• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft explains where the Xbox falls into CEO Satya Nadella's master plan

Microsoft explains where the Xbox falls into CEO Satya Nadella's master plan
http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-xbox-and-windows-10-satya-nadella-2015-10

And under the leadership of Phil Spencer, Nadella's appointee to lead Xbox and gaming across the whole world of Microsoft, that plan is working. And Nadella and Spencer are working together to make gaming into a big part of Microsoft's sales pitch to the world.

"He is fully on board with gaming," Senior Global Product Marketing Manager for Xbox Live Mike Lavin says of Nadella.

Plus, the Windows 10 update to Xbox One is going to make it easier for games to enable mutiplayer gaming between the PC and console, which has long been a technical challenge for all the major platforms. Microsoft-published titles like "Gigantic" and "Fable Legends" for Windows 10 and Xbox One will be the first to support it.

Plus, the Windows 10 update to Xbox One is going to make it easier for games to enable mutiplayer gaming between the PC and console, which has long been a technical challenge for all the major platforms. Microsoft-published titles like "Gigantic" and "Fable Legends" for Windows 10 and Xbox One will be the first to support it.

A technical challange that was overcome.

No, they aren't.

ironcreed

Banned
But I thought Xbox was doomed?

herman-cain.gif

It's not going anywhere. The name is too established.

It wasn't a technical challange those games didn't cross play. It's because MS wanted a closed network. FFXI had online cross play between PS2 and PC back in the day because they wanted it.

Ummmm haven't we had cross platform play already?

How is Xb1 the first to support it?

Great to hear that, Xbox must live and get better, for the gaming industry sake

There are a lot of people that will disagree with this, been reading MS should leave the industry for years now. Some people would actually be happy if this was to happen...which is sad.

That's clearly not true, others have come and gone and gaming continued.

It does hold some weight, MS was a huge treat to Sony last gen, do you think Sony would done with the PS4 as they did if they were only competing against Nintendo's current strategy?

Maybe not. Strong competition brings out the best in competitors.

But I thought Xbox was doomed?

herman-cain.gif

It's not going anywhere. The name is too established.

I'm going to bite, but only to make a point.

"XBox" as hardware doesn't need to exist. I have an "XBox" app on this Windows 10 laptop meaning, despite not having XBox Hardware, I have "XBox" access. Xbox as a service rather than a platform? Not saying it's happening, but no one said the name was going anywhere.

It is the first to support it within Microsoft's closed ecosystem.
But, it's not....

Ummmm haven't we had cross platform play already?

How is Xb1 the first to support it?

The only way it makes sense is if they're doing something OS level to make xb1/w10 cooperation easy. Generally games handle it on an individual level. Think about online multiplayer where every game codes matchmaking itself versus using Xbox live or psn or steam. That kind of thing, some kind of API that devs could tap into.

Dunno if that's what they're doing but it would make a lot of sense based on how they're talking about it.

A literal reading of his words is that those games are the first to use whatever their new solution is, they're not saying it's the first to do cross platform mp ever.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm going to bite, but only to make a point.

"XBox" as hardware doesn't need to exist. I have an "XBox" app on this Windows 10 laptop meaning, despite not having XBox Hardware, I have "XBox" access. Xbox as a service rather than a platform? Not saying it's happening, but no one said the name was going anywhere.

But, it's not....

I think the hardware will most definitely still exist, because that is what Xbox at it's core has always been and there is a huge base for it that can still grow if they make the right moves. I simply see it being rolled into the overall Microsoft ecosystem and that is the only thing that will change.

Hardly surprising, it always baffles me when I see people that think MS are just going to suddenly drop gaming.

They have had a part in gaming since the dawn of time on PC's. Games make up a significant percentage of the overall global software output and there's no way they give up their stake in that. It's a huge market.

Now of course they could one day stop making a dedicated console, but that applies to all just the same.

jchap

I remember multiplay with pc and dreamcast in quake arena. You could always spot a dreamcaster trying so hard but completely helpless.

may I suggest that you actually read the entire article? Xbox will be around for a very long time

When Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella first took the job back in early 2014, he laid out a bold vision for the company: "Mobile first, cloud first."

At the time, it didn't seem to mean much.

But in the last year and a half, Microsoft has undergone a radical shift, slowly but surely transitioning into a company that doesn't care what device you use, so long as you're using a Microsoft app on it. It's pretty cool.

