• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

What are opinions on the FF9 banners? Seems like they're both generally being recommended with having decent mage stuff, the second banner in particular with Golem Flute's SB which seems really solid, but it's Unique to Eiko correct? Same with Vivi's Cypress Pile I'm assuming. Is Eiko actually any good? I know Vivi is generally fairly well-regarded.

I have literally no FF9 items so I'm pulling pretty much regardless. Banner 1 seems decent but Banner 2 seems a bit better. Unless I decide to buy gems for the half-off pull and keep the free 25 mythril I won't have enough to do pulls on both, and that probably wouldn't be the best idea anyway (I'm at like 49 mythril right now). Thoughts?

Or maybe I'll get lucky on my 100-gem pulls.

ahahahahaha

I am considering hitting up on of the IX banners as well.

I have (almost) three hundred Mythril, so I am still well covered to take an Eleven Pull on each day of the next Soul Break Celebration.

WarAdept

What are opinions on the FF9 banners? Seems like they're both generally being recommended with having decent mage stuff, the second banner in particular with Golem Flute's SB which seems really solid, but it's Unique to Eiko correct? Same with Vivi's Cypress Pile I'm assuming. Is Eiko actually any good? I know Vivi is generally fairly well-regarded.

I have literally no FF9 items so I'm pulling pretty much regardless. Banner 1 seems decent but Banner 2 seems a bit better. Unless I decide to buy gems for the half-off pull and keep the free 25 mythril I won't have enough to do pulls on both, and that probably wouldn't be the best idea anyway (I'm at like 49 mythril right now). Thoughts?

Or maybe I'll get lucky on my 100-gem pulls.

ahahahahaha

I think in Japan, there hasn't been such a heavy mage orientated banner since this one. Banner 2 in particular has 5 pieces of amazing mage gear (comparatively nearly all other banners only have 1-2 good pieces), so if you need some for Mage Meta, now is the time to pull. I, myself and going to go hard on Banner 2 because I need my mages up to scruff (and it helps that IX characters, especially Vivi are my favourites).

Eiko is a good white mage but lacks variety compared to someone like Aeris or Y'shtola (or Mog/Relm once they get the ball rolling with new abilities/gets released). The latter characters just have a lot more choice.

I have plenty of mage meta stuff at this point so I'll be passing on this banner, double that half my 5 star mage gear is IX synergy anyways :X

WarAdept

100 gem yields me a 3* glove.

*shakes fist

I wonder how much I've burnt on this game. I'm sure all these 100 gem pulls adds up real quick.

100 gem pull, 4 star crystal sword, in the junk pile unfortunately

50 pull...two rainbows....two eiko hypnocrowns! not what I was shooting for, a retaliate weapon, but hey, now I have two pretty potent mage armors. before my best non rs mage armor was the freebie witch hat or a 5 star bangle which I prefer to use on my attackers. I'm thinking I won't combine them until I get something similar for another realm.

Also finished my 4++empyrean rod, so there's that as well I guess.

Am I crazy for considering using the free 25 mythril on another 50 pull on the second banner (hell maybe the first again) and skipping the black friday half price pull? I don't need random relics, I need a retaliate weapon for IX. OTOH It is another chance for Clouds SSB (and maybe squalls?) hmm.

WarAdept

100 gem pull, 4 star crystal sword, in the junk pile unfortunately

50 pull...two rainbows....two eiko hypnocrowns! not what I was shooting for, a retaliate weapon, but hey, now I have two pretty potent mage armors. before my best non rs mage armor was the freebie witch hat or a 5 star bangle which I prefer to use on my attackers. I'm thinking I won't combine them until I get something similar for another realm.

Also finished my 4++empyrean rod, so there's that as well I guess.

Am I crazy for considering using the free 25 mythril on another 50 pull on the second banner (hell maybe the first again) and skipping the black friday half price pull? I don't need random relics, I need a retaliate weapon for IX. OTOH It is another chance for Clouds SSB (and maybe squalls?) hmm.

I think RS is more important than a SSB. But you're going to have a rough time trying to pull a Coral/Defender Sword I reckon.

MrDaravon

100 gem pull got me a FFV 3* Elven Bow. I already have a 4* FFV Killer Bow, 2 4* FFV Hayate Bows, and that's on top of 3 or 4 other FFV bows I've already sold or scrapped. This fucking game.

