• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Ouendan! Ouendan is Awesome! One Year Anniversary Thread

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ouendanbanner.jpg

It has been a year since Ouendan came out on the DS, and now that the thread that started it all has passed 1,000 posts I thought it was time for a fresh start. Welcome to the Ossu! Tatakae Ouendan! One Year Anniversary Thread! This is where people can continue to post impressions about the game and more people can learn about it. Though if you don't like Ouendan and have nothing constructive to say about it, please leave.

About the game:
Basically Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan! ("Hey! Fight! Cheer Squad!") is one of those rare games that uses the touch-screen only to play the game, and actually does it well. This game would not be the same on a standard controller. The sound quality isn't CD quality obviously since it's on the DS, but it quite better then that the low-quality MIDIs used in many DS games. In the game you go through levels with a cheer squad, which are common in Japan, and you help people who need it. When people shout, "OUENDAN!" you start this rhythm-action game where you have to tap, spin, and trace you way through the levels, and do it well enough to reach the end without dying. But this isn't as easy as it sounds, as you tap these circles that appear on the screen you have to wait for an outer ring to close in on the circle before you tap it. You will definitely get a challenge out of this game through the four levels of difficulty available, especially in the final Cheer Girls mode.

Recent Message from Keiichi Yano:
Keiichi Yano @ iNiS said:
The staff at iNiS really appreciates everyone's support of our games. Ouendan and EBA [Elite Beat Agents] are very special games for us and we are currently working very hard to make sure it can meet everyone's high expectations. We'll be featuring great stories, great music and great gameplay so stay tuned for Nov. 6th !!

Until then...
Ossu! and GO!
Full article from Chris Kohler (Kobun Heat): Chris Kohler's 1st Anniversary Special

Official Website - Trailer, Wallpapers, etc.
Songs in the Game
Ouendan Rankings
“Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan” Mini-Fansite
- Menu translations, music videos of the original songs, FAQ, fans ripping the game apart.

Ouendan Reviews
Original Songs - Ouendan OST (I hope this is okay, I assumed it would be since they are all Japanese songs and the link was already posted in the other thread).

Import Sites:
Play-Asia
Lik-Sang
NCSX
YesAsia

Multi-Player details (requires two carts)
Multi-Player Videos:
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
Video 5

People and Ouendan:
OUENDAN SCREAM #1
OUENDAN SCREAM #2
Na Rin- Satay Fight Carnival
People in cheering uniforms from the game
Linda Linda done on LIVE stage by people
Touch-screen recreated LIVE for Linda Linda
More LINDA LINDA... not sure what to call this :lol

KONRADpso and his March of the Gifs Anime AMVs, many of which feature songs from Ouendan

And lastly let's not forget about Elite Beat Agents, the English game with all new songs and scenarios but the same great gameplay and style that made Ouendan such a great game. There isn't much out there about it right now, but we do know two songs confirmed to be in the game are Walkie Talkie Man and Highway Star. Livin' la vida loca is also all but confirmed in the scenario with the director from the E3 trailer. The media we've gotten on the game so far:
E3 Trailer
First Scenario (incomplete)
First Scenario without music (complete)
Second Scenario without music (incomplete)
Video Interview up at GameSpot from E3
Interview with Keiichi Yano at N-Sider

WalkMan

Banned
I LOVE THIS GAME. The only part I hate is spinning the fan because I never know which direction but this game is A++++!

What's the verdict on the American version, is it butchered?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ferrio said:
STOP TEMPTING ME!

I want it ... but 20 dollar shipping.... it huurts.
But it's worth it. :D

WalkMan said:
What's the verdict on the American version, is it butchered?
So far, no. Retains the style of the original and iNiS is trying to keep it that way.

Jonnyram

There's some pics of EBA in Famitsu this week (they're touting it as a sequel, and saying fans of the original should definitely import it). It looks just as fun as Ouendan.

Drakken

I've been tempted many times to spend the $40 and import this. I'll hold off a bit longer, but I know I have to get it eventually.

Jonnyram said:
There's some pics of EBA in Famitsu this week (they're touting it as a sequel, and saying fans of the original should definitely import it). It looks just as fun as Ouendan.

link for scans?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Ferrio said:
STOP TEMPTING ME!

I want it ... but 20 dollar shipping.... it huurts.

YesAsia has free international shipping. it's 45 bucks there, free shipping. Goooo for it!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Considering that EBA features totally different songs and completely new storyboards, EBA might as well be considered a sequel.

Drakken

Ah, screw it. Just ordered it for $40.99 shipped from the same person I'm getting Dialhex from on eBay.

*looking forward to much gaming goodness*

Koomaster

Man, I can't wait for November. So much good gaming coming out then, hope that EBA isn't overlooked by the rest of the gaming crowd who haven't experienced Ouendan!