Now, with a big update to the Xbox One console coming this November that adds Windows 10 at the core, Nadella's vision is coming to Microsoft's gaming business.

Satya's vision

The real crux of Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella vision is the idea of putting the user first. Want to use Office on an Android tablet? Fine. Want to run Skype on a Mac? Cool.

What's important to CEO Satya Nadella, he's said over and over, is that users love Microsoft. And cloud-based tools like OneDrive and Office 365 make sure that a user's data is consistent, from a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet to an Apple iPhone.

But gaming is a major part of Microsoft's business, too.

There's the Xbox line of video game consoles, which grew from a concept for a living room PC into a major brand in its own right. And the Windows PC has been the platform of choice for super-serious gamers for more than 20 years.

For a long time, the two have been totally separate. But in November, there's a big change coming to the Xbox One, putting a version of the new Windows 10 operating system at the core of the console. That's the same Windows 10 that runs on PCs, tablets, and, soon, with Windows 10 Mobile, on smartphones.

"This means we now have one operating system on all Microsoft devices," says Orullian.

This update does some cool stuff, including a brand-new menu system for Xbox One that reduces the reliance on the Kinect sensor to get around, plus backwards compatibility with a lot of Xbox 360 games from the last generation of hardware.

But in the bigger picture, it means that the door is open for Microsoft to serve gamers the same way it's serving businesspeople, students, and other people who get stuff done.

And under the leadership of Phil Spencer, Nadella's appointee to lead Xbox and gaming across the whole world of Microsoft, that plan is working. And Nadella and Spencer are working together to make gaming into a big part of Microsoft's sales pitch to the world.

"He is fully on board with gaming," Senior Global Product Marketing Manager for Xbox Live Mike Lavin says of Nadella.

Crossover appeal

So far, most of Microsoft's transformation has been focused on productivity.

The Office 365 cloud productivity suite, in particular, is growing beyond its Microsoft Word/PowerPoint/Excel roots, and into a set of useful apps and services that work on Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android, and, oh yeah, Windows Phone.

For gaming, the equivalent is Xbox Live. Microsoft is pushing Xbox Live as the center of your gaming life, across PC and video game console, just as it's pushing Office 365 as the center of your working life.

"It's the glue," says Lavin.

The Xbox app on Windows 10 has a lot of nifty features: You can use it to take and view screenshots and recording from within any PC game. You can use it to view all of your Xbox Live friends, and see what they're playing, either on the console or on the PC.

Best of all, you can actually use it to stream the Xbox One across your local network, letting you play console games right on your Windows 10 PC.

It means that from any computer, you can launch any of your games, Windows or Xbox. And with the Xbox Live service underpinning it, it adds a really sticky social layer that keeps your achivements and friends list consistent between the two.

"It doesn't matter where you are," Lavin says..

"Everything will be unified at some point"

Going forward, putting Windows 10 on the Xbox One is just going to break down even more divisions between the two.

Microsoft has already announced that Cortana, Windows 10's personal digital assistant, is coming to Xbox One sometime next year.

And the Windows Store, Microsoft's app store, will also be combined at some future point with the Xbox's existing digital game store. The advantage there is making it easier for developers to make a game once and sell it everywhere.

The theme here is the gradual blurring of the lines between the Xbox and Windows 10. There's more stuff coming, too, that Orullian can't talk about just yet. But for now, the Xbox One is laying the groundwork.

"Everything will be unified at some point," Orullian says. "This is a really big, important part of that.

Bessy67

I hope they don't go too heavy into cross play. It's fine for games that aren't competitive, but anything with competitive multiplayer the PC players will have an advantage. Obviously for shooters they have an advantage from keyboard/mouse over controller, but even in all other games with competitive multiplayer (racers, fighting games, etc) they'll have the advantage from increased resolution, increased framerate, increased draw distance, etc. I guess it would be OK if they offered separate multiplayer hoppers for console only and cross play, but then that would just fragment the console user base.

Nadella is the best thing to happen to Microsoft in years, the guy just gets it.

No doubt the next few years are going to be exciting ones for the Xbox/Windows Eco system and how the two eventually merge.

Gwyn

When they say first to have cross play i think they mean a better way doing it with xbox app.
You will be able to add friends who play on PC, notifications, party chat...etc

I am not sure if that is possible right now with ps4 cross play on FFIV, maybe i am wrong.

ps3ud0

I get the distinct feeling this is something thats at the OS level rather than individual games - definitely interesting if thats correct

Xbox hardware is going to be Microsofts Steam Machine

ps3ud0 8)

leeh

Ignore this, it's all PR, we all know Xbox is dead due to their retraction of shipping numbers in financial reports.

Dynasty

What are the chances the next Xbox goes with a Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU combination instead of AMD? With the surface pro they have gone with Intel CPU and with the Book they have gone with Intel and NVIDIA for the GPU.

I hope they don't go too heavy into cross play. It's fine for games that aren't competitive, but anything with competitive multiplayer the PC players will have an advantage. Obviously for shooters they have an advantage from keyboard/mouse over controller, but even in all other games with competitive multiplayer (racers, fighting games, etc) they'll have the advantage from increased resolution, increased framerate, increased draw distance, etc. I guess it would be OK if they offered separate multiplayer hoppers for console only and cross play, but then that would just fragment the console user base.

They ever start doing it for shooters and I stop using their console. I don't mind cross-play, but kb/m users and controller users have no place at all competing against each other in fps games competitively. That being said, I'm sure they know that.

leeh

What are the chances the next Xbox goes with a Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU combination instead of AMD? With the surface pro they have gone with Intel CPU and with the Book they have gone with Intel and NVIDIA for the GPU.
I'd personally love them to buy AMD and put first party chips in there. That'd be an interesting next-gen.

Although, back to your post, they'll just go for whoever gives them the best offer at the time.

otakukidd

may I suggest that you actually read the entire article? Xbox will be around for a very long time

When Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella first took the job back in early 2014, he laid out a bold vision for the company: "Mobile first, cloud first."

At the time, it didn't seem to mean much.

But in the last year and a half, Microsoft has undergone a radical shift, slowly but surely transitioning into a company that doesn't care what device you use, so long as you're using a Microsoft app on it. It's pretty cool.

Now, with a big update to the Xbox One console coming this November that adds Windows 10 at the core, Nadella's vision is coming to Microsoft's gaming business.

Satya's vision

The real crux of Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella vision is the idea of putting the user first. Want to use Office on an Android tablet? Fine. Want to run Skype on a Mac? Cool.

What's important to CEO Satya Nadella, he's said over and over, is that users love Microsoft. And cloud-based tools like OneDrive and Office 365 make sure that a user's data is consistent, from a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet to an Apple iPhone.

But gaming is a major part of Microsoft's business, too.

There's the Xbox line of video game consoles, which grew from a concept for a living room PC into a major brand in its own right. And the Windows PC has been the platform of choice for super-serious gamers for more than 20 years.

For a long time, the two have been totally separate. But in November, there's a big change coming to the Xbox One, putting a version of the new Windows 10 operating system at the core of the console. That's the same Windows 10 that runs on PCs, tablets, and, soon, with Windows 10 Mobile, on smartphones.

"This means we now have one operating system on all Microsoft devices," says Orullian.

This update does some cool stuff, including a brand-new menu system for Xbox One that reduces the reliance on the Kinect sensor to get around, plus backwards compatibility with a lot of Xbox 360 games from the last generation of hardware.

But in the bigger picture, it means that the door is open for Microsoft to serve gamers the same way it's serving businesspeople, students, and other people who get stuff done.

Crossover appeal

So far, most of Microsoft's transformation has been focused on productivity.

The Office 365 cloud productivity suite, in particular, is growing beyond its Microsoft Word/PowerPoint/Excel roots, and into a set of useful apps and services that work on Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android, and, oh yeah, Windows Phone.

For gaming, the equivalent is Xbox Live. Microsoft is pushing Xbox Live as the center of your gaming life, across PC and video game console, just as it's pushing Office 365 as the center of your working life.

"It's the glue," says Lavin.

The Xbox app on Windows 10 has a lot of nifty features: You can use it to take and view screenshots and recording from within any PC game. You can use it to view all of your Xbox Live friends, and see what they're playing, either on the console or on the PC.

Best of all, you can actually use it to stream the Xbox One across your local network, letting you play console games right on your Windows 10 PC.

It means that from any computer, you can launch any of your games, Windows or Xbox. And with the Xbox Live service underpinning it, it adds a really sticky social layer that keeps your achivements and friends list consistent between the two.