This is my 9th 100 gem pull, I've gotten 8 3* and 1 4* items from the 9 pulls. I mean granted the 4* was the FF1 Defender sword which is at least okay, but holy shit. The odds of a 5* from the regular (not free daily) pulls is roughly 10% right?

Balphon

Zidane's ability set makes no sense.

This is my 9th 100 gem pull, I've gotten 8 3* and 1 4* items from the 9 pulls. I mean granted the 4* was the FF1 Defender sword which is at least okay, but holy shit. The odds of a 5* from the regular (not free daily) pulls is roughly 10% right?

12% now, I think.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you've been playing a long time, is there even a reason to keep the Mythril dagger/Brigadine that they give you in the event now? Or is that just upgrade trash.

MicH

If you've been playing a long time, is there even a reason to keep the Mythril dagger/Brigadine that they give you in the event now? Or is that just upgrade trash.
Brigadine can become a 5* item if you collect three of them so that's good, especially if you don't have a lot of IX armor. The knife is useless imo

WarAdept

The Oak Staff is calling me.

Must resist temptation to drop 50 mithril.

It's all needed for SSSSSB! (How many banners is the next celebration anyway? 6?)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brigadine can become a 5* item if you collect three of them so that's good, especially if you don't have a lot of IX armor. The knife is useless imo
Ah yeah, I just made it 5*... but the optomize button doesn't even use it, so I guess my natural 5s are better.

I think RS is more important than a SSB. But you're going to have a rough time trying to pull a Coral/Defender Sword I reckon.

I think I'll do 5 or 6 pulls on the new banner and go ahead with lucky. I am tempted to do a full 11 and pay for the lucky pull. Decisions decisions.

Ah yeah, I just made it 5*... but the optomize button doesn't even use it, so I guess my natural 5s are better.

With synergy the brigandine 3++ stats are 123/119 def/res, that will be higher than any non rs armor you have unles you have a 5+ or 5++ it may not even then. Guessing it is giving you a shared sb armor, that is the priority for optimize.

Jyrii

Banned
Is there any use for Bonecrusher?

I hate that optimize always adds it. Would have sold it ages ago if it wasn't a 4* skill.

I hate that optimize always adds it. Would have sold it ages ago if it wasn't a 4* skill.

Seems like it hits hard. Only reason I don't use it is because I haven't honed it, and I haven't honed it because I need those orbs for other things. Does anybody know if the self-inflicted damage counts against medals?

"Optimize is a lie" should be part of the tutorial.

I hate that it prefers weapons with non-unique soul breaks over better weapons. If my first slot character can use swords optimize will always give them witch hat and blizzard sword, even thought it makes no sense. And it gives mages the healing rod instead of rods with better mag, because again soul break.

I hate it when the game changes boss status vulnerabilities between event and dungeon (even if these changes can sometimes be handy). I nearly bought sleep for Scarlet hair thinking it was the like the dungeon version. Nope, event version can't be put to sleep.

So reading what is up in Japan it seems we are now entering the era where collaboration events give MC2 and dress records. Will the West keep skipping these? Its not good enough to take some of the relics and stick them in a celebration banner if it is now about more than relics (the MC situation is all kind of shitty, I feel for anyone with Mog or Edward's relics
I have Firion myself though I'm not usre if I'd even use him
). At least we're getting the ability to craft all the abilities released in these now.

You can stick it onto a core character and then never use remove all on non-party member to avoid the optimise. Apart from that wait until ability breakdown comes in so you can trash it for some free 4* orbs.

I suppose if you like minus strike the recoil might be a good thing but it seems really risky for little reward.

3* Heavy Armor for FF3 from 100 Gem, about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

This event seems much better than the last one - no filler stages and the last battle is only 1 round too!

The next event in Japan is for FFV, but it's a collaboration event with a Japan only mobile game, meaning we probably will not see it, and it comes with a ton of new stuff (SSBs, Dress Records, Abilities, etc.) that we'll have to fret over if/when we'll get them. :/

They really need to figure out a better way to deal with this for the Global version.

Razmos

The next event in Japan is for FFV, but it's a collaboration event with a Japan only mobile game, meaning we probably will not see it, and it comes with a ton of new stuff (SSBs, Dress Records, Abilities, etc.) that we'll have to fret over if/when we'll get them. :/

They really need to figure out a better way to deal with this for the Global version.
It also comes with this:
A 5*Spellblade ability - "Tornado sword" - 2x Wind element physical damage to ALL enemies
and Waterga Strike too

So we probably won't get that for a long, long time.

