• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameinformer Developers Survey

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Guy LeDouche said:
80% of devs think the PS3 kits are average/above average
Oh and 80% of devs think the PS3 kits are below average/average.

The question was whether aditional time in development will cause better games and the answer no, it's just like Saturn [where the aditional time was spent working on getting the tech work]. It's not equaling PS3 and Saturn, but talking about just one aspect.

guise

kutaragicryc56.gif

Zonar

dirtmonkey37 said:
I disagree. The PS3's blu ray drive is slow. It has to rely on its hardrive for caching for shorter load times. A lot of devs will use the HDD for load time purposes.

HDD's are actually required this gen. Not only for downloading purposes but for shortening load times

I can see your point for load times, but if thats it, then it's not a true trumpcard.

but I do stand corrected, the HDD most likely will be used more often

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Zonar said:
I can see your point for load times, but if thats it, then it's not a true trumpcard.

but I do stand corrected, the HDD most likely will be used more often

But why do you think the PS3 won't make HDD's more widely used?

I personally think in 2 years, you'll all be downloading music, shows, game expansion packs, full games, and a bunch of other stuff onto your HDD's.

HDD's seem really important. So far at least.

It's too bad the PS3's blu ray drive is so slow though....

Mrbob

What is amazing to me is how easily MS has swooped in and became a developer darling over the last couple years. Say what you will about the Xbox platforms, but developers are always praising MS for good support.

Arsenal

Pedigree Chum said:
Another negative PS3 thread. This has grown beyond tiresome. It's become almost psychotic, this canine hatred of PS3 exhibited by a certain group here. You can almost see the spittle.

Somebody call the Waaaambulance!

Zonar

dirtmonkey37 said:
But why do you think the PS3 won't make HDD's more widely used?

I personally think in 2 years, you'll all be downloading music, shows, game expansion packs, full games, and a bunch of other stuff onto your HDD's.

HDD's seem really important. So far at least.

It's too bad the PS3's blu ray drive is so slow though....

It’s not that I think HDD won’t be used more this gen, I just don’t believe the up shift in HDD use is because of the PS3. I think the thanks should go to XBL but I’ll get to that in a second. When Guy LeDouche said…

Guy LeDouche said:
t the PS3's true trumpcard is the standard HDD. Not the "Reality Synthesizer" or whatever bullshit PR Sony's now spouting, but a simple ****ing standard hard drive. For PC devs, optimizing for a HDD is second-nature and even console devs got experience this gen with the Xbox HDD and the PS2 HDD (barely used, but still).

I was just saying it’s not a true trump card because I don’t believe developers will use it for added gameplay. And if some developers do the number of them will be as small as the Xbox 1 was. As for “downloading music, shows, game expansion packs, full games, and a bunch of other stuff” I think that XBL has already been doing that with the 360. So it’s not so much a trump card. That is in a nutshell what I am trying to say.

Or to make it simple
Xbox live = any advantages PS3 standard HDD could have had. And I base this on most lazy/overworked developers who never used it well for xbox1

dirtmonkey37 said:
I disagree. The PS3's blu ray drive is slow. It has to rely on its hardrive for caching for shorter load times. A lot of devs will use the HDD for load time purposes.

Doesn't the BD drive transfer data at about the same rate as the 360 DVD drive?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:
That was seriously unexpected. Is this a NA developer survey or is it an equal mix of western and eastern devs?

I ask the question again

lalalala, one more time, it's time to celebrate....lalalala

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Ignatz Mouse said:

No.....wait....I know the read speed of the 360 is twice as fast as that of PS3's 2x Blu ray drive (12.blah blah MB/s vs 6.75 MB p/s)

Arsenal

Ignatz Mouse said:

Is it officially confirmed that the BD will be 2x yet? I believe that is a little slower than the 360's DVD drive. Originally there was some fears that the BD drive would be 1x which would have been extremely slow but I think with the PS3 delay, they've had time to address that. Theoretically in the future they could just upgrade the BD drive to say 4x and dramatically reduce load times but that certainly wouldn't come in time for the launch.

element

Zonar said:
Very and I mean VERY few developers used the Xbox hard drive. I want to believe that this will change with the PS3 but I doubt it.
You are smoking crack. EVERY Xbox game used the hard drive. Did they use the hard drive to do crazy insane things they couldn't without one? No. Did almost every game use the hard drive as a simple scratch disc? Yes.
What is amazing to me is how easily MS has swooped in and became a developer darling over the last couple years. Say what you will about the Xbox platforms, but developers are always praising MS for good support.
Because MS knows the difficulties of making software.

This will give you an idea of the basic difference between Sony and MS from an SDK.
Microsoft. Double click installer to install SDK.
Sony. Multiple gzip files, that don't all extract to the same root.

While not rocket science, it is one of those simple things that Sony just doesn't get.

that's true, but nothing has been said that PS3 is "extremely difficult to program".
There are quotes out there. Wait until a game ships and people can say something without the NDA police coming down hard.

J-Rzez

Arsenal said:
Is it officially confirmed that the BD will be 2x yet? I believe that is a little slower than the 360's DVD drive. Originally there was some fears that the BD drive would be 1x which would have been extremely slow but I think with the PS3 delay, they've had time to address that. Theoretically in the future they could just upgrade the BD drive to say 4x and dramatically reduce load times but that certainly wouldn't come in time for the launch.

I didn't think that there was ever a 1x drive to be released? I could've sworn I read that you'd need a 1.5x drive at least to play a BR-movie to full resolution capability? Which goes against sony's BR adoption marketing contained within the PS3...

Zonar

element said:
You are smoking crack. EVERY Xbox game used the hard drive. Did they use the hard drive to do crazy insane things they couldn't without one? No. Did almost every game use the hard drive as a simple scratch disc? Yes.

If you would have read my other post in this thread you would have saw that's exactly what I meant. Maybe I should have put it clearer, but even if I was wrong, why would I have to be smoking crack. People around here are so quick to attack someone personally when they don't see things the way you do.

Draft

Pedigree Chum said:
I don't mean to belittle the 360

I want to see ALL these systems succeed, which could very well happen

Unfortunately, it seems as if some of you would rather see a system fail than enjoy a multi-console future.
There aren't enough laughing smileys in all the world.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Pedigree Chum said:
Another negative PS3 thread. This has grown beyond tiresome. It's become almost psychotic, this canine hatred of PS3 exhibited by a certain group here. You can almost see the spittle.

As if the 360 didn't get the same treatment.

Top Bottom