"It doesn't matter where you are," Lavin says..

"Everything will be unified at some point"

Going forward, putting Windows 10 on the Xbox One is just going to break down even more divisions between the two.

Microsoft has already announced that Cortana, Windows 10's personal digital assistant, is coming to Xbox One sometime next year.

And the Windows Store, Microsoft's app store, will also be combined at some future point with the Xbox's existing digital game store. The advantage there is making it easier for developers to make a game once and sell it everywhere.

The theme here is the gradual blurring of the lines between the Xbox and Windows 10. There's more stuff coming, too, that Orullian can't talk about just yet. But for now, the Xbox One is laying the groundwork.

"Everything will be unified at some point," Orullian says. "This is a really big, important part of that.
So if his vision is for customers to be first and allow services on competing platforms, then that mean they are going to start making PlayStation games. Very shrwed microsoft ,very shrwed.

Deku Tree

I thought people used to say that cross play technology (like in Final Fantasy between PS and PS4) was long available but MS didn't allow it on Xbox as a policy?

Will cross play be allowed between steam and X1 or just with Windows 10?

TDLink

He says he's fully on board with gaming, that doesn't necessarily mean he is fully on board with Xbox. I think it's clear they are transitioning away from home consoles and moving towards just PC games. They're still keeping Xbox alive this gen (Nadella sort of inherited it so he doesn't have a choice) but with it getting a Windows 10 update and many of Microsoft's previously exclusive games coming to PC (either already or via Windows 10 in the next year) it seems pretty clear that this transition is happening.

BokehKing

Banned

deadman69

I thought people used to say that cross play technology (like in Final Fantasy between PS and PS4) was long available but MS didn't allow it on Xbox as a policy?

Will cross play be allowed between steam and X1 or just with Windows 10?

i feel like there might end up being two pc versions of games, one on the windows 10 store and one on steam/other pc stores that won't be playable with each other.

ironcreed

Banned
He's shown more public support for Xbox than Ballmer did for one thing.

The brand is a household name and is too big to bail on. It's just not going to happen.

They will spend the rest of this gen making the Xbox One the best it can be, while continuing this unification of everything into the Windows ecosystem. Then, who is to say that they can't knock it out of the park next gen with a system that gets it right from launch and makes everyone want one?

leeh

Rather hear Nadella say it, not an underling
Makes it sound like something he just signs off on and knows nothing about what is really going on with it
So a CEO just sits there, signs something, shakes some peoples hands and doesn't understand what an entire division of his company is doing? It doesn't sound like that at all, it's just someone being asked a question.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Then, who is to say that they can't knock it out of the park next gen with a system that gets it right from launch and makes everyone want one?

What would MS gain from launching yet another Xbox console?

Withnail

Technical challenge that everybody else overcame ages ago? Well done MS.

Lazaro

The Xbox API on other platforms is interesting. Age of Empires Castle Siege allows you to sync your progress from an iOS and Windows/Phone device and vice versa. You can earn Xbox achievements too on both platforms I believe. Microsoft has been decent with creating Xbox interest through mobile gaming.

I hope Nintendo's approach is similar for the company's sake.

Rather hear Nadella say it, not an underling
Makes it sound like something he just signs off on and knows nothing about what is really going on with it

To be fair Nadella has given the Xbox brand and gaming in general a significant presence at a lot of their Win10 press events.

It would also have been him that signed off on the Minecraft acquisition. What this actually means for gaming going forward is open to interpretation but I would say the future looks positive, they aren't getting away from the gaming side of things anytime soon.

leeh

Technical challenge that everybody else overcame ages ago? Well done MS.
I'd say its not the aspect of just cross platform play, more so the aspect of cross platform play under the same service. For example, cross buy is now enabled, same achievements, profile, party chat between platforms. It's all under the Xbox banner rather than just a 360 & PS2 in the same game for example.

ironcreed

Banned
What would MS gain from launching yet another Xbox console?

You make it sound as if there is no way that they can still grow by releasing a compelling product that gets it right from the start. But maybe you are right. I guess that they should totally just abandon the base they have grown and the in-roads they have made with Xbox Live on that hardware and only offer Xbox as a service. That will really make everyone happy and win more over.

There will be another Xbox, just as there will be another PlayStation and soon a new Nintendo. Wait and see.

Top Bottom