almost psychotic, this canine hatred of PS3 exhibited by most of the internet. You can almost see the spittle.
fixed...? :D

J-Rzez said:
Yep... expect to get your next WoW expansion pack and various RTS games from a guy in a trench-coat in an alley behind a shadey Tony-Danza type molester van...

But... the creators of Steam saw this coming i think... thus it's development...

Steam isn't the first or the best, just the trendiest.

Online distribution is the future, but no one's doing it right yet. You need good selection, good organization, good presentation, demos, a crap filter, a variety of pricing plans, good marketing/PR...you need to be ubiquitous. There can be only one. So for XBLA 360 is the best, better than anything on PC. That's why even retarded casual games that came out on PC ages ago can sell well there. Still, it's not all that close to what the standard will be 5 years from now. No retail games is the most obvious shortcoming. The interface isn't good for a big selection of games. There needs to be recommendations based on other stuff you liked. Editorial content. Rentals and all-you-can-eat subscriptions. Advertising in major media. A keyboard and mouse input device. A shop for console and console accessories. Music and movie downloads.

I'm rambling. But 5 years from now, I'm going to bump this post and bask in the glory of my own foresight for about 0.02 seconds until a mod bans me for bumping old posts.

Zonar

Guy LeDouche said:
that's true, but nothing has been said that PS3 is "extremely difficult to program". The same survey shows that 80% of devs think the PS3 kits are average/above average and it will only get better.

On top of that, the PS3's true trumpcard is the standard HDD. Not the "Reality Synthesizer" or whatever bullshit PR Sony's now spouting, but a simple ****ing standard hard drive. For PC devs, optimizing for a HDD is second-nature and even console devs got experience this gen with the XBox HDD and the PS2 HDD (barely used, but still). Not even close to being the same situation as the Saturn's hardware differences.

The analogy is laughable.

Very and I mean VERY few developers used the Xbox hard drive. I want to believe that this will change with the PS3 but I doubt it.

J-Rzez

Open Source said:
Steam isn't the first or the best, just the trendiest.

Online distribution is the future, but no one's doing it right yet. You need good selection, good organization, good presentation, demos, a crap filter, a variety of pricing plans, good marketing/PR...you need to be ubiquitous. There can be only one. So for XBLA 360 is the best, better than anything on PC. That's why even retarded casual games that came out on PC ages ago can sell well there. Still, it's not all that close to what the standard will be 5 years from now. No retail games is the most obvious shortcoming. The interface isn't good for a big selection of games. There needs to be recommendations based on other stuff you liked. Editorial content. Rentals and all-you-can-eat subscriptions. Advertising in major media. A keyboard and mouse input device. A shop for console and console accessories. Music and movie downloads.

I'm rambling. But 5 years from now, I'm going to bump this post and bask in the glory of my own foresight for about 0.02 seconds until a mod bans me for bumping old posts.

I agree... Digital Distribution is gonna be a big next thing that companies are going to push... it is gonna however hurt some ppl's feelings... Personally, I love have a pile of game cases... I like the box arts, limited edition extra stuff of my favorite games... I hope they adopt a style where you DL the game, the box and hardcopy gets sent to you in the mail like how a lot of PC software is being sold now...

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bud said:

360 37%
PS3 16%
Wii 32%
PC 5%
DS 5%
PSP 5%

m3g4ton!!!11one

That was seriously unexpected. Is this a NA developer survey or is it an equal mix of western and eastern devs?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Zonar said:
Very and I mean VERY few developers used the Xbox hard drive. I want to believe that this will change with the PS3 but I doubt it.

I disagree. The PS3's blu ray drive is slow. It has to rely on its hardrive for caching for shorter load times. A lot of devs will use the HDD for load time purposes.

HDD's are actually required this gen. Not only for downloading purposes but for shortening load times

Top Bottom