• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Becomes The Most Pre-Ordered Sonic Game In History

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems people are really excited for Sonic Generations.

Sega Press Release said:
SEGA'S SONIC SPEEDS TO NEW HEIGHTS THIS HOLIDAY SEASON

SEGA Puts Full Support Behind Sonic Generations With Multiple Large-Scale Marketing Initiatives; Game Breaks Franchise Pre-Order Record

SAN FRANCISCO (October 27, 2011) – SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that Sonic Generations™ has exceeded all previous pre-order records from the 20-year Sonic catalog, making it the most anticipated title in Sonic the Hedgehog's iconic history. The company also announced that, celebrating two decades of the iconic blue blur, SEGA has invested in a number of high-profile brand initiatives surrounding the anniversary and the game itself. Sonic Generations has already been extremely positively received by critics: Complex.com calls it "the perfect mix of old school and new school Sonic" while IGN determined that it is "the best of Sonic."

"Sonic Generations is the ultimate title to cap off Sonic's 20th anniversary and we have put our full support behind it with a number of truly amazing initiatives," said Alan Pritchard, Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing at SEGA of America. "This year is a milestone for Sonic and we want to make sure this is the best title that Sonic fans, old and new, have been waiting for."

The campaign began with the colossal 20th anniversary celebration for the game's fans, Sonic Boom, which saw over 1,000 people singing Happy Birthday to Sonic and reunited the original development team of the game. The celebrations will continue with the following large-scale initiatives that will lead to the culmination of Sonic's 20th anniversary year and the release of the upcoming videogame:

· Six Flags Partnership, throughout October: Nationwide theme park brand implementation with Sonic Generations game zones for hands-on experience and marketing messaging across the Six Flags Digital Networks.

· Sonic Generations of Skate, October 22: The nationally broadcast (November 25 on FOX Sports Net) professional skateboarding tournament featuring legendary skaters Steve Caballero, Tony Hawk, Pierre Luc Gagnon, Andy Macdonald, Mitchie Brusco and more, united skateboarders from multiple generations to compete in an event celebrating Sonic Generations and Sonic's 20th Anniversary. (Venice Beach, CA)

· Custom Sonic Playground, October 28: SEGA and KaBOOM! have partnered to build a custom Sonic-themed playground for kids in East Oakland, CA at the Youth UpRising community center. (Oakland, CA)

· Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade – November 24: Modern Sonic will be making his debut as a helium balloon in this year's parade. In 1993, Classic Sonic was the first-ever video game character in the annual event. (New York, NY)

Sonic Generations will be released for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC digital download on November 1, 2011 nationwide. The game will be available for Nintendo 3DS™ on November 22, 2011.

For more information about the game, please visit www.sega.com/sonicgenerations

For press assets, please visit the SEGA press site at www.sega-press.com.

For more news, follow SEGA on Twitter @SEGA or "like" us on Facebook www.facebook.com/sega.

About Sonic Generations: SEGA's highly anticipated new title, Sonic Generations, will be released this November. The game features Sonic the Hedgehog, as both the much loved classic 1991 character and the modern-day video game hero he has become. In this exciting fast-paced adventure set across three defining eras of Sonic the Hedgehog, the most iconic environments from his history are available to speed through; Classic Sonic in re-imagined 2D side scrolling levels and as Modern Sonic in all new, stunning 3D levels. Sonic Generations will be available for this holiday season for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows PC digital download and Nintendo 3DS™.

About SEGA® of America, Inc.:
SEGA® of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA® Corporation, a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment. SEGA of America's Web site is located at www.sega.com

Microsoft, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE, and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/27/sonic-generations-pre-orders-exceed-all-previous-sonic-titles/

ElRenoRaven

That's cool as hell to hear. Hopefully this sends a strong strong message to Sega. That being Make good Sonic games and people will buy them.

Have none of these people played any of the other Sonic games released in the last 10 years?!?

I only pre-order if I'm absolutely certain the game will be amazing! (and even then, it backfires sometimes!)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
Have none of these people played any of the other Sonic games released in the last 10 years?!?

I only pre-order if I'm absolutely certain the game will be amazing! (and even then, it backfires sometimes!)
There are demos available for this game and they are a hell of a lot of fun. One of my most anticipated games of the year, believe it or not.

Nert

It's incredibly heartwarming to see good entries in the franchise again after a decade or so of... you know. Sonic Colors was a real treat last year, and Generations looks like it will be great fun as well. It's nice to see the extra effort translate into better sales, too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Weird, you'd think a Sonic game is the last franchise one would need to pre-order for.

But yea, I haven't purchased a Sonic game since Rush 1(which I liked). This will likely be a game I snag next week. Enjoyed the demo and really love the idea of mission challenges for the stages(assuming they give better replay value beyond merely high score/rankings).

Amagon

X6Kr2.gif

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:

I guess you haven't played Unleashed or Colors.

& FUCK YEAH to the news!

this means that we'll be seeing a lot more of the old style return (hopefully!)

return of the king!!!

and i even like modern sonic, the daytime stages in unleashed and sonic colors. it streamlines it, cranks the speed way up, and it's a blast to play over and over again to perfect it. there's such a thing as a "perfect run" in modern sonic, and i love that.

hopefully all future sonics are both classic and modern at the same time.

return of the king!!!!!!!!!!

Rapture

ShockingAlberto said:
99% chance SEGA takes the wrong lesson from this.

This is what i expect.

Coincidence that this game also has 1991 Sonic and you don't play as any of his friends? i think not.

milkyjay20 said:
this means that we'll be seeing a lot more of the old style return (hopefully!)

return of the king!!!

and i even like modern sonic, the daytime stages in unleashed and sonic colors. it streamlines it, cranks the speed way up, and it's a blast to play over and over again to perfect it. there's such a thing as a "perfect run" in modern sonic, and i love that.

hopefully all future sonics are both classic and modern at the same time.

return of the king!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/10...g-classic-sonic-back-after-sonic-generations/

“Do you know what? There are no plans, to be brutally honest, to bring Classic Sonic back. The reason for bringing him back for this game was because this is a celebration of 20 years of Sonic. It was a real fitting time to do it. He’s really well loved. Let’s see how Generations does. You can never say never in this industry, but at the moment there are no plans.”

Plasma

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
99% chance SEGA takes the wrong lesson from this.

Clearly more people pre-ordered because they love new sonic so much, if it was just old sonic the game would have bombed.

That sort of lesson you mean?

I was all set to get the PC version, but after Renegade Ops fucked up so hard, I'm not willing to trust SEGA's PC ports until I've heard from a lot of people that it's fine.

I'm not one of them.

I want proof sega have made a good sonic game this time. After 15 years of which the best that could be said about one is "average".

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Good to hear. The game looks pretty good (or at least better than the shit Sega's been serving up the last decade). Hopefully they'll keep Classic Sonic around, and make more 2D games with Mega Drive-inspired levels (Sonic 4 doesn't count).

Teknoman

Sir_Crocodile said:
I'm not one of them.

I want proof sega have made a good sonic game this time. After 15 years of which the best that could be said about one is "average".

Did you have fun with the most recent demo?
Have you watched the majority of videos from City Escape, Sky Sancutary, Chemical Planet, and liked what you saw?

If so, then theres proof. Also Sonic Colors was good.

Zen

Banned
Rapture said:
This is what i expect.

Coincidence that this game also has 1991 Sonic and you don't play as any of his friends? i think not.

I think Sega has got the message that we don't like playing as his friends. Everything post Sonic 2006 has been Sonic only, hasn't it.

Also Sonic 4 Episode I sold over 1 million copies, even though it's more of a remix, I think that and Generations sends a strong message to Sega.

Levyne

Banned
Looks good, but I can't fathom dropping 60 for a Sonic game, unless theres some real good pre-order promotion going on.

Will probably wait until its 35 $ or 19.99 in 18 months

Plasma said:
Clearly more people pre-ordered because they love new sonic so much, if it was just old sonic the game would have bombed.

That sort of lesson you mean?
I mean, if they add another friend in there to play as, surely pre-orders would get even better.

Khold said:
Looks good, but I can't fathom dropping 60 for a Sonic game, unless theres some real good pre-order promotion going on.

It's available for USD 29.99 on the PC.

Zen

Banned
Khold said:

You can buy it for 30 dollars on PC. That's the version I am getting and I'll be using remote joy to use my PS3 controller.

Teknoman said:
Did you have fun with the most recent demo?
Have you watched the majority of videos from City Escape, Sky Sancutary, Chemical Planet, and liked what you saw?

Not in a position to be able to try the demo.

The 3D sections look the same old rubbish, leagues behind sonic adventure where they were ten years ago. It's 2D I'm interested in, and I'll wait for feedback on the retail version from people I trust before any purchase.

Teknoman said:
If so, then theres proof. Also Sonic Colors was good.

No, it was average. If it didn't have sonic branding few would have given it a second look.

Effect

Honestly I'm still confused by the lack of a Wii version. The one system where Sonic has been the most successful this generation. The system that arguably has the most Sonic fans or at least people most receptive to him regardless of game quality. I know there is a 3DS game (which could be the Wii version just changed to the 3DS in the end, who knows) but still. So they have a certain vision for the console version... okay. Does that make sense financially though considering the success they've had with Sonic on the Wii?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I actually cancelled my pre-order because of the demo. Game looks amazing in screenshots, but when playing the art direction is such a clusterfuck I can't tell the difference between background and enemies until I suddenly find myself losing all my rings. :mad: I really wanted to like this, but it's just too visually busy.

*goes back to playing Sonic Colors*

Effect said:
Honestly I'm still confused by the lack of a Wii version. The one system where Sonic has been the most successful this generation. The system that arguably has the most Sonic fans or at least people most receptive to him regardless of game quality. I know there is a 3DS game (which could be the Wii version just changed to the 3DS in the end, who knows) but still. So they have a certain vision for the console version... okay. Does that make sense financially though considering the success they've had with Sonic on the Wii?

Nope, but this is Sega so... yeah. :/

RurouniZel said:
I actually cancelled my pre-order because of the demo. Game looks amazing in screenshots, but when playing the art direction is such a clusterfuck I can't tell the difference between background and enemies until I suddenly find myself losing all my rings. :mad: I really wanted to like this, but it's just too visually busy.

That's kind of what I got out of it as well. It did look nice and the nostalgia factor shines, but I cannot say I actually had any fun playing it.

iavi

Sir_Crocodile said:
I'm not one of them.

The last playable demo was great, released reviews have been positive+ (8+), released videos have shown that Sega is actually giving the fans their all in this one(Remixes from obscure games and all), and nearly all of the media outlets that have yet to review it have been praising it. (Previews, I know, but still)

If that's not enough to convince you pre-release, I really don't know what is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sega playing the nostalgia card worked very well. It even worked on me until I was informed that the 3D levels comprise the vast majority of the game.

Miri said:
The last playable demo was great, released reviews have been positive+ (8+), released videos have shown that Sega is actually giving the fans their all in this one(Remixes from obscure games and all), and nearly all of the media outlets that have yet to review it have been praising it. (Previews, I know, but still)

If that's not enough to convince you pre-release, I really don't know what is.

If 2D was perfect from the first demo & 3D was an improved adventure engine I may have bit.

Failing that I have to wait until release to find out how good 2D is since I'll essentially be paying to play half a game and I'd rather that half were very good.

Azure J

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade thing is a really nice touch. I might have to make it out there to see it since the first one I went to had the debut of the "Classic" Sonic balloon.

As for the game, I hope all the publicity makes SEGA realize that this is the best direction for Sonic and they should do things accordingly with the franchise now. Seems like after Unleashed, they really hit their stride and are attempting to stick to the direction they've set for themselves. That was the only thing holding them back in that past imo.

On the no Wii version thing: dumb move yeah, but can you blame the? The game is made with their Hedgehog Engine, something that even the current consoles struggle with in places (compromising framerates for dat global illumination). Wii no doubt would have gotten the game with such a massive following from all the previous Sonic games on the console and also being the home to the game most people champion as the best of modern Sonic in Colors, but that wasn't in the cards due to the system, something everyone's accepted since 07. Now, why there hasn't been any news on a Wii U "deluxe" version or even just a port since the system can more than handle it is a mystery. It's too early to call in that direction though.

iavi

onQ123 said:
has any other Sonic game ever been released on this many platforms at the same time?

This is only releasing on 4 platforms, including the PC. Heroes was released on... 3... Yeah, this is the most, I think.

Sir_Crocodile said:
If 2D was perfect from the first demo & 3D was an improved adventure engine I may have bit.

Failing that I have to wait until release to find out how good 2D is since I'll essentially be paying to play half a game and I'd rather that half were very good.

Do you really want another Adventure styled Sonic after 2006?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
onQ123 said:
has any other Sonic game ever been released on this many platforms at the same time?

Sonic Heroes was released for Gamecube, PS2, Xbox and PC at the same time IIRC.

Edit: nvm, PC version was released after the console versions

FoneBone

Combichristoffersen said:
Sonic Heroes was released for Gamecube, PS2, Xbox and PC at the same time IIRC.
GC version actually came out a few weeks before the others (at least in the US), and I don't think the PC version came out until quite a while later.
Miri said:
This is only releasing on 4 platforms, including the PC. Heroes was released on... 3... Yeah, this is the most, I think.
Unleashed was on 4 platforms, too.

Miri said:
Do you really want another Adventure styled Sonic after 2006?

I would hope for improved over adventure, not massively regressed.

I know it's somewhat of an ask of Sega, but I'm vastly tired of on-rails drivel.

Top Bottom