Cathcart

So is there going to be a Japanese release? Like, in Japanese? Cause I like when I have no idea what they're saying and I have to make up the story. That's like half the game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This has got to be the most import-safe game since Jump Superstars (which was never coming out here). In this case, the game is being localized, but it's being completely changed from the original. You can't go wrong importing I think.

keanerie

I just checked out a couple of the songs from this game, and I loved them! The game will be mine in the near future, after my next paycheck - no, after I buy books for the fall semester (read: after I get f'd in the a).

keanerie said:
I just checked out a couple of the songs from this game, and I loved them! The game will be mine in the near future, after my next paycheck - no, after I buy books for the fall semester (read: after I get f'd in the a).

good. welcome to the club. 1000 + members and increasing!

I picked up a DS a few weeks and, having played through NSMB, am totally importing Ounedan as soon as I finish moving.

...although I'm worried that if I import Ouendan, I won't want to buy EBA right away, and EBA needs the sales!

Jonnyram

Greenpanda said:
...although I'm worried that if I import Ouendan, I won't want to buy EBA right away, and EBA needs the sales!
I think three months is more than enough time to get your fill of Ouendan, though I am slightly worried that EBA is not going to sell so well with a November release. It would benefit from being released during a quiet period, in my opinion.

Cherubae

EBA was playable at Nintendo's booth during comic con last week, right along side of FF3 and Mario 3 on 3. I don't believe Nintendo will have any problems selling the game if they're giving it floor publicity. There were plenty of people playing the demo, although it was on 'easy' mode.

Highway Star seemed a little off-beat, but it might have been because I couldn't hear very well. Nintendo had headphones for you to use but it was still loud in the hall. The storyline that goes with Walkie Talkie Man is awesome :lol The pug-gets-lost one that goes with Highway Star wasn't as funny but it was heart-warming anyhow.

Akia

Jonnyram said:
I think three months is more than enough time to get your fill of Ouendan, though I am slightly worried that EBA is not going to sell so well with a November release. It would benefit from being released during a quiet period, in my opinion.

Though completely impossible. EBA should've came out now. DS owners have nothing to buy since Big Brain Academy and it would've got more attention. September->November is crowded with so many big game releases, not to mention PS3/Wii launch. Many potential customers are unfortunatly going to overlook it. Hopefully EBA overcomes these challenges and sells well enough to warrant more iNiS/Nintendo games.

Jonnyram said:
Well, that I didn't expect.

I wonder if this means they'll release EBA in Japan, too.

nfreakct

I've done everything except beat Ready Steady Go! on Cheersquad difficulty. I'm taking a bit of a break from the game.

Elite Beat Agents was pretty awesome at Comic-Con, it was set on the equivalent of beginner difficulty (thus no problem for any Ouendan veteran) but that just allowed me to take in the story and the music. I'm fairly confident that we'll get a pretty kicking soundtrack for it based off the two demo stages.

This game has been a big hit around my office, with people either interested right away due to the visual style, or completely repulsed at first by the music, but later taken by the gameplay (I was in the latter category at first, but I am ****ing hooked now. Though I hope my DS makes it through intact).

Good write up by the way Kobun.

Fabiollo

Kobun Heat said:
Livin' La Vida Loca is definite, by the way. That's the movie director one.

The demo version I tried also had Highway Star (Deep Purple): it was the story of the little dog who comes back home.

Bo130

AWESOME game. Awesome first post - nice collection of links. This game needs to be bought! :p Hope it does better in USA than in Japan, at least.

Btw, on the Ouendan leaderboard, does anyone know of ThomasTruong? His score on Normal -> Pottery is way off, a digit more his actual score, I'd say. I've e-mailed the admins on the site, but no response at all. He's not the only one too.

Otherwise, great site :D. Hope you all enjoy the game.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ouendaaaaaan!

Awesome game and we must continue to make threads about it until every DS owner owns it. :lol

keanerie

Billy Rygar said:
This game has been a big hit around my office, with people either interested right away due to the visual style, or completely repulsed at first by the music, but later taken by the gameplay (I was in the latter category at first, but I am ****ing hooked now. Though I hope my DS makes it through intact).

Does this game actually beat up the touch screen in any noticeable way?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
The screen will only be damaged if you have dust and stuff on the stylus and/or the screen, so keep 'em clean!

scarybore

Oh well, +1 sale as I just ordered it . Can't be bad if it has a L’Arc~en~Ciel song :D

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I did break my DS with Ouendan. In retrospect it was all my fault: I was pushing on the touch screen REALLY REALLY HARD when I did spinners. I no longer do that and there haven't been any incidents. Screen protectors are a scam!

So, remember: when spinning away, a light touch is all that is required!

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Bo130

Deathcraze said:
Oh well, +1 sale as I just ordered it . Can't be bad if it has a L’Arc~en~Ciel song :D

:D Welcome to the cool gang :D :p

Top Bottom