Razmos

Finally mastered the Edea fight after multiple attempts of her killing one of my party members when I was about to kill her, or her dispelling my reflect literally just as I was trying to bounce a spell off my character back on to her.

The major power orbs were worth it, probably. Not too happy about having 40 giant scarletite taking up all my inventory, here's hoping I get some good stuff from the Lucky Draw to use them on.

Falk

that puzzling face
Zidane looks fine.

He's okay if you take the time to mentally sort out the jumble of pixels that are his arms. :(

edit: Thought I'd try a pro Tyro strat for Amarant farming.

GyUpTJIl.jpg

Turns out Tyro hits for 1500 without Advance and is nowhere close to writing home about even with Advance

It took a while for Amarant to die

Jyrii

Banned
He's okay if you take the time to mentally sort out the jumble of pixels that are his arms. :(

edit: Thought I'd try a pro Tyro strat for Amarant farming.

GyUpTJIl.jpg

Turns out Tyro hits for 1500 without Advance and is nowhere close to writing home about even with Advance

It took a while for Amarant to die

Why not use Gilgamesh? And why is Tyro in the back row?

Why not use Gilgamesh?
I assume Falk is fighting Scarlet hair (1 round 20 stamina, may drop greater fire orb) who jumps to the back at random. When in the back they count as ranged and Gilgamesh can't equip thrown, blitzball, gambling, guns, mega buster* or bows.
Did I miss out any ranged weapon types?

I had to do that fight twice as I lost too many medals trying with mage meta some of which was bad equipment choices (I think its stats are a bit beefier than its dungeon counterpart too) and some of which was boss just loitering in the front for too long (where it counters attacks including magic for non-trivial amounts of damage).

*-Or whatever Barret Tyro only gun is called.

Jyrii

Banned
Ah totally forgot Tyro can use everything.

My Gilgamesh run was pretty annoying. Basically my two mages beat him down, but ran out of skills. Then I waited and waited and waited for him to come closer. Then quick advance + retaliate and he was almost down. Swapped back to back row before dying though.

Got master.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah honestly speaking you might as well use 3 mages, Zidane (medals) and Gilgamesh. Only reason Gilgamesh or Tyro is there is to nullify counter damage while you wail on him with pure mage meta.

"Pure" although he's break resistant and has insane RES

firehawk12

Subete no aware
WTF is it with Dark Bahamut. A Megaflare at the start of battle with no way to even defend against it? What are they thinking?

WarAdept

Can I just say that having the last battle of the event just be a boss is great!

As for Scarlet Hair himself, I noticed he only used physical attacks and that he only switches between near and far if he actually gets a hit off.

Gilgamesh with Draw Fire and Retaliate and I hasted him with Garnet. The idiot killed himself. Reminds me of Shiva from the XIII event when they would spam that 4 hit wheel attack. God I love physical only bosses.

WTF is it with Dark Bahamut. A Megaflare at the start of battle with no way to even defend against it? What are they thinking?

Caught me by surprise as well, but I brought a decently high RES team at the time by accident, so I was able to power through it.

Keep in mind, AFAIK, there's 2 fights that are gear checks like this.

Dark Bahamut and
Ogopogo. Fuck this asshat. Double Deluge opener my ass.

Falk

that puzzling face
As for Scarlet Hair himself, I noticed he only used physical attacks and that he only switches between near and far if he actually gets a hit off.

Been farming him and I can safely say that's not the case, if not completely random.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
With synergy the brigandine 3++ stats are 123/119 def/res, that will be higher than any non rs armor you have unles you have a 5+ or 5++ it may not even then. Guessing it is giving you a shared sb armor, that is the priority for optimize.
That must be it. I kind of wish it was smarter, or just let you choose whether to prioritize RS or SBs.

Caught me by surprise as well, but I brought a decently high RES team at the time by accident, so I was able to power through it.

Keep in mind, AFAIK, there's 2 fights that are gear checks like this.

Dark Bahamut and
Ogopogo. Fuck this asshat. Double Deluge opener my ass.
I barely beat it with tons of S/L, retameta, and losing 3 characters. Yeesh. lol
They could at least warn you before you waste 80 stamina just to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom