• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q3 Rapup 2015: It's Finally Out, What a Time to be Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

hSsYt.png

Good Albums at a Price

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – DS2 is the culmination of Future's opiated nihilist fueled run, and despite a few lackluster bonus tracks it proves to be arguably his most potent and concentrated effort solidifying all of the attributes which set him apart from all the other Atlanta trap rappers while concealing most of his weaknesses.

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – While she's undeniably technically proficient as a rapper I think Little Simz' strength is her ability to elicit empathy and melancholy in her songwriting, which in less deft hands could easily come across as overbearing and pedantic.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – Milo retains his incredibly daft and intricate wordplay, while utilizing a greater variety of flows and shying away from the monotonous, nonchalant near spoken-word tone of his past.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Duckwrth has such a knack for song making that he's able to seamlessly employ various styles and characteristics from other genres to make for an incredibly varied and infectious pop-rap album that never settles in one spot or place, but never sounds messy.

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good - Chris' subtle humor and subdued yet often poignant social commentaries are on full display with this album, which is deceptively deep and thought provoking under its veil of sarcasm and irony.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – Lil Ugly Mane pretty much doesn't make bad beats and when combined with the unadulterated in your face aggressiveness of Nickelus F the end result is something that is dynamically grimey and hard.

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good - While there's not much in the way in terms of true collaboration or transformation the artists definitely glimmer like two big bright stars enough to make it hard to look away. If What a Time to be Alive were a meal it'd be something predictable yet extravagant like butter poached lobster and Ahi Tuna where the two elements don't really come together to form a single dish yet each single entree is undeniably delicious on its own.

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
Consequence of Sound
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – Rock displays just enough versatility to keep the album from completely stagnating while capitalizing on the rubric in album structures set by his fellow label-mates and utilizing his their skill-sets in features to help round out and flavor his somewhat static, traditional sound. The result is an album that is a bit more down-tempo than expected, akin to the tone of Cilvia Demo, though Rock is a bit less fluid on the mic.

Sample Song
NPR Review
Needledrop Review
Consequence of Sound Review
What's Really Good – Continuing on the chilled out ambivalence of Watching Movies with the Sound Off Mac drops an album that is one of his modest and heartfelt yet, though just ever slightly more positive than his major debut.

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good - If Scott is a blatant ripoff artist who bears his influences on his sleeve, Rodeo has to be one of his most accomplished hacks yet. Furthermore, what's most interesting about it is that unlike other copycats he at least has the decency to invite his victims back to his house and let them contribute to the works he's stolen. All jokes aside some of the songs manage to conjure up enough of the magic from the source material in which they're taken to be successful, and it must admittedly take some school to be able to nab the melodies of Future and Swae Lee and in the next instance imitate the cadence of Kanye.
H.M.

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good - T.I. gets back to the uptempo hard-edged style that made him so alluring in the first place, and the EP proves to be one of the most consistently hard-hitting efforts he's put forth in years, shame it's only an EP.

QUARTER ONE LINK
QUARTER TWO LINK

HiResDes

hSsYt.png

Got It For Cheap

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – While the group seems to excel at traditional rapping what really makes this tape special is when they start operating outside of the box, which occurs rather sporadically and spontaneously and really helps elevate this album from just a good modern boom-bap offering to something more special and less quantifiable.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Vic Spencer brings his usual off-kilter aggressive boom bap style to the table but the varied and densely layered production forces him to dig deeper into his bag of tracks and Ill Legit's more relaxed delivery help soften the harsh edges of Spencer's somewhat abrasive style.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Usually when you hear a gangsta rap tape there will always be these big breaks in character to try and show a softer side, allude to a desire to change, or create something for the ladies (or radio). $ha Hef is unabashedly set in his ways and in portraying thug life in the most accurate and blunt fashion. In turn the pure savage nature of his descriptions and grimy atmosphere that he sets up gives subtle hints that his life isn't exactly anything to boast about, but at the same time he refuses to relent and buries his psyche in this super villain role as a refuge against the tragic, brutal nature of his work. He's aware and then willfully deluded in the next second.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – It's less of a concentrated, cohesive effort in comparison to Barter, which is to be expected considering it's a compilation of leaked/stolen tracks; however, Thug's biggest hits and highs are all on display in full here even if Slime Season doesn't really work as a album, but rather a collection of highlights.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Recently there's been a lot of great British rappers emerging who are eschewing the typical grime rap style and subject matter and I think Danny along with Little Simz are great examples. Danny Seth IIRC is OVO affiliated and the fact that they're interested in him should inform you a little of his sound, he's has boastful and cocky delivery of a southern rapper and the ability to extrapolate vowels and syllables for effect over wavy sounds, which seems to be a necessity to get attention from OVO.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – The production invokes memories of film-noir and darkjazz, while the verses sport this cool ambivalent chill to them.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – I'm not even a huge fan of YG, but this tape is an undeniable west-coast banger with that soulful flair from the incredible Cookin' Soul collective, who seemingly can't lose these days.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – When it's at its most evocative the nihilism and lost subject matter is unparallelled.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Quentin Miller displays all of the clever wordplay and chorus crafting that you'd expect from someone who allegedly ghost writes for superstar Drake, oh and Cardo is most definitely at the top of his game here.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – 2 Chainz has made enough hits and been in the game long enough that he could just coast on by utilizing the same flows and same trap formulas, yet judging by this tape it's evident that he's still experimenting with different flows and ways to subvert the trap lane in which he's been pigeonholed

Sample Song
What's Really Good – The raw emotion of Herb's fierce delivery is on full display, which helps transcend these traditional beat raps, into something more honestly reflective of the moribund trap lifestyle.

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – It seems like Ross is less into perpetrating and telling rap fables of life as a crime boss now that he's realized all of the relishes and lavish life accessories that one would only hope to acquire as a crime lord, and like he's graduated to a more mature and passive rap persona who's boasts now are mostly grounded in reality over beats that would be more home at an urban yacht party than on a drive to re-up from the plug.

(It's Available in much better quality on iTunes)
Sample Song
What's Really Good - Sounds like heydey Zaytoven and Gucci Mane esque southern trap with a modern flair.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – This the type of album where the rapper is able to not only reveal all of his inner demons quite thoroughly but also subsequently summon those same demons to add a shit ton of personality to his album. Resin it at its best when Bill gets personal.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – When he stays within his comfort zone Scotty is able to craft some warm soulful, yet banging southern rap music.

see5harp

Nice list. The non straightforward rap songs on the Mac Miller album are probably my favorites on the album. I do like when he gets cocky. Hadn't done that so much in the past but the "shut yo motherfucking mouth bitch, fuck yo mother fucking couch bitch" part in When in Rome gets me hype as fuck.

I feel like Future does have some really standout tracks on both Dirty Sprite 2 and the Drake collabo, but he really makes it hard to stick with an entire album. From The Gutter is one of my favorite tracks overall but Future says some of the dumbest shit ever. Like really dude you hang out with kidnappers?

Travis Scott has some of my favorite production of the year, but I feel like dude makes songs way too complicated. Just make another song bro. Some of the songs with dramatic change ups instead of a bridge just feel like changes for the sake of changes. Also dude sounds like Kid Cudi on like half of these tracks.

Fjordson

Good stuff. The Injury Reserve tape and that new Milo are maybe my favourites out of all this. Both are great.

Going to have to check out that YG tape. Not usually a big fan, but the cover alone is dope lol.

Fjordson

Fuck this DRWN. X Spencer Joles EP is right up my alley. Good verses and super chill production. Major props for posting this.

IrishNinja

damn, was just dreamin' bout this post too...haven't hit up a lot here, so many blessings in 2015...bookmarked to make sure i don't sleep when AOTY list time comes

*edit DAMMIT JACE

see5harp

I feel like I understand the production. The cadence and flow in a song like Digital Dash is pretty appealing to even a hater like myself. Drake gets on the track and actually sounds a little boring with his short ass verse. But he very rarely has a bunch of songs like that in sequence. I do think he's really improved his overall sound and choice of beats since his first few albums but I could say the same thing about a guy like 2 Chainz. I don't think I've ever thought of him as being introspective. There doesn't seem to be much thought behind most of his raps. It sounds like he just does the Gucci Mane thing and shows up and records 5 songs in a night.

HiResDes

While I agree that there's this other side to Future's lyrics on Dirty Sprite 2 sort of lurking in the shadows of his excessive vice touting, it's mostly opaque when he's most successful because in my opinion because when he does decide to be more forthcoming as Blood on the Money we realize how shallow and inconsequential his problems are and the veil of mystery around the character portrayed on DS2 is lost, stifling a big part of its allure.

No lies detected and yet I cannot deny the potency of those first like eight tracks.
Agreed for sure, jams breh
I guess. But Future isn't 2 Chainz. He goes some really dark, introspective places on DS2.
His introspective stuff does nothing for me
While I agree that there's this other side to Future's lyrics on Dirty Sprite 2 sort of lurking in the shadows of his excessive vice touting, it's mostly opaque when he's most successful because in my opinion when he does decide to be more forthcoming as Blood on the Money will realize how shallow and inconsequential his problems are and the veil of mystery around the character portrayed on DS2 is a big part of its allure.
100% true

Good stuff.

lol @ you talking about you don't think your taste is as representative of the norm anymore, but you still have DS2 atop the retail list. Des pls. One of us, one of us, one of us

HiResDes

Good stuff.

lol @ you talking about you don't think your taste is as representative of the norm anymore, but you still have DS2 atop the retail list. Des pls. One of us, one of us, one of us
The only reason I didn't place Little Simz over it is because I only listened to it twice, it's only going to grow on me I suspect.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I liked WATTBA, but I couldn't fuck with DS2 at all.

To Pimp a Butterfly still AotY.
Until SWISH comes out.

HiResDes

I liked WATTBA, but I couldn't fuck with DS2 at all.

To Pimp a Butterfly still AotY.
Until SWISH comes out.

That's nuts to me, DS2 is just like all of the strong points of WATTBA with fewer lows. Also SWISH probably ain't coming out this year, but remember this is just how I see one quarter.

I feel like you covered most everything of note but if we're digging....

BONES' Banshee could've been slotted in the free list somewhere tbh. I think it's one of his best tapes.

Currensy's Cathedral EP is a solid mid-list free entry.

Not sure how you feel about the Big Boi/Phantogram EP but I'm sure someone somewhere is complaining that you left it off.

I'm 85% sure you're just fishing for some Compton snub anger though
BpL4EsW.jpg

Barzul

Great list will check out later or pick some random ones for the community the to work. I'm guessing the pics are links? Or how else to get the album names for the ones that are less obvious.

FZZ

Banned
Fantastic compilation and great write ups as well

Rodeo at 10 tho smh. Album is at least number 2.

HiResDes

Great list will check out later or pick some random ones for the community the to work. I'm guessing the pics are links? Or how else to get the album names for the ones that are less obvious.

The pics are always links of some sort.

Thanks man, I always find some cool stuff I hadn't heard yet when you make these threads. Good picks with the $ha Hef and Da$h, and I'm checking out Reese (who I haven't heard of) right now.

HiResDes

Thanks for the love everyone, I always act like I'm gonna stop, but the truth is that they help me as well. MUCH LOVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom