• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explaining the THPS5 disaster: Activision's license expires at the end of 2015.

When I read this, everything made much more sense.

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:
It is extremely easy to speculate that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is the glitchy, incomplete mess that early impressions suggest it is because it was rushed out so Activision could capitalize on brand recognition one last time before the contract expired.
I thought this would be interesting for some users who may be looking for context as to why the game is apparently such poor quality.

2002 press release:
Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today that the company has extended its successful partnership with world-renowned skateboarder Tony Hawk through an exclusive multi-year video game licensing agreement that expires in 2015.

So it's just a shameless cash grab before the license expires. Can't say I'm surprised. There is much more detail in the reddit post, including a gamespot story about the press release.

Revert me through the floor geometry if old.

same thing sony does/did with spiderman movies. i think fox is the same with fantastic four?

crank em out or lose em

edit: oops, seems like this was just to get one handful of money off some people silly enough to buy it.

xam3l

That's no excuse for not making a good Tony Hawk game since... I dont know... Project 8 or something.

Even though it does expire, I'm really not sure who would pick it up. Black Box doesn't exist anymore, so EA is doubtful. Maybe 2K? I just don't know that the brand is worth as much as it used to be anymore.

same thing sony does/did with spiderman movies.

crank em out or lose em

No, Activision is losing them anyways. They just wanted to get one more cash-grab out the door on the way out.

Even though it does expire, I'm really not sure who would pick it up. Black Box doesn't exist anymore, so EA is doubtful. Maybe 2K? I just don't know that the brand is worth as much as it used to be anymore.

No, Activision is losing them anyways. They just wanted to get one more cash-grab out the door on the way out.

whoops, youre right. edited.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This "context" just makes it worse. We can't just chalk it up to incompetence. Instead we can chalk it up to greed and disrespect for customers!

MAtgS

Remember when Activision was kicking ass with licensed properties? X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance, the old THPS games, Spider-Man games, the High Moon Transformers duology, even Goldeneye to an extent was decent. What the hell happened?

Xater

Ist this another GAF > Reddit > GAF? Or maybe I even saw it way earlier mentioned on Twitter by industry folks.

I wonder if someone else will pick it up after the latest release

I dunno, yes Tony hawk is still essentially the biggest name in skateboarding.... But I don't think a guy in his late 40s is really going to be the major reason for a kid to buy a skateboarding game these days, and only really helps get the nostalgia crowd interested.

Also given that the last..... Decade, of games with Tony hawks name on it have been fairly shoddy or an outright disaster and I think it's time to distance the games away from him, and just have a skateboarding game minus his license.

samn

Remember when Activision was kicking ass with licensed properties? X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance, the old THPS games, Spider-Man games, the High Moon Transformers duology, even Goldeneye to an extent was decent. What the hell happened?

Licensed properties for non-AAA games don't make the money they used to (except for toys to life, which they already have with Skylanders). It's better to invest the money into one of the bigger titles than into a mid-tier game.

Cod 4

Iacobellis

Ist this another GAF > Reddit > GAF? Or maybe I even saw it way earlier mentioned on Twitter by industry folks.

I saw it yesterday on here as well.

That GameSpot is woefully broken now, it's kind of funny. Each platform is just Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance.

Doczu

You know who's free these days?

Hideo Kojima.

No thank you, i just want to skate, not watch 30 minute interludes between levels about who the fuck is organizing the skating contest and who will backstab you mid in the story mode.

It's just to put something with the Tony hawk name on store shelves.

They hope that Joe blow casual gamer who owns a console walks into Walmart and says "hey i remember that" and buys it for the next year or two.

The $60 price is part of that because it makes it look like a normal full game, not a budget title.

Its totally scummy and awful.

One would think that Activision would be concerned about their image...

Activision has plenty of trash already made (The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, latest Spider-man games), this won't affect their reputation one bit. They will never die as long as they have Blizzard games and Call of Duty.

dlauv

Project 8 and Proving Ground weren't great either. I'd argue Proving Ground is probably worse than 5.

Things haven't been the same since THUG2 really.

Xater

Project 8 and Proving Ground weren't great either. I'd argue Proving Ground is probably worse than 5.

Things haven't been the same since THUG2 really.

But even the THUG games had issues. All the stuff that didn't involve skateboarding sucked. I have not trouble with including the running, but don't build missions around that. The whole attitude of the THUG games can also be very off putting. That's why I would still consider 3 and 4 the best games in the franchise.

Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. Once those games started making insane amounts of money, putting effort into anything else didn't matter.

bltn

Conveniently released one day before the end of their fiscal quarter, which is September 30th. That might even be the date the license expires?

It's really extra special cynical when you think about it--crank out a cheap terrible game to cash in on what's left of the brand appeal while simultaneously torching the brand value for whomever would be interested in it afterward.

dlauv

But even the THUG games had issues. All the stuff that didn't involve skateboarding sucked. I have not trouble with including the running, but don't build missions around that. The whole attitude of the THUG games can also be very off putting. That's why I would still consider 3 and 4 the best games in the franchise.

Yeah I agree. THUG2 was when things got pretty funky is what I mean. THPS4 was probably worse than THUG2 to me tho.

Out of the entire franchise, 1-3 and THUG1 were enjoyable. AW was ok.

Tevren

It's really extra special cynical when you think about it--crank out a cheap terrible game to cash in on what's left of the brand appeal while simultaneously torching the brand value for whomever would be interested in it afterward.

I wonder if Activision could use this as leverage with Tony to renew at lower cost? Then make an actual good game, and make more profit.

Top Bottom