• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth May Have Formed Earlier Than 92% Of Other Habitable Planets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coins

Banned
http://www.iflscience.com/space/earth-may-have-formed-earlier-92-other-habitable-planets

The reason we haven’t heard from any other intelligent life in the universe remains a perplexing problem, known as the Fermi Paradox, considering how abundant planets are thought to be. What if, though, Earth was simply incredibly early onto the scene? What if we are among the first sentient life in the universe?

That’s a theory proposed by new research, using data from the Hubble and Kepler space telescopes, which suggests that 92% of potentially habitable planets in the universe are yet to be born. Based on the slowing rate of star formation, but the huge amounts of interstellar dust and gas remaining, researchers at the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Maryland suggest that the vast majority of Earth-like worlds that will ever exist simply haven’t formed yet.

“Compared to all the planets that will ever form in the universe, the Earth is actually quite early,” study co-author Peter Behroozi of STScI said in a statement.

Well that's interesting.

sphinx

the piano man
I am sure they have an argument but I have no Idea how they back it up. Beats me

how can we know "we are early on in existence"??

what is late and early in all of this?? Is there a set time when Dark Energy will beat Gravity and the end of everything will take place?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
DGIzP49.gif

Guevara

We're the old ones. We're the ancients. We're the creepy alien dudes.

We're going to spook the fuck out of younger civilizations one day.

I feel like we should not be squandering our head start. We need to develop FTL space travel, advanced starships, energy weapons, planet-destroying weapons of mass destruction, and get out there conquering the galaxy while everyone else is still too primitive to resist us. The Imperium of Man will rise!

I am sure they have an argument but I have no Idea who they back it up. Beats me

what is late and early in all of this?? Is there a set time when Dark Energy will beat Gravity and the end of everything will take place?

Based on the slowing rate of star formation, but the huge amounts of interstellar dust and gas remaining, researchers at the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Maryland suggest that the vast majority of Earth-like worlds that will ever exist simply haven’t formed yet.

Kind of gives the reasoning right there in the OP. I'm pretty sure we have hell of a long way to go before the universe implodes.

Crayon

It says the that 92% of the fertile window of planet formation is ahead of us, but also says that the rate of planet formation has slowed. Which I guess would mean we're in the most fertile period. So the author may have not understood the subject or was maybe just hasty trying to make an interesting read.

The reason aliens don't visit is they broke too. That's what came back on the arecibo antenna. "bitch we broke".

I am sure they have an argument but I have no Idea who they back it up. Beats me

Um, if you really care you could just read the study...

Protein

Banned
So Halo, Prometheus, and pretty much every other sci-fi movie is based on us. I knew we were better than everyone else.

Scotch

The universe is 13.7 billion years old, but that's relatively young when you consider that our sun has been around for about a third of that, and the expected death of the universe is not for another trillion years or something.

I've always wondered about that... what if we are the most advanced society in the Universe? I mean, it's unlikely, but somebody's gotta be it. Might as well be us!

I have a hard time believing that in 14 billion years a 4.5 billion year old planet is one of only a handful of places with habitable life, especially seeing as life began on earth approx 1 billion years into it's life cycle.

Not sure what data they are using to come to this 92% though.

I've always wondered about that... what if we are the most advanced society in the Universe? I mean, it's unlikely, but somebody's gotta be it. Might as well be us!

That would be sad as it would mean nobody has discovered FTL space travel yet and are all trapped in their home star systems.

Scotch

I have a hard time believing that in 14 billion years a 4.5 billion year old planet is one of only a handful of places with habitable life, especially seeing as life began on earth approx 1 billion years into it's life cycle.

Just because we would be among the first 8%, doesn't mean there's only a handful of habitable places.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Pretty cool, elder race yeahYEAH.

That being said, even if this theory is 100% accurate and 92% of Hospitable planets haven't even formed yet, it still means there are... what... trillions? Of H-congrous planets that probably beat us to the punch. Probably a few other dudes out there who would think we were cute with our trips to the moon.

Hattori

Banned
we can't even solve race relations, we are very very far from being an advance society

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The 8% are coming

KarmaCow

The article is kinda misleading. The paper says that there are far more Earth-like planets yet to be formed in the future, not that Earth formed earlier than most existing Earth-like planets. Compared to existing planets, the paper even says the Earth formed pretty late, after 80% had already formed.

It's more of an argument against the idea that we're possibly the last civilization in the universe.

N.Domixis

Banned

Millions and probably billions of life forms have evolved on this planet and only one civilization arose from it. In other words we are the universe's nerds.

GodTier

Banned
We're the old ones. We're the ancients. We're the creepy alien dudes.

We're going to spook the fuck out of younger civilizations one day.

This actually makes a lot of sense considering what we know if ancient extraterrestrial civilization, they always lead to they're own self destruction...

Seriously this is very exciting because if other extraterrestrial do exist they are likely near as they would likely need similar galactic environmental factors to survive. It really narrows where and how far we have to look.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So..... We are the Gods/Ancients/First Ones/Prometheans/Reapers/Hutts/Hipsters of the universe?
SWEET!

Nah, we could just comparatively old. If let's say of all habitable planets that have been and ever will be, 1% of them end up having life on them, there would still be a basically uncountable number of planets with life on them. Let's say of that, 1% of them end up being smart and doing shit like we do - still just a huge number. And lets say of that, only 8% of these actually exist yet. I couldn't even guess this number.

Universe is -really- big guys.

rrc1594

OMG we are the Ancient Aliens!

Nah, we could just comparatively old. If let's say of all habitable planets that have been and ever will be, 1% of them end up having life on them, there would still be a basically uncountable number of planets with life on them. Let's say of that, 1% of them end up being smart and doing shit like we do - still just a huge number. And lets say of that, only 8% of these actually exist yet. I couldn't even guess this number.

Universe is -really- big guys.

Yeah I think if we put the universe in a 12 month calendar we would be born on the last day of December.

Diablos

Ugh. Every time I read these threads I am reminded of how vast the universe is. When you think about the Observable Universe it makes you realize how microscopic we are. We're not even a grain of fucking sand.

Even if this planet formed earlier than 92% of other habitable planets, I sincerely doubt we're the most advanced lifeforms to be found.

Just because we're still alone doesn't mean we really are; it's probably by mere luck that no other intelligent forms of life have found us yet. Again... not even a grain of sand.

SkyOdin

I am sure they have an argument but I have no Idea how they back it up. Beats me

The universe is 13.7 billion years old, but that's relatively young when you consider that our sun has been around for about a third of that, and the expected death of the universe is not for another trillion years or something.

Timeline of the far future (Wikipedia link)
According to that, unless some universe ending event such as the big rip occurs (which is unlikely based on observations of older galaxies), the universe has roughly anywhere from a trillion to a hundred trillion years until star formation ends. After that point, we have another few trillion years before all the stars out there burn up their fuel. So we can safely be certain that the universe is still pretty young, all things considered. There are likely to be any number of planets that are significantly older than the Earth, but in the grand scheme of things, the Earth will be long gone well before the majority of the planets and stars that will exist do come into existence.

“Compared to all the planets that will ever form in the universe, the Earth is actually quite early,”

Well no duh it would be concerning if Earth was actually one of the last planets to form I mean we still have quite a ways before heat death.

sphinx

the piano man
Kind of gives the reasoning right there in the OP. I'm pretty sure we have hell of a long way to go before the universe implodes.

I understand, I have gone through this info many times, Bigbang, Universe timeline, etc.

I am just amazed that we have such an important clue or piece of the puzzle like is the Big Bang and also when that happened, andthat we are able to figure out at what point in the life of the universe we are existing. It is mind blowing,

Timeline of the far future (Wikipedia link)
According to that, unless some universe ending event such as the big rip occurs (which is unlikely based on observations of older galaxies), the universe has roughly anywhere from a trillion to a hundred trillion years until star formation ends. After that point, we have another few trillion years before all the stars out there burn up their fuel. So we can safely be certain that the universe is still pretty young, all things considered. There are likely to be any number of planets that are significantly older than the Earth, but in the grand scheme of things, the Earth will be long gone well before the majority of the planets and stars that will exist do come into existence.

nice, thanks

DarkKyo

So in other words there are indeed no artificial, alien-built structures around that star 1400 light years away.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom