• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Destiny's voice over comparisons between Dinklage and North

Noaloha

Just watched this interesting video on Polygon which takes several lines of the character Ghost and runs Dinklage's and North's delivery side by side. I personally couldn't care less about the discussions critical of Dinklage's initial performance (though you're welcome to go nuts yourself if that's a Thing for you); what I did take away from the video was simple interest in the job of the VO and how even slight changes in stress can alter a character, can shift an entire scene's mood.

The video in question.

Griffin McElroy, who edited the video together ("[it] nearly drove me insane", he tweeted) commented himself on the comparison:

"In my opinion, @nolan_north does a much better job as the Ghost. Brings a livelier, inquisitive tone to the character."
link

Personally, I think I found North's delivery more nuanced, more 'human' and relate-able, but I then question whether that's an improvement on a character that is an AI. I'll leave that up to the Destiny-heads who are more in tune with the techlevel of the universe, whether an AI is more fitting intonating lines with an air of cheekiness, worrisomeness, or terseness as opposed to functionally dry and more matter-of-fact. I absolutely do think that North's delivery is more agreeable on a base level. It isn't ever really *jarring*, when Dinklage's take on the lines occasionally stands out as peculiar and alien/off-kilter. Again though, I'm undecided if that's a negative necessarily when it concerns an AI.

Anyway, I thought the video offered an interesting, and uniquely composed, viewpoint on videogame VO. And that's as someone who's played no Destiny whatsoever. Seemed worthy of a thread on that basis.

Lucifon

I never thought I'd say it but... I actually prefer Dinklage's performance. North's sounds too upbeat and youthful whereas Dinklage sounds more daunting particularly when he's saying something which is intended to be foreboding. Then again the writing is still terrible either way.

RIP Dinklebot.

BiggNife

Dinklage's voice sounds lifeless. North's voice actually has personality.

The biggest problem is that they didn't change the script and it's still terrible.

-griffy-

Banned
Kind of a bummer that the dialog is exactly the same. Means it retains many of the same problems the original dialog had, albeit with slightly better line readings at times. It still sounds clunky at times and like random non sequiturs, because it's still clunky and it is random non sequiturs. The real gain is that they can keep your ghost as an active participant in future DLC because it'll be far easier to get North back for more recording compared to Dinklage.

ElRenoRaven

Yea I actually like Dinklebot better. Nolan's sounds way too human and too high pitched for my taste. Course when you can't get the original voice actor back you gotta do what you gotta do. Besides it's not like Nolan's voice is bad. I just liked the other better.

jrcbandit

WTH, I thought they were going to improve the story with 2.0 and re-do the old dialogue to make something cohesive and not so horrible sounding. Instead, they just re-recorded the exact same lines.... So much for restructuring 1.0 to tell the "story".

Troy

Banned
The blame constantly is applied to Dinklage, but the real blame lands squarely on the producer of that content.

Good riddance Stinklebot.

Nolan sounds like he cares what he's saying, but this doesn't fix the terrible dialogue. I'm surprised Bungie didn't change a few things.

Well there you go.

It actually was the shitty script all along. Everything is just as awkward as ever.

At least with Nolan they can record new Ghost lines for DLC so the switch is still for the best. Hopefully stuff in the TTK is much better

Update is not as good as I expected... Direction + script fail?

edit: On second listen Nolan clearly wins though. "Its power is Dark"... So bad from Dinklage :lol

Jesus, they should have just named it 343 Guilty Spark. Bungie really cut loose creatively after they broke free of those Halo shackles, huh?

So Im confused and this might not be the right place to ask it but...is this 2.0 like an update for the whole game or just an expansion? Like I can I just buy it and start in the beginning or?

Yeah both sound off, Dink was bored and amateur, Nolan...mechanically upbeat.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Dinklage sounds like he was bored reading those lines and was probably thinking "ugh let's just get on with it". North actually gave the character some personality.

Destiny and MGSV.. should be a lesson to developers who think famous actors can do VA.

Danielsan

Nolan is clearly a much better voice actor and actually puts in some effort, but when all you have to work with is shit writing, the end product is still going to be a turd.

Chase17

Nolan North's version sounded pretty good. Robot companions don't have to be made to be this dull, but he did the best with what he had to work with.

We even had vintage Nolan North nononono in there. I approve.

I feel like Dinklage fits the character more honestly. Although maybe that's more to do with playing through the game with him instead of North.

Kinda prefer the original even though something feels off about it. North feels too familiar, and I barely play AAA games. I feel like Bungie should have stood by their decisions, but I'm sure there's nothing I can say that hasn't been said a million times before.

As someone who has never played it the whole thing puts me off any potential PC release.

Nolan's lines are overall better. But the problem has always been the script and the voice direction. Even North couldn't save 3/4 of those lines.

Maddocks

Once dink said,"We awoken the hive!" you had that fear of endless hordes coming at you. Nolan sounds like you walked into a door and woke up your roommate by accident.

Halabane

Its the writing that is bad. This was two good actors given crap to work with.

What a waste of money. Bad planning to hire an actor for a ten year game that is too busy to do updates. Could have saved the money and hired more or better writers.

Meier

I liked Dinklage's performance. Felt appropriate. Watched a minute of the video.. North's is fine, but I wouldn't say it's better. A lot of it is probably down to familiarity though. If North's had been the first version, I'd probably "like it" more. I think Dinklage's cadence is better though.. it gives the character (a floating AI) a more natural feeling IMO.

I mean the main problem is they still don't seem to know if they want the Ghost to be an emotionless AI or a lively chirpy robo-buddy.

You can prefer one or the other but they're for two different characters.

HardRojo

Nolan North sounding like Nolan North.
I think I actually preferred Dinklage's "lifeless" delivery in this game, though I haven't really played that much.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I disliked Dinklages performance in Destiny but North is not better here.

Top Bottom