• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chip Zdarsky Declines Harvey Award For Sex Criminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
sexcriminals-vol1_web.jpg

Via his blog
Chip Zdarsky said:
This weekend I won the Special Award for Humor from the Harveys, a thing I talked about earlier when I was nominated. It’s nice having people realize how special I am and how humor I am, and I truly appreciate everyone who voted for me, but the award, as it stands, doesn’t make a lot of sense.

The fact that I was nominated for a humor award for SEX CRIMINALS without the writer of said series, my beloved chum, Matt Fraction, is wrong. On every level. I pointed this out to the Harvey Awards and told them I wished to have Matt on the ballot with me, or to remove me completely, and they declined to do either.

They said, and I quote; “We believe any collaborative process which the creators believe is equally divided makes this difficult. It’s unfortunate this is not a judgment call for us to make - but it’s not.”

Except for the fact that it is. They created a category designed to highlight individuals, sometimes out of a team, with no recognition of what has been contributed and by whom. The writer of our comic supplies 90% of the humor! This is the Harvey Awards’s category, so the ultimate judgement call is theirs.

Suppose a group of people successfully nominated me for my work on Green Lantern, a comic I’ve never worked on (YET). Would the Harveys simply shrug and go, “Oh well, out of our hands?” Of course not. Because it would be erroneous. Just like nominating me for the humor in Sex Criminals without Matt Fraction is erroneous.

I put forth the idea to the Harveys that the category simply be changed in the future to “Best Humor Publication,” in order to recognize the end result, instead of imagining who contributed what in a team effort. They could do that or just keep the nominations to creators who do all the work on their books, like Ryan Browne or Kate Beaton. They never responded to me, so I’m putting this idea out to you, the people who vote and are voted on. In an industry that daily has to contend with lopsided credits in the media, how can we allow ourselves to contribute to it with this award? Let’s make this category reflect the teams who deserve it.

Until then, I can’t accept the award. I love the people who voted for me, but I can’t abide by the rules set in place to allow such a thing. If, for some reason, it’s already en route to me, I’ll just carve Matt’s name into it and raffle it off for the HERO INITIATIVE.

-Chip

90.gif

Absolutely amazing call on Chip's part, and it highlights my already favorable opinion of him and his character. Dude is wicked talented and he's never been one to sacrifice his integrity for fame and recognition. If you have yet to check out Sex Criminals, give it a shot. You can pick up "Big, Hard, Sex Criminals" the Deluxe Hardcover vol 1. on Amazon for $26, or a little cheaper here.

NOV140582.jpg

Tenebrous

Never heard of him, his work, or this award, but I'll be damned if that wasn't a cool thing for him to do. Restecpa!

Owzers

i didn't find his statement that funny, he should be funnier in the future if he wants to win again next year.

Sanjuro

Never heard of the guy, but good on him.

The book posted looks like something you'd have to buy behind the counter in the 90s.

Great on Chip's part. It's a terrific book and you can tell it's one of these cases where writing and art have a great synergy.

I hope the upcoming TV show makes the book more popular.

barik

The title makes it sound like he declined an award for being the best Sex Criminal. The actual story is a lot better.

When I first read Sex Criminals I thought "Yeah, that was okay." On my retread was when I fell in love

Keep on keeping on, Chip. And Matt.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The award is listed in the comic's product page provided by OP
KuGsj.gif

(W) Matt Fraction (A/CA) Ziggy Chooch Collecting the first ten issues of the Eisner and Harvey award-winning, TIME Magazine Best Comic of the year of our lord 2013, SEX CRIMINALS, in an oversized hardcover format guaranteed to embarrass you to order.

Actually, legitimate question about how this works. Is this an official declination? Does the organization that distribute these awards have to take it back?

Zombine

Banned
Actually, legitimate question about how this works. Is this an official declination? Does the organization that distribute these awards have to take it back?

He said that if they somehow managed to already send it out he was going to etch Fraction's name on the statue and auction it for The Hero Initiative. It's in the OP. For those of you who are curious about the Hero Initiative, there's more info at: http://www.heroinitiative.org/

There's going to be a big auction next week at NYCC.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Pretty weird for a comic to get nominated for a humor award and to only nominate the artist of the comic and not the writer. That's oddly backwards.

Pretty weird for a comic to get nominated for a humor award and to only nominate the artist of the comic and not the writer. That's oddly backwards.

It's really weird because, I understand the nature of the award - achievement in humor - is targeted at the individual. But that's basically them saying, Zdarsky did a better job than Fraction did, because we won't even put him on the ballet.

His suggestion of having a series nominated rather than individuals makes more sense.

Zubz

Banned
Sex Criminals seems to be the favorite comic of all my friends that don't usually read comics, which bodes pretty well for it. I still need to check it out, especially if Chip's this cool of a guy. I mean, I'd be baffled, too, if the writer wasn't the one winning the award for the series' writing, but the fact that he didn't just take all the credit and cast Fraction to the side, and instead decided to just forgo the award, is pretty cool. It's even better that he's etching the name on there and auctioning it for charity. I've only read his Applebee's Tweets, but I'm already a fan of Zdarsky.

ElNarez

Banned
What's the story behind this?

Jonathan Hickman's made a number of comics that are either events, have variants -including some he's done himself-, use a lot of circle-based iconography and white pages for dramatic effect, which he writes for Marvel, a subsidiary of Disney. That covers 1-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom