• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creations made in Dreams can be exported to Unity and 3D printers

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
hLfd2Oz.jpg

Is there anything more tedious than people explaining their dreams? In conversation, perhaps not. But what if they could craft their dreams in 3D, and take you on a journey into those worlds?

Media Molecule (MM), the studio behind Little Big Planet and Tearaway, wants to make that possible. Their next project for PS4, titled (straightforwardly), Dreams, is essentially a crafting tool to let players suck out their subconscious for the rest of the world to explore.

All of this will rely on the creativity of Dreams players, of course. But crucially, MM says, their work won't be stuck in their walled garden. Everything players make in Dreams can be exported -- to the game development platform Unity, for instance, or to 3D printers. If this works, Dreams (and the PS4) could instantly become one of the most creative tools in digital arts. If hints at other companion software, perhaps for Apple's iPad, are realised, Dreams might be much more than a video game. Full-length animated movies, for instance, could be created in Dreams -- and MM really hopes that artists will pick up that challenge.

Source.

Export me to Nokia N-Gage if old

Slaythe

If this works the other way around ( refining assets with tablets ) this is going the biggest game of this generation.

Unless there's a lot more to dreams than what I've seen, nope.
Yeah you're most likely right. The hype just got to me. Still a very exciting stuff. Have you seen media molecule livestrean a couple days ago. They show video of some of their 3d model creation and the versatility is amazing. From organic modelling, architecture like house and castle to hard survace model like cars and tanks.

That video got me hyped so much

Cardon

This game is just nuts in how ambitious and deep its going to be. Really excited to see what the community does with this and I'm personally hyped to make the ReBoot game I've been dreaming of.

Man

It'll probably be in some Unreal friendly format, too. Neat.
Will probably export in a universal polygonal 3D format ala Collada (which was originally created by Sony PlayStation many years ago) or fbx.
I'm guessing 3D printers will need some form of CAD format, dunno.

Walpurgis

Banned
It will be interesting to sculpt stuff with the Move and export it to Unity. Maybe my stuff won't look like shit this time.

DryvBy

Didn't they have a 3D printed thing on Twitter earlier? I'm pretty much buying this program/app/game now. For sure.

oti

Banned
So, if hackers found a way to import unity stuff into Dreams, wouldn't that be a potential way to get homebrew stuff going?

Danlord

WIRED article, regarding VR -

There are also implications for virtual reality. MM recently gained the talents of Anton Mikhailov, previously one of the creative minds behind PlayStation VR at Sony, so it seems obvious there will be a crossover at some stage -- though the company is remaining (relatively) tight lipped for now.

"Let's just say there are dev kits on our desks," Evans said. "We haven't actually focused on it yet, so I can't announce VR in Dreams, but we joke that it could be the defining game in VR. When we're feeling bold. I do think that sculpting and creating in VR is just the most empowering feeling. You're in this world, immersed, and can create and change it. We're got to try it."

I know they're not ready to commit to VR right now, given they're perfecting their engine and their tools and I'm fine with that, I like that they're experimenting with it and already feel it will become important for VR, which I agree with. Combining with the fact you can export your creations too is brilliant.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The 'Arc de Triomphe' sculpt, printed, is pretty cool too:

CSZxVFQUcAEyYBr.jpg

And a nice example of a less organic, more precise sculpt.

Top Bottom